IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

On 30/06/2023 at 11:22, Davefevs said:

Think I saw somewhere that their iFollow tv money was circa £900k in 21/22, probably increased last season.

Revenue - it’s ok saying £4m in Shirts, but we all know that’s not profit, and profit margins in shirt sales is small, so it’s nice “Willy-waving” to quote numbers like that.  It’s a shame he never balances it against Wages going up by £3.1m or Agent fees of £900k.  That’s the salesman in him.

Or even a simple losses grew (doubled) by £6.25m (to £12.64m) in his first year there.

Out of interest, why is the profit margin on shirts small? Not doubting you, but there’s a huge difference between what an unbranded nylon shirt costs in the shops and the outlandish prices for shirts with a club badge on them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Out of interest, why is the profit margin on shirts small? Not doubting you, but there’s a huge difference between what an unbranded nylon shirt costs in the shops and the outlandish prices for shirts with a club badge on them.

I recall reading an article that said clubs typically receive from 7.5% to 15% of the revenue from sales. The manufacturers pay the club up front so they look to recoup by taking most of the revenue.

27 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Because the manufacturers take a huge cut of the supply chain.

This is a great explainer from Tifo:

So we really need to know the granularity of Ashton’s £4m revenue from shirt sales.  Based on Tifo, and at its most basic - that’s £12 profit on a £60 shirt, and requires 333,333 shirt sales.

My guessing is that the £4m figure isn’t just shirt sales, but a bunch of commercially related deals off the back, e.g. shirt sponsorship from Ed, etc, etc.

If course no mention of any costs incurred in the “shirt sales” supply chain either.

Thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

So we really need to know the granularity of Ashton’s £4m revenue from shirt sales.  Based on Tifo, and at its most basic - that’s £12 profit on a £60 shirt, and requires 333,333 shirt sales.

My guessing is that the £4m figure isn’t just shirt sales, but a bunch of commercially related deals off the back, e.g. shirt sponsorship from Ed, etc, etc.

If course no mention of any costs incurred in the “shirt sales” supply chain either.

Thoughts.

Thanks Dave, that's obviously where I remembered the 7%-15% range from.

Tifo is an excellent channel as is Tifo IRL for tactical stuff.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 14:48, Davefevs said:

Thoughts.

I always thought the mark up on shirts were huge. Eg, The £12 quoted was the cost price on a £60 shirt, not the profit.

On 01/07/2023 at 07:05, Davefevs said:

Yep, and there is a huge difference in a CEO doing the financial and contractual processes of incomings and outgoings (which is fine), than involving himself with Talent ID and / or deciding when to move players on to influence his bonus.

A CEO is going to be involved in everything at any business on some level to be fair. 

But yes there are ‘internal (:laugh:)’ pressures that may get in the way of operations. 

It often comes down to fine margins…If a decision is made to do something over a period of time, that is normal business operations. Accelerating these decisions for individual and/or group benefit is almost impossible to establish. However it happens all the time. 

Im not sure what Mr Ashton may or may not have done, however the man makes my flesh crawl. 

Nevertheless he’s not unique and I’m going to guess he has garnered enough experience to continue to do well for himself. 

I read some of the article up the page and it certainly made me feel he was dealing with a different set of circumstances than he was here. The Americans will see him for what he is, but use that to their advantage regardless of their knowledge of 442 etc etc etc!

8 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

So you’ve never made/laughed at something that might have had the ability to offend somebody? Of course you have. It’s just humour. You don’t find it funny but you probably laugh at other things that others wouldn’t find funny. 

No I haven’t! And when you lost someone you know through MND you wouldn’t! To see them in their motionless state in front of you and them not being able to comeback to you when you’re chatting to them, I just hope you never have to go through something like that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redpole said:

No I haven’t! And when you lost someone you know through MND you wouldn’t! To see them in their motionless state in front of you and them not being able to comeback to you when you’re chatting to them, I just hope you never have to go through something like that. 

I was actually making a joke about the name, not MND. From what you are saying that would have to mean you have never laughed at someone’s stand up comedy (Rick Gervais for example) which I find hard to believe. People just pick what they want to be offended about these days based on what is personal to them. 

49 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

So you’ve never made/laughed at something that might of had the ability to offend somebody? Of course you have. It’s just humour. You don’t find it funny but you probably laugh at other things that others wouldn’t find funny. 

I've never ever joked about MND you are correct, if you'd been through what I have with a very close family member I doubt you would either 

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

Likes to spend money doesn’t he. Looking at 4.5M on Hirst who they had on loan at the tail end of last season. 

The more spent the more take home in commi$$ion 

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

Likes to spend money doesn’t he. Looking at 4.5M on Hirst who they had on loan at the tail end of last season. 

Wow, that is an extraordinary amount for a player with no record to talk about at this level.  Willing runner of the channels, puts himself about.  But quite unrefined on the ball.

If I thought we needed that player he’s probably ok, but not at £4.5m.  £1m(ish) because he is under contract would’ve been my valuation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Distortia said:

Just seen that Ipswich are 13/1 to be relegated. So apparently less likely to go down than us (6/1), Swansea (7/1), Coventry (10/1), West Brom (10/1), Millwall (11/1)….

Surely worth a cheeky fiver considering they didn’t even win the league!

I would guess as well as perception based on size of club it would be a bit on them capitalising on momentum, coming up in a positive frame of mind and having money to spend.

Perhaps Kieran McKenna and his ties to Man United could give them an advantage in the loan market too.

(Yes I know bookies is where the money goes but these are some reasons as to why potentially).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Hirst for 4.5m seems punchy at best. I’m not sure many clubs would go for that for a player with his record. No goals at this level, modest at the level below and not really exceptionally young - 25 this season. May be one that fits the club but definitely has MA “Engvall” vibes.

On the subject of MA vibes…

• Haha 1

Our business this window has made me so so happy this ***** isn’t here anymore. Feels so relaxing and calming knowing we have actual football people in place at the club now. 

Seeing what Ipswich are doing vs what we’ve done so far this window is bliss. 

• Like 6

Ipswich fan in peace.

The fee for Hirst is 1.5 mill not 4.5 just to clarify.

Possibly rising to about 2.5.

I have a soft spot for your club.

Makes me sad to see the hate for Ashton when to us he's doing a good job but at the same time, I could meet a lass who's great to me but a grade a b*tch to a previous fella. So makes sense in that case.

Anyways you're signings have impressed me so far and if I'm being honest I can see links to our business too.

Here's to a great season for both.

On 11/07/2023 at 21:12, petehinton said:

Our business this window has made me so so happy this ***** isn’t here anymore. Feels so relaxing and calming knowing we have actual football people in place at the club now. 

Seeing what Ipswich are doing vs what we’ve done so far this window is bliss. 

Town fan here. (consider myself a realistic fan). 21/22 I did think cook went too soon but ultimately it's worked out. The reason Ipswich fans really love what Ashton is done is the communication. Clearly you lot have had piss poor experience with him in the past but he's not gone into hiding as you thought he would. Time will tell as he seems to stick around at places for 5 or so years. The fans feel connected to the club, the stadium is being looked after and upgraded, our transfers are more precise each window, the data dashboard is there from MA but McKenna is bringing in his targets. £1.5 each for Taylor and Hirst is good business. Latter's can rise to almost 4 after add-ons but that includes a prem clause etc. The core of the squad that had an excellent run in is quality enough to compete and the additions over the summer, 3 so far, and another maybe 2/3 could come will be good quality players improving the team and gives us a proper fight for top half. None of this promotion dross people are shouting for (wouldn't say no of course). Good luck to you all