IGNORED

Emad Meteab Set To Play Againat Zamalek Tomorrow

ahly fan

This whole situation is confusing! Just trying to pick out some facts, we sign a player, see him in with a city top telling us its his dream etc etc. Gary Johnson is quoted to say he will go back to Egypt to say his goodbyes but will not play, fair enough. Nothing more is said until we find out he played in tonights game!! Now I'm not saying someone is lying or whatever but we should agree something isnt right about the whole situation. Either City have jumped the gun and introduced him as a City player to early or Emad has gone against GJs wishes or its somewhere in the middle. Either way it would be nice to have an official statement from BCFC soon.

This whole situation is confusing! Just trying to pick out some facts, we sign a player, see him in with a city top telling us its his dream etc etc. Gary Johnson is quoted to say he will go back to Egypt to say his goodbyes but will not play, fair enough. Nothing more is said until we find out he played in tonights game!! Now I'm not saying someone is lying or whatever but we should agree something isnt right about the whole situation. Either City have jumped the gun and introduced him as a City player to early or Emad has gone against GJs wishes or its somewhere in the middle. Either way it would be nice to have an official statement from BCFC soon.

Agree.

But GJ formly believed that he was our player and would not be eligible to play tonight. He was either telling porkies or he was mis-informed or someone in Egypt has pulled a fast one.

Which is it?

Or a late change in circumstances meant he was allowed to play and the OS just didn't tell us. I agree that we deserve some form of answer tomorrow but i very much doubt it will be as clear cut as you suggest.

We have been scouting this very exciting signing for over a year and so i doubt after all the hard work put in GJ will just pull the plug on this transfer if he is able to.

The game is over, he is injury free and he has played 90 minutes of competitive football which i imagine makes him more 'match' fit than any other member of our squad. Tonight could of gone horribly wrong if he would have picked up a serious injury but it didn't and i very much look forward to welcoming him to our club.

No one's head needs to roll. The official website is not a legal contract with the fans and you need to be in possession of the facts before you are sure someone has lied. The club were in Portugal and media output was inconvenient. End of. Emad may have been grossly unprofessional but let's allow the club to decide that. We are not in possession of the facts and to jump all over this waving red flags is barely concealing an overall view of this transfer which wouldn't have changed if he'd arrived on a giant Robin with the Wurzels and moved in on North Street.

Either he has been unprofessional or the club have been giving us dud information - either intentionally or not.

Precisely. I don't think you meant it that way, but I think peversely, we both agree. The club had done some interviews but the announcement could have come at any time. It actually came an hour or two before the Olhanense game but in the context that tells me it wasn't ideal timing and may have been forced upon them (which is one way to describe the clamour on here). If Gary was telling you and those out in the Algarve what had happened with the greatest respect that tells me it wasn't his planned position for the announcement but as good a one as any.

Why did they feel pressure? This board had been full of it for weeks - why did it change last Wednesday. Indeed, why not tell the truth and say he signed as from next Monday? Why go out of your way to say that he was ineligible? If the interviews had already been done for release this coming week, then there would have been no need to even mention tonight's game.

1. If Meteb has gone against the clubs wishes and played when he shouldn't have then I hope he never pulls on a City shirt;

2. If the registration isn't through yet then why did the club say that he was our player and that he wasn't eligible for tonight?

3. Why did GJ say 2. above? Was he misinformed - if so by whom? If he was so mis-informed then surely that person should go - he's made the manager look like he doesn't know what's going on.

4. If the transfer doesn't apply until tomorrow, why is it the club didn't seem to know that? I can understand the transfer applying from tomorrow so that he could play tonight - but no-one at the club seemed to think it was the case - why not?

I'm sorry, I just can't see any explanation that would square with any of the questions above. Does GJ strike you as the kind of manager that would let a player play in what could be a full bloodied derby for sentimental reasons? You'll be suggesting next that LJ only plays cos of who his dad is!!

There's at least a dozen different possible explanations for 2, 3 & 4 in this thread and although I disagree with you on 1) the main point I'd make is that until you know the facts it's premature to be calling for people's heads and slaughtering the player.

I believe it's far more likely that the situation changed last week when GJ etc were in Portugal than it is that anyone's been duped or lied to or that it's been done behind the manager's back.

It could be as simple as the deal being signed and sealed except dependent on the work permit (so we don't get stuck with an ineligibile player) and then Ahly phoning up and saying "look, he can't play for you until you get the permit, that won't happen til next week, and we're short of players - if we knock a few £ off can we play him? He'll get some fitness from it too". I can certainly see GJ going for that particularly when he knows the player wants to play badly.

could the egyptian club force Emad to play this game by holding on to his registration until monday? dirty trick if that is the case. I can see Emad wanting to play as well ,but the decision is taken by the manager who plays ,not the player.

Imo Emad has shown a level of commitment that i can respect

Either he has been unprofessional or the club have been giving us dud information - either intentionally or not.

Why did they feel pressure? This board had been full of it for weeks - why did it change last Wednesday. Indeed, why not tell the truth and say he signed as from next Monday? Why go out of your way to say that he was ineligible? If the interviews had already been done for release this coming week, then there would have been no need to even mention tonight's game.

Pleeeeeese calm down everyone. Now, can someone tell me what the score was for goodness sake. :pacifier:

It could be as simple as the deal being signed and sealed except dependent on the work permit (so we don't get stuck with an ineligibile player) and then Ahly phoning up and saying "look, he can't play for you until you get the permit, that won't happen til next week, and we're short of players - if we knock a few £ off can we play him? He'll get some fitness from it too". I can certainly see GJ going for that particularly when he knows the player wants to play badly.

I'm willing to bet (not too much though) that this is the case.

The contract was signed on Wednesday but he is formally not our player until he get's a work permit.

GJ said: "Finally, subject to a work permit, Meteb is a Bristol City player"

The first payment is also made upon transfer of registration.

The contract was signed on Wednesday but he is formally not our player until he get's a work permit.

GJ said: "Finally, subject to a work permit, Meteb is a Bristol City player"

And then went on to say that he would be ineligible for tonight's game.

There's at least a dozen different possible explanations for 2, 3 & 4 in this thread and although I disagree with you on 1) the main point I'd make is that until you know the facts it's premature to be calling for people's heads and slaughtering the player.

I believe it's far more likely that the situation changed last week when GJ etc were in Portugal than it is that anyone's been duped or lied to or that it's been done behind the manager's back.

Really? You believe that? So tomorrow there'll be announcement that we got a 10% discount? Wow, transfers by Tesco - every little helps!! Look, I accept and believe that he doesn't officially become our player until next week or until the work permit comes in - makes perfect sense. What goes against that though is the statement by the club that Meteb would be ineligible for tonight's game - they were clearly wrong. Why were they wrong? Who got it wrong?

Why? Because it fits with what you want to believe, or because you have some information that points to it being the case?

it just fits what i want to believe. from what i can see he becomes a city player from tomorrow which suggests hes eligible, which leaves it down to either an agreement between the clubs or something very bad. he was saying goodbyes at the end and i did post that the link from the first post on this thread ssaying that it is assumed an agreement is in place.

edit quote "The squad surprisingly included Bristol City’s newly-signed striker Emad Meteb.

City manager Gary Johnson said recently it was not possible for the Egypt frontman to participate in the match as the English side were due to apply for his work permit.

However, it seems Ahli and City reached a compromise over allowing Meteb to say goodbye to his fans."

source http://www.filgoal.com/english/News.asp?NewsID=45057

Really? You believe that? So tomorrow there'll be announcement that we got a 10% discount? Wow, transfers by Tesco - every little helps!! Look, I accept and believe that he doesn't officially become our player until next week or until the work permit comes in - makes perfect sense. What goes against that though is the statement by the club that Meteb would be ineligible for tonight's game - they were clearly wrong. Why were they wrong? Who got it wrong?

Personally, as long as GJ knew that Meteb was playing, I don't give a shit.

I don't understand why you're so upset about something that is most likely as trivial as the club website not being updated when something changed last week whilst the people who update it were on the tour.

Frankly I'll be quite happy for nothing to be said at all and the deal to go through - that will be all the confirmation any fan should need.

Applied to your views, that question makes it appear you don't want Meteb to be a city player...

I was happy to trust GJ to have made the right decision. I know nothing about Meteb as a player so don't feel qualified to comment on his suitability or otherwise but, I can tell you this, I was happier to be getting Meteb than Phillips, Tyson or a host of others that have been mentioned on this forum.

I was happy to trust GJ to have made the right decision. I know nothing about Meteb as a player so don't feel qualified to comment on his suitability or otherwise but, I can tell you this, I was happier to be getting Meteb than Phillips, Tyson or a host of others that have been mentioned on this forum.

Well, there I can agree with you.

Guest Bristol City  93

I personally think theres nothing to worry about, I'm sure everyone involved knows whats happening, however if hes gone behind GJ's back then I hope GJ cancels the deal.

Personally, as long as GJ knew that Meteb was playing, I don't give a shit.

I don't understand why you're so upset about something that is most likely as trivial as the club website not being updated when something changed last week whilst the people who update it were on the tour.

Frankly I'll be quite happy for nothing to be said at all and the deal to go through - that will be all the confirmation any fan should need.

Would have felt the same if they'd put a story up on Friday saying that, contrary to earlier reports Meteb would be playing on Sunday because despite what we said on Wednesday, he is eligible to play. They were wrong on Wednesday - very wrong, he was neither our player or debarred from playing further games for Al-Alhy - and I don't think the club should get matters of this sort wrong - it's their core business.

Next they'll be forgetting to send out contract offers to under 24's allowing them to leave the club for nothing!

I can't answer the question and I don't think the club has to adress them either. Subject to a work permit he is a City player. Fine with me.

Oh bugger!!! :rofl2br:

another quote sugesting we have given permission

Nevertheless, Meteb's agent Nader Shawki confirmed to FilGoal.com that his client will play in the Cairo derby.

"Although their initial stance suggested otherwise, Bristol City have agreed to let Meteb play against Zamalek," he said.

source http://www.filgoal.com/english/News.asp?NewsID=44967

another quote sugesting we have given permission

Nevertheless, Meteb's agent Nader Shawki confirmed to FilGoal.com that his client will play in the Cairo derby.

"Although their initial stance suggested otherwise, Bristol City have agreed to let Meteb play against Zamalek," he said.

source http://www.filgoal.com/english/News.asp?NewsID=44967

That will speed up the cancellation of his registration I'm sure :fingerscrossed:

The article is from late the 16th so it all happend under a busy Wednesday with the team off to Portugal.

Meteb is making us all very, very TIRED..

What goes against that though is the statement by the club that Meteb would be ineligible for tonight's game - they were clearly wrong. Why were they wrong? Who got it wrong?

For gods sake get over it mate, we all support City but they're not the bloody government. You're creating a scandal, demanding investigation about a situation where there was news coming out of Egypt on an already complicated transfer, a 31 page thread, a medical conducted in the hope of keeping it quiet for a week and the clamour on this very forum to say something... they said it, clearly in inopportune circumstances from Portugal, possibly without eveything as they wanted it, now you want someone held responsible for what they said being 100% accurate.

This is NOT a witch-hunt. No one was wrong. If I had to guess I reckon the club had to balance the risk of minor innaccuracies on the transfer with the groundswell of frustration among their supporters on this very forum at the absence of news about the transfer. Clearly they acted for the majority and possibly even published an entire press-release that wasn't intended until next week. The bit about the Al Ahly Zamalek game was included but probably without anything actually sorted yet. They weren't wrong but hadn't actually made it right either yet.

Whatever happens now where GJ is concerned and whether or not we ever see Meteb, your view is OTT as others have said. If they had released that news with no prompting and without the details secured I might agree with you, but after all the speculation and anticipation they gave us the news we wanted, it wasn't finalised (that much should be bloody obvious now) and we now all wonder if it was planned or if Emad has betrayed the club. Whereas potentially we could have waited and all received an accurate story tomorrow, in the first place.

Archived