IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

47 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

I’m sure the Germans like the Spanish, Italians and French will be  consoled having won it the tournament before. 

As would any English person. 

I dont know about that,yes we’ve won it but that was before i was even born.

It would be a lifetime goal of mine to see us lift that beautiful trophy.

18 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

I dont know about that,yes we’ve won it but that was before i was even born.

It would be a lifetime goal of mine to see us lift that beautiful trophy.

I didn’t quite make my point well. I’m trying to say despite this failure all of these countries have recently won it whereas we haven’t. 

Random thought just struck me watching the replay of the Paulinho goal. 

You see that sort of goal quite often where an attacker pokes it at height over the keeper. 

Anywhere else on the pitch if you attack an aerial ball like that you’re going to be lucky to escape without a red card, especially if the defender puts his head in. 

How come it’s different if it’s agajnst a keeper? Not saying I want to see goals ruled out but Paulinho’s foot was head height as the keeper rushed towards him. 

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

No need to thank me but Germany's fate was sealed the moment I backed Werner for the Golden Boot.

Not to worry, he's got the Order of the Boot. As have the rest of 'em.

A case of Kroos, but no cigar?  :fear:

Just switched back to Brazil.  Have to say I am trying hard to suppress my dislike of them.  Trouble is I can see them winning it, especially if Marcello stays injured and they are forced to play their best left back at left back.. Neymar is a complete tosser. 

2 hours ago, North London Red said:

Looking at how slow the German attack has been over their three group games, it makes Leroy Sane’s omission look all the stranger now.

There were plenty of dismissive comments when he was omitted along the lines of ‘well, he’s only played well in the premier league, Germany clearly have loads of better players playing in the Bundelsiga’. These three games have suggested that perhaps they don’t. 

Not sure. Admittedly I look stupid now as they were my tip for the tournament however there have been lots of rumours of squad unrest. Something was obviously seriously amiss as they were poor in all three games.  

PS enjoy Kalingrad.  Lots of City heading over to this one and some of our Belgian friends 

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Just switched back to Brazil.  Have to say I am trying hard to suppress my dislike of them.  Trouble is I can see them winning it, especially if Marcello stays injured and they are forced to play their best left back at left back.. Neymar is a complete tosser. 

They’re the only big side that have actually looked impressive thus far. England aside, obvs. 

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

They’re the only big side that have actually looked impressive thus far. England aside, obvs. 

If we've looked good then so have both Uruguay and Belgium certainly.  We need to play someone better than Yeovil first though...

Just now, The Bard said:

If we've looked good then so have both Uruguay and Belgium certainly.  We need to play someone better than Yeovil first though...

Yeah I was being a bit tongue in cheek with England haha. I meant the likes of Germany, Spain, Argentina etc!

Belgium do look good as do Uruguay and Croatia form the ‘next tier’

Been a very enjoyable WC IMO!

29 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not sure. Admittedly I look stupid now as they were my tip for the tournament however there have been lots of rumours of squad unrest. Something was obviously seriously amiss as they were poor in all three games.  

PS enjoy Kalingrad.  Lots of City heading over to this one and some of our Belgian friends 

Cheers!

Totally didn’t intend my post to be a gloating ‘look how stupid everyone was to tip Germany’ type post...after all it’s very easy to be wise after the event, and nobody would have backed them to go out in round 1 - just still genuinely surprised they omitted a player as quick and skilful as Sane. Clearly Low had a great record up until now (I think he’d reached at least the semi final in every tournament he’d managed in) and as you say, something was clearly amiss in their squad this time - perhaps over the coming days we’ll hear more. 

My pre-tournament tip was France and they’ve also looked quite lethargic at times so far, albeit in a much easier group than Germany’s. France could themselves be out by the end of the weekend. 

What has happened to the time old tradition of swapping shirts at the end of a game.

I admit a few years ago it got a bit silly with people running up to Messi etc at halftime, but has it been banned?
Would a player get a yellow for showing his pecs after the final whistle?

53 minutes ago, potbelly said:

What has happened to the time old tradition of swapping shirts at the end of a game.

I admit a few years ago it got a bit silly with people running up to Messi etc at halftime, but has it been banned?
Would a player get a yellow for showing his pecs after the final whistle?

Someone’s feeling a bit frisky ;)

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

That should be the Order of Das Boot surely?

I like the cut of your jib, RRH. I believe the official term is Der Großauftrag des Stiefelette, mit Blätter von Schande. And rotten tomatoes and eggs on arrival... :fear:

15 minutes ago, 42nite said:

If we get past the group of 16

Japan/Senegal/Columbia

It's.....

Brazil/Mexico in Q/F if we win the group v Belgium.

Or

Sweden/Switzerland in Q/F if we finish 2nd behind Belgium.

Hmmm

Totally get that the potential quarter final opponents might appear easier if we finish second - but that’s of course contingent on a huge ‘if’, ie that we win our last 16 game. 

The quarter final against France was looking like a great game 2 years ago, until Iceland had other ideas.

It’s dangerous to look too far ahead as that can create a risk of subconsciously taking our eye off the next task. If Belgium don’t knock us off our perch tomorrow night, Colombia very well might in the last 16. Hopefully neither of them (nor Japan or Senegal) do, however!

I think there’s a good chance of Columbia winning their group. Don’t know about others, but I’d rather face Japan/Senegal and cross the QF bridge when we come to it.

Columbia are tidy. They have very vocal support and I think it would be really difficult for us. 

3 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I think there’s a good chance of Columbia winning their group. Don’t know about others, but I’d rather face Japan/Senegal and cross the QF bridge when we come to it.

Columbia are tidy. They have very vocal support and I think it would be really difficult for us. 

This post could look very silly by next Tuesday, but in order of preference I’d rather play Senegal first (mainly as we’ve never lost against African opposition in our history), then Japan, then Colombia last. Colombia have a few big game players / potential match winners, and big and vocal support, as you say. 

Cue England v Senegal with a Senegal victory now I’ve said that...

Yeah a lot depends on if Colombia win the group now imo.  If they top it, that's a harder last 16 tie than the group winner will get so it kind of evens out the "easier" quarter final draw.  That said, if Japan win the group (and they likely only have to beat Poland to do so), the England/Belgium game could be a bit of a farce really.

Archived