IGNORED

1 In 6 People Have A Drink Problem

Barrs Court Red

Or so we are told today by the Departmeant of Health.

The figure, is of course nonsense. It includes men who drink more than 4 pints over 1 night in a week for example. Hardly a "problem".

This is an indication however, that the health fascists will be coming after alcohol next.

If thats the case i have a drink problem ?

I would expect most people on here drink too much. Just because you're not drinking spirits for breakfast (I worked with a woman who did, till she was sacked, it was sad not funny) doesn't mean you don't have a problem.

It's a difficult area. We all like booze but when do you like it too much? When do you have a problem? I'd like to see a bit more debate on it.

Having grown up with a parent with an increasing problem with alcohol I can tell you that sometimes its no fun. I don't drink much myself, I can go weeks without a drink, but its up to each individual what they choose to spend their money on I guess.

Really not trying to preach, but having seen it from the very bad side, which did include violence and countless spoilt family occasions, even to this day, I can tell you that its not much fun sometimes.

Having grown up with a parent with an increasing problem with alcohol I can tell you that sometimes its no fun. I don't drink much myself, I can go weeks without a drink, but its up to each individual what they choose to spend their money on I guess.

Really not trying to preach, but having seen it from the very bad side, which did include violence and countless spoilt family occasions, even to this day, I can tell you that its not much fun sometimes.

It's hard not to come over as a killjoy on this, but I do think you don't need to be an alcoholic to have a problem.

I don't think I have a problem now. But when I look back to what I drank ten years ago, when again I didn't think I had a problem, I think I did have a problem but didn't recognise it.

Difficult one but I don't look back on any year of my life and wish I'd drunk more.

I only really drink one night a week really as i work everyday and cannot go into work with a hangover, usually Friday or Saturday i will go into town with a few mates and have quite a bit to drink, i don't see myself as having a problem i just see it as a good entertaining way to celebrate the weekend.

when i was a student, i was out pretty much every night in different bars around town, drinking way more than 4 pints a night. People have said to me that they were worried about my drinking habbits, but i feel exactly the same as when i started uni.

I have taken steps to stop my drinking, because i aint a student no more, but it's my cash, and i aint hurting anyone else by doing it.

when i was a student, i was out pretty much every night in different bars around town, drinking way more than 4 pints a night. People have said to me that they were worried about my drinking habbits, but i feel exactly the same as when i started uni.

I have taken steps to stop my drinking, because i aint a student no more, but it's my cash, and i aint hurting anyone else by doing it.

So you're sure that you're acting in a totally rational manner when you're completely pissed, then?

I only really drink one night a week really as i work everyday and cannot go into work with a hangover, usually Friday or Saturday i will go into town with a few mates and have quite a bit to drink, i don't see myself as having a problem i just see it as a good entertaining way to celebrate the weekend.

This is the same for me. I'm normally out on Friday or Saturday, sometimes both, but hardly drink at all during the week. Being at work suffering a hangover is no fun, and even at the age of 23, I'm starting to find it's taking me longer to recover.

This is the same for me. I'm normally out on Friday or Saturday, sometimes both, but hardly drink at all during the week. Being at work suffering a hangover is no fun, and even at the age of 23, I'm starting to find it's taking me longer to recover.

That longer to recover will only get worse; wait for the two day hangover. It's the dislike of hangovers that lead to most people cutting down.

There is one surefire hangover cure, however it's a fast route to alcoholism:

Kepp a bottle of sherry (or other fortified wine) by your bed. When you wake up feeling hungover start swigging from the bottle and the hangover quickly goes away.

I have never done this for the very simple reason that I know it works; which makes some kind of sense. Frank Skinner used to do it before he packed in drinking altogether.

That longer to recover will only get worse; wait for the two day hangover. It's the dislike of hangovers that lead to most people cutting down.

There is one surefire hangover cure, however it's a fast route to alcoholism:

Kepp a bottle of sherry (or other fortified wine) by your bed. When you wake up feeling hungover start swigging from the bottle and the hangover quickly goes away.

I have never done this for the very simple reason that I know it works; which makes some kind of sense. Frank Skinner used to do it before he packed in drinking altogether.

To be honest i think i am immune from hangovers, i don't drink that often just one or two days a week, but i suffer from migraines and these usually come every other day which is very frustrating, but because of these i have no idea if i have a hangover or not, sometimes there bad others they are very bad.

To be honest i think i am immune from hangovers, i don't drink that often just one or two days a week, but i suffer from migraines and these usually come every other day which is very frustrating, but because of these i have no idea if i have a hangover or not, sometimes there bad others they are very bad.

Leave a plate of the previous nights kebab/curry/chinese, if you feel the urge to warm it up and finish it off then its a hangover. Scientifically proven at the US University of Pointless Expensive Projects that is.

Leave a plate of the previous nights kebab/curry/chinese, if you feel the urge to warm it up and finish it off then its a hangover. Scientifically proven at the US University of Pointless Expensive Projects that is.

Well i may just try that, because i know when i have a migraine i cant be damned to eat anything :blink:

Perhaps it is naive to feel that "Problem" refers only to the short term. Seeing as alcohol is linked to Mouth & Throat cancer, Mental Health Problems, Heart Disease, Strokes, Diabetes and Pancreatitis when drunk in excess, in the long term. This shows what I mean.

Yes Ron and you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so you might as well spend your days enjoying them and doing what you want to do, as long as you arent hurting anyone.

Lighten up Ron, sometimes you sound older than my Dad, you don't always have to look at the negative "oh if you have a drink, you're going to get this and blah blah blah" You'll end up in an early grave if you spend your days worrying about what MIGHT happen to you.

Enjoy being a kid and doing stupid things Ron, believe me, those times are far too short.

Yes Ron and you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so you might as well spend your days enjoying them and doing what you want to do, as long as you arent hurting anyone.

Lighten up Ron, sometimes you sound older than my Dad, you don't always have to look at the negative "oh if you have a drink, you're going to get this and blah blah blah" You'll end up in an early grave if you spend your days worrying about what MIGHT happen to you.

Enjoy being a kid and doing stupid things Ron, believe me, those times are far too short.

Don't underestimate what "might" happen. Just because there aren't too many people walking around with problems like this yet doesn't mean it's not going to be a big thing in the future.

Don't underestimate what "might" happen. Just because there aren't too many people walking around with problems like this yet doesn't mean it's not going to be a big thing in the future.

Jesus Ron, for someone who isn't even 20 yet you have a "different" outlook on life. A few years ago in Dublin I had the unpleasant experience of seeing someone commit suicide only 5 yards in front of me. Stuck his head under the wheels of a truck. Remember ringing 999 and the bird the other end saying "are you sure hes dead?". Answered "his brains are on my shoe, so pretty much yes!!" I have probably 10 mates who have died in car accidents in as many years. Buddy, its going to happen to us all one day so instead of worrying about dying why not worry about living cos its more fun!! Every day I live I am one day closer to my funeral and I intend to keep it that way.

Go and have a pint mate !!

Jesus Ron, for someone who isn't even 20 yet you have a "different" outlook on life. A few years ago in Dublin I had the unpleasant experience of seeing someone commit suicide only 5 yards in front of me. Stuck his head under the wheels of a truck. Remember ringing 999 and the bird the other end saying "are you sure hes dead?". Answered "his brains are on my shoe, so pretty much yes!!" I have probably 10 mates who have died in car accidents in as many years. Buddy, its going to happen to us all one day so instead of worrying about dying why not worry about living cos its more fun!! Every day I live I am one day closer to my funeral and I intend to keep it that way.

Go and have a pint mate !!

Exactly I nearly killed myself in a car crash and since that day I live life to the full. I'm not a heavy drinker but I will have a drink. Lifes far too short for being all prudish especially when your only 15!!

Exactly I nearly killed myself in a car crash and since that day I live life to the full. I'm not a heavy drinker but I will have a drink. Lifes far too short for being all prudish especially when your only 15!!

Your shout Robins pet !

Archived