IGNORED

Cotterell Sacked [confirmed]

Buckeyed

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Gary Monk would be excellent but unrealistic

Don't know why. Only managed Swansea. We are a similar size club and long term easier to keep us competitive in the championship than keep Swansea in the premier. 

Always sad, but the buck stops at the manager and, as always, they pay the price. The board had to do something, is it they they are too tight, or is it that players just don't want to play for Cotts ? Pearson for me if you want to get out of this mess as Sam's taken!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Gary Monk would be excellent but unrealistic

Why would Gary Monk be excellent, he has proved zilch,he took on a fairly good  Swansea team, got a good finish, put his own stamp on the team and his own signings and watched them tumble and got sacked.  He has nothing on his CV that says good manager. Not to say he couldn't be, but maanging in the pem does not automatically mean good manager

10 minutes ago, Super said:

So we should of sacked him in May? Are you completely stupid?

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

No need for that.

The time to open your eyes is when we see who the next failed manager who is brought into replace him, because that's pretty much what will be available to us.

I really don't give a toss at the moment.

Lansdown and cotterill have both been acting like stubborn kids with each other and we are the ones that have been stuck in the middle and had to suffer  all the shite that's been coming out from all sides of this club for the last six months !! 

Note for the board.... If you were going to do this, then why wait till half way through the window giving a new manager no chance of assessing the squad and then backing him fully in the window at all costs ... I was all for keeping Cotts but business sense would tell me to get a new manager in ready a few weeks before the window opened .... I just don't get the way you run things ... Why were the official channels the last to inform the fans of what is going on ? Total farce 

37 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Don't believe it for a second.... I do note that the boo boys are now turning on the board and SL ......Boo boys be very carefull and gratefull for what we have

A ****ing pointless stadium that comfortably reflects the owner. 

11 minutes ago, Jesus said:

With the fact that a lot of the fanbase was still supporting Cotts and the fact that we're halfway through the transfer window, I would be utterly amazing if we haven't got someone lined up. 

I honest think we've got a fairly big name coming in. 

I fear you're crediting our board with more nous and planning than they merit.

Unfortunately this has been on the cards since the summer transfer window closed and was more or less inevitable at the end of October. We all knew which areas of the squad needed strengthening before the season started and although Kodjia will turn out to be a bargain (does anyone know if he has a relegation release clause?), Wade Elliott wasn't replaced, Ryan Fredericks jumped ship and the less said about the loans the better, with the exception of Elliott Bennett and Nathan Baker.

Attempting to play a 3-5-2 with a small squad was never going to work, despite that formation being one of the more flexible ones. If you don't have the players to change it as circumstances dictate (defending a lead for example), you won't do well in the Championship.

I overheard a conversation on Tuesday night which might also provide some insight. One of our supporters was on the phone to a friend of his and the conversation went along the lines of 'there are three managers players really don't want to play for - Warnock, Billy Davies and Cotterill.' Perhaps that was Zac Clough's opinion too.te

Overall Cotterill had run out of ideas and luck at exactly the time the board and ourselves had run out of patience. However, we are not out of the woods by any chance. I'd expect better performances against Boro and the Baggies, but seven of our next ten home games are against sides currently in the top ten and that's a hell of a task for the new boss to take on.

16 minutes ago, GILLI said:

Aspirations of being a premiership club ? 

When will they realise saying shit like this is what winds people up ... Don't say this shit and then refuse to pay going rates in the championship ... 

To get to the prem, you gotta get promoted from the championship, to do this you need good solid championship players who require championship salaries ... 

Deluded doesn't come close 

Seriously we are brining up this old arguement? How many times have we been told that wages were never the problem, players like Gray & Gayle never wanted to come here! 

There was only one way that this was going to end, with the owner saying that wages/fees were never a problem and SC saying we could not compete financially! There are plenty more managers out there, but not so many wealthy people out there willing to push a club forward out of his own pocket, just ask the other side of Bristol, how they would kill for a wealthy backer!!! Maybe we should have been targeting more realistic targets in the summer, or not just targeting players that can play in one formation!!!!

Managers live and die by what happens on the pitch, last season it worked well, albeit against more inferior players/managers!

Opposition managers have been saying all season they know how we will set up, how we will play, and knew our weaknesses!

You cannot continue to manage a team based on past glories! 

Maybe SL and the board heard what he said on Tuesday after the game, that we will continue to play the same way, same formation, as that is the way they know how to play, well that has worked well all season!! I don't know what SC thought he would achieve, by playing the same players, same formation, same system week in week out, guess what you get the same results!!!

My only criticism of the board is that this should of happened straight after the Charlton game!!!

Thanks for last year Steve, but the club will move on, we always do!

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

352 is the main reason we're in the shit we are now, If he'd tried being more compact and kept a few clean sheets he'd still have a job.

Thats why I said "for all its troubles". A bit like saying goodbye to that girlfriend that, despite some good times, it just isn't working out with.

49 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Don't believe it for a second.... I do note that the boo boys are now turning on the board and SL ......Boo boys be very carefull and gratefull for what we have

I'm not a boo boy but the Investor is taking the biggest gamble since taking over this football club and spunking £60m up the wall to get us back where we were when he took over in all likelihood. He may be great at investing but he is simply clueless when it comes to bankrolling a football club.

If we get relegated after this shambles I reckon the club is going to get the biggest arse kicking in terms of lost season ticket holders that it has ever had and ther will only be one person to blame.

25 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

What a pathetic board we have at helm. They say **** all and do the dirty on the manager!?

******* cowards.

I agree but don't blame them , they're puppets. It's the owner. Luckily he's never got it wrong before so everything will work out fine. 

I think the board must have looked at that defeat Tuesday to a poor Preston side and realised that they have overtaken us because we have gone backwards rather than them going forwards. To see the winner scored by a player deemed surplus to our squad was the icing on the cake.

Very very harsh decision. One I do not predict will augur well...I am stunned tbh. The shame is that we have not been playing badly this season...WBA impressive display with a thin squad, Preston we should have drawn at least...last minute goals achilles heel bad sign with us but again generally been playing good football, our performances have definitely outmatched our results.

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

Those questioning the timing, McInnes was sacked only a day earlier. And we had plenty of time to stay up that season, but sadly didn't. 

In my view, this is 8 months too late. Cotterill was never the man to lead us in the championship. Thanks for getting us here, but he's not cut out for this level. 

You've highlighted a previous failing yourself - the timing of the McInness sacking was ridiculous and we went down. The timing of this sacking is ridiculous as well. 

Should have happened earlier or not at all in my opinion. Anybody coming in now has little or no time to assess and do something in the transfer window.

51 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Based on that closing line, I remain optimistic about plans to take the club forward.

Cotts had run out of ideas, and may have been a problem signing some players, but will be remembered well for what he achieved for us last season.  Now this has happened, we need to put it behind us quickly, and move forwards with a new sense of purpose.

Although I don't like how high up the list Cooper and Hollowhead are:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/bristol-city/next-permanent-manager

I have just seen that Stuart Pearce is 25/1 and Mourinho is 100/1.

Do people actually place bets and spend money on such nonsense?

I genuinely feel completely gutted for Cotts tonight. I'm not sure I would have sacked him but I can understand the decision and Cotts certainly hasn't helped himself with some bizarre decisions lately. What I feel gutted about is the way small sections of so called City fans treated him towards the end. Criticism is fine but the nasty, vicious, personal abuse that some numbskulls gave him is just bewildering. These ********* try to pass it off as "passion", what a load of utter crap. It's nothing but a complete lack of self control by brain dead Neanderthals. 

This guy gave most City fans the best season of their lives last season. He might not have deserved to keep his job but he definitely deserved to be treated with respect by every single City fans.

Thanks for the memories Steve #CTID

Archived