IGNORED

Kalas operation

Chessels Chick

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Sorry, perhaps its me being a bit dull but why would his value go down after he has had an op and fully recovered ? His value (on the books with a year left of his contract) is circa £3 million how is that going to drop right down due to having an op. Most players have an operation of one sort or another during their career, their valuation doesn't automatically drop as a result.

Perhaps he has been rested and having an op now so that we are in a position to get full value if he is sold.

I agree with you. Also playing devils advocate if we are looking to sell in the summer, by having the surgery now means there is less chance he will fail a fitness test when signing!

3 million also sounds about right to me as well, I’m sure @Davefevs or @Mr Popodopolous Will correct me if I’m wrong but the rumours I saw were we paid £8 million for Kalas on a 4 year deal. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/tomas-kalas-bristol-citys-time-3040231.amp

The amortisation of kalas equates to 2 million a year. As such his amortised value in the summer (final year of his contract) is 2 million.  Any fee over 2 million would show a profit in the accounts. 

I would also think it fair to assume Kalas is one of our higher earners. If he is on 20k a week. If sold in the summer we would then save circa 1 million in wages. 

In this scenario a 3 million fee for Kalas would show a million profit in the accounts and a million less on the wage bill this improving the accounts by 2 million

Personally I would look to sell in the summer. I cannot see him signing a new contract with us ( we cannot afford his current wages) and from the next contract he signs is realistically going to be his last big contract. there is also the consideration that die to his age he would leave for nothing the following summer. 

• Like 1

Spot on @Gol??????

Just one minor point, we’d also avoid having to pay the £2m of amortisation too.  So you can look at it as either:

£1m transfer profit plus £2m amortisation avoided, or…

£3m in total

(plus wages, assuming buying club take on his wages).

Selling Kalas for £3m would bring us pretty much into £39m ffp territory.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Id like to think the operation would bring Kalas back to full fitness, if he's been playing injured for ages as has been claimed then he's still been good inspite of that. Assuming we waited til safeish so he could go in

He's also worth a damn sight more than 3mill even in this depresed market. 5-6 as in his prime. However that's just me. 

I'm not sure anyone knows where the market is at the moment. EFL to Prem, probably minor difference downwards, unless there are a few Clubs interested. But from EFL to EFL there will be less Money ( parachute payments excepted ) all round, but still there will be a few that can seemingly spend more. I imagine there may be a couple that see a chance of risk/reward being worth a punt, but will anyone top end of the Championship want Kalas ? I'm not so sure, and the rest just won't have the money IMO.

All speculation I know, but I think it could well be an old fashioned window. More clubs looking down the Leagues for bargains, which will make our rebuild all the harder.

Kalas’s fee (should be be sold) is likely to be dependent on a number of factors, e.g. who buys him and from what League (home or abroad), whether he wants to stay here and the contract offer we can make, etc, etc.

I think he will move in the summer.  @petehintonmade me wobble a bit last week, but I think it’s a position Pearson wants a specific ball winning defender for, and Kalas - as good as he is - is a different sort.

I’m impatient for summer contract and transfer news. ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Kalas’s fee (should be be sold) is likely to be dependent on a number of factors, e.g. who buys him and from what League (home or abroad), whether he wants to stay here and the contract offer we can make, etc, etc.

I think he will move in the summer.  @petehintonmade me wobble a bit last week, but I think it’s a position Pearson wants a specific ball winning defender for, and Kalas - as good as he is - is a different sort.

IIRC he turned down Feyenoord or PSV to join us, and he admitted he didn’t have it in him to move abroad again and try and feel settled again when he already felt so happy in Bristol (words to that effect). 

Wonder if he feels differently now given how poor we are vs him basically joining us as part of a ‘promotion team’. 

TBH If I was him & someone like Feyernoord/PSV came in for me (either now or then) I’d be off quicker than you could say crepe & a bong ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

He will have no shortage of offers from here or abroad. I sometimes think we're as a fanbase are well hard, cynical , scathing on our players to the point where we have this bias about thinking that because they play for us and we're currently rubbish, they must also be rubbish. 

Soon to be 29 in contract defender masses of Champ, and international experience will certainly be a draw. 

He's got promoted twice from this league as well. 

See also @petehinton post.

Why on earth would he stay here ?

Total dead end currently and in the near to medium future.

Total waste of his career when he will get offers elsewhere.

Kalas and Bentley must want out you would think.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Kalas will move for several reasons.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

@AshtonRobin21 Not going to quote your whole post, but think your appraisal of Kalas is spot in & 100% agree re Raggett & would also say that Ihiekwe is OoC at Rotherham, too.

Personally I’d give Morrison a very wide berth, his injury record of late is too much of a gamble for me.

I think this is a good opportunity for the club to 'trade smart' to us an LJ term. 

Kalas can be seen as a source of income, which can easily be replaced with free agents this window. There's no doubt in my mind that we already need one new centre back as a minimum. If we were to sell Kalas then that would be 2+ required. 

As previously mentioned, Raggett is a like for like replacement. This would leave the club in a healthier position with reduced wages and a transfer fee of around £2m. 

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

IIRC he turned down Feyenoord or PSV to join us, and he admitted he didn’t have it in him to move abroad again and try and feel settled again when he already felt so happy in Bristol (words to that effect). 

Wonder if he feels differently now given how poor we are vs him basically joining us as part of a ‘promotion team’. 

TBH If I was him & someone like Feyernoord/PSV came in for me (either now or then) I’d be off quicker than you could say crepe & a bong ???

I didn’t know about those other offers at the time.  Remember the “training cone” and “wanting to settle” comments though.

Suspect he thought the he was signing to play alongside Webster too!!! ?

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

@AshtonRobin21 Not going to quote your whole post, but think your appraisal of Kalas is spot in & 100% agree re Raggett & would also say that Ihiekwe is OoC at Rotherham, too.

Personally I’d give Morrison a very wide berth, his injury record of late is too much of a gamble for me.

Raggett nailed on to get Pompey Poty and 6ft 5 and very dominant in air so worth a shout

27 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Raggett nailed on to get Pompey Poty and 6ft 5 and very dominant in air so worth a shout

Undoubtably good in the air, I’ve always found him a bit “clumsy” on the deck both defensively and on the ball.  I’m not sure the upside is there in a 28 year old who spent an injury ravaged loan at Rotherham in the Champ, pretty much his only spell at this level.  OOC this summer, but Pompey’s year option is reliant on promotion, which looks a bridge too far this season.  I think there are better options, but just my opinion.

Here’s some stats.

906F2C48-513E-49C5-A869-8BA77AD4738A.thumb.jpeg.2359a3e442cb288a3ccd935639fd0810.jpeg

9B487C2E-C203-4182-814F-6609A121F8A8.thumb.jpeg.4c7be59d1829134d8a36fa453b0fbc4d.jpeg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Undoubtably good in the air, I’ve always found him a bit “clumsy” on the deck both defensively and on the ball.  I’m not sure the upside is there in a 28 year old who spent an injury ravaged loan at Rotherham in the Champ, pretty much his only spell at this level.  OOC this summer, but Pompey’s year option is reliant on promotion, which looks a bridge too far this season.  I think there are better options, but just my opinion.

Here’s some stats.

906F2C48-513E-49C5-A869-8BA77AD4738A.thumb.jpeg.2359a3e442cb288a3ccd935639fd0810.jpeg

9B487C2E-C203-4182-814F-6609A121F8A8.thumb.jpeg.4c7be59d1829134d8a36fa453b0fbc4d.jpeg

Enough about your playing days, what about Raggett?

• Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s some stats.

Fair enough, always respect your views.

Be interested in who those options (reckon we might need 2) are.

The Czech Republic have 4 matches in June so if he's fit and can get some pitch time before then he may be in contention for a start in some or all of those games. If he plays he will be in the media spotlight globally. So a fee paying transfer  could be possible. 

I take the point that TK played best with Webster but there is the possibility that an incoming centre back during the window could be the perfect pairing to get TK back to the best form we've seen from him so far. Thomas has some very good attributes, not least he is quick on the turn and over the first 10 yards.

Or perhaps Atkinson will make the step up after an injury / illness start here to be the ideal partner for him either in a 3 or 4 at the back.

One way or another It may yet turn out to be a big(ish) plus for us.

Or get him signed on a new, lower wage deal and improve the balance sheet? Although I think that is less likely than a fee paying transfer if we can get it.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, always respect your views.

Be interested in who those options (reckon we might need 2) are.

I think the good ship Østigård has sailed unfortunately, but I’d be looking at Mads Andersen at Barnsley (24), dominant CB, can play in a high line too.  In an ideal world, Kalas would be a great partner for him.  I think Atkinson will know what it’s all about next season too.  Andersen will have a year left, v.likely to be in Lg1, low wages (Barnsley pay crap) and that’s why I think we might be able to get him.  There are a couple of free transfer Champ CBs but they might get extended…so seeing what happens.  Otherwise….

Shame Reading look like staying up, McIntyre I like.

Ditto Hull with Greaves, although he’s left sided.  D’Shon Bernard is on loan from Man Utd, and contract expires in the summer.

Think these will be beyond us in our current financial state, but if we do sell or get a sell-on, we could move.

Otherwise we are into Lg1 with the likes of Elliott Moore and Jordan Storey (at Wednesday on loan from PNE, suggesting surplus to requirements).  Storey is ex-Exeter, so a move back to the SW might be tempting?

Over the coming weeks we will hear a bit more conjecture re players availability come the summer, both our own players and other clubs!

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the good ship Østigård has sailed unfortunately, but I’d be looking at Mads Andersen at Barnsley (24), dominant CB, can play in a high line too.  In an ideal world, Kalas would be a great partner for him.  I think Atkinson will know what it’s all about next season too.  Andersen will have a year left, v.likely to be in Lg1, low wages (Barnsley pay crap) and that’s why I think we might be able to get him.  There are a couple of free transfer Champ CBs but they might get extended…so seeing what happens.  Otherwise….

Shame Reading look like staying up, McIntyre I like.

Ditto Hull with Greaves, although he’s left sided.  D’Shon Bernard is on loan from Man Utd, and contract expires in the summer.

Think these will be beyond us in our current financial state, but if we do sell or get a sell-on, we could move.

Otherwise we are into Lg1 with the likes of Elliott Moore and Jordan Storey (at Wednesday on loan from PNE, suggesting surplus to requirements).  Storey is ex-Exeter, so a move back to the SW might be tempting?

Over the coming weeks we will hear a bit more conjecture re players availability come the summer, both our own players and other clubs!

Good stuff.

I appreciate he only seemingly scores against us, but Helik at Barnsley is always someone who impresses me, absolute beast as well.

Out of contract at Hull is Sean McLoughlin a left footed CB, they are a far better unit defensively than us.

Storey is definitely worth a conversation, a Somerset lad too, so shouldn’t have to work too hard to sell it to him if we’re interested.

Moore’s deal has been extended by a further year at Oxford, I believe.

Ihiekwe at Rotherham I mentioned before, a Bailey Wright type of gritty CB, also OoC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Moore’s deal has been extended by a further year at Oxford, I believe.

Can you find a link.  Harry said the same, I can only find Robinson saying they will take up option, not that they have.  Could be a promotion based option, in which case Robinson might be trying to dampen interest???

I like Ihiekwe, but at 29 I’m not so sure.

Re McLaughlin, don’t mind admitting he’s missed my radar…maybe because of Greaves and Barnard….he’s a bit like the 5th Beatle!!!

Helik is a good shout.