IGNORED

England V Italy (Pre Match Build Up Thread)

Abraham Romanovich

Think Jordan is showing himself up a little in this thread. Carroll (our best starter v Sweden) had a far far better tournament than the consistenty anonymous Welbeck. No Walcott in the 2014 squad? Mad.

I'd have thought most of those who played tonight will be in the WC squad (same as 9 of the 11 who lost to Germany were orginally selected for this tournament).

I agree re Gerrard.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I saw a headline earlier today saying that Gerrard was the player of the tournament so far. I had a smile at that - he was our best player up to tonight, but he's is as far from the best player of the tournament as I am from the friggin moon.

He went missing tonight when needed, hid for an hour or more - absolutely dreadful performance which ensured we had no chance of winning.

I've been Gerrard's biggest critic. But I thought in the group games he finally started playing it simple instead of the constant 50 yard passes to no one. I was impressed with how he played.

Tonight he reverted to type and then went missing.

Think Jordan is showing himself up a little in this thread. Carroll (our best starter v Sweden) had a far far better tournament than the consistenty anonymous Welbeck. No Walcott in the 2014 squad? Mad.

I'd have thought most of those who played tonight will be in the WC squad (same as 9 of the 11 who lost to Germany were orginally selected for this tournament).

Welbeck is a much better player than Carroll overall. Walcott will go to the world cup but if you read my post it said:

Players who started.. Walcott didn't start. I rest my case.

Quite how we were on level terms after 90 or 120 mins I don't know. Aside from a few minutes in the first 10-20 we were 2nd rate, and a 0-0 flatters. I thought Glen Johnson had a decent game, Young a stinker, Carroll did OK when he came on, and as for Jordan Henderson, see the England v France thread.

Personally, an exit works: am on a plane during the semi on Thursday, and at the Stone Roses on Sunday.

Hoping for Portugal v Germany final.

Jordan is only 18 and doesn't seem to realise that most of us have watched football for 30-40-50 years.

Jordan is only 18 and doesn't seem to realise that most of us have watched football for 30-40-50 years.

What has that got to do with it?

You've watched Andy Carroll and Danny Welbeck for the same amount of time as I have. Welbeck has more to his game than Carroll. Welbeck can play in more systems and styles of play than Carroll. Welbeck had a better tournament than Carroll.

I wonder how many England fans would prefer to have Crouch in the team ahead of Carroll...

crouch,carroll, it dosent matter. whoevers picked to play for us in any postion wont make a blind bit of diffrence.

all this talk of closing down pirlo,is just shit. what happens when we get the ball ? we do not have the skill to keep it.

the last decent squad we had was 1970! you young ones wont know the names, but after 1970 english players in the top flight of football that were real ball players were numerous, currie bowles,worthington,macenzie,hudson,bell,marsh,francis,to name but a few.

and the older members will tell you they were real players, and we still won f all!

You've watched Andy Carroll and Danny Welbeck for the same amount of time as I have. Welbeck has more to his game than Carroll. Welbeck can play in more systems and styles of play than Carroll. Welbeck had a better tournament than Carroll.

iam with jordan welbeck was much more afective than carol thats just how it was

He'll be banging the England are average drum in 10 years time Bill, you wait and see.

It's his enthusiasm I remember in myself going into Italia 90, Euro 96, you kind of believe that it's an injustice that England havent won anything since 66 and this will be their tournament.

Rooney was playing behind Welbeck and should have been closest to Pirlo.

Didn't you hear Gerrard shouting at Rooney to keep an eye on Pirlo?

Rooney simply wasn't fit enough. Should have been given 60 mins. max, if that.

Let's face it, Carroll is a donkey who should be nowhere near the squad. Defoe would have been a better option at that stage of the game, at least he has some pace and energy.

I've been a big critic of Gerrard at international level in the past. Not so good tonight but generally a good tournament as he's kept his game much simpler. Probably comes from playing for an English manager that he can understand. Sure that Hodgson must have had words with him about trying not to give the ball away so often.

The one player that has really played above himself is Johnson. Good going forward but also defensively with anticipation and getting back to shut the bolt behind his Central Defenders.

Can't understand people criticising Walcott, he looked our one glimmer of hope, if only someone could have passed the ball to him.

He'll be banging the England are average drum in 10 years time Bill, you wait and see.

It's his enthusiasm I remember in myself going into Italia 90, Euro 96, you kind of believe that it's an injustice that England havent won anything since 66 and this will be their tournament.

I don't think England are anything special whatsoever. We are a million miles off the top international teams.

I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the fact you are banging on about 2014 etc.

Forget it,most Of us know, we either won't qualify or we have zero chance of doing anything.

QF is the best we have ever done in South America and I would put my mortgage on us not getting that far.

I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the fact you are banging on about 2014 etc.

Forget it,most Of us know, we either won't qualify or we have zero chance of doing anything.

QF is the best we have ever done in South America and I would put my mortgage on us not getting that far.

It was sarcasm... hence the :whistle:

Same as that mate, people think we're cynics but it's just being realistic.

crouch,carroll, it dosent matter. whoevers picked to play for us in any postion wont make a blind bit of diffrence.

all this talk of closing down pirlo,is just shit. what happens when we get the ball ? we do not have the skill to keep it.

the last decent squad we had was 1970! you young ones wont know the names, but after 1970 english players in the top flight of football that were real ball players were numerous, currie bowles,worthington,macenzie,hudson,bell,marsh,francis,to name but a few.

and the older members will tell you they were real players, and we still won f all!

That lot weren't playing in 1970 mate, although there's some great players in there. I think a lot of people felt the 1970 World Cup team was better than the one in 1966 but unfortunately was played in Mexico, searing heat and altitude.

I've been a big critic of Gerrard at international level in the past. Not so good tonight but generally a good tournament as he's kept his game much simpler. Probably comes from playing for an English manager that he can understand. Sure that Hodgson must have had words with him about trying not to give the ball away so often.

Exactly my thoughts,word for word.

That lot weren't playing in 1970 mate, although there's some great players in there. I think a lot of people felt the 1970 World Cup team was better than the one in 1966 but unfortunately was played in Mexico, searing heat and altitude.

And, when you go 2-0 up v the Germans you don't take your best player off!!!

Pretty embarrassing how superior Italy were; both technically and in terms of fitness.

Substitutions were a bit strange as well. Young was having a nightmare while Welbeck has having a pretty good game.

Unfortunatley we weren't good enough and had we gone through I've no doubt Germany would have destroyed us.

On a positive note though its great to have an English manager who come across really well in interviews etc but he can't help that hes inherited a pretty poor squad par a couple of exceptions

36% possession tonight says it all. Nothing will change until we learn to keep the ball. Makes me laugh how people were slating Spain yesterday. The four best teams have made it through.

As you say it's just amazing what people were saying on here about Spain last night.

Italy could only muster 40% possession against Spain, but outclassed us.

There seems to be a jealousy that Spain are just so good and dominating World Football at the moment.

Surely every Englishman would wish to be in there position at the moment.

i can assure you marshy all of the players named werte playing in div1 in the 70s.

Archived