IGNORED

should BBC 's "match of the day" be spliced?

Match of the day   

51 members have voted

1. 1. should it be spliced?

• spliced
    • two seperate games

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/20/24 at 22:00

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Personally I don't like that when important games are inter mingled as each match highlights unfold.

I would prefer if it was shown as two separate match's,most of us do know the outcome of the games

Only two prem games are important this Sunday afternoon.

So a poll is splice or shown as two separate  games

For the BBC time is the issue. Their programme schedules are very tight and why MotD is broadcast as it it. They also  have to show highlights from every game to keep all viewers happy. If they don’t then they receive criticism from fans.

I record it and then watch it in my in own time and any game that I’m not particularly interested in I just FF x 30.

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For the BBC time is the issue. Their programme schedules are very tight and why MotD is broadcast as it it. They also  have to show highlights from every game to keep all viewers happy. If they don’t then they receive criticism from fans.

I record it and then watch it in my in own time and any game that I’m not particularly interested in I just FF x 30.

How does that impact whether they splice the highlights or show the games separately? Still the same amount of time and footage

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

How does that impact whether they splice the highlights or show the games separately? Still the same amount of time and footage

By ‘splice’ it must mean splitting the screen.  At least that’s what I thought Jon meant……..:dunno:

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Depends if you know the scores before watching.

If you've avoided the scores, spliced has more of a dramatic effect.

The best example of that was the "Aguero" moment. It was the same day as an annual family picnic, and I somehow managed to avoid hearing anything at all. In fact I had forgotten all about it until I sat down to watch MotD that evening.

It was "spliced" and it was like watching a great thriller with a twist at the end. Unforgettable.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

By ‘splice’ it must mean splitting the screen.  At least that’s what I thought Jon meant……..:dunno:

It means showing a highlight from minute 11 in game A, then going to game B for a highlight in minute 24, then back to A for minute 31, if there's a third game then chucking their highlights too but you show the highlights from all relevant games in chronological order, its not a split screen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It means showing a highlight from minute 11 in game A, then going to game B for a highlight in minute 24, then back to A for minute 31, if there's a third game then chucking their highlights too but you show the highlights from all relevant games in chronological order, its not a split screen. 

Sounds complicated to me!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sounds complicated to me!

Its better viewing for me, you follow the natural timeline of the day rather than just watching the highlights of the first game and knowing how the day goes in a lot of cases.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sky sports will probably do something similar today.

On any highlights programme they probably will but with the two games being shown live I would think it`s pretty much impossible. They may show any incidents from one game in breaks in the other but to instantly switch would be a tech nightmare. What if whilst they`re showing, say, a red card in one game a goal is scored in the other?

Edit: the Arsenal game isn`t on Sky anyway!

Edited by Lanterne Rouge

Sorry folks, but I like looking back.In the 60's & early 70's MotD would show highlights of just two games, usually from the 1st Division. That wasn't exclusive though; remember Bristol C V Blackpool? If the two of the top teams in Div 4 were playing one another that would be shown due to the programme's title.

I think if I was that bothered over who wins I’d like separate games but as I never care about any Prem results the unfolding story of the spliced version is quite good.

I guess nowadays if your that bothered you’d have seen it unfold live anyway.

13 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Personally I don't like that when important games are inter mingled as each match highlights unfold.

I would prefer if it was shown as two separate match's,most of us do know the outcome of the games

Only two prem games are important this Sunday afternoon.

So a poll is splice or shown as two separate  games

Does anyone still watch it?

• Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

I absolutely love MOTD still. For those who don’t watch, how do you watch PL/FA Cup highlights out of interest?

I know it's not the question you ask but I don't watch any highlights. I often wonder if I would like football more if I didn't support city!