IGNORED

Say Yes To Tesco

Rich

There is now mounting opposition from growing numbers not only to Tesco but also to the new stadium.

New petitions are now with the prime ministers online petitions, now other groups are coming out of the woods to protect the green belt.

The opponents are:

DRAG dundry residents against greenbelt development,

HOLA hands off Long Ashton,

Shortwood green against greenbelt development (south Glos)

Warmley and Siston aginst greenbelt development (south glos)

BERATE bedminster residents against Tesco,

Some people on this site seem to think these people are fighting a losing battle and it is going to be a piece of cake getting planning permission.

You never know how things can change.

Apathy is our biggest opponent or is it arrogance from over confidence.

To be expected.

Tescos is in the bag - no reasons not to grant planning permission. They're flogging a dead horse on that one.

The green belt issue has been discussed within local, regional and national government and they'll have to come up with something new to stop the stadium going ahead.

Greenbelt expansion has been halted temporarily by the government due to opposition in the southeast and is under review.

I signed, as i live in bedminster, but thats not why i signed, i put my name to the petition because, its bristol city, and thats all that matters to me, my wife works for asda, so i could see that as direct competition. But for me its ,"city til i die" end of...

I am just two names down from you...

Thanks for signing I wish some more would. I'm starting to think people aren't bothered which is a shame as it is important.

Only one member of my family has been bothered to sign as yet, sad isn't it.

Apathy could come home and smack us in the face.

Thanks for signing I wish some more would. I'm starting to think people aren't bothered which is a shame as it is important.

Only one member of my family has been bothered to sign as yet, sad isn't it.

Apathy could come home and smack us in the face.

It isn't necessarily apathy. Maybe people just don't want another ****ing supermarket in the area.

It isn't necessarily apathy. Maybe people just don't want another ****ing supermarket in the area.

Maybe they are super ****ing confident the'll get one that they don't ****ing think they need to sign, so all the sad ****ing people that Hate Tesco are going to be even more upset than they already are.

I'm not a resident of the area although I do know some background of southville etc.. having had family members live there in the past. I would only sign such a petition if I thought the area was short of a superstore which it isn't. Tesco's are nice and convienant but it is a sad sight to see so many! e.g In town from corn street to the bottom of the galleries to have 3 is just disgraceful!

I want the club to get the new stadium but lets see what else is in the pipe line than rushing to let tesco take our old stadiums place.

Everywhere Tesco (or any other supermarket) wants to build has a "say no to Tesco" petition going.

The decision will be taken on more than a few self interest petitions.

If Bristol are selected as a World Cup host city and the new stadium depends on the sale of AG to Tesco, I am sure it will go through. The economic benefits to Bristol would be enormous.

Nail on the head.

It's in the bag.

what annoyed me yesterday was that Sainsbury's allowed the Ashton Vale Heritage Group to badger people on the way in to do their shopping. They got quite nasty with me when I said that I wouldn't sign their petition!! I complained to Customer Services as I felt that they shouldn't be allowed to stand in front of people and almost force them to sign (I live in Ashton Vale FFS and if I was going to object I would have done so by now!) and reminded the management how much money they actually make from people attending the game. One of the groups also have a sign up by the railway bridge reminding people to object by 4th August. The most annoying thing about this is the field next to where the ground is going to be which is owned and maintained by this mob is knee deep in grass. I have also heard that they have been scaremongering about the Rapid Transport terminus - for once the Evil Post reported this correctly!

what annoyed me yesterday was that Sainsbury's allowed the Ashton Vale Heritage Group to badger people on the way in to do their shopping. They got quite nasty with me when I said that I wouldn't sign their petition!! I complained to Customer Services as I felt that they shouldn't be allowed to stand in front of people and almost force them to sign (I live in Ashton Vale FFS and if I was going to object I would have done so by now!) and reminded the management how much money they actually make from people attending the game. One of the groups also have a sign up by the railway bridge reminding people to object by 4th August. The most annoying thing about this is the field next to where the ground is going to be which is owned and maintained by this mob is knee deep in grass. I have also heard that they have been scaremongering about the Rapid Transport terminus - for once the Evil Post reported this correctly!

Was this petition against the plan for a new Tesco, or against the plan to build a new stadium? (The 2 things are very separate issues.)

Was this petition against the plan for a new Tesco, or against the plan to build a new stadium? (The 2 things are very separate issues.)

The two things are seperate issues but BERATE and other objectors are linking the two, so if we don't support the Tesco plan then we might find tougher opposition (which is growing) to the stadium plan.

The two things are seperate issues but BERATE and other objectors are linking the two, so if we don't support the Tesco plan then we might find tougher opposition (which is growing) to the stadium plan.

doesn't matter one little bit, planning won't turn down the Stadium because people don't want AG to become a Tesco.

What was their petition for?

Tesco's are nice and convienant but it is a sad sight to see so many! e.g In town from corn street to the bottom of the galleries to have 3 is just disgraceful!

I don't understand this one to be honest. If you don't like them don't shop there. Other people find them useful and use them. Anyway, as I said before I don't think this is really about liking Tesco or disliking them - I rarely use Tesco and do most of my shopping on North Street. But just because I won't use the shop I won't object to it - I will carry on heading up to North Street for my grub and let Tesco do its own thing because I can't see any way it'll be bad for the area.

What was their petition for?

I didn't stop to find out but as an Ashton Vale resident, I'm 99% certain it was against the stadium as they have been leafleting the area asking us all to object and have put a placard by the railway bridge saying we have until 4th August to object or it will be too late to save the greenbelt. All the people there were Ashton Vale residents. As I said previously they have been spreading rumours that houses will have to be knocked down to accommodate the Rapid Transport terminus and that the stadium will block out peoples light and generally trying to turn people against the stadium. I'm surprised they even approached me as I was wearing a Bristol City polo shirt. I was more annoyed at Sainsburys tbh, especially as they make money out of both sets of supporters on matchdays!

In fairness I have not seen Berate linking the two issues.

I have seen their members quoted many times saying that Mr Lansdown linked the world cup to the new stadium and without Tesco developing Ashton Gate then there will be no stadium and no world cup.

They have also said that Mr Lansdown is bullying the council into allowing the new stadium by linking the two.

Mr Lansdown actually said that if Tesco weren't allowed to develop AG then other funding would need to be found.

By this statement it obviously means money found to build the stadium.

Have a look on their site, there are many minor issues and I can understand peoples concerns about certain things like traffic and the disruption from the development.

Mostly it seems as if they are organised by the green party and a few corporate hating politically motivated people that

don't like anything to do with Tesco.

I have seen their members quoted many times saying that Mr Lansdown linked the world cup to the new stadium and without Tesco developing Ashton Gate then there will be no stadium and no world cup.

They have also said that Mr Lansdown is bullying the council into allowing the new stadium by linking the two.

Mr Lansdown actually said that if Tesco weren't allowed to develop AG then other funding would need to be found.

Have a look on their site, there are many minor issues and I can understand peoples concerns about certain things like traffic and the disruption from the development.

Mostly it seems as if they are organised by the green party and a few corporate hating politically motivated people that

I'm sure the Ashton Gate development will impact on Ashton Vale and 2018 - how can it not. If the £20m figure is accurate then we could be looking at a £15m shortfall which as we all know is massive. I mean we've just transfer listed a very good player over wages (and while I have absolutely no idea about what the wage demands/offers were) that could come down to arguing over a few hundred quid a week. We know our football club along with most others operates to tight margins and annual losses, so yes £15m difference would be a massive blow to Ashton Vale but I'm not sure Berate are linking the two. They're probably trying to divorce them while Ashton Vale Heritage Group are trying to link them.

All a bit muddy and my point about Tesco is based on my opinion as a resident but the club too will need that money - no doubt.

I'm sure the Ashton Gate development will impact on Ashton Vale and 2018 - how can it not. If the £20m figure is accurate then we could be looking at a £15m shortfall which as we all know is massive. I mean we've just transfer listed a very good player over wages (and while I have absolutely no idea about what the wage demands/offers were) that could come down to arguing over a few hundred quid a week. We know our football club along with most others operates to tight margins and annual losses, so yes £15m difference would be a massive blow to Ashton Vale but I'm not sure Berate are linking the two. They're probably trying to divorce them while Ashton Vale Heritage Group are trying to link them.

All a bit muddy and my point about Tesco is based on my opinion as a resident but the club too will need that money - no doubt.

It is definately Berate and it's members that are linking the world cup bid and Tesco. One of their arguments is that the world cup bid and new stadium development should not be linked and losing the finance from Tesco is not a criteria for the planners allowing Tesco to be built.

That is the point, it is not.

As I've said before, I find some of the arguments from both groups pushing reality, but ome of this stuff had me laughing.

Firstly, taken from http://beratebedminster.wordpress.com/

"300 cars an hour" will visit the site. Come off it, the Bath Road doesn't see that much traffic going through Saltford and that is hardly congested.

Tellingly from the BERATE facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=138541810464) " There are lots of us in this group now but local councillors are saying they have not had many letters/emails objecting to a Superstore at Ashton Gate. We need to get the message across to them urgently."

It seems rather than a public outcry, it's more of a whimper. It seems the sheppards are failing to find enough sheep.

Top website of the night has to be http://www.ashtonvaleheritage.co.uk/

"Ashton Vale is a small community on the edge of South Bristol. With beautiful open spaces and land protected by Green Belt Policy, local people have valued the fields, woods and beautiful Colliters Brook that surround Ashton Vale for generations. A walkers, joggers and children's paradise, mostly flat, you can amble along public footpaths, wander through open countryside, sit by a babbling brook and picnic with friends and families. Yet amazingly this unique area is just minutes from the City Centre.

A quiet residential area in a treasured rural position, set just minutes from a major city it has managed to maintain a village like atmosphere. There are many third and fourth generation families living here with uninterrupted views of Ashton Court, Long Ashton ancient village church and the village, the longest in Europe set against a landscape of the the famous Bristol Suspension Bridge.

"

Sounds like a paradise doesn't it, when in reality it's an ex landfill at worse or some poorly kept fields at best.

The emptive and misleading language doesn't stop there mind. http://www.ashtonvaleheritage.co.uk/page2.htm

"You have one chance, just one, and if you miss it, then say a big welcome to your new 10,000 new neighbours. Say Hello to a structure so vast that it will block out any other building or landscape. Say Hi to thousands of football supporters who will file past YOUR WINDOWS"

They might as well say that the stadium is going to block out the sun, while hordes of football hooligans use this darkness to their advantage by raping and pillaging the sleepy hamlet of Long Ashton.

"We live in an area with a population of less than 2000, add another 10,000 and think it still won't affect you. Add a 40,000 seat football stadium, hotel blocks of flats, fast food, car park, turnstiles, floodlights, big screens, coaches, police vans and dogs, TV crews, still think it won't affect you or your family or your way of life? Lights on 24 hours a day, security crews, guard dogs, still think it won't affect you?"

What harm have turnstiles done to anyone? Damm those turnstiles and their wicked ways.

I'm about to view the forum...........

As I've said before, I find some of the arguments from both groups pushing reality, but ome of this stuff had me laughing.

Firstly, taken from http://beratebedminster.wordpress.com/

"300 cars an hour" will visit the site. Come off it, the Bath Road doesn't see that much traffic going through Saltford and that is hardly congested.

Tellingly from the BERATE facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=138541810464) " There are lots of us in this group now but local councillors are saying they have not had many letters/emails objecting to a Superstore at Ashton Gate. We need to get the message across to them urgently."

It seems rather than a public outcry, it's more of a whimper. It seems the sheppards are failing to find enough sheep.

Top website of the night has to be http://www.ashtonvaleheritage.co.uk/

"Ashton Vale is a small community on the edge of South Bristol. With beautiful open spaces and land protected by Green Belt Policy, local people have valued the fields, woods and beautiful Colliters Brook that surround Ashton Vale for generations. A walkers, joggers and children's paradise, mostly flat, you can amble along public footpaths, wander through open countryside, sit by a babbling brook and picnic with friends and families. Yet amazingly this unique area is just minutes from the City Centre.

A quiet residential area in a treasured rural position, set just minutes from a major city it has managed to maintain a village like atmosphere. There are many third and fourth generation families living here with uninterrupted views of Ashton Court, Long Ashton ancient village church and the village, the longest in Europe set against a landscape of the the famous Bristol Suspension Bridge.

"

Sounds like a paradise doesn't it, when in reality it's an ex landfill at worse or some poorly kept fields at best.

The emptive and misleading language doesn't stop there mind. http://www.ashtonvaleheritage.co.uk/page2.htm

"You have one chance, just one, and if you miss it, then say a big welcome to your new 10,000 new neighbours. Say Hello to a structure so vast that it will block out any other building or landscape. Say Hi to thousands of football supporters who will file past YOUR WINDOWS"

They might as well say that the stadium is going to block out the sun, while hordes of football hooligans use this darkness to their advantage by raping and pillaging the sleepy hamlet of Long Ashton.

"We live in an area with a population of less than 2000, add another 10,000 and think it still won't affect you. Add a 40,000 seat football stadium, hotel blocks of flats, fast food, car park, turnstiles, floodlights, big screens, coaches, police vans and dogs, TV crews, still think it won't affect you or your family or your way of life? Lights on 24 hours a day, security crews, guard dogs, still think it won't affect you?"

What harm have turnstiles done to anyone? Damm those turnstiles and their wicked ways.

I'm about to view the forum...........

Do these people actually live in Ashton Vale!? I've never read so much rubbish in my life and I've lived here for almost 23 years!!

Oh this tops it by a country mile

"Its 2012, a beautiful summers day...

...from about 11.00am the coaches started arriving, I can't see them over the 18 foot wall at the end of my garden, but I can hearhundeds of people milling about in the car park. The smell of fastfood, woke me early and the seagulls were particularly noisy today. Lots of rich pickings after the concert last night and loads of rubbish left in the car park. Late wasn't it, it ended at 12.00 but with all the coaches and cars, beaping horns and engines starting it was almost 3am before the car park fell silent. Still five hours sleep better than last week. At least there is no market starting up early today.

The music playing in the stadium is loud today, can't hear myself think, its like living int the middle of a fairground. The 80 foot big screens are playing replays of last weeks game. Oh for an hours extra sleep, not any more, especially at weekends. I remember September 2008, we had a brief indian summer at the end of the month. The field returned to green after the diggers had cleared the site. I thought then, I must remember this day, if we don't do something now to stop this within a year or so this will all be a memory.

Well the police and police dogs which earlier chased a group of lads through the gardens have gone. At least till the match ends. Last week about 200 people ran through the gardens, turning over everything, still wqas only a few gardens damaged. We always knew they would find short cuts through the houses. The helicopters started arriving early bringing in the football directors. There are six police vans parked outside today along with three ambulances and vans with police dogs. Still hopefully they will be gone in a few hours. Feel the need for some green space aand quiet today so may take a drive down to Clevedon or go and sit on the downs. How strange, I used to be able to just open the back door, even at the front its like a main road now. Amazing how many cars come down here expecting to find sa shortcut and then have to reverse back up the road. We had two coaches trying to turn here last week. It was mayhem.

Its so hot in the city now and all this concrete is so oppresive. The lights from the hotel glare in through the window at night, what with the floodlights on the pitch. Its constant daylight now. The bins were all emptied at 6am, so the seagulls were close by. I need to go to Sainsburys, but if I go now I won't be able to park here again. Last week I had to park in South Liberty Lane and walk back home, I could not get anywhere near the house and then had to wait until the match was over and then go back for the car later. Picked up a load of fish and chip packets from outside the garden and if I had a penny for every bottle and coke tin.

Still could be worse........could be back to when they were developing and building. Oh the noise and dust. Month after month of steel gurders, cranes, concrete, that was so bad, all the rubble and infill. Its odd now with all the land on the same level. Still have a weeks holiday to look forward to, trying to get out into the countryside and enjoy some quiet. Right back to reality, time to close all the doors and windows to keep out some of the noise.

DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS TO BE YOUR REALITY? "

Oh this tops it by a country mile

"Its 2012, a beautiful summers day...

...from about 11.00am the coaches started arriving, I can't see them over the 18 foot wall at the end of my garden, but I can hearhundeds of people milling about in the car park. The smell of fastfood, woke me early and the seagulls were particularly noisy today. Lots of rich pickings after the concert last night and loads of rubbish left in the car park. Late wasn't it, it ended at 12.00 but with all the coaches and cars, beaping horns and engines starting it was almost 3am before the car park fell silent. Still five hours sleep better than last week. At least there is no market starting up early today.

The music playing in the stadium is loud today, can't hear myself think, its like living int the middle of a fairground. The 80 foot big screens are playing replays of last weeks game. Oh for an hours extra sleep, not any more, especially at weekends. I remember September 2008, we had a brief indian summer at the end of the month. The field returned to green after the diggers had cleared the site. I thought then, I must remember this day, if we don't do something now to stop this within a year or so this will all be a memory.

Well the police and police dogs which earlier chased a group of lads through the gardens have gone. At least till the match ends. Last week about 200 people ran through the gardens, turning over everything, still wqas only a few gardens damaged. We always knew they would find short cuts through the houses. The helicopters started arriving early bringing in the football directors. There are six police vans parked outside today along with three ambulances and vans with police dogs. Still hopefully they will be gone in a few hours. Feel the need for some green space aand quiet today so may take a drive down to Clevedon or go and sit on the downs. How strange, I used to be able to just open the back door, even at the front its like a main road now. Amazing how many cars come down here expecting to find sa shortcut and then have to reverse back up the road. We had two coaches trying to turn here last week. It was mayhem.

Its so hot in the city now and all this concrete is so oppresive. The lights from the hotel glare in through the window at night, what with the floodlights on the pitch. Its constant daylight now. The bins were all emptied at 6am, so the seagulls were close by. I need to go to Sainsburys, but if I go now I won't be able to park here again. Last week I had to park in South Liberty Lane and walk back home, I could not get anywhere near the house and then had to wait until the match was over and then go back for the car later. Picked up a load of fish and chip packets from outside the garden and if I had a penny for every bottle and coke tin.

Still could be worse........could be back to when they were developing and building. Oh the noise and dust. Month after month of steel gurders, cranes, concrete, that was so bad, all the rubble and infill. Its odd now with all the land on the same level. Still have a weeks holiday to look forward to, trying to get out into the countryside and enjoy some quiet. Right back to reality, time to close all the doors and windows to keep out some of the noise.

DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS TO BE YOUR REALITY? "

I've never read such drivel in my life!! It's well known in the Ashton area that you don't take your car out after midday on matchday, the parking can't get any worse than it is now. Any Ashton Vale resident who has been to any of the consultations or presentations (like me) would know that some of their facts are incorrect

Rich,

Just thought I'd answer some of the questions/points raised here by you and others:

1. BERATE is not organised by the Green Party or any party, but has been set up by people who live in the streets around the stadium who don't want a massive superstore (of any kind) at Ashton Gate. There are people who live on streets around the stadium, in Southville, and Bedminster who have supported the statements made and been active in the group. There is alot of rubbish talked about how the opponents are loony lefties or TESCO hating types. Most people are just ordinary residents and shop keepers who want to preserve what we have already. The owners of Veg shops, Butchers, Bakers and Hardware shops and others are not all members of some elite loony left/green opposition. They employ many people directly and in their supply chains, and provide shops and services for many people who can't drive to supermarkets.

2. The people who form BERATE have stated very publically that they are not opposed to a new stadium and many activley support one. Most fully support the World Cup bid and would be a pleased as anyone to see world cup matches in Bristol. A new supermarket is a very different matter, and its not BERATE that has linked them together. Take a look at the plans that were displayed at the stadium for the public. The club made the link very explicit in the presentations given to local people

3. The e-petition set up on our behalf has probably been signed by people from all over Bristol, but then thats what happens on-line. Yours will be too. By the way, ours got stuck and we contacted the council to unstick it for us- You might want to give them a bell if your seems stuck too). The written petition is only really available in shops around North Street. 4. We have not made any representation or had our petitions in Sainsburys or any other store, so the one seen must have been Ashton Vale Heritage.

5. The figure of 300 cars per hour was provided at the presentation to local people. It is not made up. This was provided as an average turnover figure needed to make this size of store profitable. Obviosuly at some times of day the figure would be higher and sometimes less, but even if thats the maximum figure for 12hrs only, it equates to an extra 25000 cars with 60 lorry visits per week. Home games take place every two weeks only during the season and there are many fewer cars than this, but we don't know how many. My kids and those of many opponents to a store go to Ashton Gate. The nearby streets already act as a ratrun to people cutting off the corner to get to Winterstoke road. When they go to Ashton Park they will need to get past the store and Winterstoke road. So currently the extra traffic is on weekends (mostly) or evenings. With a superstore the extra traffic will be when they are going to school. There will be a higher risk of traffic accidents and air quality will be worse.

6. There will be an impact on North Street shops. It has been designated "an at risk" street by the Councils City Retail analysis. This means it needs special planning policies to help it. The retail analysis also showed that shops in South Bristol, including supermarkets, currently trade at below the average per sq metre for England. This means there is not enough business and cash to go around the existing shops. Now obviously people round here shop in a mixture of supermarkets and small shops, but a new Tesco extra will take trade away from some of them and smaller shops are more vulnerable because they have lower profit margins and depend on passing trade. The Retail analysis showed that South Bristol needs no new convenience retail until 2026, even if loads of new houses are built at Long Ashton.

Finally, BERATE have never said we are opposed to new development that helps the club at Ashton Gate or contributes to a new stadium. We just want something more beneficial to the local people than a supermarket! What about the legacy of the club? Over 100 years celebrated with a supermarket. There must be better options?

Cheers

I think if Tesco dont buy Ashton Gate or any other commercial company of a similar size then Bristol City wont be able to afford to construct their new stadium, as commercial development increases the value of the land. I do not know why people are accusing Steve Lansdown of bullying the council. It is not his plans to build 10000 new homes and a bus rapid transit route from Ashton Vale to Temple Meads....I think the new stadium compliments what the council are trying to achieve in the area.

As for the Ashton Vale Heritage group I know first hand that they formed due to reasons that were related to Steve Lansdown, and I think that it is mainly the residents of Ashton Vale that oppose the ground. I do feel sorry for some residents that have lived there for fifty years. But they have to think of the wider vision......jobs and homes for their children and grandchildren.

I recently was involved in a survey of Bedminster and Ashton Vale. From my observations North Street and West Street are deprived in areas (excluding some areas) and crime levels are on the increase. So would Tesco really impact an area that is going downhill already? Could an arrangement between who the developers of the Ashton Gate and the council be made so some funds could be put into the local areas such as Bedminster?

As City fans I think we should get behind the Tesco bid because otherwise the development of the new stadium will delay and delay.......and we do not want to follow the retarded example that the otherside of the city has shown.

Archived