IGNORED

East End Racist Chants - Wtf?

Martyn Hocking

Thats already been explained very eloquently by AJSylvester. No need for me explain it again.

I know that you see it differently and thats fair enough.

I will say this - working in the NHS virtually all my working life the slightest hint of racism was severely dealt with. If I had asked one of the many Asian staff I worked with 'where's your poppadom?' in any tone I would have been in deep shite.

In a case conference once I described a patient of mine as 'the black sheep of the family'. I was immediately reprimanded by the case co-ordinator. He said such phrases were unacceptable. Over sensative maybe but but it made me very aware.

Everything wrong with this country in a nut shell.

Surely Riaz's voice is the most relevant in this particular argument being of Asian dissent, and he's made it quite clear it's not even remotely offensive.

I'm sure that Riaz will agree that he's not the voice of the Asian population of Bristol, never mind Leicester.

I'm sure that Riaz will agree that he's not the voice of the Asian population of Bristol, never mind Leicester.

Still the most reliable source on this thread that it's not offensive. And he shares the view of most on here. I don't think I suggested he was the voice of asians, just the only asian (we know of) on this thread.

I work in wales, i find remarks such as wurzels and comments about tractors offensive, if i bought it to the attention to HR would anything happen. No.

Now, if there was a asian man working there, they starting calling him "paki" and asking where is his turban, and that was bought to the attention of HR, something would happen.

Where does the line get drawn?

What is the difference between racism and having a laugh?

There are some welsh people who genuinely hate the english, now is that racism? Or just a bit of fun, i know what i think it is.

Jesus! mary! H, dear oh dear.....

Any one listened to black (dare i say black?) hip hop - rap - r&b music being chucked out on the airwaves and sold in music stores for personal gain for years?? makes this thread look very silly regarding racism, crime, guns, sexisam, drugs you name it it's in the lyrics but there is no wurzels with pitch forks demanding hmv to remove such material??? you see other creeds and colours have embraced such so called offensive words like THE N WORD and now use it to their own advantage and personal gain and the fact they use the word to greet each other, it seems the only people who have a problem is white people (am i allowed to say white?) now i was a hip hop - rap r&b dj in bristol for 5 years and the music i played when first started had me peeping over the booth waiting for the bottles to come flying (they didn't) as the lyrical content was full of much worse than the word poppadoms but it's accepted in their music culture now and has been for the past 16 odd years, i do know a fair few black people would piss themselfs laughing at all this...

Blimey, 2pac, snoop dog, N.O.R.E hang your heads in shame for making me sing along to your music using the N-word :doh:

Oh and there is a weslsh defence league who has had a demo in cardiff :yes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10243297

Should I find what milwall fans sing about city offence.......

"i can't read, I can't write but I can drive a tractor I'm a Bristol city fan and I'm a fncking wauker"

No I don't I found it a funny chant. I can't remember how the naan bread went chant but that was funny aswell.

I'm friends with Riaz and he calls me a English b@st@rd should I report him to the police? No because I don't find neither offence

This club & country sometimes really get on my tits

Jesus! mary! H, dear oh dear.....

Any one listened to black (dare i say black?) hip hop - rap - r&b music being chucked out on the airwaves and sold in music stores for personal gain for years?? makes this thread look very silly regarding racism, crime, guns, sexisam, drugs you name it it's in the lyrics but there is no wurzels with pitch forks demanding hmv to remove such material??? you see other creeds and colours have embraced such so called offensive words like THE N WORD and now use it to their own advantage and personal gain and the fact they use the word to greet each other, it seems the only people who have a problem is white people (am i allowed to say white?) now i was a hip hop - rap r&b dj in bristol for 5 years and the music i played when first started had me peeping over the booth waiting for the bottles to come flying (they didn't) as the lyrical content was full of much worse than the word poppadoms but it's accepted in their music culture now and has been for the past 16 odd years, i do know a fair few black people would piss themselfs laughing at all this...

Blimey, 2pac, snoop dog, N.O.R.E hang your heads in shame for making me sing along to your music using the N-word :doh:

Oh and there is a weslsh defence league who has had a demo in cardiff :yes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10243297

Exactly Sean.

Just a bunch of youngs unnes aving a good laugh. Let umme be

Sick to the back teeth of the word racism, the only ppl who get annoyed at so say racist remarks are do gooder white ppl, and Asians who play it as a trump card.

Why dont ppl just get a life, hell how many times do the Germans French Dutch Scots Welsh etc etc etc sing about the English.

This damn racist malarky has got well well out of hand

Sick to the back teeth of the word racism, the only ppl who get annoyed at so say racist remarks are do gooder white ppl, and Asians who play it as a trump card.

Why dont ppl just get a life, hell how many times do the Germans French Dutch Scots Welsh etc etc etc sing about the English.

hi mate, not to get off track but i go to a lot of football in germany and have never once heard a single chant about the english. what i have heard, at lower league games in the east, is constant use of the "n" word and monkey noises. if we define that as racism, then what we are talking about here is clearly not in the same league.

however, anyone who was chanting that song...would you go up to an asian looking person in the street and ask for a poppadom because you think its funny? would you sing the naan bread song when, say, s****horpe are in town? because its funny, and not based on the racial make up of the opposition fans?

i think dave l. has made a bit of a storm in a tea cup here because unless anyone really complains then its a non-issue. leicester fans must hear worse. sure, there are EDL members in the east end, i think we can all agree on that. you probably have to expect to hear comments like that. i play football in germany a lot and get a lot of banter about my nationality. after they did us 4-1 in the world cup i wore my england shirt the next week, i knew it was coming, but i also know how to recognise what is a joke and banter, as opposed to actual direct racism. refusing someone entry to the ground because they look asian is racist, singing a song about indian food is probably just ill-advised banter

Well put, playing right into there hands, winds me right up. Like i said earlier next time im called a farmer at anyway ground im writing to Dave about it and i expect an e-mail saying i have had racist abuse thrown at me. (Obviously i wont but what is this world coming too.)

I read two pages and had to post.

Right talk about over the top reaction. Its no different to the Welsh songs we sing when we play Cardiff and Swansea. Now i take my little girl down the gate and she was born in Wales and we take NO OFFENCE to it. FFS some people need to get a life.

Lets take a visit to Pakistan wearing our christian crosses around our necks, then we will find out what racism is all about!

Nail on head Mr Gow! Maybe they'd let us wear them whilst building a church in downtown Kashmir........no, thought not!

The fact is, we're soft as sh1te over here, for fear of offending people, yet bend over and take one at the earliest opportunity abroad.

I even heard Nasser Hussain give an interview the other day having a laugh about his decision to bat at the Gabba the other year, he's having a laugh about it whilst the Aussies are ripping it out of him - stand up for yourself man. Does my head in, just too darned polite at times

Thats already been explained very eloquently by AJSylvester. No need for me explain it again.

I know that you see it differently and thats fair enough.

I will say this - working in the NHS virtually all my working life the slightest hint of racism was severely dealt with. If I had asked one of the many Asian staff I worked with 'where's your poppadom?' in any tone I would have been in deep shite.

In a case conference once I described a patient of mine as 'the black sheep of the family'. I was immediately reprimanded by the case co-ordinator. He said such phrases were unacceptable. Over sensative maybe but but it made me very aware.

My mother works for the NHS - the way they deal with racism is crazy - suspending people for weeks on end for being accused....... the accused person had mixed raced children!!

so I dont think using the NHS is a good example.

It does make me laugh how white/english people are always telling me what is racism - bet you've never experienced racism either!

Whether you agree or not 'where's your poppadum' and 'small town in Asia' is a racist chant. End of.

Not often I find myself 100% in agreement with Robbo, but I do here. The apologists on this thread serve to remind me of the stuff some City fans used to chant at Palace and other teams with black players in the 70s/ early 80s. The Leicester stuff sounds a lot milder but it's just plain wrong IMO.

the only ppl who get annoyed at so say racist remarks are do gooder white ppl, and Asians who play it as a trump card

That is why it annoys me so much - people making a big deal over little things like this - because when racism really happens, the immediate reaction is "oh look there using the race card again"

Riaz, I couldn't answer that. There are a couple of thousand of them.

If there was a Dad and kids in either stand who felt people were making comment on their race and felt uncomfortable because of it would you feel that's ok?

How about you walked into a house party with people you didn't know and the first person said "hello. Where's your popadom?" followed by another comments suggesting you weren't English - would you sit down at that party and think to yourself 'what a welcoming bunch. I feel well at home here'?

I'd assume i was supposed to bring a gift.

Found all 4 minutes of it here on Youtube.................

Make what you want of it but for me its only good banter!!! If you think this is bad then you should have been about in the 80,s!!! Jesus!!!!

Good point, you could also include the early 90's. I watched us at Filbert Street 93 or 94 and some of the chants directed at the Leicester fans on that day were most definatly racist, likewise at Stoke in the same season. Im sure it used to happen alot and the Police didnt seem to care, perhaps it shows how far football has come in the last 20 years that these chants are being debated at great length.

Imo it does sound more like banter than actual racism, perhaps slightly ill judged but certainly not in the same league as the chants from the early 90's

Guest AJ Sylvester

You are wrong, so very wrong. By most definitions I am middle-class and overall wouldnt want to change that so why would I have a chip about it.

But that doesnt mean I wouldnt stand up for anyone that I consider to be victimized. In this case, as Gamon has perceptively highlighted, its ironically the "EastEnd hoolies".

In this instance it is apparent, from an objective defintion of racism, and from the evidence, that there was no racism.

This isn't having a go at "EastEnd hoolies" - no-one's called them hoolies and the only reason the EastEnd was brought into it is that that's the stand the chants came from.

I love the East End. I love the colour, the noise, the passion, the support for the team. The ethnicity of Leicester, however, has nothing to do with supporting our team. As I said, if you want to debate it and make jokes about it - please don't do it in such a clumsy way at a football ground.

Quite right. On behalf of our welsh friends, anyone who implies that sheep are somehow bad should be stoned to death.

This isn't having a go at "EastEnd hoolies" - no-one's called them hoolies and the only reason the EastEnd was brought into it is that that's the stand the chants came from.

I love the East End. I love the colour, the noise, the passion, the support for the team. The ethnicity of Leicester, however, has nothing to do with supporting our team. As I said, if you want to debate it and make jokes about it - please don't do it in such a clumsy way at a football ground.

Guest AJ Sylvester

If you are asking me personally, from past actions I can say no, I wouldnt allow somebody to be bullied without stepping in.

But you are asking the wrong question....

.....I have surmised that no Asian Leicester fan has considered themselves to a victim of racism, the evidence suggests that is a correct assumption, therefore there is no need to intervene.

But here's the problem mate, it is, as you've said an assumption. You've surmised. You don't know.

I too imagine that most Leicester fans weren't Asian and that of those many wouldn't have taken offense. But there's 2000 odd fans in that stand and if by chanting that you have offended just a few, you have without realising it racially abused them. You may not have intended it, you may not have realised it but you would have directed a reference about their race at them which has offended them.

If ONE young Asian lad or lass went home after that game feeling upset and angry that his race had been brought up as a marker again - can you justify that chant for the cheap giggles you got from it?

Football is about being inclusive. Race, gender, age and class don't matter - that's the glory. So why spoil it by marking groups out by their colour or descent?

Archived