IGNORED

Liam Pre Rotherham

Just to prove it doesn’t only happen when things are bad. I’ll take a wild guess as to which bullet will get the most attention…!

- Vyner has a chance but very unlikely to be fit

- Doesn’t see it as a specific test of playing a lower team, more about how we play

- Unsure what expectations were post break. Definitely feels there is progress, more resilience and fight - really enjoyed a lot of us with the ball against Norwich and started post second half well, playing with purpose

- Noted matched points from last season so want to beat that with two to go. Referenced he thinks we’ve been good defensively consistently, pointing to QPR, Cardiff, Ipswich

- Looking forward to time on grass in pre season, heavy schedule post Christmas. Happy with where group are at and now about fine tuning

- Conversations with OOC players haven’t happened as yet (I’d say that’s a lie…!)

- Thinks Joe Williams has done well recently but been helped by those around him, credit to the staff and coaches as that’s what they do in improving players and most have

- Haydon Roberts not seen as backup. Had to be patient but has done well. Didn’t answer question as to what he’s seen as (fullback or centre half)

- Medube - looked decent in training and might get an opportunity (I think that’s the second lie)

- Thinks Norwich goal offside, Cornick onside

- Watched 21s yesterday - were some decent bits, attitude good, Brian’s done a great job, behaviours were right. Didn’t name a specific player. Watching 18s later

- Knight-Lebel comment - taken off after 60 minutes as back injury as opposed to plans for first team

- Need more goals from across the team

- “People misread what I say and don’t listen properly at times. I want players to be emotional but recognise you need to be in control and not make rash actions” In training gave bad decisions in game to work on reactions (I do that with 12 year olds so wholeheartedly back it!)

- Psychology plays a big part in recruitment- need to understand the whole package, sometimes don’t understand that until they’re in the door. Look at recovery, positioning as these tend to be focus and desire behaviours - the team are very good at that

- Knights current position; has done a great job there, the group understand how to play positions now. Asked if it was a long term plan or had developed - said it wasn’t a plan long term and LM is adaptable and likes to tweak things. Knight is now running less/smarter.

- Conway - no update. Want to keep him, he has an offer. Loves working with him. Thinks Conway has improved this season and should score 15+ a season, Twine helps that.

- Body alignment coach visiting the club. Wasn’t Liams decision. End of season need each department needs to review how they work.

- Every day of pre season is planned already in terms of session, running distance etc.

Again, pretty relaxed (as expected). The comment of people not listening was a bit barbed - but it’s also no coincidence he’s got better at communicating as he’s got more relaxed and it was a large part of he wasn’t articulating as well. (And tbf I had noted I think he said emotion when he meant focus and he’s using it in a different context here). That whole section was pretty interesting and is worth a listen.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8
  • Facepalm 1

• Admin

On the point about contract discussions, it seems a common theme when other Managers and players are asked they usually say it's not discussed until the end of the season so no reason to disbelief what he said 

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

- Conversations with OOC players haven’t happened as yet (I’d say that’s a lie…!)

I'd tend to agree.

- Medube - looked decent in training and might get an opportunity (I think that’s the second lie)

I agree again , otherwise he would have had a few more minutes at least.

- “People misread what I say and don’t listen properly at times. I want players to be emotional but recognise you need to be in control and not make rash actions” In training gave bad decisions in game to work on reactions (I do that with 12 year olds so wholeheartedly back it!)

The comment of people not listening was a bit barbed - but it’s also no coincidence he’s got better at communicating as he’s got more relaxed and it was a large part of he wasn’t articulating as well.

Yep ,any misunderstanding is more to do with how he put it IMO.

- Knights current position; has done a great job there, the group understand how to play positions now. Asked if it was a long term plan or had developed - said it wasn’t a plan long term and LM is adaptable and likes to tweak things. Knight is now running less/smarter.

I said when he was playing that 10 role, he was trying to do too much pressing, he was a headless chicken at times. I still say that role doesn't suit him and the deeper role is a much better fit. But what do I know?

- Conway - no update. Want to keep him, he has an offer. Loves working with him. Thinks Conway has improved this season and should score 15+ a season, Twine helps that.

More service helps that wherever and whoever that comes from. Sound like he's placing all his cards on getting Twine.

Again, pretty relaxed (as expected). The comment of people not listening was a bit barbed - but it’s also no coincidence he’s got better at communicating as he’s got more relaxed and it was a large part of he wasn’t articulating as well. (And tbf I had noted I think he said emotion when he meant focus and he’s using it in a different context here). That whole section was pretty interesting and is worth a listen.

Thanks Silvio , I do struggle to stay with these Pressers so appreciate your work.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

On the point about contract discussions, it seems a common theme when other Managers and players are asked they usually say it's not discussed until the end of the season so no reason to disbelief what he said 

I think it’s a case of a collective fib. From both sides perspective, once the division they are in is known (or even highly likely) then there is no reason for as a minimum representatives not to talk. In practical terms discussions start a long way before that.

Anything else is naive. Why would the head coach and TD have:

- Identified the players they want (confirmed ongoing)

- Planned pre season in intense detail (confirmed)

…but not spoken to members of the squad to determine if they’re going to (or likely to) stay and how that wage impacts the budget. The point fundamentally feeds the recruitment strategy and leaving it until 5th May wastes a lot of time where replanning/rebasing will be needed thereafter.

It’s a dance. We know he’s fibbing. He knows we know he’s fibbing. 

• Like 3

I thought it was a decent interview. He makes a point of trying to dispel the OTIB/social media myth that he's a robot and doesn't want emotion to be part of football. He denies that, and said they even covered it in training. He wants us to have fight, and to be on the fine line between emotion and control.

Edit: Also lots of 'behaviours' chat. He goes into what they're talking about. Self-explanatory to be fair, but might of interest to the people who get riled by him using the B-word.

Finally, I don't think he mentions Southampton 

Edited by mozo

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

I thought it was a decent interview. He makes a point of trying to dispel the OTIB/social media myth that he's a robot and doesn't want emotion to be part of football. He denies that, and said they even covered it in training. He wants us to have fight, and to be on the fine line between emotion and control.

Good to see that he’s learning from OTIB. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Good to see that he’s learning from OTIB. 

In all seriousness, I'm interested to know how he knows that there's that preconception of him. Someone obviously told him. I'm sure Nige use to reference things that the fans thought too. How do they know?

Edited by mozo

1 minute ago, mozo said:

In all seriousness, I'm interested to know how he knows that there's that preconception of him. Someone obviously told him. I'm sure Nige use to reference things that the fans thought too. How do they know?

Ummm….its a public forum where you don’t need a membership to view? 

I know Liams denied being on social media before but I’ll be damned sure that the club (and we’ve seen posters here from the club) are tasked with trawling social media to gauge the fanbase - that’s not a bad thing, it’s sensible management. It follows that they’d then brief the manager/head coach.

This isn’t the masons.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Knight-Lebel comment - taken off after 60 minutes as back injury as opposed to plans for first team

I heard it as he picked up back “issue” at the weekend, and this was a “test” that he was ok???

46 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

People misread what I say and don’t listen properly at times. I want players to be emotional but recognise you need to be in control and not make rash actions” In training gave bad decisions in game to work on reactions (I do that with 12 year olds so wholeheartedly back it!)

Haha, must be aimed at the players and the press, because he doesn’t read social media. 🤣🤣🤣

+++++

2+2=4 we are gonna try everything to sign Twine!

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

They read OTIB, twitter, etc.

• Like 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

I heard it as he picked up back “issue” at the weekend, and this was a “test” that he was ok???

Haha, must be aimed at the players and the press, because he doesn’t read social media. 🤣🤣🤣

+++++

2+2=4 we are gonna try everything to sign Twine!

JKL - yeah it was. He was carrying a knock as opposed to got a knock.

Twine - yes we are, that’s my reading. I wouldn’t based on evidence to date and I’ve not seen great signs of a Palmer-Afobe type link between Twine and Conway (neither of whom may be here next season). I think he likes the player and he’s reading correlation and not causation.

As for the people not understanding - no comment!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Because he had at MK & Oxford too, so won’t just be from his time here so far. 

It’s pretty clear that a lot of people at the club read (and join!) here though, and however much they deny it, read twitter. 

45 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just to prove it doesn’t only happen when things are bad. I’ll take a wild guess as to which bullet will get the most attention…!

People misread what I say and don’t listen properly at times. I want players to be emotional but recognise you need to be in control and not make rash actions”

"We need to take the emotion out of it"

Now apparently we didn't listen. 

Same as the players don't listen when we have lost. 

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. 

I really want to have some belief in this guy, because I don't have any modicum of belief in anyone above him. 

But all I see and hear is a blagger. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I really want to have some belief in this guy, because I don't have any modicum of belief in anyone above him. 

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and let's be honest this forum would be dull if we didn't, but surely you must be seeing things differently now? 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, phantom said:

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and let's be honest this forum would be dull if we didn't, but surely you must be seeing things differently now? 

I’d hazard a guess it’s how it’s cached.

Take the sentence “I didn’t explain myself probably as well as I could, I want players to be emotional” and contrast it with what was said of “People don’t listen properly”

The fact is that he did say what @Superjacksays he did in the manner he did. The way he’s cached it - when he could have made the point so much better - is a bit “I was always right and you were wrong”. 

I thought it was a decent presser overall, and again, I’ve made the point before when he said emotion that he didn’t really mean that and had explained himself poorly. But a flag that remains is “are we changing to save his job and he’ll revert to type”. Comments of this nature add, understandably, to that concern.

Edited by Silvio Dante
Tagged wrong person!
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

- Vyner has a chance but very unlikely to be fit

- Doesn’t see it as a specific test of playing a lower team, more about how we play

- Unsure what expectations were post break. Definitely feels there is progress, more resilience and fight - really enjoyed a lot of us with the ball against Norwich and started post second half well, playing with purpose

- Noted matched points from last season so want to beat that with two to go. Referenced he thinks we’ve been good defensively consistently, pointing to QPR, Cardiff, Ipswich

- Looking forward to time on grass in pre season, heavy schedule post Christmas. Happy with where group are at and now about fine tuning

- Thinks Joe Williams has done well recently but been helped by those around him, credit to the staff and coaches as that’s what they do in improving players and most have

- Haydon Roberts not seen as backup. Had to be patient but has done well. Didn’t answer question as to what he’s seen as (fullback or centre half)

- Thinks Norwich goal offside, Cornick onside

- Watched 21s yesterday - were some decent bits, attitude good, Brian’s done a great job, behaviours were right. Didn’t name a specific player. Watching 18s later

- Knight-Lebel comment - taken off after 60 minutes as back injury as opposed to plans for first team

- Need more goals from across the team

- Psychology plays a big part in recruitment- need to understand the whole package, sometimes don’t understand that until they’re in the door. Look at recovery, positioning as these tend to be focus and desire behaviours - the team are very good at that

- Body alignment coach visiting the club. Wasn’t Liams decision. End of season need each department needs to review how they work.

- Every day of pre season is planned already in terms of session, running distance etc.

No mention of Southampton victory 🤔

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Nothing changes my mind on him I don't listen to his interviews the blokes a bore and full of brown stuff. Wait until the pressures on again then we will see,This club isn't no mk dons or Oxford.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 6
  • Facepalm 3

I particularly liked the bit where he said that we can talk about being ambitious (which is why he joined us) but we have to show that in terms of our actions re the squad in the summer. Over to you SL. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, eardun said:

I particularly liked the bit where he said that we can talk about being ambitious (which is why he joined us) but we have to show that in terms of our actions re the squad in the summer. Over to you SL. 

That made my notes!  Laying his cards on the table.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, eardun said:

Yup, very interesting. I said on another thread a few weeks back that i personally feel he will get backed heavily this summer. 

32 minutes ago, phantom said:

I think we are all mostly unsure about him but after watching full presser and fresh from watching game at Norwich I have to say  to me he comes across as someone who is a bit obsessed with the science of football and computer stats football  but has a strategy and a focus on a team identity that we probably haven't ever had, I think we have definitely seen some impressive performances on occasions also some tactics that clearly didn't work so for now I am feeling more positive in giving him a breather and seeing what pre season  shows us , coyr.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, eardun said:

And possibly also linked to Twine - he wants him. 

And tbh that kind of worries me. I’ve not seen enough in Twine over his games to date that he’s a worthwhile signing. I don’t concur that he’s “unlocked” Knight - his movement isn’t great, he’s not drifting into spaces, he’s just “there” - no more than any other AM (or even AM) would be. A presser like today was Liam giving “come here” vibes to Twine and Burnley will have picked up on that and negotiate accordingly - and I’m not sure Scott is worth what they will want.

And again, in terms of results, correlation doesn’t equal causation. Scott has shown a real lack of desire at times and has also tended to be - in short - a bit of a whiner. He gets fouls but it’s not a “Scott” in drawing fouls - it’s going to ground easy, getting some, and not getting others and being affronted by it.

I said when we signed Twine that the best case may have been an underwhelming loan spell which kept the price down. We’ve got that. But we’ve also got a head coach making “**** me” eyes at him which pushes the price back up. Worst of all worlds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Super said:

Great interview. Obviously the usual suspects won't agree.

I didn’t think it was great but it was different to the usual coaching soundbites that he’s been coming out with. He also looked and sounded much more relaxed that usual.

That might be because City are on a decent run and only two games away from the end of the season.

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And tbh that kind of worries me. I’ve not seen enough in Twine over his games to date that he’s a worthwhile signing. I don’t concur that he’s “unlocked” Knight - his movement isn’t great, he’s not drifting into spaces, he’s just “there” - no more than any other AM (or even AM) would be. A presser like today was Liam giving “come here” vibes to Twine and Burnley will have picked up on that and negotiate accordingly - and I’m not sure Scott is worth what they will want.

And again, in terms of results, correlation doesn’t equal causation. Scott has shown a real lack of desire at times and has also tended to be - in short - a bit of a whiner. He gets fouls but it’s not a “Scott” in drawing fouls - it’s going to ground easy, getting some, and not getting others and being affronted by it.

I said when we signed Twine that the best case may have been an underwhelming loan spell which kept the price down. We’ve got that. But we’ve also got a head coach making “**** me” eyes at him which pushes the price back up. Worst of all worlds.

Not sure that I agree that his movement isn’t great - I think that aspect has looked quite positive (although team mates don’t always seem to be able to pick the pass to him). I don’t think he lacks desire. And he’s unlocked Knight in the sense that Knight can play deeper (and better) with Twine in the team. But yes he’s not been world beating by any stretch and he lacks physicality. For me it should come down the price he will cost (if Burnley want to sell him), whether we are likely to get anyone better/similar for that price, and whether if we go for Twine we can still afford to get a number 9 who will bring the physicality that others in the squad, including Twine, lack. 

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’d hazard a guess it’s how it’s cached.

Take the sentence “I didn’t explain myself probably as well as I could, I want players to be emotional” and contrast it with what was said of “People don’t listen properly”

The fact is that he did say what @Superjacksays he did in the manner he did. The way he’s cached it - when he could have made the point so much better - is a bit “I was always right and you were wrong”. 

I thought it was a decent presser overall, and again, I’ve made the point before when he said emotion that he didn’t really mean that and had explained himself poorly. But a flag that remains is “are we changing to save his job and he’ll revert to type”. Comments of this nature add, understandably, to that concern.

I did cringe when Manning said the people not listening thing. Doesn't sound good at all.

The only thing I would say in his defense is that he has clarified his position on passion in previous interviews, but the reputation that developed from his not to high, not too low comments, and perceptions of his demeanour still continued.

Edited by mozo