IGNORED

Chris Wilder Offered City Job

Coppello

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ooh interesting one. 

I think I would! What I like about Neville is that he is quite comfortable with the fact that he was one of the least talented of that Class of 92' but maximised his ability through sheer hard work and grit. He's book is a great read, I have a lot of time for him after reading it.

He's won pretty much everything and played with some of the best players in the world.

Clearly a clever guy, but definitely took the Valencia job far too early. Perhaps there are some parallels there between him and Lee at this job. He'll have no doubt learned lots from his time in Spain and I'm sure he'll be a successful manager one day. I think he'd be humble enough to take a job at a lower level now to prove himself.

If a managers position became available, and he was happy to slot into the head coach role rather than manager, I think he'd be a very interesting suggestion to consider. 

Was crazy to take the Valencia job as his first gig. He would command immense respect, especially from English players in the English leagues IMO. 

No way would I consider Neville. Failed at Valencia and has not proved himself or achieved anything as a manager. If he didn't play for England and Man Utd would anyone really be wanting him? Arguably could be worse and has less experience than LJ.

Believe next appointment should have proven experience in Championship or higher if we can get them or at least proof of some success. Otherwise we've learned nothing and risk repeating past mistakes. 

The Neville scenario at Valencia was definitely an odd one.

He felt after years of learning the trade, and working with England, having turned lots of job offers down, that if he didn't take the Valencia job, he would lose credibility in the game.

Again though...it was a 'job for the boys'.

One of his closest mates and business partners is the owner of Valencia. It was him that offered him the job. Maybe a bit like SL and LJ...who have built up a friendship and respect for one another over the years. Which brings up a whole new question...do you as an owner, build up a relationship with a perspective manager over a few years before you employ them...it makes sense too imo.

However...bad move on Valencia's part imo. What does Neville know about Spanish football? Plus he can't speak Spanish...and it was reported that his team talks were often mis translated for him. It happened very often and was reported so.

Because of this, there became tactical uncertainty on the pitch.

Neville was probably wrong to except the job.

For a novice coach, taking over a struggling team in a league he had never experienced, and in a country where he didn't speak the language was always a big gamble.

It was too demanding and too soon.

The accusation regularly thrown out by Valencia fans, was that the owner showed a 'lack of respect' to the club and their fans, by making such an experimental and nepotistic appointment.

Perhaps their are parallels with what is happening with us here.

Many fans have said the appointment of LJ is too soon. Even though LJ thinks it was the right time.

Time will tell...and I really do hope it works out for LJ, the Club and the fans.

However...if it does fail, I can see the excuse being...'Too soon'.

What has been excepted by the board and owner, is that LJ is still inexperienced in this division, and he will make mistakes...as he is still learning on the job.

The board and owner have made this decision...not LJ's fault.

Any venom imo, should be aimed at them, if you are not satisfied...not LJ, as he is doing his best. Whether his best is good enough, remains to be seen.

On 05/02/2017 at 00:57, Dr Balls said:

The tipping point for SC being replaced was him having a go at a spectator who was abusing him. Was LJ any different today in his response to those behind him? It might not be football matters that see him pushed out. And can I see SL going for a League 1 manager again to replace LJ? Unfortunately absolutely I can. On which basis even DC is a good betting option...That would really see a few people around Horfield exploding with rage, should it ever come to pass, and be almost as divisive with us as the appointment of LJ! 

I'd bet my left bollock that DC would never join you, given his comments etc over the Taylor saga.

3 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

I'd bet my left bollock that DC would never join you, given his comments etc over the Taylor saga.

Lots of you said MT would never join us. No loyalty in football Dopey owes you lot nothing.

11 hours ago, spudski said:

Perhaps it's not just the manager that's the problem?

We've been a yo yo team for years...no manager achieves anything here long term...Fans keep shouting for a new manager every season. When has any new manager given us any period of success? You'd think we'd learnt by now...but same old thing...'Sack the manager'.

Different managers, different players, different backroom staff, money thrown at it, new stadium...blah blah blah...but always...'sack the manager'.

Worth thinking about eh? ;)

I agree. SL stop cutting corners with a manager and we won't say it anymore.

8 minutes ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

SL stop cutting corners

Hmmm. I don't think it's fair to accuse our generous benefactor of cutting corners in any department. You may not like some of his decisions, but they are not made because they are the cheap option.

If you believe this to be true, I think your interpretation of the situation and subsequent comments should be viewed as 'alternative facts'.

Are you this forums version of POTUS? 

If so, how about the next time you change your name Griff you consider Donald Scrump? 

3 minutes ago, zombie said:

Hmmm. I don't think it's fair to accuse our generous benefactor of cutting corners in any department. You may not like some of his decisions, but they are not made because they are the cheap option.

If you believe this to be true, I think your interpretation of the situation and subsequent comments should be viewed as 'alternative facts'.

Are you this forums version of POTUS? 

If so, how about the next time you change your name Griff you consider Donald Scrump? 

SL goes for a yes man (which is also a cheaper man).

When we don't get one they either leave (i.e Coppell), or our team do well (i.e Cotterill).

21 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

or Bristol City ( So'd/Benny)

We got a bit of an initial upturn under So'd (at home anyway) before things went (returned?) to shit. Seem to recall we won a number of home games and got back in touch for a while. Benny we seemed to improve at the back, albeit when it was too late! His first 5 games were truly disastrous though.

Mixed bag basically, the new manager effect- took a while for Millen to turn us round after Coppell copped out.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

We've been a yo yo team for years...no manager achieves anything here long term...Fans keep shouting for a new manager every season. When has any new manager given us any period of success? You'd think we'd learnt by now...but same old thing...'Sack the manager'.

Different managers, different players, different backroom staff, money thrown at it, new stadium...blah blah blah...but always...'sack the manager'.

Sack Spudski 

:protest:

12 hours ago, spudski said:

Perhaps we dont know how to develop managers. After all, admittedly many years ago we have had Hodgson and Pulis who we still don't rank go on to Premier management posts and have been in Prem posts for many years. 

2 hours ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

DC told you all to your faces in his interview - "there is no loyalty in football" you think he just meant MC ? Really.... ok.. interesting..

54 minutes ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

SL goes for a yes man (which is also a cheaper man).

When we don't get one they either leave (i.e Coppell), or our team do well (i.e Cotterill).

Let's not pretend that Coppell's departure was anyone's fault but his own.

He didn't bother turning up for work for the first couple of months, made a half-hearted attempt at a pre-season, signed a couple of players he'd already heard of, realised the job was tougher than he thought and then flounced off.

If he didn't like working for SL he could have figured that out before the previous season had even finished, had he actually bothered to turn up and do his job.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Oh I agree but he's already turned down Leeds and would not be short of suitors

2 hours ago, Super said:

Lots of you said MT would never join us. No loyalty in football Dopey owes you lot nothing.

Agreed again, but not me...

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think we'd want your left bollock about as much as we'd want DC. Both would have too much baggage. ;)

::laugh::

1 hour ago, reddoh said:

braver man than me.

The right one is much nicer; I'm not a TOTAL fool.

57 minutes ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

Rewind 2 weeks 

"I'd bet my left bollock that MT would never join you"

Again, not me.

10 minutes ago, Fiale said:

DC told you all to your faces in his interview - "there is no loyalty in football" you think he just meant MC ? Really.... ok.. interesting..

Yeah I could be totally wrong, I just sense more of a connection to the club from DC given we stood by him and gave him a chance after relegation.

Mind you, my opinion is worth as much as anyone else's - sod all! ;)

9 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Let's not pretend that Coppell's departure was anyone's fault but his own.

He didn't bother turning up for work for the first couple of months, made a half-hearted attempt at a pre-season, signed a couple of players he'd already heard of, realised the job was tougher than he thought and then flounced off.

If he didn't like working for SL he could have figured that out before the previous season had even finished, had he actually bothered to turn up and do his job.

He saw how badly the club was run top to bottom, forced to sign David James then walked didn't he?

1 minute ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

He saw how badly the club was run top to bottom, forced to sign David James then walked didn't he?

As far as I know the David James thing was a rumour. I don't know the truth.

Nevertheless, he was announced before the end of the previous season but didn't take up the role for a couple of months. Had he been more diligent he could have spent that time assessing the squad and the club then walked out at a much earlier opportunity if he felt things weren't right. Or perhaps he could even have lent his experience to help the club improve. But he didn't. He did the square root of bugger all for 4 months and then flounced off leaving others to pick up the mess. He didn't even leave when the James transfer was announced, as a man of principle would have been done if it was against his wishes, he just accepted it then left when he was struggling.

I don't dispute that the club was run poorly, but Coppell could and should have handled it much better. A "yes man" who didn't challenge things would not have helped improve the club off the pitch but at least he'd have done his job.

27 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Oh I agree but he's already turned down Leeds and would not be short of suitors

Agreed again, but not me...

::laugh::

The right one is much nicer; I'm not a TOTAL fool.

Again, not me.

Yeah I could be totally wrong, I just sense more of a connection to the club from DC given we stood by him and gave him a chance after relegation.

Mind you, my opinion is worth as much as anyone else's - sod all! ;)

I'll take your word for it proof is definitely not required :-)

55 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@BobBobSuperBob Neville is on record as saying he won't go back into football management in the next 5 years and indeed may never return to coaching so I think we can cross him off any prospective list for the time being.

That fit's in perfectly for when LJ gets nabbed by Arsenal once Wenger finally retires.

57 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@BobBobSuperBob Neville is on record as saying he won't go back into football management in the next 5 years and indeed may never return to coaching so I think we can cross him off any prospective list for the time being.

Regardless @Kid in the Riot I think Gary Neville is a very bad shout. 

Yes he may have extensive experience as a player, but his managerial experience was at international level (let's put aside the fact that he resided over the worse England performance at a tournament in my lifetime) what real experience does he have at day to day club level?

You could say MA does that side of the job and he just needs to coach, well what evidence do we have of his record of coaching?

His one club job, as debated above, was a job for a mate, too much too soon and a total disaster.

People have called for our next manager to have relevant experience, a proven track record and to have worked their way through the ranks showing they can create success. For me Gary Neville has neither the experience nor the success. 

People have discussed Lee Johnson's managerial experience, but you could argue he has more 'relevant' club level experience than GN. The fact that so many have attributed the 'failure' of LJ to his lack of managerial experience or proven success, to now suggest someone with as little of those attributes as GN, somewhat beggars belief, IMO.

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ooh interesting one. 

I think I would! What I like about Neville is that he is quite comfortable with the fact that he was one of the least talented of that Class of 92' but maximised his ability through sheer hard work and grit. He's book is a great read, I have a lot of time for him after reading it.

He's won pretty much everything and played with some of the best players in the world.

Clearly a clever guy, but definitely took the Valencia job far too early. Perhaps there are some parallels there between him and Lee at this job. He'll have no doubt learned lots from his time in Spain and I'm sure he'll be a successful manager one day. I think he'd be humble enough to take a job at a lower level now to prove himself.

If a managers position became available, and he was happy to slot into the head coach role rather than manager, I think he'd be a very interesting suggestion to consider. 

A lot of other managers were very happy watching GN fail miserably at Valencia, this after he had spent a lot of the previous couple of years telling other managers where they had gone wrong. I appreciate it was his job as a pundit to say what he saw, but by all accounts managers were not happy at being criticised by an ex pro that had never been a manager before.

Im not knocking him personally, but the majority of his work on tv as a pundit is 'after' things have happened, It's a lot easier to sit in a tv studio after a game and use hindsight. But it's not so easy standing in the dugout when your 1-0 down after 70 mins, 30,000 people waiting for your decision on who to put on and take off, what tactical switch your going to make etc etc.

He got found out at Valencia, yes a very tough job as your first one and one he shouldn't have taken on, in hindsight he can now see this!!

Would I want him at City, not particularly, I, like others, believe you should do a kind of apprenticeship at smaller clubs ( national league etc) before you get to the top two divisions, that's why I was shocked when LJ got our job.

7 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

A lot of other managers were very happy watching GN fail miserably at Valencia, this after he had spent a lot of the previous couple of years telling other managers where they had gone wrong. I appreciate it was his job as a pundit to say what he saw, but by all accounts managers were not happy at being criticised by an ex pro that had never been a manager before.

Im not knocking him personally, but the majority of his work on tv as a pundit is 'after' things have happened, It's a lot easier to sit in a tv studio after a game and use hindsight. But it's not so easy standing in the dugout when your 1-0 down after 70 mins, 30,000 people waiting for your decision on who to put on and take off, what tactical switch your going to make etc etc.

He got found out at Valencia, yes a very tough job as your first one and one he shouldn't have taken on, in hindsight he can now see this!!

Would I want him at City, not particularly, I, like others, believe you should do a kind of apprenticeship at smaller clubs ( national league etc) before you get to the top two divisions, that's why I was shocked when LJ got our job.

You make some decent points PB

He got found out at Valencia PB largely because of a 'difficult' dressing room that was there before he came and they were a mess

Have you heard Guillem Balugers I/v with him re Valencia - very very honest and he doesn't blame anything or anyone for the failure

Mind you - I hadn't realised that GN presided over a England in the Euros !!!

If we can give LJ the job , because of his friendship with owner & son and with two very mediocre hops across two L1 Clubs  - I know which experience I'd respect more ;)

Dont think anyone can say too much about GNs failures when they blindly make excuse after excuse for our current 'coach' ;)

No one before in the history of our club has had such - run of defeats so it's a fair bet that GN could at least manage to not do that !!!

Still at least Lees experience is relevant - after all he managed very similar at Barnsley 

Archived