IGNORED

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee.......match Thread.

myol'man

What's the point of all this?

Britain ceased to exist on 1st January 2009. Read the Lisbon Treaty.

So where do I live now then if not Britain? (Sorry, I'm having too much of a good time at the moment to be able to read the Lisbon Treaty. Am I irresponsible for not taking an interest in what is being determined for me? Maybe so, but I'm still having a good time!)

I'm not a Royalist, but I will gratefully take an extra day's holiday and enjoy my time with others who are celebrating and look forward to having a good time.

I with you on this, mind you we have worked an extra day this year due to it being a leap year.

So there just giving us it back. :-)

I think you will find, the billions of pounds generated every single year by the royal family and the queen out weighs the millions spent by this celebration. It really annoys me when people say about the money wasted by the queen. Would you rather president Cameron and president clegg? No thanks

Billions of pounds generated by the Royal family !

So there they are one of the biggest wealth generators in this country are they . Well that is one hell of a claim not backed up by any statistics by any orgainisation any where .

How will I be celebrating? Well on Saturday it was my sisters wedding, something that i am still recovering from :drunk2:

Ironically enough, we spent the weekend at Eynsham hall, which im sure Eynsham Red will know something about, amazing place to say the least! Wallet hurts though...

For today and tommorow i will continue to drink, try and find an event somewhere in the Weston area.

Long live the Queen! :englandflag:

Billions of pounds generated by the Royal family !

So there they are one of the biggest wealth generators in this country are they . Well that is one hell of a claim not backed up by any statistics by any orgainisation any where .

The royal family is probably the only reason why we are famous around the world. Everyone knows where London is becuase thats where the Queen lives etc. So the tourism it attracts is HUGE

I think there are a few plus points to the Queen as well as quite a few negative ones .

However driving back from a day trip yesterday listening to Radio 5 I did find the coverage vommit inducing , interviewing minor celebs who paying tributes to the Queen and treater her not like a Queen but like a God.

The royal family is probably the only reason why we are famous around the world. Everyone knows where London is becuase thats where the Queen lives etc. So the tourism it attracts is HUGE

Sorry your wrong and there have been many many reports and studies to prove you are wrong.

Again we have a supporter of the Royals over egging the pudding. The Queen is famous around the world but to say that we are only famous for her is not only wrong but quite frankly ridiculous .

Look at the achievement and famous people from this country .

Birthplace of the industrial revolution , the Beatles , Winstone Churchill , Brunnel , invented football , cricket and Rugby , Bobby Charlton , Live aid , punk rock , Harry Potter , Flemminh , Edward Jennar , Florance Nightingale , William Shakespeare , I could go on and on and on .

Sorry your wrong and there have been many many reports and studies to prove you are wrong.

Again we have a supporter of the Royals over egging the pudding. The Queen is famous around the world but to say that we are only famous for her is not only wrong but quite frankly ridiculous .

Birthplace of the industrial revolution , the Beatles , Winstone Churchill , Brunnel , invented football , cricket and Rugby , Bobby Charlton , Live aid , punk rock , Harry Potter , Flemminh , Edward Jennar , Florance Nightingale , William Shakespeare , I could go on and on and on .

I didn't intend to mean that the country is only famous for the royal family, but is a massive reason why this place is so popular. Also without the history of the royals we wouldn't have had so much influence on many other countries around the world.

I will agree that i have over exaggerated a little and you make a valid point, but i believe that i have too

IMO :)

This plus more...

Going to be a bit controversial here but got to say, if people want to live in a republic, why don't they toddle off over to Europe and live in one, as there are a few to choose from.

We've had a monarchy for hundreds of years, some good and some bad, but they are one of the main reasons this little country has far more clout around the world than we could reasonably expect otherwise. I get sick to the back teeth of people trying to take away anything that makes us English and this is just another example. From do good'ers telling us that the red and white flag of St George has racist overtones, to clowns who tell us that Christmas lights should be called festive lights, so they don't offend members of the British population who don't celebrate Christmas. I would put the anti Royalists in the same category, whether they like it or not.

Something the people shouting about how much the Royals cost the country should also think about is where is all this pile of money going exactly? Answer is, a huge amount of it goes indirectly back to the country again as it pays for staff (in other words provides employment) and maintains the palaces for the nation. A lot of the money paid to the minor royals was cut off years ago, so the cost of maintaining the Royal Family is probably a lot less now than it was in the past. By the time tourism is taken into the equation, I bet the country is well in profit, though granted I expect the lion's share does go to London, rather than the rest of us.

I'd far rather have the Queen as head of state, than some of the tools other countries have been stuck with in the recent past.

So to all the republicans out there, be careful what you wish for, just in case you get it!

Going to be a bit controversial here but got to say, if people want to live in a republic, why don't they toddle off over to Europe and live in one, as there are a few to choose from.

We've had a monarchy for hundreds of years, some good and some bad, but they are one of the main reasons this little country has far more clout around the world than we could reasonably expect otherwise. I get sick to the back teeth of people trying to take away anything that makes us English and this is just another example. From do good'ers telling us that the red and white flag of St George has racist overtones, to clowns who tell us that Christmas lights should be called festive lights, so they don't offend members of the British population who don't celebrate Christmas. I would put the anti Royalists in the same category, whether they like it or not.

Something the people shouting about how much the Royals cost the country should also think about is where is all this pile of money going exactly? Answer is, a huge amount of it goes indirectly back to the country again as it pays for staff (in other words provides employment) and maintains the palaces for the nation. A lot of the money paid to the minor royals was cut off years ago, so the cost of maintaining the Royal Family is probably a lot less now than it was in the past. By the time tourism is taken into the equation, I bet the country is well in profit, though granted I expect the lion's share does go to London, rather than the rest of us.

I'd far rather have the Queen as head of state, than some of the tools other countries have been stuck with in the recent past.

So to all the republicans out there, be careful what you wish for, just in case you get it!

Top post, if you want a republic, bugger off to France.

Rule brittania.

Agree with that. We know how to put on a show alright. Shame Phil missed it !

Yep, unfortunate. Shows how they take the job seriously, most people would be at their loved ones bedside.

Al Qaeda could of had a field day...

The fireworks made me proud to be British but was disappointed the queen didn't have the bottle to speak herself.

Wtf are you on about... Bottle, its not a penalty shoot out for gods sake!

She is our queen and everyone wanted to hear her speak I'm sure. If she was to say thanks and give a little speech it would have finished the night off nicely.

You realise it is not the end of the jubilee don't you Jordan? It finishes tomorrow, where she will give a speech, that is how it has worked in the past. It is the ceremony. Not playing up to todays self gratifying whooping and shouting, which we seem to have imported from America.

You realise it is not the end of the jubilee don't you Jordan? It finishes tomorrow, where she will give a speech, that is how it has worked in the past. It is the ceremony. Not playing up to todays self gratifying whooping and shouting, which we seem to have imported from America.

I know it finishes tomorrow but tonight was such a spectacular event, if she was give a little speech I think it would have made tonight that extra special. Still I do feel proud to be British and she has clearly done an unbelievable job as queen.

All the flag waving in the night made me wish I was there so much. Just shows this country can actually unite :laugh:

She is our queen and everyone wanted to hear her speak I'm sure. If she was to say thanks and give a little speech it would have finished the night off nicely.

Her husband is in hospital, I think she has other things to worry about.

Plus she has given herself to the Country for 60 years, isn't that enough for you?

Her husband is in hospital, I think she has other things to worry about.

Plus she has given herself to the Country for 60 years, isn't that enough for you?

I'm not saying she's not done enough, she has done incredible.

My opinion was I hoped for her to say a few words to round the night off.

I know it finishes tomorrow but tonight was such a spectacular event, if she was give a little speech I think it would have made tonight that extra special. Still I do feel proud to be British and she has clearly done an unbelievable job as queen.

All the flag waving in the night made me wish I was there so much. Just shows this country can actually unite :laugh:

It was a good spectacle, and does make you think what is good about your country.

We are too good at putting down our own country. Most other people get behind their own country.

For me, it re emphasised that I am lucky to have been born here, and not Ethiopia, or say Romania. The Romanians are a proud race. Lovely country. But if you want to see hardship in Europe go there. You soon realise, we are lucky here, and should be proud of what we have, rather than run it down. They only thing we really can complain about is self interested politicians turning things shitty.

Spot on mate. Sky News were yesterday saying that 80% of the population now support the Monarchy, which is higher than I can ever remember.

The Republicans may as well give up, because they are never going to get what they want.

Long live the Monarchy !!

It was a good spectacle, and does make you think what is good about your country.

We are too good at putting down our own country. Most other people get behind their own country.

For me, it re emphasised that I am lucky to have been born here, and not Ethiopia, or say Romania. The Romanians are a proud race. Lovely country. But if you want to see hardship in Europe go there. You soon realise, we are lucky here, and should be proud of what we have, rather than run it down. They only thing we really can complain about is self interested politicians turning things shitty.

The only thing I find embarrassing in this country is the lack of back-bone when it comes to jail sentences. If someone is sentenced to life for murder, they should be there until they die. Not 20 year sentence and released after 10 for good behavior.

Apart from that this country is the best. I feel so proud to be English. A country of our size shouldn't have the power or finance we do which epitomises the English spirit imo.

Archived