IGNORED

East End Racist Chants - Wtf?

Martyn Hocking

Guest AJ Sylvester

I'm struggling to see why you're labouring the point mate. I appreciate you took exception to some of the chants on Saturday, but i honestly feel you are looking for something that just wasn't there.

I personally can't abide racist behaviour and in my time following football i have had to listen to some ridiculous stuff, not chanting, but general conversation in pubs or on coaches etc. I tend to bite my tongue with the older lot as you aren't going to change them, and saying anything just makes you look like a dick. You can call me a coward and thats fine. The younger lot i genuinely do try to engage with and ask why they think like they do and say what they say. It always amazes me how much 'Immigrants' are to blame for things, but not the government we actually vote into power, crazy.

I respect your position, but truthfully you are needlessly trying to make out that City in some way acted in a racist way on Saturday and that wasn't the case. The topic may be subjective, but i did not feel embarrassed by anything that occurred on Saturday.

As you said you do hear far worse. But by accepting this marking you're allowing those muppets who want to be controversial and say worse stuff to get away with it. Teenagers in the stands can grow up believing it's acceptable to single out Asian communities (or others) as being different. That get's interpretted the wrong way (and if nothing else in this thread you know that people do see these things differently) then it can lead to worse.

Who cares!! This thread is pointless! 90% of football fans go to matches and mouth off, f-ing and blinding at players.managers,referees and away fans! Regardless of their race, colour, religion or anything! Does anyone ever feel bad about it? Do you think these people are offended?

The chants that go around all football grounds are un-believable at times! Look at Rangers and Celtic! it part of the territory of going to football matches! The language and things that are said are completely different to real life! How come police officers don't arrest people for abusive language at a football grounds that they would on the street? Its because football is a controlled environment where fans pretty much say what they want when they want because they have paid their money!

Look at the abuse Holloway has suffered over the years, thats worse than racism thats pure hatred!

Lets face it if you don't like it don't go, I was in the Eastend saturday it was banter because of the amount of Asian's that "so say" live in that City. Its no worse than what people sing about us, what we sing about Trollopes mother or rovers as a club. Its all abuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As with anything these things get out of hand go to a stweard about it!

I am sick of hearing about racism, the UK is probably the most tolerant country in the world!! We are in the middle of a recession I just want to go and watch my football on a saturday without PC brigade jumping up as soon as a so say "anti-asian" chant comes up.

Racism shouldn't be tolerated under any circumstance, I just don't truly believe people were NOT out to offend the Asian community Saturday!

Football supporters dislike any club/supporters that isn't their's regardless of race, location ,accent, whatever!

If ONE young Asian lad or lass went home after that game feeling upset and angry that his race had been brought up as a marker again - can you justify that chant for the cheap giggles you got from it?

Are you still banging on about this non event!

If ANYONE went home upset after Saturday Id suggest they should man up and get a grip.

Why are you so bothered by City fans singing about poppadoms?

Who cares!! This thread is pointless! 90% of football fans go to matches and mouth off, f-ing and blinding at players,managers,referees and away fans! Regardless of their race, colour, religion or anything! Does anyone ever feel bad about it? Do you think these people are offended?

The chants that go around all football grounds are un-believable at times! Look at Rangers and Celtic! its part of the territory of going to football matches! The language and things that are said are completely different to real life! How come police officers don't arrest people for abusive language at a football grounds that they would on the street? Its because football is a controlled environment where fans pretty much say what they want when they want because they have paid their money!

Look at the abuse Holloway has suffered over the years, thats worse than racism thats pure hatred!

Lets face it if you don't like it don't go, I was in the Eastend saturday it was banter because of the amount of Asian's that "so say" live in that City. Its no worse than what people sing about us, what we sing about Trollopes mother or rovers as a club. Its all abuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As with anything these things get out of hand go to a stweard about it!

I am sick of hearing about racism, the UK is probably the most tolerant country in the world!! We are in the middle of a recession I just want to go and watch my football on a saturday without PC brigade jumping up as soon as a so say "anti-asian" chant comes up.

Racism shouldn't be tolerated under any circumstance, I just don't truly believe people were NOT out to offend the Asian community Saturday!

Football supporters dislike any club/supporters that isn't their's regardless of race, location ,accent, whatever!

Guest AJ Sylvester

I dont like being called Welsh or a Carrot Cruncher!!! Am i suffering racist abuse? Do I need to inform the police?

No because neither is racist.

If the Welsh were a minority within England who had a political party established in the country with the aim of sending all Welsh people back to Wales and groups marching on Bristol to participate in often violent anti-Welsh marches then things would be different.

Sometimes you just despair at the PC brigade.

They're beginning to alienate the moderate majority - let them get on with it.

Come the revolution and we'll then be able to start addressing important issues such as population control, habitat destruction and animal cruelty... without concern about offending religious/race sensibilities.

Seems to me as though this thread raises a number of topics:

On one hand some think its acceptable to refer to something as pathetic as Leicester being part of Asia as being racist. Some think the same of questions about Indian cuisine.

Some link that to throwing bananas and presumably making monkey noises at presumably black players.

Some seem to think that it's PC gone mad and that as long as words like "paki" or "*Racist Term Removed" aren't used then its acceptable.

Some think that if someone who represents the club "blogs" it - why do people do blogs, tweet or join Face Book? - then the club needs to do something or shut up about it.

What I'd like to know as I'm lead in the bath is what all those were doing this afternoon when they were replying to this? Was it waiting for Deal or no Deal? Waiting for your mammies to tell you tea was ready? Or job seeking?

I saw Frankie Boyle last night and thought he was superb. Made ethnic and cultural jokes galore. Difference was the intent.

If you use language or actions with the intent to cause offence then you deserve all that comes your way. If you do so out of ignorance and as some poor excuse of humour you deserve pity.

I'm sorry, but how people have simply blown over the allegations from the Leicester forum that some people sang "**** off home, **** off home, Leicester smells of curry, so **** off home" or however it was worded is somewhat disgusting.

I agree with most that "small town in asia" is not racist, especially when in responce to "small town in wales" if you cant take it, dont dish it springs to mind. but, the above chant is absolutely 100% racist.

and NickJ, you have absolutely no indication as to the race, gender or nationality of the poster who made these accusations, so your flippant dismisal of these allegations is wrong. you cannot use your criteria for what is racist and then have absolutely no proof oneway or the other to back up your claim/dismisal!

I usually agree with you, and enjoy your researched and well thought out opinions, but today I think you are wrong to not even acknowledge the accusation from said Leicester fan.

Just reading this again.

Interesting that someone considers that "paki" is acceptable and yet the N word that I typed in full has been replaced with "racist term removed".

And there we have it. What one considers to be racist - and I consider both to be - others take a different view. And then we have intent and context.

The use of either is often prefaced with the F word and can be followed with hate and venom.

Taking it to a different level of debate, or getting to the nub of it.

Or am I simply a black sheep waiting for Lord Sugar to come on?

Guest AJ Sylvester

Everything wrong with this country in a nut shell.

Yeah clearly. People trying to eradicate racism and daft stereotypes about Asians is everything wrong about this country. People trying to bring a level of respect between everyone ruin this world.

Job cuts, crime rates and the environment are nothing compared to those nasty people won't let me say anything I want to.

So if you really think that's everything wrong with this country in a nut shell then you probably don't consider many issues at length.

Personally am not sure that the chants quoted are seriously racist although one man's take is different to anothers. One thing has always confused me about our more vocal supporters - why do people spend so much time abusing the opposition instead of supporting their own team? This sort of low-brow tribalism doesn't happen to anything like the same degree in other sports - why football?

Guest AJ Sylvester

Sometimes you just despair at the PC brigade.

They're beginning to alienate the moderate majority - let them get on with it.

Come the revolution and we'll then be able to start addressing important issues such as population control, habitat destruction and animal cruelty... without concern about offending religious/race sensibilities.

Actually if it wasn't for those muppets singing "England" alongside "small town in Asia", "naan bread etc" or any of the other numerous songs about Asians in Leicester then I would be able to wave my England flag all the time with no fear of being labelled racist.

It's those idiots that use the term "England" and the flag to mark themselves out as different to Asians that mean we have fewer England flags out.

But here's the problem mate, it is, as you've said an assumption. You've surmised. You don't know.

But you've only repeated half of what I said, which was:

.....I have surmised that no Asian Leicester fan has considered themselves to a victim of racism, the evidence suggests that is a correct assumption, therefore there is no need to intervene.

To make it clear I:

1. Made an assumption.

2. Tested the assumption from the available evidence.

3. Drew a conclusion from the evidence.

The evidence suggests I am right but you are so entrenched in your view that you dont want to see it.

The PC brigade will ban you waving the English flag so you won't need to worry. In some parts of the country they've already banned Xmas festivities for fear of upsetting other races and religions.

As I was saying this country has gone mad.... but I suspect we're reaching the tipping point.

Disagree completely Riaz. You may not find them offensive but plenty of people can and do.

"Small town in Asia" is clearly aimed to mock the Asian population of Leicester.

Chants of "Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land" are clearly implying that Asian people aren't English and that somehow being white makes you more English than Asian people.

According to Leicester forums there were also chants of "where's your popadom" - which goes without saying.

I know not everyone gets offended by it but plenty of people do. A lot of Asian fans of both clubs could have heard that and felt unwelcome. Those chants were aimed to mock/insult otherwise they wouldn't have been sung and I know enough people who would have been pretty upset to hear them had they been there. Are we really trying to make people feel unwelcome here!?! I hope not.

Finally, to those of us like myself who love to wave the England flag - it's THOSE chants of "Eng-er-land" that make it difficult for us to wave the flag or celebrate St George's day. Don't go blaming "the PC brigade" for it - it's precisely those people who link the flag and the word "England" to being white and exclusive of Asian (or black) who are to blame.

So if you want to chant "Eng-er-land" at Leicester fans to imply white people are English and then turn round in upset at the fact that people fear the chant or the flag then you only have yourself to blame.

**** me someone needs to chill out this pc shit is getting stupid. They should play repeats of love thy neighbour now there's racism for you and everyone including black people (oh sorry am i aloud to write that) laughed at it. It's people like you that get nativity plays cancelled ****.

**** me someone needs to chill out this pc shit is getting stupid. They should play repeats of love thy neighbour now there's racism for you and everyone including black people (oh sorry am i aloud to write that) laughed at it. It's people like you that get nativity plays cancelled ****.

...or perhaps recall the despicable racist chants coming from the entire EE, 20 or so years ago....evil.

What happend last saturday wasnt racism, but banter and chiding with impressive helpings of irony.

So, let's get to some sort of conclusion purely from a fans perspective....what are we allowed to sing and what arn't we allowed to sing....,are we allowed to sing?

Perhaps specific examples could be used by those who respond....cause l am totally confused at what is and what is not racist?

Could the club or supporters trust issue guidelines?.....goodness knows we don't want to offend anybody at AG.....perhaps issue acceptable song sheets?

Also, is there any truth that BCFC fans are going to be asked to refrain from wearing team shirts, colours etc, to avoid upsetting any Chelsea or Man Utd fans that live in BS3?

For God's sake, of course it's racist; let me take you through it slowly:

1. Those aiming chants at the Leicester fans were trying to wind them up by insulting them. There's nothing wrong with that, but ...

2. The way in which they chose to insult them was by making reference to the large Asian community in Leicester.

3. As it was clearly meant to be an insult (see point 1) there was an implicit message that having a large Asian community was, in itself, a bad thing.

4. Thinking that having a large Asian community is a bad thing is inevitably racist.

I really can't see how anyone who is remotely honest or thoughtful could possibly argue otherwise.

Guest AJ Sylvester

But you've only repeated half of what I said, which was:

.....I have surmised that no Asian Leicester fan has considered themselves to a victim of racism, the evidence suggests that is a correct assumption, therefore there is no need to intervene.

To make it clear I:

1. Made an assumption.

2. Tested the assumption from the available evidence.

3. Drew a conclusion from the evidence.

The evidence suggests I am right but you are so entrenched in your view that you dont want to see it.

Not at all. I'm saying that you can't speak for the 2,000 odd Leicester fans based on the fact that no Leicester fan has come on this forum has said they were offended by it. There are no Leicester fans on this forum that I can tell and we have a few hundred members.

Point being that shouting out such things that are heard by 14,000 plus people is clumsy because you don't know who will hear it and you don't know whether they will take offence at it.

Look, you may be able to get away with those things in private with good mates but you need to be very careful how you say it and who to. Chanting en mass at a football grouns is not careful.

Archived