IGNORED

Nige on “No Tippy Tappy Football” podcast - send your questions!

exAtyeoMax

If anyone has seen the brilliant TV comedy series, The Thick Of It, that's kind of how I imagine the sacking of Nige. 

First of all, the board members, led by Jon, probably passed on the message to Nige in a vague and cowardly way, then scarpered and hid in a store cupboard whilst Nige stomped around the HPC demanding answers. After Nige drives off, they come out to brainstorm how they're going to communicate the sacking without pissing off the fans, which of course spectacularly fails.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You're choosing to use that metric to fit your arguement. 

You will see from my posts I've very deliberately avoided any talk of managers and focused on us. You're the one bringing up managers in an attempt to once again make it a Manning Vs Pearson debate. 

I appreciate no one wants a Nige v Liam debate (sorry guys!!), but it's the easiest way to point out your double standard. 

18 minutes ago, One Team said:

I’ve said here before Fevs I heard he was involved in both the sacking and the appointment. I get your points but I’ve a different opinion based on I was told by an impeccable source. 

Yes Manning was 100% Tins appointment, and as you say he was clearly instrumental in Pearson's removal too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 4

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just imagine though, if you’d used those limited funds in August rather than January!  That’s always been a big thing for me.  I will never be able to square that off in my head, coupled with “you want a CB, here’s Daniel Ayala”.  Hey ho!

“…and that was the crayoning snake with their August chart topper “Wilful Sabotage”

IMG_2944.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just imagine though, if you’d used those limited funds in August rather than January!  That’s always been a big thing for me.  I will never be able to square that off in my head, coupled with “you want a CB, here’s Daniel Ayala”.  Hey ho!

The bit I don't get though is that we don't actually need that money really, do we. We need the FFP headroom, not the money itself. 

And there's obviously a time factor there, so it's not like you can save the money and use it a few years later instead, that's not how it works. To make the best use of what selling a player really gets us - 3 years or whatever of FFP headroom, you need to use it asap. We've sort of lost 1/3 of the Scott money by doing nothing.

• Flames 1

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

If anyone has seen the brilliant TV comedy series, The Thick Of It, that's kind of how I imagine the sacking of Nige. 

First of all, the board members, led by Jon, probably passed on the message to Nige in a vague and cowardly way, then scarpered and hid in a store cupboard whilst Nige stomped around the HPC demanding answers. After Nige drives off, they come out to brainstorm how they're going to communicate the sacking without pissing off the fans, which of course spectacularly fails.

“Well that was a ******* disaster”

IMG_0975.png

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

The bit I don't get though is that we don't actually need that money really, do we. We need the FFP headroom, not the money itself. 

And there's obviously a time factor there, so it's not like you can save the money and use it a few years later instead, that's not how it works. To make the best use of what selling a player really gets us - 3 years or whatever of FFP headroom, you need to use it asap. We've sort of lost 1/3 of the Scott money by doing nothing.

But SL won’t have to put in as much! 👀

2 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Maybe there was an concern that deconditioning issue would be dismissed/excused/not listened to by the incumbent manager - or that they perhaps had deliberately caused them through poor management or maybe to make a point🤷‍♂️ 

How would they find out if they werent even communicating with him?

They'd already decided to part terms by that point imo. Its just an excuse made up after the fact.

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, mozo said:

I appreciate no one wants a Nige v Liam debate (sorry guys!!), but it's the easiest way to point out your double standard. 

Depends on the viewpoint of whether you're convinced by Manning, surely?
I'm not such myself, neither I assume is WSM; there arent many things to cheer about for LM in the context of the overall season (and not just the context of the last 5) - he's only just recovered to the position we were in the league at the point he came in (having just had an injury crisis), so I myself am undecided on Manning for example. Depends on what context the double standard marker is being applied.

It also depends on by what metric we're rating Liam insofar - i.e. personal view, or by the metric of the (unrealistic) targets set by the hierarchy, including those aside of league position such as player and academy development.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, eardun said:

Actually that points the finger at JL rather than BT as NP says that if JL had any issues re deconditioning he could have spoken to BT to understand the position. 

Its slightly vague - as it could also be barbed to insinuate that JL had spoken to BT, thereby that BT should or would have backed NP.
The latter didn't happen; and I'd be shocked if, as appointed technical director, that BT hadn't known NP was going to be sacked before it was announced.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Depends on the viewpoint of whether you're convinced by Manning, surely?
I'm not such myself, neither I assume is WSM; there arent many things to cheer about for LM in the context of the overall season (and not just the context of the last 5) - he's only just recovered to the position we were in the league at the point he came in (having just had an injury crisis), so I myself am undecided on Manning for example. Depends on what context the double standard marker is being applied.

It also depends on by what metric we're rating Liam insofar - i.e. personal view, or by the metric of the (unrealistic) targets set by the hierarchy, including those aside of league position such as player and academy development.

I've got no issue with people doubting Manning. What I was pointing out to Mr Seagull, was that his assessment that Manning should have won certain "winnable games" is a daft way to assess, because all managers drop points against teams they should beat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

- Heard in an “interview” afterwards that players were in danger of being deconditioned and the chairman should have talked to the technical director

I’ve listened to this part a couple of times.  Surely Nigel would have phrased this differently if he suspected BT & JL we’re conspiring against him.  Does this exonerate BT of being a snake?  

5 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

I’ve listened to this part a couple of times.  Surely Nigel would have phrased this differently if he suspected BT & JL we’re conspiring against him.  Does this exonerate BT of being a snake?  

It’s either…

- JL is making decisions & conversations above Tinns role without consulting him, almost rendering him redundant 

- JL & Tinns had the conversation, and were in agreement, and Tinns never brought it up to Pearson

- JL just made it up as a throw away comment/perception off the cuff in the interview 

Not such which would be the worst tbh!

17 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Its slightly vague - as it could also be barbed to insinuate that JL had spoken to BT, thereby that BT should or would have backed NP.
The latter didn't happen; and I'd be shocked if, as appointed technical director, that BT hadn't known NP was going to be sacked before it was announced.

Nige was just commenting on the deconditioned point.

Of course BT would have been told about the sacking before it was announced but 1. that’s a different point, 2. It would have been ridiculous if he wasn’t told and 3. there is no way that the decision to sack was anyone’s other than the Lansdowns. 

58 minutes ago, mozo said:

No double standards here because if you go right the way back to pre season I said I expected us to improve from being 11 points off the table that we finished last season.

So that's being consistent with both managers. Because I don't see it as manager Vs manager, I see it as us, Bristol City. 

If we had Pearson here or any other manager I'd have expected that 11 point gap to narrow. I was very very clear about this in pre season. 

25 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

Not if his position on disparaging the club with regards to the NDA that Allardyce raised is to keep himself above it all. "Ask me in 12 months" etc.

He's just enjoying his time off - no reason to risk his pay-off over it I'd assume.

Not sure if anyone picked up on it but he mentioned Plymouth and it appeared to be deliberate and then it went very quiet as if his interest in the job was discussed 'off camera' or am I 2nd guessing?

They could do alot worse....

With regards to his dismissal, the comments Nige made clearly indicated that he was a tad frustrated with how it was all dealt with. Stinks really and a bit 2 bit.

I don't think he will speak very highly of the owners when he has the opportunity but with regards to our fanbase, he will be enormously complimentary....

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

44 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Not if his position on disparaging the club with regards to the NDA that Allardyce raised is to keep himself above it all. "Ask me in 12 months" etc.

He's just enjoying his time off - no reason to risk his pay-off over it I'd assume.

I think it just shows the sincerity of the man that he is that he could respond to their bullshit, but hasn't. Proper class that. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

It's arrived 

Only just started listening, but one thing that made me laugh.

When asked "are confidentiality clauses forever " Nine replies "ask me in 12 months time" :laughcont:

I liked Nige from day 1 & still consider him to be the best I've seen in charge of BCFC since I've been a supporter since the age of 7yrs, I'm now 76 yrs. In saying that I honestly hope that LM does well & I do support him hoping he's not just another person hung out to dry like so many more before him, but the first 10 mins of this interview enforces to me what 2 faced back stabbing b+++++++ds are running OUR club. The sooner things change at the very top the better as far as I'm concerned, I wish Nige nothing but the very best in the future.

The man is all class!.

Edited by bpexile
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

This thread isn’t good reading, pretty pissed off with Tinnion, so if true he has been instrumental in the sacking of Wilson and Pearson? 

Wilson was loved by fans from memory although looking back now if he would have sorted the drinking culture out I think we would have been promoted.

Pearson completely turns the club around, makes the Lansdowns lots of money by progressing some youth players (although I guess he had no choice) and is again loved by majority of the fans base.

Sounds like Tinnion gets a bit jealous to me

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

Manning shouldn’t be the debate in this thread. He was the one chosen to take the reins after Pearson, that’s not his doing. Whether you think we have progressed under him, if you are content/happy with the football on offer, that’s to be debated elsewhere.

What should be discussed on this thread is what was suspected all along, which was the total lack of respect and appreciation those running the show had for Nige. The man who was tasked with getting this club back on track following years of reckless ownership and blind faith in poor managers. He achieved this and more in my book. A togetherness between players and fans we hadn’t seen since Cotts. It was one of those rare situations where fans were on the managers side yet the board wanted rid.

At the end of the day, if it was results, personality clashes, Nige’s health… the reason becomes almost redundant. What is clear is the way in which SL, JL and BT made an absolute shitshow of things and why Nige shouldn’t even give them the time of day.

Edited by formerly known as ivan
  • Like 13
  • Flames 6

5 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

This thread isn’t good reading, pretty pissed off with Tinnion, so if true he has been instrumental in the sacking of Wilson and Pearson? 

Wilson was loved by fans from memory although looking back now if he would have sorted the drinking culture out I think we would have been promoted.

Pearson completely turns the club around, makes the Lansdowns lots of money by progressing some youth players (although I guess he had no choice) and is again loved by majority of the fans base.

Sounds like Tinnion gets a bit jealous to me

"Sounds like tinnion gets a bit jealous to me"

I think you have that spot on he does come across like that at times.

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

The man who was tasked with getting this club back on track following years of reckless ownership and blind faith in poor managers. He achieved this and more in my book. A togetherness between players and fans we hadn’t seen since Cotts. It was one of those rare situations where fans were on the managers side yet the board wanted rid.

At the end of the day, if it was results, personality clashes, Nige’s health… the reason becomes almost redundant. What is clear is the way in which SL, JL and BT made an absolute shitshow of things and why Nige shouldn’t even give them the time of day.

Exactly my thoughts, what Nige & his team did for this/OUR club was exceptional & he should have had the backing to see what could have been achieved, he was let down badly.

Edited by bpexile
  • Like 7
  • Flames 2

The most important thing is Nige’s health and it’s great to hear that he is getting better. I don’t know if Nige visits this forum but in case he does I send my best wishes for a continued and complete recovery. 

Edited by Redland
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1