IGNORED

Nige on “No Tippy Tappy Football” podcast - send your questions!

exAtyeoMax

25 minutes ago, Selred said:

Overall under Manning are we going in the right direction? Taking in his full period, no. Are we pretty static? Yes.

I think this is a fair point.

I wasn't much of a fan of Pearson post sorting out the terrible situation he was in when joining where he did fantastic to steady the ship and begin rebuilding. I found his interviews a bit boring and there was just something about the way he spoke to people I wasn't keen on. Manning as a different interview technique but is equally as boring!

I think Pearson should have been given more time and support and in terms of the football being played, we've gone from a counter attack at pace team to a probe the opposition until there is space team. Personally I prefer the second style of football.

Ultimately the change from Pearson to Manning hasn't changed results and we've had a sort of change in playing style.

If however, SL, JL, BT, etc didn't get on with Pearson for whatever reason, surely they would have been less inclined to financially support him with players, etc whereas if they like & support Manning they will give him what he wants/needs ala LJ? This last bit isn't in anything in relation to what you said @Selred just my lunchtime ramblings!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grifty said:

If however, SL, JL, BT, etc didn't get on with Pearson for whatever reason, surely they would have been less inclined to financially support him with players, etc whereas if they like & support Manning they will give him what he wants/needs ala LJ? This last bit isn't in anything in relation to what you said @Selred just my lunchtime ramblings!

This would worry me. Under Pearson I'm confident 80% of our signings would of been good. Under Manning, not so sure.

Mebude, never plays.

TGH, signed but doesn't feature as much now.

Twine, expensive to remain mid table.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Considering we've just gone 6 unbeaten, it would suggest that we are heading in the right direction. There is an absurd amount of fart in this thread. It properly stinks of embarrassment, and trying to grasp at things to have a moan at, which is mental considering recent results and direction we're heading.  Tins, or whoever it was, has made the right decision at the time of writing, whether you like it or not. 

We can't do anything about the past, so why are we continually obsessing over it? We can't change it by repeating the same storyline over and over and over and over again.... 

I'm excited for next season. I'm excited in the direction we are heading, and I'm feeling positive about it. 

COYR'S 

This thread is about a podcast with which Nige was involved and which touched on his time with us, and the circumstances in which he left.

There are others which discuss our LM and the virtues, or otherwise,  of our present form. There is no reason why we can’t discuss both topics, I don’t really understand why you’d have difficulty with that,  or feel the need to bring LM into this thread. 

I for one separate the two issues, NP shouldn’t have been sacked in the way he was imo, but LM, good or bad, is where we are now. 

if you don’t want to discuss NP’s  sacking fine, ignore this thread and just contribute to one’s discussing LM 

Edited by Ashtongreight
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Then the club should have been honest. It’s the lies that have pissed me off since he was sacked & was the clincher in me not renewing my season ticket. Always love the club but I detest Jon Lansdown & his old man’s attitude to us as fans (sorry customers) only qualification he has to run our club is being born with a silver spoon . He’s a bafoon 

buf·foon

noun
  1. a ridiculous but amusing person; a clown

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

This would worry me. Under Pearson I'm confident 80% of our signings would of been good. Under Manning, not so sure.

Mebude, never plays.

TGH, signed but doesn't feature as much now.

Twine, expensive to remain mid table.

I understand. You could say Mebude was a loan to view if he's any good. He's not, so nothing lost. TGH was signed on loan under Pearson no? He's been injured a bit and Knight Williams/James has been in form so no need to break them up but provides good competition/cover at worst.

Twine is another loan to see if he's good enough. If he really enjoys his loan that could knock a few grand a week off any wages demands. Fee yes would be expensive.

It will be an interesting summer with regards to transfer targets!

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

I understand. You could say Mebude was a loan to view if he's any good. He's not, so nothing lost. TGH was signed on loan under Pearson no? He's been injured a bit and Knight Williams/James has been in form so no need to break them up but provides good competition/cover at worst.

Twine is another loan to see if he's good enough. If he really enjoys his loan that could knock a few grand a week off any wages demands. Fee yes would be expensive.

It will be an interesting summer with regards to transfer targets!

Mebude has hardly played competitively since joining, plus was out of favour in Belgium. Just odd.

TGH, was a Pearson signing but played under Pearson. 

Twine, Manning worked with him and we can see how he was at Burnley and Hull previously. Wouldn't of been cheap to loan in, and he won't take a pay cut if he doesn't need to (it's a job at the end of the day, would you?).

To bring us closer to some sort of closure, I think Steve Lansdown should, and could easily, front up when the season's over, and just apologise for poor messaging around the Pearson sacking. That needs to be followed by a glowing appraisal of the work Pearson did (and best wishes to him).

That mea culpa and act of gratitude would make a world of difference to the relationship with the fans.

But unfortunately, I don't think many ludicrously wealthy people feel they have to apologise for anything, or accept other people's best interests. At least not this one.

Literally all we need is a couple of minutes of grace and selflessness, and then we can draw a line under it.

• Like 10
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

55 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I mean this sounds like another massive lie. 

"Where I do have some sympathy with the Lansdowns is Nige's health. A current as yet undiagnosed neurological condition that is basically making Nige immobile would have to be a consideration if you are thinking about giving him a longer contract.  It sounds quite concerning to me.

Football is a ruthless business and, where possible, you do need everyone firing at 100%. 

Nige seems unbothered by it, which is a great mentality to have, but I think we have to accept it must be at least a point of consideration for the owners going forward"

Your comments about Nigels health is why you are on my ignore list.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

To bring us closer to some sort of closure, I think Steve Lansdown should, and could easily, front up when the season's over, and just apologise for poor messaging around the Pearson sacking. That needs to be followed by a glowing appraisal of the work Pearson did (and best wishes to him).

That mea culpa and act of gratitude would make a world of difference to the relationship with the fans.

But unfortunately, I don't think many ludicrously wealthy people feel they have to apologise for anything, or accept other people's best interests. At least not this one.

Literally all we need is a couple of minutes of grace and selflessness, and then we can draw a line under it.

I get the sentiment but I think it's too late for that. 

• Like 1

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

I get the sentiment but I think it's too late for that. 

Fair enough. It won't happen anyway 🤣

The kind of apology you would get from Steve L is "Maybe we could have done things differently but..."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

A bit of humility from Lansdown would go a long way, but personally I don’t see any coming back from this for him. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

"Where I do have some sympathy with the Lansdowns is Nige's health. A current as yet undiagnosed neurological condition that is basically making Nige immobile would have to be a consideration if you are thinking about giving him a longer contract.  It sounds quite concerning to me.

Football is a ruthless business and, where possible, you do need everyone firing at 100%. 

Nige seems unbothered by it, which is a great mentality to have, but I think we have to accept it must be at least a point of consideration for the owners going forward"

Your comments about Nigels health is why you are on my ignore list.

Seems to be a pretty reasonable assessment that. Not like he was throwing expletives around telling him to get the **** out if the club etc. you’d never see people saying that about people at our club right??

• Flames 1

Just now, Barrs Court Red said:

Mr “Judge me on Tinnion” doesn’t do humility. 

No indeed and not expecting it mate. He lost me with the infamous “it’s my club” comment a few years ago. He’s just doubling down for me all the time now. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, One Team said:

A bit of humility from Lansdown would go a long way, but personally I don’t see any coming back from this for him. 

I think the bittersweet element here is that if we, by some minor miracle, finish top 6 next season, then the board could argue that they were justified in bringing in Manning when they did and managing the budget how they did. 

2 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Seems to be a pretty reasonable assessment that. Not like he was throwing expletives around telling him to get the **** out if the club etc. you’d never see people saying that about people at our club right??

Just think its very crass for anyone to support someone losing their job because of health issues. 

No one is saying to the Lansdowns get out of our club because of health issues and if that situation happened I'd call that out too. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, grifty said:

I think this is a fair point.

I wasn't much of a fan of Pearson post sorting out the terrible situation he was in when joining where he did fantastic to steady the ship and begin rebuilding. I found his interviews a bit boring and there was just something about the way he spoke to people I wasn't keen on. Manning as a different interview technique but is equally as boring!

I think Pearson should have been given more time and support and in terms of the football being played, we've gone from a counter attack at pace team to a probe the opposition until there is space team. Personally I prefer the second style of football.

Ultimately the change from Pearson to Manning hasn't changed results and we've had a sort of change in playing style.

Condensed version....

They wanted a YES man....

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think the bittersweet element here is that if we, by some minor miracle, finish top 6 next season, then the board could argue that they were justified in bringing in Manning when they did and managing the budget how they did. 

That's too removed from the sacking. If we'd managed it this season without a squad/team overhaul, then maybe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That's too removed from the sacking. If we'd managed it this season without a squad/team overhaul, then maybe. 

Yeah multiple factors could change between now and then. And ultimately even if they spunked £20m on the squad in the summer, I think threads like this show the damage is pretty much done.

People didn’t have an issue with the sacking (although they may have disagreed with the decision, that will always happen), it’s more how it was done - and most pertinently, the communications thereafter. Contrition now is too little, too late and although we may get success in the future, the wound in the damage they did with the fanbase is just too deep to recover.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

We can't do anything about the past, so why are we continually obsessing over it? 

.... because, the rumination about what might have been or was not been distracts us from the anxiety of what will be and the inevitable failure and disappointment/disaster of the fast-approaching future. Try it!

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah multiple factors could change between now and then. And ultimately even if they spunked £20m on the squad in the summer, I think threads like this show the damage is pretty much done.

People didn’t have an issue with the sacking (although they may have disagreed with the decision, that will always happen), it’s more how it was done - and most pertinently, the communications thereafter. Contrition now is too little, too late and although we may get success in the future, the wound in the damage they did with the fanbase is just too deep to recover.

But we're all supposed to be happy and forget about these things because we've gone 6 unbeaten and are doing as well as we did last season. 

I know I'm an outspoken poster, but I don't let results blind my views. Ultimately for each and every one of us, Bristol City and how it is run should be the number 1 concern and its been run very very badly. 

What really hurts my stomach is that we try and portray ourselves as a caring community club but actually we are not. There are some really good people that work within the club don't get me wrong. But the reality is it is very cut throat at bcfc and very clicky. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Just think its very crass for anyone to support someone losing their job because of health issues. 

No-one has done that though. You said some people were calling for Nige to be sacked because of health issues, which is not true. 

For starters, at the time of his sacking hardly anyone (myself included) wanted him sacked. And secondly, the full extent of his health problems and the seriousness of them were not known. 

There's enough criticism to be levelled at the club and their handling of the sacking without retrospectively making stuff up which didn't happen. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, lenred said:

Any decent employer would’ve given him the time and space to get better if that is what was needed.   We had cover and could’ve got more if needed.   Let’s not pretend City have done him any favours whatsoever here.  

What, like Birmingham have with Tony Mowbray…….can be done.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

2024? That would just reinforce it! 

* I had an issue with the sacking but that's irrelevant in this discussion. 

16 hours ago, petehinton said:

It’s either…

- JL is making decisions & conversations above Tinns role without consulting him, almost rendering him redundant 

- JL & Tinns had the conversation, and were in agreement, and Tinns never brought it up to Pearson

- JL just made it up as a throw away comment/perception off the cuff in the interview 

Not such which would be the worst tbh!

3. It's the most crass

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Feel very vindicated in not renewing my ST for next season after listening to that.

Same here. Felt like I'd have been enabling their behaviour.  I'm in a minority though so watch them get bolder with their bullshit..

• Like 1

if they had kept Nige on and we had,or very nearly made top six, it would have been much more difficult to not renew his contract as opposed to on a string of bad results.  this is where i think they saw the health thing as a good excuse to pull the trigger early so as they werent put in a difficult situation later on. that would explain the lies about the results being the reason.

i do know the coaching staff etc all believed they were on the verge of success, probably why lansdown hid the scott money as he knew he didnt want nige as manager any longer than he had to.

basically,they used him to get them out of the shit and his job was done. 

thats just my take on it, all will come out one day by which time everyone will have moved on and it wont matter any more. to the majority anyway.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

53 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well said.

• Thanks 1