IGNORED

David Noble - Why?

old_man_terry

What are others views on his performance tonight?

VERY surprised he started tonight, and it's a LONG time since he started a game and tonight was his chance that he's no doubt been waiting for?

Personally. I thought he was very poor, didn't look like a player will looking to fight for his place, some very sloppy passing, poor use of the ball and lost the ball on a number of occasions due to trying to overplay it and not playing the simple effective ball, plus never looked a threat at goal.

midway thought the 2nd half he did his standard disapeering act and was subbed not long afterwards?

To be honest, I'd be tempted to say he blew his chance of a cementing his place, that said if Johnson doesn't make a prompt return from injury, he could actually start on saturday?

just MY view.....but what do others think?

Quiet first 20 minutes with the ball mainly in the air. Very good for the remainder of the game and still chasing down balls when subbed on 80 minutes so clearly fitness is improved. Much more effective in the hole than Carle on what I've seen and when Carle moved to central midfield the interplay between the two was great.

I'd say just the opposite (to Old Man terry) he showed how much we missed him.

I also am a big Lee Johnson fan but his injury allowed Carle to play in his position and it showed just how good he is there. Ithought Noble and Carle played really well together. Bring Elliott and McIndoe into the mix and we played some excellent pass and move football through that midfield.

Just shows how much strengthen in depth we have in the squad, and why it's needed.We had a lot of players out there today who haven't played much football lately. All of them gave at least 100%. I was sorry to see Noble go off and though if anything our game went down after that. Adebola was tiring as was Vasko, I would have changed them before Noble personally.

VERY surprised he started tonight, and it's a LONG time since he started a game and tonight was his chance that he's no doubt been waiting for?

Personally. I thought he was very poor, didn't look like a player will looking to fight for his place, some very sloppy passing, poor use of the ball and lost the ball on a number of occasions due to trying to overplay it and not playing the simple effective ball, plus never looked a threat at goal.

midway thought the 2nd half he did his standard disapeering act and was subbed not long afterwards?

To be honest, I'd be tempted to say he blew his chance of a cementing his place, that said if Johnson doesn't make a prompt return from injury, he could actually start on saturday?

was driving me nuts with his flicks when he should be just going for the net. he lacks the pace to run on to Dele's flick ons and is too fancy when he needs to be direct.

get Byfield back.

Yes - i thought he had a decent game too. He just holds onto the ball so well and takes his time with his passing. I think we missed him when we went off because everything became more rushed. There were plenty of examples tonight of him taking the ball forward, checking and waiting for a runner and then calmly putting it into their path. He is still the best man to play in that link-man role.

Quiet first 20 minutes with the ball mainly in the air. Very good for the remainder of the game and still chasing down balls when subbed on 80 minutes so clearly fitness is improved. Much more effective in the hole than Carle on what I've seen and when Carle moved to central midfield the interplay between the two was great.

Totally agree, He seems to have alot more time on the ball than Carle does in the hole and is not afraid to try and make things happen. Carle appears more suited to the Central midfield role. Thought he looked quite good when he came on apart from being caught out a couple times. It looks like he may get a start there at the weekend.

Guest WellyCiderHead

Are you absolutely ###### mental?

I thought he was class until he got subbed off, he linked up well with mcindoe and adebola.

should play more often i reckon

I thought David Noble was our best player until replaced. We then lost our impetus a bit near the end without his ability to retain the ball and not give it away.

I agree. Noble was about the only City player who looked likely to create something and I was disapointed when he got subbed for the ineffective Trundle. I thought he was excellant especially as he hasn't started for so long.

Probably down to Nobles fitness again.

Looked class to me.

Think the wind and rain got in Terrys eyes a bit.

totally agree, Noble is the best link player at the club - holds the ball very well and creates time for players to get forward.Should always be in contention IMO

depending on how GJ wants to play it - in his judgment i trust!

Were you at the game?

That was one of Noble's better, if not best performance since Rotheram. The lad was absolutely everywhere first half, he was our creative genius and i think he deserves his palce next game

I actually think he had one of his better games for us, I just wish he'd try and shoot more often.

I wish anyone in the team would shoot more often. You don't score if you don't shoot and I fear for our promotion chances if we keep trying to be too fancy around the box. Watford (one of the worst teams I have seen down The Gate in a very long time) were there for the taking last night. I had a feeling the Atyeo got to their keeper last night and he didnt look very confident.

JUST SHOOT LADS!! You never know, the ball might go in that net thing a bit more often!

Thought Noble did ok tonite

Thought him Carle and McIndoe linked up well together

Definatly looked less effective when Trundle came on

I thought Noble was good today but I don't think it was a like for like replacement for Trundle so wouldn't blame the drop off in the performance on him. I can't remember him getting any help from the Adebola in the last 15 minutes up front.

I thought we had a good balance with Noble in the team of retaining the ball and releasing the wide men but a lack of pace and precision in the final third let us down a bit last night.

Another point gained.

Good to see a big crowd at the gate creating a hostile environment (well for at least ten minutes) or so. Never seen a penalty save celebrated so much!!!

Are you being serious? Noble was quality last night and I'm pleased that GJ brought him back in. I thought all the players that were brought back in yesterday (Vasko, Carey, Orr, Noble) were all great and I'm delighted they came back in.

Thought Noble had a good game last night. His ball retention was very good and his fitness levels clearly had come on. Agree with some of the posters on this thread that he looks much more effective in the hole than Carle but I thought Carle looked much more at home alongside Elliott!

The thing that riled me was recalling Orr, not Noble. Wilson had done nothing wrong at right-back and actually looked a better option there IMHO.

Mixed Bag. Didn't think he had a Great Game, but didn't think he had a terrible game.

Very Average. He keeps the ball well and helps us keep possesion very well, but some of his passing was poor, it's all very well having a player in that role, but it's no good if he's not being creative with it, and as an attacking player I see very little attack in Noble's play.

He supposed to be playing a link role, and he links up with midfield well, but he didn't seem to link with Dele at all, who ended up just being isoloted alone up front, he did play better in the 2nd half with Carle however by then he was already tiring.

With Johnson probably being out on Saturday going by GJ's comments, I think Carle will obviously start in the middle with Elliott, however who the front 2 are is still a case of Adebola + 1 for me, Noble didn't do anything to secure his place for Saturday and I wouldn't complain at all about seeing Brooker come back into the fold for the game.

also agree with previous poster, suprised and disapointed that Orr came back in, nothing against Bradley however, I feel Wilson has done VERY well recently and didn't have the best of games on Right Wing. he's definately more of a Right Back than anything else.

Although Noble was ok, my judgement would be to get Lee Trundle in that position ASAP he is a striker and I'm sure he will have a go for goal and not try the fancy flicks like Noble tried.

I wouldn't mind seeing Noble deputise for LJ and we may just see what LJ brings to our side without him in it and it was scandlous that Henderson was not sent off for that!!!!!!!

Thought Noble played ok, but when you don't start games regularly you're not going to have that match sharpness, are you? He impressed in places, but didn't show the kind of passing and linking ability he has shown in the past.

I think given the chance to start against Plymouth on Saturday would be a great opportunity for him. He needs regular games and the chance to build his confidence. He isn't one of these players you can drop and then bring back at any point.

Contrary to what a lot of people thought, I thought the midfield looked a good bit sharper at the start of the second half when Nick Carle came on. LJ wasn't playing badly, and it's a shame about his ankle, but Carle looked bustling and productive and got some good tackles in.

After about 15-20 minutes of the second half the game began to die, mainly because of the weather conditions, and the midfield had less and less control over the match. Balls were being played over the top - by both teams - and Noble, Carle and Elliott all had less chance to control the game.

I assume LJ will be out for Saturday, which will be a shame as he's not playing badly at the moment, but I would like to see the other three being given a chance together. Carle is more of a central midfielder, not a deep lying striker as he's been playing in recent weeks, so I'd like to see him play where LJ has played and see how he gets on from the start of the game.

I think most of us are agreed that Noble played well last night. Only five days ago you stated your view that Noble would never start another match for City - how wrong can you be! We have only lost once this season when Noble has started, and last night I thought he fully justified his inclusion.

My view is you're utterly wrong!

Noble was our main player with any creativity until Carle came on in the second half.

When you say "sloppy passing" I don't agree at all, he is just always looking for a positive ball forward, inevitably that will ocassionally result in us losing the ball, but I'd much rather that than a sideways or backwards ball for McCombe or whoever to woosh forwards.

Archived