IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

8 minutes ago, TRL said:

I reckon Wlad 10 years younger would have taken AJ's head off after the 6th. But he must have had so much belief in his own fight management not to do it.  That decision bit him in the ass, I think as you say AJ was there for the taking, I bet those muscles were feeling so tired for a few rounds, legs wobbly and arms feeling like lead.  Showed heart, a lot of heart, but I am betting Wlad feels like he made the wrong decision in that fight now.

Vitali in his pomp would've put his foot on the gas too, the more aggressive fighter of the two brothers.

Not sure what now for AJ? Tonight's result might force Fury to get his ass in gear. Otherwise Parker, Wilder, er...

EDIT just seen Ortiz in mandatory.

Edited by Kid in the Riot

Absolutely effin amazing fight, it had it all!

Massive respect for both fighters, AJ from coming from the brink of defeat to stay in and win by ko and Wlad for having the perfect game plan to stop AJ. his movement for a 41 year old heavyweight is inspiring and nearly won him the fight.

Both fighters are a credit to boxing and sport, dedicated, hungry and professional sportsman.

Brilliant stuff!

• Like 3

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Vitali in his pomp would've put his foot on the gas too, the more aggressive fighter of the two brothers.

Not sure what now for AJ? Tonight's result might force Fury to get his ass in gear. Otherwise Parker, Wilder, er...

Aye, I reckon Vitali was the better of the two as well, had more killer instinct for me.

i'd like to see Wilder,they are similar,both capable of the KO, after that,Fury,it will take him the best part of a year to gt back into shape, his style is so annoying I am not sure if AJ could deal with it,it would be interesting to see a AJ punch nailed on Fury's chin, just to really see what Fury is all about.

Just now, yardy said:

Absolutely effin amazing fight, it had it all!

Massive respect for both fighters, AJ from coming from the brink of defeat to stay in and win by ko and Wlad for having the perfect game plan to stop AJ. his movement for a 41 year old heavyweight is inspiring and nearly won him the fight.

Both fighters are a credit to boxing and sport, dedicated, hungry and professional sportsman.

Brilliant stuff!

Indeed, for me both the Klitsckho brothers were and are a credit to their sport, they get such a bad press, but the way both of them managed fights, for me was very impressive. Joshua will have learned a hell of a lot tonight, this may be the making of him.

Just now, TRL said:

Indeed, for me both the Klitsckho brothers were and are a credit to their sport, they get such a bad press, but the way both of them managed fights, for me was very impressive. Joshua will have learned a hell of a lot tonight, this may be the making of him.

Yea i agree Joshua will learn a lot from this and be better for it, he fought like he was too heavy and after knocking Wlad down the first time Joshua had gassed. 

Can't deny the Klitsckho brothers dominating a generation but they both bored me to tears most of the time, tonight i have huge more respect for Wlad

• Like 2

Just now, yardy said:

Yea i agree Joshua will learn a lot from this and be better for it, he fought like he was too heavy and after knocking Wlad down the first time Joshua had gassed. 

Can't deny the Klitsckho brothers dominating a generation but they both bored me to tears most of the time, tonight i have huge more respect for Wlad

Wlad used to like a bit of a tear up until he got a better trainer. then dominate and bored people.  I like them both, they went after the title,and kept it for a decade.

I think Joshua has the natural power, he could probably be more effective with being a little lighter with more speed.

• Like 2

Incredible fight and AJ can no longer be called a "hype job". Will of learned more tonight than he has in his previous 18. 

Fury is the fight people want to see but he's absolutely miles away in terms of fitness and licensing issues to even be considered in the near future. 

It will be very interesting to see who's lined up for him next. 

55 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What a fight.

I agree with @TRL about the muscle weight. AJ was gassing for 3 rounds after the knockdown and barely throwing anything back. He can't afford to do that again, particularly in with a younger fitter opponent with more of a killer instinct. I actually thought his corner could've thrown the towel in at one point.

I thought Wlad could have finished him but knew he wouldn't as that's not his style, he prefers a chess match.

Wlad was quality tonight though and deserves huge praise.

The night was made complete by Eddie Hearn getting booed at the end and finally realising that no one wants to hear from you ya bell end!

Great stuff. Could they do it all again?

Don't think you get the tongue in cheek booing mate,it's all down to box nation and frank warren saying boo them if they don't bring you the big fights. Which has moved on to the darts for a laugh 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

9 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I know there are bigger and better fights out there for AJ but is it just me who wants to see him knock out Tyson fury?

Just not sure I want fury making £millions though, dirty drug cheat! 

Not sure there are many bigger. AJ v Fury would see out wembley like last night imo.

24 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I think Parker would be disposed of like Martin. 

A fit and fully focused Fury still would give AJ problems especially if he plays the mind games like he did with Wlad. You can't underestimate how much he messed with him. 

Just watching that uppercut from AJ you've got to respect Wlad getting back up from it. Not many would. Proper warrior. 

Agree Parker would be disposed of like Martin but he's still got a title that Joshua wants so that might happen.

As said in commentary last night Tyson furys victory over Vlad is now made to look even more remarkable , as you said that fight was one out of the ring !!

A great fight, probably the best heavyweight fight since Lewis/Klitschko back In 2003. 

Absolutely thrilled for AJ. Showed great heart in there after looking unsteady in the middle rounds (I honestly thought he was done after the knockdown!). I have to say fair play to both Joshua and Klitschko. Showed class inside and outside the ring.

8 minutes ago, OutstandingMixer said:

A great fight, probably the best heavyweight fight since Lewis/Klitschko back In 2003. 

Absolutely thrilled for AJ. Showed great heart in there after looking unsteady in the middle rounds (I honestly thought he was done after the knockdown!). I have to say fair play to both Joshua and Klitschko. Showed class inside and outside the ring.

I was so excited I had to take a heart pill! An exceptional fight by both men.

2 hours ago, Super said:

If Fury gets hit with that uppercut like last night it will be goodnight. Make that any heavweight boxer.

Quite amazed it didn't  put Wlad on his ass.  They always go on about his suspect chin, but he took that beaut and needed another 3 or 4 clums to put him on  on his ass.  

The best heavyweight fight i have seen for years, credit to both fighters.

AJ is a amazing talent but lets not get carried away, he needs to learn and improve a lot in the next few years.

Lets be honest here Wlad could of and should of won, he had AJ beat but he let AJ recover and get back into the fight. Questions need to be asked about AJ's stamina, after putting down Wlad for the first time AJ's legs was gone, he was a sitting duck for a few rounds and he should of been put away.

AJ answered a few questions Saturday night, we now know he can take a shot from a top level heavyweight and we know he has a big heart to get up off the deck and win the fight.

If Wilder or Fury had AJ in that much trouble the outcome would of been different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yardy said:

AJ is a amazing talent but lets not get carried away, he needs to learn and improve a lot in the next few years.

Lets be honest here Wlad could of and should of won, he had AJ beat but he let AJ recover and get back into the fight. Questions need to be asked about AJ's stamina, after putting down Wlad for the first time AJ's legs was gone, he was a sitting duck for a few rounds and he should of been put away.

AJ answered a few questions Saturday night, we now know he can take a shot from a top level heavyweight and we know he has a big heart to get up off the deck and win the fight.

If Wilder or Fury had AJ in that much trouble the outcome would of been different.

Wilder and Fury may have been taken out in round 5 before that though. AJ was certainly gone though at the end of the 5th.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Wilder and Fury may have been taken out in round 5 before that though. AJ was certainly gone though at the end of the 5th.

Yea quite possible Wilder and Fury might not have lasted that long. I just worry for AJ he looked beatable the other night.....even Dillan Whyte had him in trouble.

16 hours ago, yardy said:

Completely agree Yardy.

First of all, it must be said, what a fight and what a spectacle, Great for the casual fans also who complain boxing is boring. Really entertaining. Fair play to AJ as well for coming back after seeming a beaten man in Round 6.

That said, let's not get ahead of ourselves. AJ lacked stamina and was out on his legs end of round 5 and then from rounds 6-9 where Wlad basically outboxed him. If the fight would have gone the distance Wlad would have won on points no question. Certainly the better technical boxer and makes me wonder if a fit and ready Tyson Fury could cause problems for the boy wonder AJ.

Joshua reminded me very much of Bruno. To his credit, he has the killer punch that can turn a fight in seconds if he connects, but lacks stamina and movement and would struggle against the 'boxers' rather than 'brawlers'. Say what you like about Fury, but he moved brilliantly against WK picking him off with the jab. Would be interesting to get him in the ring with AJ.

He'd certainly do Wilder though.

I'm not a boxing fan at all but having seen AJ in various interviews since his win I have been impressed with his demeanour and the way he presents himself.

Bright and articulate and very humble. Not what you see from many boxers, I was pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

If the fight would have gone the distance Wlad would have won on points no question. Certainly the better technical boxer

How can you be so sure mate when AJ was 3 up on one judges card and 2 up on another going into the 11th? Especially given that AJ then went and blitzed the bloke out of there. Seems a completely moot point to me.

AJ will always give people the chance to beat him because he goes in for the ko every time and that's why he's going to make so much money, he guarantees excitement.

He still had loads to learn but let's enjoy him rather than start to denigrate him just because he's made it, as some already seem to be doing (not a dig at you or Yardy btw, we seem to be great at that in this country).

• Like 1