IGNORED

Buzsaky / Baldock (+ A Little Bit Of Gerrard) .... Merged

Brizzle Jordan

Great attacking wotsit now? This seasons Koumas then ;)

As for 30, it would be great if the majority of the signings in key positions weren't nearly 30 or over 30 but they have been, Dad's Army? Journeymen, no resale value, etc etc..

Why will it matter about resale value if he's going to cost us no fee in the first place. Also we need to have experienced players in the side. Morris cost us nothing and Cunningham is 21.

As for 30, it would be great if the majority of the signings in key positions weren't nearly 30 or over 30 but they have been, Dad's Army? Journeymen, no resale value, etc etc..

Buszaky is a top 6 club Championship footballer, regardless of the fact he's 30. He's no journeyman, he's only had 2 clubs in England I think (Plymouth, QPR).

We'd be absolutely mad not to be trying to sign him - trouble is surely someone in the top half will snap him up ahead of us. I would be amazed if we pulled this off, the type of player we've needed since Noble left.

But Buszaky would be a lot more likely to get subbed or not start every game, where Cunningham is pretty much guaranteed 90 mins unless its a formation change

Buszaky would start every game imo.

4-4-2 he will play alongside Skuse but in a 4-3-3 he could play with:

Skuse

Morris/Elliot

Buszaky

If we sign him then Kilkenny is without doubt surplus to requirements.

I would be delighted if we could get him! He is about as creative as it gets at this level!

I would be amazed though if he chose us. He will have many of offers and probably from top end championship clubs that we can't match.

I would love to see him here but I just can't see it.

I think he is the sort of player we could really do with at away games when we are likely to see alot less of the ball and be up against very good opposition.

I think if the team as a whole is alot stronger then he won't be missed as much. Hopefully this is the case.

+1.

Little bit concerned weve lost, IMO, our current best midfield player and replaced him with an ageing chap who's been playing for the Scottish equivalent of Bath City for 4 years.

Time will tell though, hope Morris proves me wrong and Del strengthens the squad throughout.

• Admin

It goes without saying that our best season in the Championship was our first one where our best performances came when playing 4411.

If Buzsaky were to sign it would help us to recreate that formation this season:

Buzsaky>Noble

Elliott (or Skuse) = Eliott

Morris>Johnson

Pearson=McIndoe

Albert>Sproule

The forwards that season were shocking with Byfield our leading scorer with 8 (Adebola got 6 & Trundle 5). Even if we signed no-one up front I'd be fairly confident of Stead & Pitman between them amassing a similar tally & would expect Buzsaky to get more than Noble's 2. Elliott is usually good for around 4 or 5 goals a season (which is what he got that year) & I'd back Pearson & Adomah (+ Woolford/Bolassie) to better the goal return of the wide-men that season.

The question that remains is can Derek build a defensive unit to match that of the play-off season? (Plus the useful goals they contributed, 9 against 11/12 season's 0).

Plus of course Buzsaky would have to sign in the first place, which I don't believe he will. But if he did....happy days for me at least.

It goes without saying that our best season in the Championship was our first one where our best performances came when playing 4411.

If Buzsaky were to sign it would help us to recreate that formation this season:

Buzsaky>Noble

Elliott (or Skuse) = Eliott

Morris>Johnson

Pearson=McIndoe

Albert>Sproule

The forwards that season were shocking with Byfield our leading scorer with 8 (Adebola got 6 & Trundle 5). Even if we signed no-one up front I'd be fairly confident of Stead & Pitman between them amassing a similar tally & would expect Buzsaky to get more than Noble's 2. Elliott is usually good for around 4 or 5 goals a season (which is what he got that year) & I'd back Pearson & Adomah (+ Woolford/Bolassie) to better the goal return of the wide-men that season.

The question that remains is can Derek build a defensive unit to match that of the play-off season? (Plus the useful goals they contributed, 9 against 11/12 season's 0).

Plus of course Buzsaky would have to sign in the first place, which I don't believe he will. But if he did....happy days for me at least.

Presuming the story is accurate, and you tend to think Sky possess a reasonably informed network, the interesting thing here is that, as you say, it would appear we are shaping up with a midfield heavy formation.

A picture begins to develop where logic dictates any new striker be a young, Premier League loanee (if logic doesn't already dictate that), with Morris occupying the role he previously did under McInnes at St Johnstone protecting the back four. Skuse, or in this make-up and in my opinion preferably Elliott, are then told energy energy energy in the middle of the park, winning the ball and feeding either the deep lying Morris or more advanced x.

Unless McInnes see's this opportunity as simply too good to miss, it can be interpreted as rather eye-opening for the shape we'll see this season.

He would be a great signing - however my only concern would be do we know how to use him properly?

Would he be given the free floating role he would thrive on in a team that needs to defend first of all?

Fingers crossed he signs and if he does Del knows what he's doing..

He would be a great signing - however my only concern would be do we know how to use him properly?

Would he be given the free floating role he would thrive on in a team that needs to defend first of all?

Fingers crossed he signs and if he does Del knows what he's doing..

Are you worried perhaps DMC might play him out position a la GJ and Millen?, hopefully those days are over.

Are you worried perhaps DMC might play him out position a la GJ and Millen?, hopefully those days are over.

We can but hope, but I also wonder if we can afford to have a "luxury" player (doesn't track back and is not a natural tackler) in our side, as it appears that Del like a team that battles for every ball..

Just a thought

• Admin

Presuming the story is accurate, and you tend to think Sky possess a reasonably informed network, the interesting thing here is that, as you say, it would appear we are shaping up with a midfield heavy formation.

A picture begins to develop where logic dictates any new striker be a young, Premier League loanee (if logic doesn't already dictate that), with Morris occupying the role he previously did under McInnes at St Johnstone protecting the back four. Skuse, or in this make-up and in my opinion preferably Elliott, are then told energy energy energy in the middle of the park, winning the ball and feeding either the deep lying Morris or more advanced x.

Unless McInnes see's this opportunity as simply too good to miss, it can be interpreted as rather eye-opening for the shape we'll see this season.

I personally don't mind 451/4411 because if we go toe to toe with other sides in this division playing 442, to win consistently we would need to have better players in our starting XI than the opposition. With the introduction of FFP (or as I see it "keeping the little guy down") this will be harder & harder for a club of our size to do.

Forgive me for continuing to harp back to our play-off season but I think most will agree that we did not have the 4th best squad of individual players in the Championship that season. What we achieved was done so on a mixture of good fortune, tactics, positive attitude & sheer bloody mindedness.

If Derek is to achieve a similar level of success in the forthcoming seasons at this level I believe he will have to draw on a lot of these ethos. By packing the midfield as you say, we give ourselves a more-than-decent chance of doing this but in my opinion relies a lot on the person charged with playing the attacking role in that midfield. This player would need to have good movement, a decent footballing brain/vision & pose a significant goal threat. In our current squad the nearest player we have to this would be Pearson but from what I have seen of Buszaky, he would be even better (as would Dobbie from Swansea)....which has the added bonus of allowing Pearson to use those qualities on the left (much like McIndoe used to before Johnson had him "tucking in" in a 442). Kills could probably do a decent job in this role too, something Derek tried soon after arriving around the time of Millwall away etc.

As a further aside, Maynard would have been a decent fit up front for such a formation & of the players we've been linked with, Simeon Jackson would appear to be the best for fitting into this role.

I personally don't mind 451/4411 because if we go toe to toe with other sides in this division playing 442, to win consistently we would need to have better players in our starting XI than the opposition. With the introduction of FFP (or as I see it "keeping the little guy down") this will be harder & harder for a club of our size to do.

Forgive me for continuing to harp back to our play-off season but I think most will agree that we did not have the 4th best squad of individual players in the Championship that season. What we achieved was done so on a mixture of good fortune, tactics, positive attitude & sheer bloody mindedness.

If Derek is to achieve a similar level of success in the forthcoming seasons at this level I believe he will have to draw on a lot of these ethos. By packing the midfield as you say, we give ourselves a more-than-decent chance of doing this but in my opinion relies a lot on the person charged with playing the attacking role in that midfield. This player would need to have good movement, a decent footballing brain/vision & pose a significant goal threat. In our current squad the nearest player we have to this would be Pearson but from what I have seen of Buszaky, he would be even better (as would Dobbie from Swansea)....which has the added bonus of allowing Pearson to use those qualities on the left (much like McIndoe used to before Johnson had him "tucking in" in a 442). Kills could probably do a decent job in this role too, something Derek tried soon after arriving around the time of Millwall away etc.

As a further aside, Maynard would have been a decent fit up front for such a formation & of the players we've been linked with, Simeon Jackson would appear to be the best for fitting into this role.

Hard to argue with any of that.

Was actually rather mystified that we seemed to abandon Kilkenny in the playmaking/advanced role. Personally felt it worked well and we played some decent stuff with him in the hole, he appeared to largely fall off the radar as the season progressed and then McInnes settled on two up top.

You tend to think we'll sign one new starting attacking threat. Whether that be a striker to play off Stead or an attacking playmaker is to be seen, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a prominent new face somewhere on the attacking front. Having always been a fan of 4-3-3 and partial to 4-4-1-1, although clearly the lines between the two are easily blurred, I'd much prefer we sign a Buzsaky type than pursue a permanent partner for Stead. In doing so we immediately provide a more solid spine, greater defensive protection and ensure we are already suitably covered for strikers with Stead, Pitman and Taylor sufficient competition for the lone striker role.

Of course I'd still like to see a young, quick, Premier League striker come in, as well as a centre back and new number one. But a 4-4-1-1 come 4-3-3 with a talented playmaker off any of our current strikers is infinately more reassuring, to me at least, than even if we signed a high profile partner for Stead and went 4-4-2.

Edit - Simeon Jackson is the one name I've seen {realistically} touted this summer which massively excites me.

Theoretically I'd prefer Buzsaky to Jackson due to the formation connotations, but I think he'd be an excellent and exciting signing.

Hasn't hurt the likes of Blackpool, the Championship is a league for experience imo.

So what is it about Buszaky that is meant to impress? Another 30 year old. what else makes him brilliant as many suggest?

Well, there's a surprise...

...a player that most City fans would be delighted with, questioned by RalphMilnesLeftFoot...

...what would be a surprise is if RalphMilnesLeftFoot actually gave us the names of, say, five players who he thinks that we should sign...

...I bet that they would be beyond our means...

...RMLF... :w00t:

Ah, the personals, the last vestiges of Otib.

Already given a list of players, ages ago. before seasons end. linked here

Also mentioned Wordsworth from Colchester as a young, goalscoring, free kick taking midfielder

People clearly wont agree with the list, but none are 'beyond' our means

Your go

I don't particularly have a list...

...but then I don't feel that I need one, as I would not feel the need to instantly dismiss any player that I had not included on it...

...your go...

Dont see all this facination of getting a pacey striker alongside Stead, Adomah and bolasie are wingers as trade but often the can go on mazey runs and cut inside(adomahs goal vs Burnley?) Nothing wrong with playing Stead and Pitman upfront playing off eachother, and also supply an outlet to Adomah, Bolasie and (hopefully) Buszaky running thorugh!

I don't particularly have a list...

...but then I don't feel that I need one, as I would not feel the need to instantly dismiss any player that I had not included on it...

...your go...

Mate believe me arguing with our resident Sheldon Cooper is pointless, there is only one list that has any worth whatsoever, you know that and I know that and that is DMC's list and you also know that there will almost certainly be nobody on that list that Sheldon will rate, he doesn't rate DMC he was against the appointment and get's a kick out of every little setback in an attempt to prove he was right all along, just like another poster was about GJ.

Archived