IGNORED

City Fan Injured By Ball Hit Towards Him

Never to the dark side

Guest ChrisSWFC
Well done some of you for bring what is a serious subject down to a childish level.

Things that need to be considered are

(i)Was it the players intent hit smash the ball into the crowd?

I believe it was and for that should at least be facing the F.A to explain his actions.Even a player in Division 4 of the downs league could have tapped to ball out or ballooned it into the upper part of the stand.

(ii)Was it the players intent to injure a spectator?

I would certainly hope not,although it has happened before.He may not have intended to injure a particular spectator,but to strike one with the ball seemed almost certain considering his reaction afterwards.Concern was a belated reaction.

(iii)Did the player take due care to ensure his actions did not cause harm to others?

Simple answer NO!Had this happened a little earlier then the ball may have struck a child as the ball was aimed at the family stand.The velocity with which the ball was struck,hitting a seated child(or even an adult)could have resulted in a broken neck.

There was intent to strike the ball,with as more force as the player could muster,into a group of spectators.I would consider this common assult.

This incident had no baring on the result,neither did the referee's descision to end the game early,although the best piece of refereeing today was to stop the game and call for a stretcher.

One more point.Should Brunt have been on the field at this point as,having been booked for a foul,then jumped into the crowd when he scored,this being a bookable offence in itself and therefore should have been sent off?

ok, to your first point (i).. how many times have players kicked the ball into the crowd? it happens at every game. The ball is cleared into the crowd with extra force to waste time.

(ii)he was not aiming at any fan, just simply clearing the ball. If that is an offence, I'm missing something.

(iii)Jesus Christ... do you think that runs through every players head when clearing the ball into the crowd? Brunt is just playing the game, doing his job.

and as to your common assault claims, to be honest thats a load of gargabe.

and brunt was not booked in the first place as far as I'm aware. Heckingbottom was

Guest swfc1867

Didn't lavin actually pick the ball up..and THEN launch it into the crowd..and if so is there not a difference when someone hits the ball into the crowd from open play?

This thread is rediculous. I await having to sign a disclaimer from possible injuries sustained from the friggin ball.

Get a grip people, you're at a game, at pitchside and you get hit by the ball, what a shocker.

We are dealing with 3rd Division footballers, most of which couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Quite how they could intentionally injure an individual is beyond me.

Has anyone bothered to question, was he/she sat in the family enclosure? or was he/she leaving early after their 4th goal?

Or shall we just have a moan because we got dicked at home?

Presume you had to be next to him to know that Kingswood in which case I apologise. However still not sure it justifies the action in question.

Sounds like you are too intelligent to 'presume' a fan would be nearest the pitch when trying to exit the ground without loitering for the last 5 - 10 mins.

And, if the case were that he SW player indeed did intend injuring the fan, then I totally agree with you that it most certainly does not justify that action.

Guest swfc1867
This thread is rediculous. I await having to sign a disclaimer from possible injuries sustained from the friggin ball.

Get a grip people, you're at a game, at pitchside and you get hit by the ball, what a shocker.

We are dealing with 3rd Division footballers, most of which couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Quite how they could intentionally injure an individual is beyond me.

Has anyone bothered to question, was he/she sat in the family enclosure? or was he/she leaving early after their 4th goal?

Or shall we just have a moan because we got dicked at home?

best post of the whole evenin'

Didn't lavin actually pick the ball up..and THEN launch it into the crowd..and if so is there not a difference when someone hits the ball into the crowd from open play?

Yes he did.

Like i said, if the player in question comes out and publicly says sorry then end of story.

I was at the Reading game when Lavin acted like a thug, today reminded me of that day with the crowd reaction. But as you said it was from open play so a simple sorry, a bunch of flowers for the injured party and everything will be ok.

This thread is getting stupid, i just hope the person involved has avoided serious injury.

chrisSWFC

The point you are missing is that the ball was not being put out of play.

It was not rolled out sidefooted(as he was only 4 feet from the touchline)

It was not lofted to the upper reaches of the stand(which would waste time)

He was not under any challenge from a City player(we didn't challange all game,so why start in the 83rd minute)

It was deliberately struck with as much force as he could muster at the spectators.Not high enough to waste time,not low enough to hit the advertising boards.

Brunt was booked on 58 minutes for a foul.Heckingbottom was booked on 10 mins again for a foul.

he did apoligise. Instantly after the game.

I have only just got back home and on the net after the game, so i had not heard that.

End of story.

Lets just hope the injured fan is ok and look forward to beating Sheffield Wednesday at Hillborough in May to pick up the League 1 Championship. :wacko:

Hope the fan is okay. Must have been an ordeal for his kid to see him in that state.

But let's get real here. A player smacks the ball as hard as he can into the crowd with a few minutes to go. Is he aiming at the fan? No. He's trying to get the ball as far away from the pitch as possible to waste a bit of time.

Anyone who suggests a player has a responsibility to gently tap the ball out of play is away with the fairies, I'm afraid! The defender isn't about to help the opposition when he can welt it further away and reduce the time City have to get a goal. It's his job to clear the ball.

What happened is a world of difference from that thug Lavin, who actually picked up the ball, went towards the fans and drop-kicked it with the express intention of hitting someone. I remember being disgusted that a player in a City shirt would do that and thinking the player deserved to be sacked by the club, an opinion I still hold today. It was intentional assault.

But all fans attend football games knowing that the ball is likely to be hit into the crowd. It's up to us to ensure we have our eyes on the ball whenever there's a risk of it coming our way, even if the City defence couldn't do that today. How often do we see pies or drinks go flying when a fan is walking back from the kiosk and gets hit by a ball? We all laugh then, but it's the same thing - an accident, pure and simple. Unfortunate, and bloody painful for the fan on this occasion, but that's all. Suggesting the player be fined sounds like sour grapes to me, and must have the Sheffield Wed fans p-ing their pants with laughter.

It's just another part of 48 hours that needs to be written off to experience.

This from Dave/Richard talking to Geoff Twentyman

at 510pm saying that wednesday player hit ball

into crowd and struck a city fan

Fan taken away on stretcher with oxygen masks in

operation

I stand by what i said on the radio Bristol fans panel. I don't think that the SWFC player did intentionally hit a fan with a football, but it was the incidents after the event that were a disgrace. The SWFC players showed little dignity and, to me, looked like they all thought it was a bit of a laugh....that is wrong, and i hope that i am proved wrong if i see it again, but if i am right, then i really feel sorry for SWFC that they have players that are that insensitive and a disgrace to football

Guest Bathred
I stand by what i said on the radio Bristol fans panel. I don't think that the SWFC player did intentionally hit a fan with a football, but it was the incidents after the event that were a disgrace. The SWFC players showed little dignity and, to me, looked like they all thought it was a bit of a laugh....that is wrong, and i hope that i am proved wrong if i see it again, but if i am right, then i really feel sorry for SWFC that they have players that are that insensitive and a disgrace to football

Have to agree.

Brunt, #11, belted the ball into the crowd, I do not believe he aimed it at the fan, however he did not have to lamp it into the fans which I would argue was his intent. With all those fans leaving when they did which he could clearly see he knew what he was doing and where the ball was going. You cant say, as some suggest, he just hit the ball without thinking cause he is not paid to do that. Just look at Tins first touch, and ignore his later mistake.

Sitting in the Atyeo I could see clearly that the guy was walking out not standing at the side like Kingswoodred suggests several time. The ball hit the guy on the side of the head not on his forehead or in his face which it would have if he were standing at the side watching!

And as T-I-G says the reaction of the players aftr the incident was a disgrace.

This from Dave/Richard talking to Geoff Twentyman

at 510pm saying that wednesday player hit ball

into crowd and struck a city fan

Fan taken away on stretcher with oxygen masks in

operation

I;m sorry to say this but this was a deliberate act by the player not to injure this particular fan but any fan were the ball was heading I was walking next to the injured fan at the time and he fired that ball has hard has he could at the fans. I was lucky, it is a sad reflection on football whrn your winning and you have to commit such a cowardly act!!! Yes no different to the Lavin incident a whike back, somebody should take some action and will definately be writing to complain. The police as usual didnt want know.

Obviously I'm sorry for the guy that got hit, but to suggest that the player did it on purpose is ridiculous. He was doing what every footballer in that situation would have done, making sure he cleared the ball as far as possible.

That is a ridiculous comment, they were 4-1 at the time with less than five minutes to play, just to tap the ball in to touch would have sufficed, there was no way that we were going to score three let alone four goals in five minutes.

butI CAN believe he deliberately thumped it into the crowd of people leaving the ground because he thought it would be 'funny'

That is possibly the most ludicrous statement I have ever read

unbelievable

By the way, cracking goal brunt (our second)

Only the player himself knows if he did it intentionally, and even if he did it intentionally i doubt that he will admit it, as i see it there was no need for it, when the ball was soo close from already being out, there was no need to hit it that hard, and to say a professional footballer could not have hit a supporter out of a large group of supporters, from about 3 yards is a rediculous comment to make.

Ill go back to a commment i made earlier If someone throws a brick (or other such heavy object) into the air, and it hits someone, should he be allowed to get away with it? Its not ment to hit anyone, so it was not intemtional, but he still injured someone.

And all the comments about, if we had been 4-1 up, it wouldnt have happened, correct, the wednesday player would not have put the ball out, he would have tried to play it upfeild

Guest Bigdan2003

Lets not make this a huge issue. At a football match people get hit by balls, It happens everywhere, on this occasion it was nasty because the ball was hit with some power. End of the day...the fans enter football grounds at his or her own risk.

Its unlucky this person got hit another day it may have just hit a seat or the steps but on this occasion its hit someone right on the head. I hope the person is ok.

To be calling for the FA to take action against Brunt is just silly. And to suggest Brunt did it on purpose is even worse, why would he want to, after all Wednesday were winning.

What shall we do? bring back big fences...i know lets put big glass shields between the pitch and the stands...bit like hockey stadiums.

Guest Bigdan2003

You all keep saying wednesday players are a disgrace to football....hang on, wasn't it your players that were the disgrace? seen as one got sent off for basically doing a WWF trick on Heckingbottom....

Guest ChrisSWFC
That is a ridiculous comment, they were 4-1 at the time with less than five minutes to play, just to tap the ball in to touch would have sufficed, there was no way that we were going to score three let alone four goals in five minutes.

as sheffield wednesday you can never be to sure about that.

Swindon. We were 2-0 up and crusing. Looking comfortable, but somehow we managed to concede 3 in 10 minutes so there was always a chance you could've done the same.

Guest bristolbred
Swindon. We were 2-0 up and crusing. Looking comfortable, but somehow we managed to concede 3 in 10 minutes so there was always a chance you could've done the same.

I like your confidence Chris, :dunno:

But on yesterday's and last Thursday's performances, we were on a hiding to nothing!!!, :wacko:

as sheffield wednesday you can never be to sure about that.

Few years ago against Mansfield, city were 4-2 down 87 mins gone..went on to win 5-4....who's to say we couldent have got a draw from the situation or even a better points difference...would be gutted to miss out on promotion this season by 1 goal!

Archived