IGNORED

East End Racist Chants - Wtf?

Martyn Hocking

Over sensitve crud.

So where do you draw the line?

When people chant 'you fat bastard' are suggesting this is out of order because all the fans in the ground that are over weight are deeply offended? Get real.

Maybe we should all link hands and sing a ring a ring of roses then we'll know for sure no one is offended.

Hay fever sufferers? :0)

I'm saying the northern chants are different because they're not so sensitive.

I'm not saying all the fans who joined the chants on Saturday are racist or thought they were. I'm saying that they can be construed that way and people should be aware of that fact. It's nothing to do with football so leave it at home, please.

This is very interesting.

I watched Frankie Boyle on Channel4 last night. He mocked people from Norwich, suggesting they had webbed feet.

Who decides that is more acceptable than anything we heard on Saturday at AG?

Surely if the powers that be say this can be broadcast on TV, then we can mock Norwich fans when they return to AG with the same suggestion?

Guest AJ Sylvester

Ah now you see YOU are the racist. Why do you think that its embarassing that there are lots of asians in Leicester????????????????

Riaz, you know I'm not being racist so why throw that in there?

I don't think anyone from Leicester should be embarrassed. I couldn't give a crap about the colour, descent or gender of the population of Leicester. I'm saying it's nothing to do with the game, it can be sensitive and should be left away from the ground.

Those songs, like most at football grounds, are aimed to get one over on the other fans. It's hardly alluding to it being a great thing or praising the city for it's multiculturalism is it?

Here we go, time for everybody to get on their moral high horse.....

This club is a total joke.....how the club continues to turn on it's own fan base, even after turning in a loss of £12m and asking 24hours a day for support towards the stadium etc etc, is just beyond me.

However, if the club firmly believe that was racist chanting, which this David chap clearly thinks it is, the club should use all if the CCTV footage, of which there is plenty given all the cameras, and arrest each and every individual on Saturday.

If the club are not prepared to take such action then people closely associated with the club who are writing in the public domain should in my opinion be told to refrain from making such comments......either raise it as a serious issue and do something about it, or simple don't mention it.

However, if the club firmly believe that was racist chanting, which this David chap clearly thinks it is, the club should use all if the CCTV footage, of which there is plenty given all the cameras, and arrest each and every individual on Saturday.

I have to agree with you on this.

Surely you have to say nothing or act on it. Is there really anything in between?

Guest AJ Sylvester

This is very interesting.

I watched Frankie Boyle on Channel4 last night. He mocked people from Norwich, suggesting they had webbed feet.

Who decides that is more acceptable than anything we heard on Saturday at AG?

Are you aware of many people from Norwich who have their nationality questioned due to them not being properly English? Did Frankie Boyle follow up with "Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land" because most people in England don't have webbed feet? Aware of any violent clashes between the webbed feet people of Norwich and the normal people of England who have turned up in buses into their towns waving England flags?

Who decides that chanting about Asian populations is ok but the bananas reference isn't? Fine lines isn't it.

Are you aware of many people from Norwich who have their nationality questioned due to them not being properly English? Did Frankie Boyle follow up with "Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land" because most people in England don't have webbed feet? Aware of any violent clashes between the webbed feet people of Norwich and the normal people of England who have turned up in buses into their towns waving England flags?

Who decides that chanting about Asian populations is ok but the bananas reference isn't? Fine lines isn't it.

You didn't answer the question.

My question had nothing to do with the national 'integrity' of the Norwich people.

What I am saying is Norwich people may be offended by being mocked on TV, yet this is deemed acceptable.

I don't think its fine lines at all. It seems mocking Western European countries is fine. Anyone else we will upset (or we think they will be). Regional mocking is fine too.

Aware of any violent clashes between the webbed feet people of Norwich and the normal people of England who have turned up in buses into their towns waving England flags?

:fastasleep:

Your on the wind-up or just pure deluded and have no grasp on real life.

BTW I found the above quite funny and could maybe make a good film from that starring Simon Pegg.

Riaz, you know I'm not being racist so why throw that in there?

I don't think anyone from Leicester should be embarrassed. I couldn't give a crap about the colour, descent or gender of the population of Leicester. I'm saying it's nothing to do with the game, it can be sensitive and should be left away from the ground.

Those songs, like most at football grounds, are aimed to get one over on the other fans. It's hardly alluding to it being a great thing or praising the city for it's multiculturalism is it?

I was playing devils advocate. Its only sensitive to people who are sensitive to it.

You see this is a nothing issue. Racism to me is where a person feels intimidated, physically under threat or someone who suffers actual violence.

Pretty sure none of the asian leicester fans would have felt any of those, do yo?

I really don't see the issue here, PC gone mad! I would imagine Leicester have that thrown at them at every game, like we do with the Welsh tag - get over it ffs!

Is it more offensive than the bonfire song? I heard far worse things when I started going down the Gate (mid to late 80's), racism was rife, and Leicester would have had far worse sung at them during those dark days, I'm sure. If it was a massive deal then no doubt Leicester fans would have been on here having a pop at us about it, I think their silence says a lot

Slowly, but surely, the fun is going out of football, one of the reasons I don't go that often anymore. Christ, fart at half time and you'll be thrown out before long.

You see this is a nothing issue. Racism to me is where a person feels intimidated, physically under threat or someone who suffers actual violence.

Pretty sure none of the asian leicester fans would have felt any of those, do yo?

Good reply again.

A similarity exists within the test which schools adopt to determine whether bullying is taking place - if the individual's perception is that he has been bullied, then no matter what anyone else thinks, he/she has been bullied.

Back to Asian Leicester fans, because its what they think that matters, not us:

Have Leicester complained to City?

Have any Leicester fans been on here complaining?

Is there any mention on their forums of racist behaviour?

No, no and no I believe.

So there doesn't seem to be much evidence of racism.

Really??

If you come from Cardiff/Swansea then somone chanting about you coming from Wales is factual.

If you were born and bred in Leicester and someone is singing about you being 'asian' that is not teh same thing at all IMO.

Rubbish! my son was born in Wales - dare you to look him in the face and call him Welsh!!

Good reply again.

A similarity exists within the test which schools adopt to determine whether bullying is taking place - if the individual's perception is that he has been bullied, then no matter what anyone else thinks, he/she has been bullied.

No, no and no I believe.

Taken from the Foxes forum http://www.foxestalk...ic=69335&st=180 POST 191

"Can't believe how racist the Bristol fans were being yesterday to be honest.

Chants along the lines of:

'**** off back home, **** off back home, Leicester smells of curry, **** off back home'

and

'Where is your poppadom?'"

Exactly - winding people up about such a sensitive subject is wrong.

I would suggest you're following the wrong sport then.

To me, chants at football are exactley about this. Alright, i agree there is line that shouldn't be crossed, but the east end came no where near it.

I thought the 'Naan Bread' chant was hilarious as it was so stupid and pointless! Me and mates were still laughing about it on the way home. What exactley about Naan Bread? Do we want some, do they have some, do you make it? Who knows, just a chant of Naan Bread. I was chating to a Leicester fan outside and he thought it was very funny. He took it in the ridiculus manner it was meant in.

The small town in Asia thing was a response to the small town in Wales bit. I thought at the time, 'uh oh, the holier than thou brigade will be all over this'. It happened once in response to them, wasn't even that loud and people in the main know it's a bit ridiculous.

I would not consider anything that was sung on Saturday to be racist in anyway what so ever. A needless and over the top observation by Dave.

(Ummmm shall i add my best friend is black just to quantify that i'm not a racist?)

Guest AJ Sylvester

You didn't answer the question.

My question had nothing to do with the national 'integrity' of the Norwich people.

What I am saying is Norwich people may be offended by being mocked on TV, yet this is deemed acceptable.

I don't think its fine lines at all. It seems mocking Western European countries is fine. Anyone else we will upset (or we think they will be). Regional mocking is fine too.

Mocking people in general isn't necessarily a bad thing. But on a sensitive issue, in such a clumsy way to a mass of people you don't know is.

'**** off back home, **** off back home, Leicester smells of curry, **** off back home'

and

Don't remember any of the F off back home stuff, apart from the obligatory 'F off back to Leicestershire'. This is however sung to everyone.

And if your being factually correct, it was 'Can we have a poppadom?' A back handed compliment based on our love of Asian snacks.

Guest AJ Sylvester

I really don't see the issue here, PC gone mad! I would imagine Leicester have that thrown at them at every game, like we do with the Welsh tag - get over it ffs!

Is it more offensive than the bonfire song? I heard far worse things when I started going down the Gate (mid to late 80's), racism was rife, and Leicester would have had far worse sung at them during those dark days, I'm sure. If it was a massive deal then no doubt Leicester fans would have been on here having a pop at us about it, I think their silence says a lot

Slowly, but surely, the fun is going out of football, one of the reasons I don't go that often anymore. Christ, fart at half time and you'll be thrown out before long.

Yeah, the fun is going out of football. I long for those days when I could sing what I want about who I wanted with no come back on me at all. I hate change. Singing clumsy songs about the race of people in another city is the only reason I go to football. Passing comment on Asian communities is the same as letting out a little parp.

Guest AJ Sylvester

I was playing devils advocate. Its only sensitive to people who are sensitive to it.

Riaz, I couldn't answer that. There are a couple of thousand of them.

If there was a Dad and kids in either stand who felt people were making comment on their race and felt uncomfortable because of it would you feel that's ok?

How about you walked into a house party with people you didn't know and the first person said "hello. Where's your popadom?" followed by another comments suggesting you weren't English - would you sit down at that party and think to yourself 'what a welcoming bunch. I feel well at home here'?

Guest AJ Sylvester

Any complaints from Leicester fans officialy?, i bet they get it every week the same for Bradford, Oldham ETC, Middlesboro fans we sing shit town in Scotland i can go on and on its not racist in one bit. Its banter between fans. Over reaction imo Dave.

With Boro you're making reference to the town being close to a border, not the ethnic make up of the city. It's subtle but it is different.

Guest AJ Sylvester

Good reply again.

No, no and no I believe.

Yes

and

One post out of almost 200, although you are correct.

Nevertheless is it racist? Only if the guy that wrote it is Asian, and there is no indication either way - in all probability, not.

Don't remember any of the F off back home stuff, apart from the obligatory 'F off back to Leicestershire'. This is however sung to everyone.

And if your being factually correct, it was 'Can we have a poppadom?' A back handed compliment based on our love of Asian snacks.

ll

mmm, poppadoms, making i feel proper hungry, next time im at a an away game in the Midlands/London and get called a farmer i will write to Dave and ask him to highlight this because its racist in my book, what a laugh.

mmm, poppadoms, making i feel proper hungry, next time im at a an away game in the Midlands/London and get called a farmer i will write to Dave and ask him to highlight this because its racist in my book, what a laugh. (Sorry double post laptop playing up)

Archived