IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

6 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Sound like the people at City are very annoyed with Nixon. 

It's his job, though.

We laugh at Stockhausen for his internet based guesswork, so can't complain at someone clearly in with agents who reports transfer speculation far more accurately...

12 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

I'm not complaining, I'm mealy stating that important people at our club are very ******* angry at him 

If true some important people at our club are very ******* naïve. Everyone knows LT is available, everyone knows we are probably interested, everyone knows a journalist has a job to do and will do that job; without releasing information he knows he's merely rehashing done deals. The club have no right to expect him to be silent, and I don't see what his doing so protects in any case. It's not like any other potentially interested suitors would have thought Bournemouth would not be open to selling. 

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

They've no reason to be angry with him, he's doing his job.

Doesn't sound right to me - are they that sensitive or naive ?

They didn't want it to be released. It's fairly simple mate. Every club wants to work in silence for transfers, and there's some transfers, with some agents, that it would be really helpful if the public didn't know about them.

Whatever's said by journos, fans on Twitter (and some of the stuff tweeted at Tomlin yesterday is so cringeworthy I can barely look. Look like teenagers doing the tweeting. They'll learn...), us on here, if this deal is to happen, it'll happen regardless. 

Always thought an offer from a rival club would be our main worry. But, looks like wages is. Said before, I'd pay him what we wants. Maybe not as high as 30k, but mid-20s. 

I'm not feeling very hopeful though. The longer these things go on, the less our chance of getting him. Hope to god I'm wrong but also hope/assume we have several targets lined up, as indicated by our journo friend.

7 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

They didn't want it to be released. It's fairly simple mate. Every club wants to work in silence for transfers, and there's some transfers, with some agents, that it would be really helpful if the public didn't know about them.

It's still his job and if the club wanted silence, who let Nixon know? The club can't control these things. They can control what they offer the club and player. It's up to them to get it done before more interest comes along. Simple. If we lose out on Tomlin it has nothing to do with what some journalist said on Twitter but our ability to provide what a player is looking for and whether that player likes Bristol city. If wages or anything like that is a stumbling block then we've tried punching above our weight again and lessons weren't learned or being taught again to new people. We aren't going up unless we pay. If you don't want to pay stop telling everyone you want premiership football and get on with developing your own players. 

8 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

An agent wouldn't be doing their job too well if they didn't warn other potential suitors of another bid. Equally, a journalist wouldn't be doing their job too well if they didn't report what they knew. Whilst the club may like things to be done behind closed doors, it's naïve to expect others to play ball. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It's still his job and if the club wanted silence, who let Nixon know? The club can't control these things. They can control what they offer the club and player. It's up to them to get it done before more interest comes along. Simple. If we lose out on Tomlin it has nothing to do with what some journalist said on Twitter but our ability to provide what a player is looking for and whether that player likes Bristol city. If wages or anything like that is a stumbling block then we've tried punching above our weight again and lessons weren't learned or being taught again to new people. We aren't going up unless we pay. If you don't want to pay stop telling everyone you want premiership football and get on with developing your own players. 

You clearly don't understand transfers. I'll put it simply. 

It gets leaked

Clubs under pressure to get it done before any club puts in good bid

Agent spots the pressure 

wage demands go up by 5k a week 

club refuse to pay

deal falls through

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

An agent wouldn't be doing their job too well if they didn't warn other potential suitors of another bid. Equally, a journalist wouldn't be doing their job too well if they didn't report what they knew. Whilst the club may like things to be done behind closed doors, it's naïve to expect others to play ball. 

When Tomlin wanted it done as quickly as possible, his agent shouldn't go spouting stuff.

I know it's early but it's already getting tiring isn't it? We have this ability to let negotiations drag on. Be more ruthless. I want Tomlin as much as the next person but make your best offer as he is your main target and if he can't accept it, move on. He knows he's appreciated here, he knows he would play every week and he knows the club wants to push on. The club and he have the same goals. Stop messing about with him and the agent. Offer is there for this many days then I'm on to the next. Tired of the club looking dumb on every target. 

5 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

When Tomlin wanted it done as quickly as possible, his agent shouldn't go spouting stuff.

Well that's between Tomlin and his agent; who he could sack for starters. If he's keen he will still sign the bottom of the page. On the flip side if I was someone's advisor and representative and they dictated to me how to act I might say 'go do it yourself if you don't value my input and expertise'. 

I fail to see why Nixon has stepped on anyone's toes. What's the worst that can happen; an extra bit of money needing to go to Bournemouth? In the context of the deal I doubt it will be so significant. 

8 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

It gets leaked

Agent spots the pressure 

club refuse to pay

deal falls through

No I think we all understand it perfectly.

The club, and perhaps yourself, are being naive if you think you can conduct business at the top end without anyone knowing.

The higher you go, the harder it gets to keep it quiet as there are more and more advisors involved.

Ashton et al better wake up and smell the coffee quick if they didn't know that. 

21 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

It gets leaked

Agent spots the pressure 

club refuse to pay

deal falls through

which is exactly why you go in low in the expectation of being asked to stump up more; just like you do when buying a house, buying a car, offering a job, even. When I was getting advice for my first house purchase my mate told me if you aren't embarrassed by your initial offer you've offered too much.

If you want to buy 'off-the-market" then you pay a premium. 

24 minutes ago, eric04 said:

No I think we all understand it perfectly.

The club, and perhaps yourself, are being naive if you think you can conduct business at the top end without anyone knowing.

The higher you go, the harder it gets to keep it quiet as there are more and more advisors involved.

Ashton et al better wake up and smell the coffee quick if they didn't know that. 

This exactly. It's the same as last year with the exception of Tomlin actually being here. Tomlin knows what he's worth to the club and the fans. He probably knows we can't offer his prem wages and his agent is feeling out whether he can get them anywhere else in this league so he can say there is a better deal. Whether that happens or not, who knows? It's clear that it's hard to sign high profile players when you're a smaller club like we are. Easier for a Derby or Newcastle to get deals done faster. 

I feel like it's pretty much a done deal, maybe a few loose ends to tie up. 

All players in England report back for for their clubs on July 1st. 

Would seem strange for Tomlin to get married, go on honeymoon for 2 weeks, and then come home around mid-late June; to then begin sorting out where his future lies.

6 minutes ago, RockleazeRed said:

resized_fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-ca

Haha so true.. Everything points to a piss take, and funny joke.. But at the same time.. You can't help but hope someone's brothers sisters dogs brothers uncle is waitressing at a wedding in the Midlands today

Right, so just to get my head around this thread without trawling all the way through it...

Lee has been having Twitter 'Banter' with a number of our supporters and some have read it that he's hinted he's been in discussions?

Marlon Pack's 'Dad' has had a ramble on Facebook possibly being indiscreet about transfer dealings?

Someone called Nixon, who's ITK (or not) has said more than he should?

Lee Johnson follows Tomlin on Twitter? Which means what? (I was once retweeted by Ricky Gervais but that doesn't mean I'm his best mate)

Tomlin is now getting married?

We are no further than we were on the last day of the season?

Is all that correct?

Cheers

6 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Lee Johnson follows Tomlin on Twitter? Which means what? (I was once retweeted by Ricky Gervais but that doesn't mean I'm his best mate)

Whilst this is true, the comment i made earlier about LJ following someone was in reference to Nixon. 

Archived