IGNORED

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee.......match Thread.

myol'man

I was at our Queens Coronation.

I was 10 at the time and went by coach with our church group. I actually managed to get lost and nobody claimed me for 2 hours. I did alright, I was kept on a temporary stage, given a cardboard periscope and fed a constant supply of sweets.

I was rather upset when I was found and had to go home to Southmead.

Two politicians in the family have met most of the Royals and their local residence is now Royal Wootton Bassett. That was due to the honor and ceremony given to our Afghanistan war dead via Lyneham.

A lot of the Royal presence and civic duties go unnoticed and without a Royal Family and history, our huge tourism industry with the thousands of jobs involved would be sadly lacking.

Any suggestion that the royal family is great for tourism is nothing more than spin from their PR department. There is absolutely no evidence to back this up.

According to Republic 'Of the top 20 tourist attractions in the UK only one royal residence makes it: Windsor Castle at number 17 (beaten comfortably by Windsor Legoland, in at number 7). Royal residences account for less than 1% of total tourist revenue. Indeed, the success of the Tower of London (number 6 in the list) suggests that tourism would benefit if Buckingham Palace and Windsor castle were vacated by the Windsor family'.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anybody would support the notion that having an unelected head of state, based purely on the grounds of hereditary priveledge is a good idea?

I was at our Queens Coronation.

I was 10 at the time and went by coach with our church group. I actually managed to get lost and nobody claimed me for 2 hours. I did alright, I was kept on a temporary stage, given a cardboard periscope and fed a constant supply of sweets.

I was rather upset when I was found and had to go home to Southmead.

Two politicians in the family have met most of the Royals and their local residence is now Royal Wootton Bassett. That was due to the honor and ceremony given to our Afghanistan war dead via Lyneham.

A lot of the Royal presence and civic duties go unnoticed and without a Royal Family and history, our huge tourism industry with the thousands of jobs involved would be sadly lacking.

Our history will always be there, as for tourists they will still come, as they do to Australia, U.S.A, France,Italy etc,etc, The royals should be cutting back more, flog some off the palaces, Castles, land and general ott stuff that goes with it. Isnt Buck House enough? they just have too much, when so many have so little.

Policing millions for the parade, float by etc who picks up the bill? Policing for L Carey testimonial who picks up the bill; one rule for the rich another for the poor i.m.o.

I think you will find, the billions of pounds generated every single year by the royal family and the queen out weighs the millions spent by this celebration. It really annoys me when people say about the money wasted by the queen. Would you rather president Cameron and president clegg? No thanks

At least they would of been elected; the royals should be tightening there belts as all of us have to; not splashing somebody elses cash on way ott celebs.

I am quite happy with royalty. Yes maybe expensive. But they are pretty unobtrusive. They bring people and money into this country from visitors, not just visiting sites, but putting money into the country through taxed goods, hotel stays, travel etc.

They also serve our country, unlike many who bitch and moan about them. Many in areas of conflict around the world.

I have a little less time for the lesser royals, but they are all part of the family. The amount they cost us far out weigh the money they being into the country.

Better a monarchy than a republic, its not as if they are enforcing their will on us!

I am quite happy with royalty. Yes maybe expensive. But they are pretty unobtrusive. They bring people and money into this country from visitors, not just visiting sites, but putting money into the country through taxed goods, hotel stays, travel etc.

They also serve our country, unlike many who bitch and moan about them. Many in areas of conflict around the world.

I have a little less time for the lesser royals, but they are all part of the family. The amount they cost us far out weigh the money they being into the country.

Better a monarchy than a republic, its not as if they are enforcing their will on us!

You are quite right TRL.

The Royal Family may not be elected, but then they are not expected to make decisions about how this country is run.

Regrettably, the same does not apply to the unelected old farts of the judiciary and the C.P.S. These people are supposed to make decisions for the better of this country and it's people. However, they continually drag their feet over decision making, and usually come up with some stupid decision that neither favours this country or it's people !!

You are quite right TRL.

The Royal Family may not be elected, but then they are not expected to make decisions about how this country is run.

Regrettably, the same does not apply to the unelected old farts of the judiciary and the C.P.S. These people are supposed to make decisions for the better of this country and it's people. However, they continually drag their feet over decision making, and usually come up with some stupid decision that neither favours this country or it's people !!

Quite agree, royal family have the money not to worry about corruption, unlike those who hold a lot of power, and make huge decisions, that on the face of it is to line their own pockets or interests, rather than the greater interest of the country.

The royals, from everyrhing I have seen, do things for this country.

Whilst i struggle every month with money i cant help but think that one perfectly targeted high jacking could solve all my problems thanks to CASH4GOLD.

state_coach.jpg

Hang the lot.

For those that think they generate money in tourism i think you would find selling of their land and property and jewels would cover our loses for long enough.

Whilst i struggle every month with money i cant help but think that one perfectly targeted high jacking could solve all my problems thanks to CASH4GOLD.

state_coach.jpg

Hang the lot.

For those that think they generate money in tourism i think you would find selling of their land and property and jewels would cover our loses for long enough.

How could you possibly say that? She's the queen of our beautiful country! I personally think its great. It makes the yanks sick as pigs as we have history and they do not. LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

state_coach.jpg

Hang the lot.

Rather hang you if your answer in life to money problems is to steal and sell on others property.

Unfortunately, due to a high security detail, my plan - serious in all its nature - has been scuppered.

My country is England and the Queen is a German anyway.

Germanic decendants came from Elizabeth Stuart, who was half English half French. Past that my knowledge gets hazy. So I expect German is only a tiny part of the lineage

They bring an extra bank holiday which I am very grateful.

In a country where it is frowned upon if you have to call in sick, frowned upon if you turn up when sick, expected to work til your last breath and if you don't die before you retire are faced with a crap pension due to the ridiculous high pricing of everything, I take great pride in having this extra day off for whatever reason it is, hope someone can wangle a few extra ones in for next year and the year after and.....

Googles wonderful isn't it... id rather celebrate that.

German surnames up until world war 1.

Nope, its called what you learned at school. If I used google, I would have gone a lot further back than the stuarts :). Hence hazy memory.

Google is for footballers people write about, that I have never heard of.

Archived