IGNORED

Mayor Election

bs3

How can you possibly say he took it like a man?? he got beat, and had no where to go...he had no choice.

He doesnt care about the stadium, he doesnt care about "North Street" like he liked to make out...all he cares about is his own agenda. His agenda was getting hold of the Ashton Gate land for a fraction of the price Sainsburys were prepared to pay

His agenda involved mud slinging and doing his best to paint Lansdown and Bristol City as some kind of uncaring selfish Business juggernaut that did not give to sh*ts about the local community and would steam roll over anyone and everything to get the new stadium.

He is a snidey weasel and I really hope he doesnt get voted in

This is my view too. Typical politician, he objected to the sale of the Gate to Sainsbury's in line with the North Street traders objections regarding a fall in trading and set himself as their mouthpiece. Whether he was sincere about that or not is irrelevant. The way he presented himself and was publicised in his objections to Sainsburys gave me the impresseion that he was, indeed, a 'snidey weasel' and, for me, has his own agenda as he was interested in the site himself.

Still, nothing to do with me as I live in South Glos.... :)

Reports suggesting George has over 50% of the vote and may win in the first round which would see a result at Lunchtime. EP saying the LD and Tory vote has collapsed and lots of glum looking labour people at the count who are already conceding.

This is my view too. Typical politician, he objected to the sale of the Gate to Sainsbury's in line with the North Street traders objections regarding a fall in trading and set himself as their mouthpiece. Whether he was sincere about that or not is irrelevant. The way he presented himself and was publicised in his objections to Sainsburys gave me the impresseion that he was, indeed, a 'snidey weasel' and, for me, has his own agenda as he was interested in the site himself.

Still, nothing to do with me as I live in South Glos.... :)

Yet curiously has said he'll support Sainsburys application at the Memorial stadium

If he gets in, it's good news for the gappers.

I don't like GF but out of all that stood for the election he's the only one thats come across as being able to get things done,

I think the big mis-trust in politics at the moment has had a massive impact and Whitehall need to take note of this,

The tories, Lib Dems and Labour are all out of touch

Yet curiously has said he'll support Sainsburys application at the Memorial stadium

No he hasn't he said, like AV, he's supportive of the stadium not the supermarket.

George has probably one this by going old school and actively canvassing votes and also steering clear of running a dirty campaign like Labour and the LD have done.

I don't like GF but out of all that stood for the election he's the only one thats come across as being able to get things done,

I think the big mis-trust in politics at the moment has had a massive impact and Whitehall need to take note of this,

The tories, Lib Dems and Labour are all out of touch

Rubbish. What exactly has he said that he would get done? Appalling choice and you lot in Bristol should be ashamed. So happy i am South Glos.

No he hasn't he said, like AV, he's supportive of the stadium not the supermarket.

Uhh, No Tom, I think your wrong.....

"George Ferguson (Bristol 1st) who opposed a Sainsbury's at Ashton Gate said it was a different issue for Rovers.

He said the club was relying heavily – about 75 per cent – on the funding from the new store to help build the stadium and therefore "would not want to stand in the club's way".

Mr Ferguson said the difference with City was that it was a much bigger store – and he claimed the club only needed ten per cent of the money towards its new stadium."

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Home-win-Bristol-Rovers-Memorial-Stadium-plan/story-17263485-detail/story.html

Second Round will throw it right up in the air I reckon. Rees will be back as fav

Don't know - Tory and Lib Dem vote has apparently collapsed. I'd expect GF to do better than Rees out of that scenario.

Hopefully the majority of voters have put their political preferences to one side and voted for who they believe to be the best man for the job.

"George Ferguson (Bristol 1st) who opposed a Sainsbury's at Ashton Gate said it was a different issue for Rovers.

He said the club was relying heavily – about 75 per cent – on the funding from the new store to help build the stadium and therefore "would not want to stand in the club's way".

Mr Ferguson said the difference with City was that it was a much bigger store – and he claimed the club only needed ten per cent of the money towards its new stadium."

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

No I spoke to him and he said while he supports the new stadium he said he doesn't want to see a new sainsburys but isn't getting involved in that fight. So I make that more an agnostic approach

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

yes he supports the new ground not the new sainsburys thats what tom said

Don't know - Tory and Lib Dem vote has apparently collapsed. I'd expect GF to do better than Rees out of that scenario.

Hopefully the majority of voters have put their political preferences to one side and voted for who they believe to be the best man for the job.

I'm getting confused with supplementary vote, having looked into it I can only see it further increasing GF's vote

The Supplementary Vote (SV) is a shortened version of the Alternative Vote (AV). Under SV, there are two columns on the ballot paper – one for voters to mark their first choice and one in which to mark a second choice. Voters mark one 'X' in each column, although voters are not required to make a second choice if they do not wish to.

All the first choices are then counted, and if a candidate has a majority, they are elected. If no candidate receives a majority, the top two candidates continue to a second round and all other candidates are eliminated. The second-choice votes of everyone whose first choice has been eliminated are then counted.

Any votes for the remaining candidates are then added to their first-round totals. Whichever candidate has the most votes after these second-preferences have been allocated is declared the winner.

Isn't getting involved in the fight??

He's looking to become Mayor of Bristol FFS, he has to have a stance on these issues whether its City or Rovers

The fact that his arguement was based on Rovers relying on the sell to Sainsburys for 75% of the funding should be irrelevant if his stance is to protect local traders from large supermarkets which is what he kept on telling us at Ashton.

Would he "not got involved in the fight" if SL reported that he needed to sell to Sainsburys to fund 75% of the building of AV?

Ill answer that for you......NO! It just goes to show that the biggest NIMBY in Bristol is going to be Mayor...how apt

Archived