IGNORED

Rotherham United at home match thread

50 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

We need to sign Twine. He makes all the difference IMO. Anyone who doesn’t rate him clearly doesn’t understand football. 

Twine had his best game in a City shirt today.  But let’s not kid ourselves that he’s been at that level prior to today.  Last week was better. But he’d been on periphery of stuff in prior games.

(and let’s not forget how dogshit Rotherham were, giving all our players all the time in the world)

• Like 6

Well at least it went out ok, as seasons go (accepting there’s one more game).

Im looking forward to seeing what the league looks like for next season. On paper, if Leeds manage to pip Ipswich and Saints win play offs, it doesn’t look an overly strong lead in comparison with previous years 🤞

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Twine had his best game in a City shirt today.  But let’s not kid ourselves that he’s been at that level prior to today.  Last week was better. But he’d been on periphery of stuff in prior games.

(and let’s not forget how dogshit Rotherham were, giving all our players all the time in the world)

And another 'lest we forget' 🙄

Good professional performance / stroll today.  Well done City.

Roberts excellent today.

Twine best performance for us.  First real signs of linkage with Conway.

Hope Pring was precautionary.

Congrats to Elijah Morrison on his debut.

(Bloody ell, Rotherham were terrible, not a Rotherham team I recognise)

3 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Not a fan of nuance? A really enjoyable win today but I doubt we’ll have an easier game next season. Still, 3 points is 3 points, especially as it takes us a place higher, leapfrogging Cardiff 😄

• Like 1

That has to be one of the strangest final games ever. 

Playing an already relegated side, who have gone a whole season without an away win, in weather conditions that made it feel like the first game of winter, playing in a home kit that we’ve been wearing for 15 months. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Are we reading too much into some of the players gestures? What is the difference between waving at the last home game of the season and waving because you might be leaving?

The wild imagination of this forum 

18 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Are we reading too much into some of the players gestures? What is the difference between waving at the last home game of the season and waving because you might be leaving?

Yes, seeing as he was waving to his family in the Lansdown stand. 

7 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Have we stolen eleventh at the death?

I'm looking at 9th :fear: tough games in hand for Preston & Coventry, Preston then play WBA and Coventry have QPR who've been in decent form with us against Stoke who may be on the beach a little after survival 

17 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Want a ******* poppy??? Rotherham were dogshite, but you’ve got to beat what was in front of you, and that was successful. Today was not a game where they’ll be a 25th anniversary celebration or a special shirt. Professional performance against a very poor team that was all.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2
14 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Not a fan of nuance? A really enjoyable win today but I doubt we’ll have an easier game next season. Still, 3 points is 3 points, especially as it takes us a place higher, leapfrogging Cardiff 😄

Indeed.

Quite funny in games where we’ve not performed, and you or I might credit the opposition, that doesn’t seem to have any relevance the other way around. Hmmmm! 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good professional performance / stroll today.  Well done City.

Roberts excellent today.

Twine best performance for us.  First real signs of linkage with Conway.

Hope Pring was precautionary.

Congrats to Elijah Morrison on his debut.

(Bloody ell, Rotherham were terrible, not a Rotherham team I recognise)

Roberts has been really impressive recently but had his first mistake in a long time when he misjudged the header in the first half which led to their only clear cut chance at goal which Max parried well.

It’s going to be interesting if we stick with a 3 at the back who gets the nod to start next year assuming Vyner and Dickie will be locked in- Robert’s holds the shirt currently but Atkinson will be like a new signing….lovely problem to have I guess

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

A good win today.  I just wish we had a bit more of a killer instinct in us as Rotherham were terrible and we could have buried them. 

Yeah thought that as well, I thought James should have gone for goal instead of playing the pass to Conway which was saved….would have been a beautiful goal if Tommy converted mind 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you have to look past some of the games he’s played here. Even when he’s not been at this best, he’s offered. 

A must sign for me. 

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just on this bit, in the first half, Rotherham did try different approaches. When we had the ball deep in our defensive half, they tried a few times to go man for man, but we were too cute for them in tight spaces. A couple of times they tried to press, but not in unison and we easily got around it. By the second half, it was like they had given up on winning the ball high and decided to sit deep. They had a good spell of possession near the end, but we were defending resolutely.

24 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Have we stolen eleventh at the death?

Could finish higher, and if we do we'll have reached the top end of my personal expectations for this season.

2 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I think you have to look past some of the games he’s played here. Even when he’s not been at this best, he’s offered. 

A must sign for me. 

No, I just have a different opinion on his performance to you.

I’m sure we will try and sign him.  Obvious from the way Manning mentions him.  But Burnley, assuming they want to sell, as they see him as part of next season’s squad, will drive a hard deal.  Just like they did in January.  Best hope is Burnley stay up.  Even then I don’t think the price changes.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Riffing on the Twine thing, I'm leaning towards signing him. I have this suspicion that we haven't seen him fully firing yet, and glimpses have led me to think I'd personally sanction it. I'm fully aware that I could be wrong there.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, I just have a different opinion on his performance to you.

I’m sure we will try and sign him.  Obvious from the way Manning mentions him.  But Burnley, assuming they want to sell, as they see him as part of next season’s squad, will drive a hard deal.  Just like they did in January.  Best hope is Burnley stay up.  Even then I don’t think the price changes.

Could be one of those where player wants to leave but Burnley under no obligation to sell and with parachute payments under no pressure financially. I suspect this one may go through towards the end of the window, leaving him a couple of months to get up to speed. Useful player but no Jacki Dziekanowski (age being firmly shown)

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Riffing on the Twine thing, I'm leaning towards signing him. I have this suspicion that we haven't seen him fully firing yet, and glimpses have led me to think I'd personally sanction it. I'm fully aware that I could be wrong there.

At £5m though ?  

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Just on this bit, in the first half, Rotherham did try different approaches. When we had the ball deep in our defensive half, they tried a few times to go man for man, but we were too cute for them in tight spaces. A couple of times they tried to press, but not in unison and we easily got around it. By the second half, it was like they had given up on winning the ball high and decided to sit deep. They had a good spell of possession near the end, but we were defending resolutely.

Yes, they did, but they weren’t good enough to carry it out.  Their pseudo-diamond on Rinomhota (base) Rathbone Appiah and Odoffin (tip) was like a colander.  I felt sorry for Eaves and Hugill trying to split our 3 CBs.

I was really surprised they didn’t play with 2 DMs to condense the space for TC, ST and AM….ST and AM especially.

Well done City for beating it though.  Some people can’t see that there is cause and effect out there on the pitch.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 15.15.37.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 15.18.17.jpeg

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

This might show ambition as I think this is what manning was on about but throwing are money into one basket is pretty risky he won't come cheap. And we've been here before. 

3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Could be one of those where player wants to leave but Burnley under no obligation to sell and with parachute payments under no pressure financially. I suspect this one may go through towards the end of the window, leaving him a couple of months to get up to speed. Useful player but no Jacki Dziekanowski (age being firmly shown)

I think this is now a case of over to Brian Tinnion (and GM / JL).

Manning wants him, and I have no issues with that.  Let’s just assume Burnley get relegated (sorry to the Burnley person on this forum!)

But I bet Manning wants him early, because pre-season will be key, especially integrating with no9.  This isn’t one you want dragging on into August.

So, imho, you try early, and you move on if it ain’t happening.  In fairness we did that in January.  We tried for Twine very early, wasn’t happening so pivoted to Azaz.  Unfortunately we missed out, so went back for Twine, and got him, albeit with no commitment re this summer.  I think the process worked fine.

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Think Conway is underrated by many on here.

Easy to forget he's only 21.

Yes he should remember he’s only 21 , why not sign a contract stay here and improve , personally can’t see him going any higher than us and getting as many minutes as he does here , 

I suppose he could possibly go to a prem club and get better coaching but won’t get as many minutes 

22 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

At £5m though ?  

I'd offer £2m plus a £4m PL promotion bonus. C'mon Burnley, you know you want to.

(I fully appreciate that Fevs and Silvio have mentioned better value options, but LM only has eyes for ST.)