IGNORED

All things Bristol Bears

Barrs Court Red

31 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Another game where we play poorly and win! Set pieces were terrible yesterday, ealing were all over us but with the ball in hand we are outstanding at time, Jordan Williams was superb as we're many others. 

Hopefully that will mean some new signings in the next couple of weeks 

One seriously does wonder what they actually do in training. Lots of indiscipline and conceding of penalties too. Seems to have been an issue for a number of years and here's hoping Lam can arrest the problem.

Looking at Bristol's remaining 7 fixtures they should win the lot with 3 of the better sides in the division visiting AG and us travelling to 4 of the current 5 bottom teams. 

Despite the indifferent performances credit to the players and staff for winning 15/15, no mean feat at any level. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Wow that was a tough old game and Bristol got the rub of the green with 3 very poor refereeing decisions but fair play Bristol played to their strengths and had a kicker on form and Ealing kept straying from their script.

Well done Bristol.

In nearly all the televised games a lot of poor refereeing decisions and missed incidents have gone their way. I can remember three clear forward passes in one game being missed that all led to tries....and we moan about the top premier football teams getting the breaks against the lesser teams.

1 hour ago, bemmyredjeff said:

In nearly all the televised games a lot of poor refereeing decisions and missed incidents have gone their way. I can remember three clear forward passes in one game being missed that all led to tries....and we moan about the top premier football teams getting the breaks against the lesser teams.

At the same time a lot of decisions go against us, no arms charge into the ruck yesterday that could very easily have been a red, Jordan Williams was tackled in the air but nothing was given, a Hugh tackle on leiua was missed, swings and roundabouts as they say

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

One seriously does wonder what they actually do in training. Lots of indiscipline and conceding of penalties too. Seems to have been an issue for a number of years and here's hoping Lam can arrest the problem.

Looking at Bristol's remaining 7 fixtures they should win the lot with 3 of the better sides in the division visiting AG and us travelling to 4 of the current 5 bottom teams. 

Despite the indifferent performances credit to the players and staff for winning 15/15, no mean feat at any level. 

I think the disciple is improving massively, at scrum time it is still poor but in other areas its much better, I remember the Worcester play off final a few years ago where we had 4 yellows in two games and it cost us promotion. 

Our run in is favourable whereas Ealing still have to go to Leeds, Doncaster, the pirates and Jersey which are all tough games. 

Complete credit to everyone involved I agree, if we win our remaining 7 we'll be the first team ever to do so, some achievement that

Edited by JBFC II

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Fair play to Ealing again. Another BP win away at Jersey which was a potential banana skin!

Looks like Bristol may well be pushed all the way in not being able to secure promotion until the 19th round of fixtures!

It's going to (not quite) go to the wire. We were at Ealing last week and a bloke we were talking to said (pretty much) that they were a Sunday club that had become too good. Their ground is great, and I think they'd have to move ,  but culturally they dont want Prem rugby. 

Chasing shadows, making the same errors over and over and coming up against a solid brick wall like defence. I was surprised we pulled the game back to as close as it was.

That said our player was sin binned for an accidental clumsy collision when he was blinded by the sun at one point, at least that’s what it looked like from where I was sat. But to be fair it was as far away as it could be so I apologise if I saw it wrong.

Not surprised we lost a game.

This Bristol side...very open. While it is certainly the best side at this level, by a long way- it's not hard for even a reasonable opposition to score tries against.

Moreover...thinking back to the Hartpury game all the way back in September, Ealing game in October and most recently Bedford Blues- the latter stands out as very lucky to win, the first there was less in the way of outright luck but marginal little things (like them narrowly being penalised for a knock-on, and the win over Ealing in October was relatively narrow...this loss, this kind of result was coming. Was a matter of when, not if IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not surprised we lost a game.

This Bristol side...very open. While it is certainly the best side at this level, by a long way- it's not hard for even a reasonable opposition to score tries against.

Moreover...thinking back to the Hartpury game all the way back in September, Ealing game in October and most recently Bedford Blues- the latter stands out as very lucky to win, the first there was less in the way of outright luck but marginal little things (like them narrowly being penalised for a knock-on, and the win over Ealing in October was relatively narrow...this loss, this kind of result was coming. Was a matter of when, not if IMO.

Correct, it seems to me unless there is a lot of investment, Bristol will be promoted with exactly the same age old problems of last time, piss poor defence, weak scrum and cavalier attacking attitude.

15 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Correct, it seems to me unless there is a lot of investment, Bristol will be promoted with exactly the same age old problems of last time, piss poor defence, weak scrum and cavalier attacking attitude.

Haven't we already announced 15 (or close) new signings for the 2018/19 campaign? 

17 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I'm a bit more optimistic than 2 years ago, but yes- hopefully the 15 new signings as mentioned by @CyderInACan will gel with the good points we have and improve our weak points.

I don't think we'll do anything spectacular, but we seem in a better place- on and off the pitch- than last time.

• Like 1

• Admin

The end of promotion / relegation?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/02/28/talk-rugbyrfu-nominate-first-female-wrc-representative/

Championship to be reviewed

A consultancy firm has been brought in by the Rugby Football Union to conduct a wide-ranging review of the Championship – including examining the merits of promotion and relegation.

The review by EY, formerly Ernst & Young, will come under consideration by English authorities in the negotiations over the structure of the top of the domestic game for the new global season from 2019.

RFU council members have been told that EY will make recommendations after covering subjects “including wage; income ratios; the effectiveness of the Championship as a development tool; the increasing gap between the Premiership and Championship; ring fencing and promotion/relegation”.

• Like 1

Some of the signings for next season should turn around Bristol's fortunes in the scrum, notably John Afoa. I saw plenty of him before and during his time at Ulster but @Woodsy will have seen him play considerably more than me for the last few years. You don't get 101 Super Rugby caps and 36 New Zealand caps for being shite though! Lam is also bringing in a few guys up front that he he had at Connacht and obviously trusts like Muldowney and Heenan so that shouldn't hurt either.

Not that surprised to see Scarlets wanting a bit of back three cover with players on international duty and injuries mounting up. They're a seriously good side now so I'd be surprised to see Varndell there beyond the end of the season. Probably one of the best English finishers in the last while, but serious question marks over the defensive side of his game for me.

I haven't heard anything about the Premiership being ring fenced for a few years, so it will obviously happen when I didn't expect it to after it didn't materialise in the years I believed it was inevitable!

How I view next season:

Attack: Our strongest area but still needs improving. With the ball in hand at times we can be electric, but we won't be given the space if we go up next year. Sunday showed that against a well organised defence without the space to run in we make mistakes and allow for the opposition to turn the ball over way too easily. Pat Lam needs to go back to the basics here in many ways, we were being too fancy on Sunday (trying too many inside channel passes) whilst also, when the ball came to our forwards they acted as a pivot, not running into contact and giving too slow ball for our backs. Lots of improvement needed.

Defence: Much improved since the Robinson days, our scramble defence on our try line is exceptional at times and has won us a couple of games. Despite that, our line speed is way too slow. Jersey were up in our players faces as soon as they got the ball and we gave them time to get the ball and make a decision, a luxury which we weren't afforded. Some of the tackling on Saturday (especially Madigans shocking attempt to tackle their scrum half) was very poor for 'international' standard players. We conceded 3 tries on Saturday due to mistakes, these need to be cut out sharpish because no premiership side will do the same.

Scrum/pack: Dominated again. Jersey got into our faces and pushed us back on nearly every scrum. this needs to be looked at for next season and although we are strengthening these are still international players who surely must be able to be competitive against the likes of Jersey. I'd imagine a forwards coach will be brought in who will hopefully be able to improve the pack and make it competitive next season. We can have the best backs in the world next year but if we can't be competitive in the forwards they'll get limited service and so they'll be rendered useless.

Overall, I'd say we are in a better position than we were 2 years ago, we have already been able to bring players in for next year who will all strengthen the squad and at times we've looked superb this year. The style of rugby is much better than under Robinson but we don't have the scrum superiority that we had last time round, despite apparently having a higher quality pack. With work on this though I can see us scraping survival, although it will be a massive ask at this rate.

21 hours ago, phantom said:

Surprised to see Tom Varndell has left to join Scarlets, shame he didn't see the season through

I'm not. Not part of the future and looking for a new club.  I suspect Bristol offered a contract but it was a lot less than he thinks he is worth

20 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Some of the signings for next season should turn around Bristol's fortunes in the scrum, notably John Afoa. I saw plenty of him before and during his time at Ulster but @Woodsy will have seen him play considerably more than me for the last few years. You don't get 101 Super Rugby caps and 36 New Zealand caps for being shite though! Lam is also bringing in a few guys up front that he he had at Connacht and obviously trusts like Muldowney and Heenan so that shouldn't hurt either.

Not that surprised to see Scarlets wanting a bit of back three cover with players on international duty and injuries mounting up. They're a seriously good side now so I'd be surprised to see Varndell there beyond the end of the season. Probably one of the best English finishers in the last while, but serious question marks over the defensive side of his game for me.

I haven't heard anything about the Premiership being ring fenced for a few years, so it will obviously happen when I didn't expect it to after it didn't materialise in the years I believed it was inevitable!

Wonderful player, MR. Been fantastic for Gloucester. As you say, you don't tot up that tally without being a little special

He also bought my in-laws house, so if any of you want an autograph I can point you in the right direction! Often see him in the local Tesco, he doesn't smile much - not much of a people person, I suspect! Biggest calf muscles I've seen in my life!!

Enjoy him

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Wonderful player, MR. Been fantastic for Gloucester. As you say, you don't tot up that tally without being a little special

He also bought my in-laws house, so if any of you want an autograph I can point you in the right direction! Often see him in the local Tesco, he doesn't smile much - not much of a people person, I suspect! Biggest calf muscles I've seen in my life!!

Enjoy him

Standard Woodsy derailing another thread! Think Hampshire Red was right all along! :laughcont:

• Haha 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I'm not. Not part of the future and looking for a new club.  I suspect Bristol offered a contract but it was a lot less than he thinks he is worth

In the sense of the timing I meant, but agree he would have been surplus come next season with the new signings