IGNORED

Say Yes To Tesco

Rich

Well, first of all my wife told me only yesterday the Southville Deli had closed down, so she has some serious explaining to do and in risk of all manner of punishments for making me look such a fool. Maybe it closed and re-opened?

Anyway, apart from that, the traffic argument thing, I havent mentioned that anywhere in my reply, so I havent got a clue what you're referring to.

As for alternatives to Tesco, how about:

- Housing

- Light industrial

- Retail (small units)

- Warehousing

- A mix of all of the above

Or, how about, a football stadium, now theres an idea.

Clearly BCFC will take your £1m rather than my £250k, I'm not suggesting they shouldnt, given the opportunity. However the planning laws exist to prevent everybody building exactly what they want, otherwise there would be chaos, so we shall have to see what the Planning Departments deem appropriate.

Maybe because it was a Bank Holiday !!

because people wanted to buy them, the council was prevented from spending that money on building new ones so as not to distort the private housing market

this was tory government policy

Why then if it was government policy sell them at vastly reduced prices?.

Maybe if they had asked the going rate for them we would not now be paying over the odds for our local services, and they just might be able to afford the £20m asking price.

They cant so job on.

There are many arguments against building a big shop on a piece of waste ground. For example, government anti-competition policy would I imagine be a factor, as would the desirability or otherwise of building a mixed development incorporating housing, retail, light industrial, open space, or whatever.

Effect on the environment is a factor also - in my opinion large-scale anything built in a suburban area is an eyesore.

Of course the club have to sell to the highest bidder. Local planning councils exist among other reasons to determine whether planned development is desirable and beneficial for the majority.

I havent voted yet, doubt if I will, it wont make much if any difference, but if I did it would be No to Tesco.

If that means the club cant find someone willing to pay the amount it needs, and we stay at AG, and that means we remain in Division 2, so be it. My vote, my choice.

Amen to that. This obsession with loading the club down with debt in order to build a new stadium is driving me round the bend. Why not just redevelop Ashton Gate and increase the capacity if we're that bothered about progressing to the land of false promises known as the Premier League?

Amen to that. This obsession with loading the club down with debt in order to build a new stadium is driving me round the bend. Why not just redevelop Ashton Gate and increase the capacity if we're that bothered about progressing to the land of false promises known as the Premier League?

Because it would be more expensive to redevelop Ashton Gate to the standard of the new stadium, which means the revenue streams outside of football would not be there if we redevoped, which means our club would never be as big as it could be and could even wither and die.

Now I for one would not want my kids and grand kids not to be able to have the choice of going to watch their local club and get all the enjoyment that I have over the years.

UK consumption of poultry meat has doubled over the last 20 years whereas consumption of red meat and pork has remained static.

As I said in my original post this has to be closely linked to the fact that it has become more easily available and at an affordable price. Who are the main suppliers of poultry meat?

Well we could have a look through here:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/directory/1/...ymeat-suppliers

They appear to be some of the main suppliers.

Supermarkets are retailers, acting as an outlet for the supply. I would accept that suppliers have increased production partly arising from the demand of supermarkets, although I will resist the temptation to say its a chicken and egg situation.

However, supply of almost everything has increased as disposable incomes have risen. I don't think supermarkets can claim credit for that. It is more so correlated with increases in GDP, of which supermarkets are a part only.

Cant believe I'm getting embroiled in a debate about poultry.

UK consumption of poultry meat has doubled over the last 20 years whereas consumption of red meat and pork has remained static.

As I said in my original post this has to be closely linked to the fact that it has become more easily available and at an affordable price. Who are the main suppliers of poultry meat?

A friend of mine swears he can get Chicken a lot cheaper up the market than Asda, so super markets are not always the best option.

I wish AG was being used for housing, Bristol has a shortage of affordable housing at present, everyone in the house building industry knows this. However I don't blaim City for trying to get the best price.

A friend of mine swears he can get Chicken a lot cheaper up the market than Asda, so super markets are not always the best option.

He's probably right and as Moomin will tell you you can probably get it cheaper still from other sources as well. Unfortunately markets don't happen every day or in every area whereas supermarkets are there 24/7.

Unfortunately markets don't happen every day or in every area whereas supermarkets are there 24/7.

Indeed and very fortunate therefore that Asda Bedminster is open almost 24/7 and available therefore for the minority in the area with a need or a craving for poultry in the middle of the night.

Or put it another way, how many people feel deprived or seriously inconvenienced becuase there isnt a 24/7 supermarket in Ashton Gate?

Indeed and very fortunate therefore that Asda Bedminster is open almost 24/7 and available therefore for the minority in the area with a need or a craving for poultry in the middle of the night.

Or put it another way, how many people feel deprived or seriously inconvenienced becuase there isnt a 24/7 supermarket in Ashton Gate?

Ah I see.

What you are saying is that because there is one supermarket that is open 24/7 that is OK - irrespective of the fact that people have no choice.

Ashton Gate to Asda in East Street is a fair old hike. Therefore if someone drives from Ashton Gate to Asda to satisfy their midnight chicken drumstick cravings you could bring the sustainability/carbon footprint arguments in to play.

Could all be irrelevant of course as it may be unlikely that Tesco will get permission to open 24/7 in that area.

I do. The supermarket spread must not stop until every man, woman and child in the land can buy the poultry of their choice at any one of 5 shops within half a mile of their home at 3:30 am. This is what our great-grandmothers fought for. All hail the Retail Giants of Shoppyland. Nurse!

with all the amount of non-residents voting for this e-petion following this otib thread

I'm sure the council will suspect fowl play

And that for me is the winning argument.

There are just as many non residents on the No petition, many of them gas, so it's good to balance that out so that it's easy for the planners to ignore both and concentrate on the actual real merits of the application.

I sure there are non-residents on both petitions, in fact there are a lot of north bristol supporters on the other e-petition, at least on the yes, e-petition, 99% spend a large part of the year being part of this community,and a high proportion of those come from the south of bristol, so the council will take that into account, and they will suspect fowl play on the" no to tesco" e-petition, just something for you to gobble up and digest.....

Ah I see.

What you are saying is that because there is one supermarket that is open 24/7 that is OK - irrespective of the fact that people have no choice.

Ashton Gate to Asda in East Street is a fair old hike. Therefore if someone drives from Ashton Gate to Asda to satisfy their midnight chicken drumstick cravings you could bring the sustainability/carbon footprint arguments in to play.

Could all be irrelevant of course as it may be unlikely that Tesco will get permission to open 24/7 in that area.

"Ashton Gate to Asda is a fair hike". Ha ha ha haa haaa haaaa. How many people do you know that actually walk to a 24 hour supermarket, sorry but I can't take that seriously.

If I understand you correctly, I think you are saying that it is actually quite important that the minority residents of Ashton, Bedminster and South Bristol generally should have the choice of more than one supermarket to meet their 24/7 shopping needs. I truly hope the planners are dropping in on this.

Sorry Tompo but you going to have to do better with the cabon footprint argument than that.

Ah yes I agree we live in a so-called democratic society and yet the residents of Bedminster have no choice as to where they are they puuuuuuuuurchace their 24-hour chicken.

Well thats won me over step aside South Bristol, bring on Tesco, saviours of the 24 hour poultry machine.

You are correct and Tesco may yet get their poultry ways which will only be yet more more proof of fowl play in the planning process, hope that makes all the chickens Dr Feelgood.

Your last sentence poses a question which I truly hope is answered in the negative: just why do the residents of South Bristol need another 24/7 supermarket, other than providing the means to build a football stadium fit for serving a once-in-a-lifetime world cup bid which may or not happen, and which in any case is a complete waste of time in a city so disinterested in football other than its glitz appeal?

Answers on a postcard please.

13. I'm sorry I haven't been able to highlight my response, my computer skills need improving.

I don't have the time to troll through the internet to find facts to sustantiate minor points as you seem to have.

Please don't hit me with any more meat dishes.

Rich.

Thanks Rich for taking the trouble to number my points.

13. If I read you correctly. And I think I do. You seem to concede that your ability to type into Google the words "Tesco is good for you, the environment, the community, and all your 24/7 shopping needs" is inferior to my ability to type "how many people feel the need for another 24/7 megastore in a bohemian, yet suburban, area".

Well, let the best man win, as they say.

http://www.recipe4all.com/

at least you are gobbling up facts rather than plucking them out of thin air

with all the amount of non-residents voting for this e-petion following this otib thread

I'm sure the council will suspect fowl play

Well as some may know I love my football team, and I have been here from birth, and I will be here for life.

Just like you and many others, and I believe that entitles us to more votes than the johnny-come-latelys.

When the supporters of the "Ashton Vale Tescoland Steve Lansdown SitDownStandUp(But only when we tell you) HotDogs-R-Us MegaBowl Stadium" are able to come up with some sensible 'facts', that are in fact factual, I might just be able to take them a little more seriously.

Thanks Rich for taking the trouble to number my points.

13. If I read you correctly. And I think I do. You seem to concede that your ability to type into Google the words "Tesco is good for you, the environment, the community, and all your 24/7 shopping needs" is inferior to my ability to type "how many people feel the need for another 24/7 megastore in a bohemian, yet suburban, area".

Well, let the best man win, as they say.

http://www.recipe4all.com/

Hi Nick

No Nick again you were wrong, not only in your reading but also that I conceded. I numbered my responses as I couldn't distinguish your points from your ranting.

As you well know I have conceded nothing other than to use a computer to it's full abillity.

We can all spend hours trolling the depths of the internet to find figures somewhere to substantiate

a point, I don't have the time to spend on trivialities.

Since when has Ashton been a bohemian area?

With comments like that and your collusions with the other country bumpkin from Flax Bourton

The best man has won. As you kept saying look up bohemianism on the internet it's easy to do.

Over.

Guest AJ Sylvester

The no campaign are not arguing on local or specific issues. They seem to me to be more concerned about the chain.

Has Tesco had an impact in other parts of the country? Possibly. Would a Tesco in a village make a difference to the local food shop? Probably. But we know that North Street survives despite Aldi. We know East Street survives despite Asda. We know Ashton News, a sandwich shop and an off-licence survives right on the doorstep to Sainsbury's. So how the hell will a Tesco kill off local trade? Independent shops in Bedminster, Ashton and Southville already survive and one other supermarket will not make a blind bit of difference. It would be far worse if ten new small shops opened on the site. Tesco will compete with Asda, Sainsbury's and Aldi. Not local traders.

As for traffic/location. The area is largely industrial and retail anyway with a few houses around. Point is that if there is any place in Bristol to put a supermarket this is probably it. Fantastic road links and plenty of space.

If the no campaign simply don't like Tesco then fair enough. I think it's an unfair approach but at least they'd be admitting that. There's no way anyone can try the "this is an unsuitable site" for a supermarket because it's not. It's actually a very good site.

Archived