IGNORED

Mifsud By What Time Today ?

redrebel

As with Colchesters first season, or did they ride their luck to.

Colly went down because they sold two strikers who tore the division apart in their first season and did not replace them.

The same as Reading in the Prem. They sold good players and never really replaced them.

As with Colchesters first season, or did they ride their luck to.

I think I can shoot that analogy down.. lets see..

1. City had and continue to have money to spend on quality players.

2. City can attract a much better player

3. City have arguably the best gaffer in the championship unlike the somewhat untried and, remember, new ex gashead gaffer.

4. Our away support was one of the best last season.. Colchester probably do not fill a bus. away support was crucial.

5. Home support also a major factor perhaps not so much as away... thats open to much debate but our support massive compared to colchester

6. Their tea prices, at 50p, are the best in the land. This is not a positive argument for the City but it is the only benefit of colchester over City and even then I doubt tea prices have much impact on team performance... that is only my opinion though.

p.s. our back room staff and strength in depth in all positions should not be underestimated either.

I would very surprised if we are not there or thereabouts with the squad we have as of now, let alone new signings.

Just been reading the Palace forum and came across this post:

very clear from nw (Colin to me and you) on bbc london. We have not bid for mifsud, i will never bid for him. Its a made up story by the sun.

:dunno:

Yeah thats what i came across mate, well it wouldnt be the first made up story by the sun.

Lets hope it is :fingerscrossed:

No, we pushed for the prem, every other team knows how we played last season and thats not going to change until we have different players on board with different tactics. Hope your right about Trundle but i can see him playing less, he was brought into score goals, unless we can find someone to play along side him to give him that bit extra. Last season the championship was poor. hope I'm wrong but mid table seems more likely.

but - we're going to get new players?!

we're currently about to sign Mifsud (read nothing to make me disbelieve that - one report in the Sun gets you alllll excited!), we'll sign at least one more?

that plus a squad who nearly got into the prem really really really isnt anything to be negative about. what's tricky to understand here?!?!

but - we're going to get new players?!

we're currently about to sign Mifsud (read nothing to make me disbelieve that - one report in the Sun gets you alllll excited!), we'll sign at least one more?

that plus a squad who nearly got into the prem really really really isnt anything to be negative about. what's tricky to understand here?!?!

I am with you on this.

There are so many threads on here that are all but the same, can they not be merged??? :fastasleep:

New players - Gary Johnson said they are coming. I believe him and wont be getting impatient.

I am very positive about our squad. Excellent set of professionals who give 100% for the team, and no big heads who think they are better than everyone else. They almost got us there last season, with that experience behind them I cant see why they cant get us there this season.

Also, with a fit Brooker this season, we have got one quality striker already that we didnt have last season..

Nick carle was the same, and when we didnt get to the Prem he thought he was too good for BCFC and buggered off.

Palace made an enquiry. GJ weighed it up and made the decision that Carle `didn`t tick all his boxes` and so were allowed to speak to the player. In that event it was obvious to Carle he wasn`t wanted here. Nothing like Meteb or Mifsud.

PDG

Does anyone else think some people are over reacting a tad?? Last week he deffinetly wasnt coming and everyone hated him because hes a money grabber! all because a paper said he hadnt agreed terms and was thinking about it! Then sunday we get told its all sorted and he did agree terms :disapointed2se:

Now hes back to being the antichrist because a very very reliable paper ( sarcasim very low form of whit) has said palace agreed a fee on saturday!! Surely SL would of been informed about this before sunday! I expect him to be a city player by the end of the week!! :englandsmile4wf:

Ah I get it, all this panic is based on a story originating from that bastion of quality journalism known as the Sun newspaper? A source only slightly more reliable than the people "in the know" on here.

Have a bit of faith in SL & GJ, I think after the last couple of years they deserve that much at least.

Seems to be a few stories about Palace making a late bid http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/...ip/Bristol+City

Cant think why else he wouldnt have signed today when it was made pretty clear he would be?

If he does sign for Palace think people should respect the club keeping transfers quiet in future this is exatly what happens when you annouce things before the deals actually happened.

I think I can shoot that analogy down.. lets see..

1. City had and continue to have money to spend on quality players.

2. City can attract a much better player

3. City have arguably the best gaffer in the championship unlike the somewhat untried and, remember, new ex gashead gaffer.

4. Our away support was one of the best last season.. Colchester probably do not fill a bus. away support was crucial.

5. Home support also a major factor perhaps not so much as away... thats open to much debate but our support massive compared to colchester

6. Their tea prices, at 50p, are the best in the land. This is not a positive argument for the City but it is the only benefit of colchester over City and even then I doubt tea prices have much impact on team performance... that is only my opinion though.

p.s. our back room staff and strength in depth in all positions should not be underestimated either.

I would very surprised if we are not there or thereabouts with the squad we have as of now, let alone new signings.

Do agree with you, ive just been on a bit of a whinge, sometimes on this forum its needed. so i will stay positive and look forward to another good chapter of BCFC.

Seems to be a few stories about Palace making a late bid http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/...ip/Bristol+City

Cant think why else he wouldnt have signed today when it was made pretty clear he would be?

If he does sign for Palace think people should respect the club keeping transfers quiet in future this is exatly what happens when you annouce things before the deals actually happened.

Except in this case in would have been kept quite by the club but coventry chose to release the info- so we had to confirm.

coventry wanted to start a bidding war hopefully that never materialised.

How about staying in the Championship , is that on your agenda because our ineptitude in the transfer market this summer will severely threaten our survival.

I have no fears about staying where we are. The only danger at the moment is the lack of cover if we get injuries, particularly if we have only 3 strikers (though I don't beleive that will be the case come the end of the transfer window). I don't believe we have been inept either. That impression has been created by recent events outside our control, where other clubs/agents have put things in the public domain against our wishes. Admittedly it didn't help that we announced Meteb before contracts were signed and it might have been better if Steve had been more circumspect about Mifsud. We are right not to pay over the odds for the likes of Maynard though. With the resources and standing of our club it's hard to see what else we could have done.

But on that Basis...why has Steve Lansdown been quoted in the press as being desperate for Premier league football? Simply becuase staying still is a recipe for disaster.

There constant quotes from the maanger and the players throughout the season to that effect.."aim for the top and the reality might be half way" ....."aim to stand still and you may get relegated". And it is that sentiment that has got one or two on here a bit twichy.

I am expressing myself very badly, and overstating to make a point, not to mention some dreadfull spelling! Of course Steve's attitude is right. So is his financial policy. He wants the Prem but not at any cost. I guess what I'm saying is that we must not put the club at risk to get there. If that means we cannot get the players we want because we can't pay high enough wages so be it. Of course we don't yet know if that is the case with Mifsud or anybody else yet but I suspect we have looked abroad because both the fees and the wages those players expect are lower. Very sensible. In the longer term we need to up the standard of our Academy players, as Steve suggested, to supplement any affordable gems Gary can unearth.

I 100% agree the acdamey is not brining through first team quality, however have a look around at other championship teams not many seem to be producing great amounts of talent either.

Even look at some of the top prem clubs i mean they might bring through the odd one or two decent youngsters like we have (lita cotteril) but on the whole I'm affraid to say young english talent seems to be hard to come by not just at are academy but all over the country.

Very true. Palace and Cardiff seem to be the exceptions in our league and we may be able to learn from them but we have been at the third tier a long time and it will take more time to attract better young players.

latest news from coventry is that mifsud was left out of there tour to scotland and instructed to play with the youth team.

heard the same rumour up here in coventry from a mate who works down at the ricoh who stated that a club from the premier league was lining up a bid and his agent(mifsud) told him to hold fire and not sign

A few extra quid a week and he'll play wherever he's told with a grin on his face.

First off we don't yet know the facts so we have no grounds to criticise. However if he were to join Palace it won't be for football reasons as he will indeed end up on the wing, having said he doesn't want to play there. Footballers invariably say they want to move to further their career, a fresh challenge, that it has always been their dream to play for this or that club etc.. Loosely translates as give me a signing-on fee and higher wages. I'd probably do the same. :innocent06:

Thats rubbish. I would question other teams coaches/scouts if they didn't realise how we played after ten games last season.

That argument has no substance to it.

I agree. Logically the argument would work both ways. If other clubs know how we play then we know how they play. Wouldn't the two cancel each other out?

Very true. Palace and Cardiff seem to be the exceptions in our league and we may be able to learn from them but we have been at the third tier a long time and it will take more time to attract better young players.

What annoys me, though, is that even when we have a couple of decent players like Cotterill and Myrie Williams one had absolutely no football brain and tried to dribble the ball out of his own penalty area and the other one had a first touch that suggested he had a Toblerone tied to each foot. And yet when these players go to other clubs they find their way back to Ashton Gate some time in the future far better players. Take Myrie Williams - what did Ronnie Moore and his coaches at Tranmere do that our coaches seem unable to do? You also get a player like Tristan Plummer who can do plenty of nice show pony tricks and who is turning out, at the moment, to be lightweight and lacking in stamina. I am sorry but this is down to rank bad coaching from our Academy. The same Academy that has also failed to produce one decent goalkeeper in it's whole time considered good enough for our squad. I get the feeling that Steve Lansdown is not seeing enough of a return for BRISTOL CITY on the investment, particularly when you add the fact that our reserves don't even get to play in the Academy reserve team league and end up playing the likes of Weymouth, Forest Green and, even worse, Bristol Rovers. I think our Academy may need to up it's game very quickly just to survive.

latest news from coventry is that mifsud was left out of there tour to scotland and instructed to play with the youth team.

heard the same rumour up here in coventry from a mate who works down at the ricoh who stated that a club from the premier league was lining up a bid and his agent(mifsud) told him to hold fire and not sign

I'm getting to the stage now where if we sign Mifsud then great but if we get gazumped then we just have to accept it, get in a couple of players that can keep us in the division comfortably and steadily build a reputation at this level. At the moment I think bigger name players are still wary of coming to us and see us as a "second season syndrome" (I detest that term by the way) risk. It seems to me that until we are seen as part of the furniture at this level we will continue to have these problems with bigger name players, and particularly their AGENTS, who are able to use us as a vehicle to obtain better wages and a deal at a bigger and preferred club. It is beginning to look like we are the backstop option when we talk to these players. That seems to be one of the pitfalls of playing with the bigger boys. We are now a smaller fish in a bigger pond and it will take a couple of years of consolidation and the proposed stadium construction to change that situation in my view.

As I say there is still a chance that we will announce Mifsud as signing this week - there's just no point in getting stressed about it now.

GWR this morning quoted Colin as not interested in Mifsud and that he will be signing for us today, Mifsud that is not Colin

Presumably, if he is to sign, GJ will want him in the squad tonight therefore we should expect an announcement by mid-day if anything is going to happen today.

Presumably, if he is to sign, GJ will want him in the squad tonight therefore we should expect an announcement by mid-day if anything is going to happen today.

Thats right, colin has denied bidding for him in the wdp, anyway i have heard any more deals for palace, wood hinge on watson leaving and the money financing it, but watson wants to stay living in london, thats why has`nt signed for birmingham, so colin could be playing for time, so it is up to mifsud to make up his mind, another slant on this subject is alan smith is mifsuds agent and also friends with simon jordan, so say a palace fan on 606....

Archived