IGNORED

'gap Between Club And Fans As Wide As It's Ever Been'

Dave L

Think for me it all started about a season and half ago under millen....i went to ashton gate expecting us to lose, now i know that has more to do with the owners and the management of the team. However the whole atmosphere inside the stadium is dire, under johnson i always felt we had a unity, a fighting spirit, a feeling that even if the team were 2-0 down at half time, then the fans could help bring us back in the game.

i bought a season ticket last year and stopped going after the forest game in mid december....their is no decent pre match entertainment, no half time entertainment, no atmosphere. I hear a lot about how great our east end fans are, but have not seen any eveidence of this....they are outsung every game, have no original songs, no banners (due to club restrictions) basically if they are the hard core element of our support then they are a little embarrassing. However in their defence i dont think they get a lot of support from the club in their efforts which must be very frustrating.

I am going to peterboro tomorrow will be my first match since leeds at home, and personally i am not looking forward to it all, i used to get a buzz just walking in the stadium like many on here still do im sure. However i dont even look forward to the pre match pint anymore, as the atmosphere in the pub is one of dire expectation of another crap day out....

Have said it before this is currently a sesspit of a football club and without a shadow of doubt we will go down...their is no longer a connection with fans and the players/managemet/owners...so sad that i have already given up, but to be honest div 1 is all we deserve

To be fair there has been quite a response and many issues to address.

DaveL needs to pick his response carefully as there is a lot of ill feeling and he'll need to get this right.

After all it was him that poured a can of match on the wasps nest

Any address will do, silence as per norm :dunno:

I'm sure one of our senior members of staff buzzing for a Southampton game and talking like a chav on twitter doesn't help matters.

"The tweet on Wed night where I made reference to going to watch Saints v Arsenal was part of a longer train of comments with a friend of mine who is an Arsenal fan. We were mocking an Arsenal player (Frimpong) who over uses the word #dench on his own twitter feed. This was banter, but I can see why people have misinterpreted it. Believe me, I am far too old and uncool to be using words like that without my tongue firmly in my cheek!"

Taken from the 'Refunds for yesterday' thread.

@Mark

So if the catering is rubbish, that's no concern of the liaison officer? Is stewarding? Is the club shop?

Is this one of those open door management stunts where they ask opinions and then say "that's not what we want to hear".

correct, (gashead :laughcont: ) he asked and has been told, like he didnt know/should of known already :gaah:

I'm sure one of our senior members of staff buzzing for a Southampton game and talking like a chav on twitter doesn't help matters.

I suggest you go back and read the "refunds thread" quite refreshing really !

@Mark

So if the catering is rubbish, that's no concern of the liaison officer? Is stewarding? Is the club shop?

Is this one of those open door management stunts where they ask opinions and then say "that's not what we want to hear".

Ok fair point and taken on board, but I suspect that the club are under some silly contract like many are to the catering company and cant be changed for years. and im sorry whilst a good pie may add to your match day experience, I would rather more communication from the club and the players. IMO of of coarse

Cheers Mark

While there are some valid points in this thread there is also a load of crap.

What can Dave do about players wages, pasties and the on field captain ?

And as for having a go at him " Well you should already know etc etc " is a nonsense.

Yes I also feel further away from the club than at any point in time I can remember, but its not down to just one thing is it, its a culmination of lots of things, I remember shaking the hand of JW in the Dolman many years ago and alas he was gone shortly afterwards, but in the split second I felt more at one with the club than at any other time, and we were as bad in that period as we are now.

I guess there is no hands on anymore, be that down to security issues ( If i were Fontaine I certainly would not want to wander into the Dolman bar an hour or so before kick off to say hello) Its happended though before I remember both MB and BT coming in and walking around for 10 mins to say hello prior to Kick Off.

The world has changed its a far more dangerous place now.

But I do agree with some that the only way to bridge the gap is for the club/players to interact personally with the fans not by way of press release or twitter but on a one to one basis be that a walk around the interior of the stands prior to kick off and a chat with some fans, or as already suggested the re-opening of the ask SL forum ( exchange SL for who ever wants to do it).

That Dave is the bottom line, forget the clowns on here willing to moan at you about wages and pies both of which you can do nothing about, and get the players to communicate in person with some fans.

Cheers

Mark

Most of what I would say has already been said, but I would like to pick up on one point you made and that is the pastie issue, it is in itself very minor and also symptomatic of what people are saying about the distance between fans and the club. I would say the argument about the catering at BCFC has been rumbling along at least since SL took over at BCFC and the only response we get from the club is a business mans response "we have a great deal with the present caterers", that is not what the fans want to hear if the complaints about the catering have rumbled on as long as they have, then clearly there is a problem and that problem is being felt by the most important ingredient at the club the fans/customers and being told "we have great deal with the caterers" is about as much use as tits on a hog.

I understand that the club is a 'business' but the sound bytes from the club should not read like the reply you would expect from the budget airline nutter owner like O'Leary.

Dave,

I personally will not be coming back until the club from the board to the players is completely sorted, nothing from the chairman until a few weeks ago his first interview i have seen since he has took over and the only one? the BEST time was when SL was making regular interviews keeping fans informed and he was a superb chairman we need someone along them lines a real leader in charge of the club and some real leaders signed on the pitch, fontaine as captain is never a leader and his "team"s performance is not worth spending £50 quid each time on as this is the only club in the league showing no passion no fight, 90% of this team don't give a toss and fans are not happy, can you blame us?

The club these days is all about money, when we were in same position (yet again) last season the club slashed prices and fans done our part in backing the team but this lot plainly do not deserve backing. I even turned down a FREE ticket thats how fed up of how badly this club is ran, fontaine,foster coming out with confidence is back then go back to playing woeful, players like anderson n morris signed but never play can we afford to lose this money??

The board and players need to show the same passion as us, the fans to get this club moving in the same direction, bring back SL as chairman.

Dave,

The club is dying, theres no spirit, no togetherness, nothing.

Poor PR, faceless people running the club.

Players don't give a toss, that much is blatantly obvious. Seeing money that WE as fans put into the club being wasted on uncommitted, overpaid dross is galling.

As a supporter i feel like i'm just a cash machine for the club, put your money in and keep your mouth shut.

The run down facilities don't help either.

If the club was a dog, they'd have put it down a long time ago.

I've totally fallen out of love with the club.

The club has a massive, massive job on its hands to correct the disconnect with the fans.

Seriously, if this is your attitude, then get the **** out of our club,

Ok fair point and taken on board, but I suspect that the club are under some silly contract like many are to the catering company and cant be changed for years. and im sorry whilst a good pie may add to your match day experience, I would rather more communication from the club and the players. IMO of of coarse

Cheers Mark

The food has been rubbish since Lindley's took over and there have been numerous threads about how overpriced and crap the food and service is. It won't change. My view is simple - don't spend any money within AG.

Like you I would much prefer to have better and open communication from the club than 'better' food.

As Supporter Liaison Officer, don't you think you should know the answer to this question?

Perhaps you are part of the problem rather than the solution. Where was your job advertised and how many were interviewed for it? When were you last in BS3 just before a game? You know, liaising with supporters....

Similarly, where was Jon Lansdowne's job advertised and who was interviewed for one of the most important jobs at City?

Having said that, at least I know Jon's name even if it's only because his father is the owner. I assume Jon still works for us. What do the other directors do? And are they planning on any type of communication with the "paying customer"?

Take a look at the official website. It used to be a to class series of articles and so on. Now, it's barely worth looking at. However, I have just visited to see about the refund policy for Watford game. It says "club's Supporters Services team will be able to issue a refund". WTF is the "club's Supporters Services team"???? I guess the Commercial Director could tell me in between visits to Arsenal games.

Finally, I used to get excellent service from Jayne Maggs in the ticket office. She helped me out on a couple of occasions. What happened to the top-notch personal touch that made me feel part of the Bristol City family? Perhaps the Chairman can tell me in between promoting the "brand".

You get what you sow.

This.

I suggest that DL reads, understands and then acts on the majority of posts on this thread. He might also like to visit Ziderheads for an 'uncensored' view on him and his patronising responses to questions/concerns that I and a number of others have put to him (the thread entitled "DL Blog The bigger picture" is the one).

If he cannot, or will not, represent us fans (what exactly is a 'Supporter Liaison Officer, anyway?), then perhaps he may consider he is in the wrong job. In fairness, though, brave (original) post.

Most of what I would say has already been said, but I would like to pick up on one point you made and that is the pastie issue, it is in itself very minor and also symptomatic of what people are saying about the distance between fans and the club. I would say the argument about the catering at BCFC has been rumbling along at least since SL took over at BCFC and the only response we get from the club is a business mans response "we have a great deal with the present caterers", that is not what the fans want to hear if the complaints about the catering have rumbled on as long as they have, then clearly there is a problem and that problem is being felt by the most important ingredient at the club the fans/customers and being told "we have great deal with the caterers" is about as much use as tits on a hog.

I understand that the club is a 'business' but the sound bytes from the club should not read like the reply you would expect from the budget airline nutter owner like O'Leary.

Whilst I agree with what you say, I also feel "Pie-Gate" is insignificant with so much other stuff wrong at the moment...

Ask your self this:

Would you rather a decent Pie or a Chat with Albert ?

Had the club had great coms with us the fans then sure, lets get the pies sorted but I feel we need to set our sights higher in this thread than persuading Dave L to have a word about the Pies .

I think too much attention from the clubs board has been pumped in to the new stadium rather than concentrating on the fans and the footballing side. The problems started When Steve Lansdown stepped down as Chairman and handed the reigns to his boy. I said at the time things will change for the worse and thats whats happened.

The atmosphere in the stadium is poor, there is no entertainment at any time before the game half time or during the game. The food is poor and way over priced (same as Wembley) the ticket prices are too high for pay on the day punishing those that can make decisions on the day to attend.

Like a few have already said, I don't know who our board are and what they look like! People chat on twitter to David Gold, at least they get a response!

MM

Hi Dave,

You were brave to put a mirror up to the club... This thread shows sincerity and clarity from the supporters in response.

Of course the content is of real value to you, and how you move forward will be key.

Can I ask how you and the club will react to this thread and how you will keep the forum up to date on progress?

Good luck!

I think too much attention from the clubs board has been pumped in to the new stadium rather than concentrating on the fans and the footballing side. The problems started When Steve Lansdown stepped down as Chairman and handed the reigns to his boy. I said at the time things will change for the worse and thats whats happened.

The atmosphere in the stadium is poor, there is no entertainment at any time before the game half time or during the game. The food is poor and way over priced (same as Wembley) the ticket prices are too high for pay on the day punishing those that can make decisions on the day to attend.

Like a few have already said, I don't know who our board are and what they look like! People chat on twitter to David Gold, at least they get a response!

MM

The food has never been anything other than poor and overpriced has it?

MM

This is a VERY good post and just about sums it all up for me.

Cheers Mark

Of course, Mark, the first priority is the on-pitch performance, but it helps to get the little things right, as well. Peeing off the fans over the basics is not the way to get bums on seats, particularly when the team is playing so badly.

Many fans, myself included, see that as part of the Gap; not least because it seems that the club is determined to provide the worst possible value for the fans who are vital to its survival.

Sometimes I feel I'm supporting First Bus United - the customer care is almost on a par.

The food has never been anything other than poor and overpriced has it?

Absolutely and yet 30 years down the line (my number of years attending Ashton Gate) no one has done anything about it.

My opinion on the food is the kitchens are too small and they continue to cook the pies etc... during the first half as they seem 1% edible before kick off.

MM

Whilst I agree with what you say, I also feel "Pie-Gate" is insignificant with so much other stuff wrong at the moment...

Ask your self this:

Would you rather a decent Pie or a Chat with Albert ?

Had the club had great coms with us the fans then sure, lets get the pies sorted but I feel we need to set our sights higher in this thread than persuading Dave L to have a word about the Pies .

it is symptomatic of all of what is making the gulf between club and fans wider, run the club as a business (not just the catering, every single aspect of the club) by all means but FFS don't speak down to the fans with business man speak, it's belittling and is at the heart of everything that is wrong with our club, to be honest the club does not possess one PR person worthy of the name, somebody who understands business but can answer in fans speak and not business speak.

Because Mcinnes has made no attempt to unite the fans behind him and the team.

He is completely oblivious to the supporters and makes no attempt to rally everyone. It's no surprise the atmosphere in the ground is deadpan.

One thing that Gary Johnson was very good at was fan interaction.

The main reason there's a gap for me is not the pies or the club ripping fans off. It's the lack of passion from the club. The chairman never lets us know the boards opinion. Mcinnes just run straight down to the tunnel whether we've won or lost, never any thanks or apologies to the fans. And if the players showed even half the passion the fans do I'd be happy

Because Mcinnes has made no attempt to unite the fans behind him and the team.

He is completely oblivious to the supporters and makes no attempt to rally everyone. It's no surprise the atmosphere in the ground is deadpan.

One thing that Gary Johnson was very good at was fan interaction.

I hope I won't be misunderstood when I say this, but GJ was a world class bullshitter. No shame in that, so was Shankly and so is Ferguson. He made the players believe in themselves and the fans believe in the players. He took a barely adequate Championship team to the verge of the Prem.

I'm sure Del is a competent manager (yes, I am), but motivating the players is clearly not his strong suit, and motivating the fans is nowhere.

Combined with total disregard of the fans' well-being at the ground, is there any wonder that attendances and enthusiasm are dropping off?

As Supporter Liaison Officer, don't you think you should know the answer to this question?

Perhaps you are part of the problem rather than the solution. Where was your job advertised and how many were interviewed for it? When were you last in BS3 just before a game? You know, liaising with supporters....

Similarly, where was Jon Lansdowne's job advertised and who was interviewed for one of the most important jobs at City?

Having said that, at least I know Jon's name even if it's only because his father is the owner. I assume Jon still works for us. What do the other directors do? And are they planning on any type of communication with the "paying customer"?

Yes we all thought the 'jobs for the boys' mentality was on its way out with Alan Walsh departing then John Clayton etc

But the evidence today suggests otherwise:

Jon Lansdown

Pete Smith

Scott Murray

Dave Lloyd

Alex Russell

Contract renewal for Carey?

Are these all fully qualified people in the best suited roles possible?

Then and again I guess there is a flip side to the 'jobs for the boys' in that we know all the people listed above 'care' about the club and if anything should close the gap between supporters and the club. But they don't seem to be doing that, with Murray being the obvious excepton.

Seriously, if this is your attitude, then get the **** out of our club,

I already have as I agree completely with cityloyal473!!! I walked out early when we were losing 0-4 at home to an average Wolves side and despite being a s/t holder I have no intention at present of returning. I will not renew again. This is hardly a knee-jerk reaction after supporting City for nearly 40 years. Next season I am going to get a s/t for my local team Taunton Town. I hope that irrespective of their results watching lads playing because they love it for a few bob will rekindle my love for football.

As I've said all too many times at BCFC now, it is all Bentleys in the carpark and Trabants on the pitch. That gap for me and mine struggling is too big to bridge given the complete lack of commitment, fight and passion demonstrated repeatedly by young men who do not seem to have any identity with the club or the fans. Game Over!!

Archived