IGNORED

Mayor Election

bs3

This is an absolutely horrific result.

Mr Red Trousers, unless of course he's in BS7 when it is Mr Blue Trousers, and "no" to Sainsburys in BS3, but "yes" to Sainsburys in BS7.

He's a merchant venturer, though now everyone knows this he'll "probably" resign and won't attend any more of their meetings.

I'm more depressed than I was by the Charlton result, it really couldn't be worse.

Ah ok, hidden away on twitter so as most people wouldn't see it.

Still having listened to his and Sue Mountstevens on points west tonight, totally uninspiring and stuttering performances, in fact Ferguson said some guff about 'the city being 2nd to Bristol' didn't make any sense whatsoever, I suspect with all of the cuts he is going to have to make the tories and labour might view this as a good one too lose.

I didn't vote for red trousers because I didn't want a hippy making decisions. This city needs serious work on infrastructure for transport (light rail/metro), a sea change in planning policy (no more infilling spare land with flats), to stop persecuting motorists at least until there's a viable alternative and to do something significant to encourage new entrepreneurism and help young people get into work.

I'm dubious about Ferguson's ability to be pragmatic and not get led astray by gimmicky eco idealism. Can he really ignore the hopelessly unrealistic sandal wearers and do what's needed? I guess we will see. The cabinet appointments will be interesting. However, there is a bright side:

At least it's not another useless **** from one of the main parties, all of whom are either corrupt, utterly useless or both. The last thing this city needed was a Labour, Lib Dem or Tory following the party line in charge and despite my reservations about Ferguson I'm very glad the worst didn't happen.

Pleased to see that an independent won the PCC as well. She's been a magistrate so she should have a good idea of the results the system gets at the moment (repeat offenders, disenfranchised youth, systemic problems in how addiction is handled), and she won't be hampered by party lines. I think that outcome was the best we could have got.

This is an absolutely horrific result.

Mr Red Trousers, unless of course he's in BS7 when it is Mr Blue Trousers, and "no" to Sainsburys in BS3, but "yes" to Sainsburys in BS7.

He's a merchant venturer, though now everyone knows this he'll "probably" resign and won't attend any more of their meetings.

I'm more depressed than I was by the Charlton result, it really couldn't be worse.

+ 1

I didn't vote for red trousers because I didn't want a hippy making decisions. This city needs serious work on infrastructure for transport (light rail/metro), a sea change in planning policy (no more infilling spare land with flats), to stop persecuting motorists at least until there's a viable alternative and to do something significant to encourage new entrepreneurism and help young people get into work.

I'm dubious about Ferguson's ability to be pragmatic and not get led astray by gimmicky eco idealism. Can he really ignore the hopelessly unrealistic sandal wearers and do what's needed? I guess we will see. The cabinet appointments will be interesting. However, there is a bright side:

At least it's not another useless **** from one of the main parties, all of whom are either corrupt, utterly useless or both. The last thing this city needed was a Labour, Lib Dem or Tory following the party line in charge and despite my reservations about Ferguson I'm very glad the worst didn't happen.

Pleased to see that an independent won the PCC as well. She's been a magistrate so she should have a good idea of the results the system gets at the moment (repeat offenders, disenfranchised youth, systemic problems in how addiction is handled), and she won't be hampered by party lines. I think that outcome was the best we could have got.

Not according to this the 'meek' or the cheese makers didn't get a mention.

http://www.choosemypcc.org.uk/candidates/sue-mountstevens/

He had the best presentation in the official Mayoral handbook - and he (and Labour were the only candidates (at least in the Withywood area) that sent any literature - a nice newsheet with his ideas etc - seems the other candidates did not seem to care. Labour canvassed the area - Had Dawn Primarolo on my doorstep - but George seems to have gained votes all over Bristol by canvassing everywhere, whereas the others seem to have just hit one or two areas.....

He had the best presentation in the official Mayoral handbook - and he (and Labour were the only candidates (at least in the Withywood area) that sent any literature - a nice newsheet with his ideas etc - seems the other candidates did not seem to care. Labour canvassed the area - Had Dawn Primarolo on my doorstep - but George seems to have gained votes all over Bristol by canvassing everywhere, whereas the others seem to have just hit one or two areas.....

I think he's got votes mainly by being independent, and partly through having strong ties to Bristol for a long time. People are fed up with political parties, particularly in Bristol where we usually have a council that argues itself to a standstill and achieves nothing. They're all big on words and short on doing. Maybe red trousers will do something, even if it's wrong it's probably better than doing nothing.

Not according to this the 'meek' or the cheese makers didn't get a mention.

http://www.choosemyp...e-mountstevens/

Well I'm sure we've had this debate before but I'd point out that you can be a fierce advocate of victims and still take the right steps to ensure there are fewer of them. You don't have to be all hellfire and damnation, because the real world isn't black and white like that and she'll hardly have missed that point sitting as a magistrate instead of getting opinions out of the press.

Well I'm sure we've had this debate before but I'd point out that you can be a fierce advocate of victims and still take the right steps to ensure there are fewer of them. You don't have to be all hellfire and damnation, because the real world isn't black and white like that and she'll hardly have missed that point sitting as a magistrate instead of getting opinions out of the press.

i'm sure you are half right, although the hellfire and damnation seems to have gotten here elected and it wouldn't have been much of a vote winner either really would it, but I see one of her biggest supporters was an ex Chief Superintendent in the A & S old bill, still as with Ferguson, we wait with baited breath.

to stop persecuting motorists

Writing of the persecution of motorists, be very wary travelling down the Portway to Bristol from Avonmouth for tomorrow's game. There was a mobile speed tax van parked up in th 30mph section of the Portway just past the Avonmouth bridge last Saturday. There's the 400 yard or so 30mph stretch that's not clearly marked as 30mph - this is a real revenue raiser for the speed tax camera brigade and is a speed trap considering you can be easily caught out thinking that it's a 40mph stretch.

Not surprising, but interesting - for those that don't know. For the past 30 years whoever won Corby won the General Election

UKIP came from nowhere in the Corby election to get 3rd place, UKIP didn't even stand in Corby at the last election so that was an impressive finish. Could UKIP now be on track to kick out the new Labour MP for Corby at the next General election? :w00t:

I think Nibors right, people have had enough of a politically driven council, independent guy under the banner Bristol First canvasing in several places has worked for him.

For those of you who are complaining about the outcome, did you VOTE? only 28% eligable voted and a massive majority were OAPs, says it all really. NO vote - no complaint!

i think if the candidates want to look at their failures,then i would suggest marketing improvements and just getting the message out to the people of Bristol, apart from a manky old booklet i had no idea who to vote for !

The Police commisioner was a random cross, i had less idea about them than the mayor :bored:

UKIP came from nowhere in the Corby election to get 3rd place, UKIP didn't even stand in Corby at the last election so that was an impressive finish. Could UKIP now be on track to kick out the new Labour MP for Corby at the next General election? :w00t:

..and this is why possibly George & Sue won, simply put the vast majority of people are fed up with the three main parties. It might not be a ground breaking day for UK politics but the 3 main parties will be waking up to the fact they need to rethink the way forward perhaps?

^ but that party politics backlash implies a push, what was the pull? Would be interesting to see the vote in BS3 versus a middle class North Bristol neighbourhood. I would expect lots of people THERE voted for him assuming simply an honest interesting independent. It's hardly a ringing endorsement for pro-independent and anti-party politics that he's got in by simply being independent as the people who voted for him might have thought twice if he had presented the real him.

George has all the same qualifications as a politician - self serving, business interests, hides his true political position, spins himself as far more of a common man than he actually is - but he's tricked a lot of Bristol into giving him a pass that he is somehow more honest, democratic, and popularist than his interests and campaigning position has actually been in the past. He certainly hasn't deserved the "default" vote he seems to have got in this "backlash" - more fool all who did.

..and this is why possibly George & Sue won, simply put the vast majority of people are fed up with the three main parties. It might not be a ground breaking day for UK politics but the 3 main parties will be waking up to the fact they need to rethink the way forward perhaps?

Sick of the 3 mains myself. I had to go 'indie' this time - no point voting for a non-polling one so had to go GF. Tough times ahead, but at least it's not run from London

What I find interesting is everyone I speak to doesn't like the guy (im still not entirely sure why) but obv he is actually the most popular candidate because he won!

Either not enough people who don't like him didn't turn up n vote for someone else or....its just a certain section of bristolians who don't like the guy

No. IMO. They still only got 14% of the vote, in a mid-term by-election where protest votes are much higher than when people think their vote could determine the next government.

Nah, he's a George Ferguson fan, pure and simple !

And those who voted bought it. What does that say about the electorate's grasp of reality in Brizzle? Perhaps they were considering solely NOT to vote for an openly sponsored political candidate but instead the city elects someone who, seemingly, has fewer needs for checks and balances and toeing of any line of thought. I think is mayorship might be peppered with a host of inconsistencies, sound bites and fuzzy policies all for the purposes of trying to ingratiate himself for a second term. Of course, part of the intention of putting this remark out there and perhaps others who mark it down similarly is for 'The Ferguson' to do the precise opposite and govern 'for all of the people' . Vamos a ver as we say in Cuba...... 50 years of waiting mind; i doubt Bristolians will wait longer than 1 to see what he is about if they indeed remember who the hec he is by then.

No. IMO. They still only got 14% of the vote, in a mid-term by-election where protest votes are much higher than when people think their vote could determine the next government.

I just got this message through via e-mail. Well done Stoney Garnett in Bristol and well done UKIP in Corby - their day will come !!!!!!!......

3.png

UKIP records best ever by-election result

The UK Independence Party took third place in the Corby by-election, with over 14% of the vote, 5,108 votes, well ahead of the Liberal Democrats who lost their deposit.

UKIP Leader Nigel Farage said:

"This is a great result for UKIP. Along with the other results coming in from around the country today - including the 31% we scored in a by-election in Manchester - it confirms that we are now established as the third force in British politics.

"As a Corby resident said on Question Time last night 'UKIP is a breath of fresh air'.

"This is our best by-election result ever. We now move on to the by-elections in Middlesbrough and in Rotherham, where we already have a strong electoral footprint and we expect to do even better still."

What I find interesting is everyone I speak to doesn't like the guy (im still not entirely sure why) but obv he is actually the most popular candidate because he won!

Either not enough people who don't like him didn't turn up n vote for someone else or....its just a certain section of bristolians who don't like the guy

The reason Red Trousers won is because more NIMBYs turned out to vote than normal people.

They realised how important it was to get their sorry butts off the couch and get out and vote.........they saw the influence they could have on keeping Bristol the biggest backwater City in Britain.

You only have to look at the EP exit poll to see where his vote came from, Redland, Clifton, Lentilville, Henleaze, W-O-T, all NIMBY hotspots.

I really hope he proves me wrong and caters for all sections of the Bristol public.......and that includes BCFC fans and the backing of AV........instead of just supporting lentil eating, sandal wearing Lentilvillians.

BCAGFC

Archived