IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Carey 6

Meaning that those players each made individual contributions to the team. If any one of them stood out above the others it was Hartley and on his day ( too few of them ) Noble. I wouldn't put Lee Johnson in the same class as either of them. He was never the most valuable midfielder regardless of what you say.

I wonder how many of your 18,000 posts have the word "Johnson" in them? got to be 8000+ :D

Meaning that those players each made individual contributions to the team. If any one of them stood out above the others it was Hartley and on his day ( too few of them ) Noble. I wouldn't put Lee Johnson in the same class as either of them. He was never the most valuable midfielder regardless of what you say.

Look Robbo - no-one has ever suggested that he was the most valuable midfielder, but some of you seem intent on purveying him as the absolute worst player to ever play for City.

We all know that he is somewhere pretty much bang in-between that - in fact Keepers Grandad summed it up pretty well in post #249.

I think all that most of us want are the likes of yourself, NickJ and Bowie to just acknowledge the fact that he was decent enough for us when he was here - which really can't be denied as he was part of a successful team.

Praise the lord for the 2007/08 Marvin Elliott

and the rest of them, including Lee Johnson. It was a team that knew how to play together.

Someone mentioned on this thread or the other let's kick Johnson thread that it was a fluke season. How the hell do you fluke a 46 game season, oh and we gave it a go in the cup as well. Better than the useless wasters we've had down there since.

and the rest of them, including Lee Johnson. It was a team that knew how to play together.

Someone mentioned on this thread or the other let's kick Johnson thread that it was a fluke season. How the hell do you fluke a 46 game season, oh and we gave it a go in the cup as well. Better than the useless wasters we've had down there since.

+1 in goal difference and you reach the play off final..

Playing trundle and Noble when it mattered made the difference.

Elliott runned central midfield by himself that season.

You seem to want to make things up robbo. I never said that. I made the point his role in the greater team was important. You can rattle out individuals all you want, LJ was a better team player. And that is what you seem to ignore, he did the simple things well letting the likes of Elliott Mcindoe and the like, get on with what they did best.... he complimented them. I fail to see how you can completely ignore that fact, yet blabber on about individually better players! Yes we all know there are far better individuals, but that clearly isn't the point.

I think all that most of us want are the likes of yourself, NickJ and Bowie to just acknowledge the fact that he was decent enough for us when he was here - which really can't be denied as he was part of a successful team.

Why would we acknowledge that when he was selected ahead of better players - Hartley, Noble, Elliott, Sno, Skuse, Russell. Dare I say, Frankie Artus, who sat on the bench the entire game when we lost 1-0 home to Carlisle in the cup, while out on the pitch Johnson thought it was more important to have a verbal battle with our fans, with the play going on around him. Professional? Don't make me laugh.

What I find most interesting though is none of you have responded to the references by myself and a couple of others to the incident at Leyton Orient. The so called model professional giving his own supporters, the people that pay his wages, an abusive gesture. Was that ok?

I personally think its inconceivable that had it been any other player, or any other manager, LJ would never again have played another game for Bristol City.

There aren't enough Peronis in Rimini for you to change my mind on that one Harry.

Should Saint NickJ sit through several years of barracking due to 'nepotism', ironic cheers when substituted and getting taken a swing at by a fan of your own club and take it with such good grace as he expects others to then he are a better man than I (having read many of his posts I hope he isn't). You are however far from a saint and resort to making random assumptions on no factual ground "LJ would never again have played another game for Bristol City" to back up your own point. Give it a rest ffs

Why would we acknowledge that when he was selected ahead of better players - Hartley, Noble, Elliott, Sno, Skuse, Russell. Dare I say, Frankie Artus, who sat on the bench the entire game when we lost 1-0 home to Carlisle in the cup, while out on the pitch Johnson thought it was more important to have a verbal battle with our fans, with the play going on around him. Professional? Don't make me laugh.

What I find most interesting though is none of you have responded to the references by myself and a couple of others to the incident at Leyton Orient. The so called model professional giving his own supporters, the people that pay his wages, an abusive gesture. Was that ok?

I personally think its inconceivable that had it been any other player, or any other manager, LJ would never again have played another game for Bristol City.

There aren't enough Peronis in Rimini for you to change my mind on that one Harry.

Skuse and artus better than johnson don't make me laugh

Artus? take a long look at yourself. LJ complemented our team and our form dropped when he got injured. Not to say we were a one man team, just a vital part of the TEAM. Why have grown men got such an obsessive hatred to LJ? Its not healthy.

Artus? take a long look at yourself. LJ complemented our team and our form dropped when he got injured. Not to say we were a one man team, just a vital part of the TEAM. Why have grown men got such an obsessive hatred to LJ? Its not healthy.

We all have players we don't rate unfortunately some people think their the gospel

I also think he was a shite footballer and a bottler.

Why would that be a moronic statement?

Lee Johnson was a very competant footballer at championship level....he had a good first touch, he could pick a pass, he could deliver a decent dead ball, he always looked to retain posession even if it meant passing backwards or sideways (something the majority of our fan base cant grasp as something that needs to happen to retain posession), he always looked for the ball, never shyed away from wanting to get on the ball (despite the hate mob giving him belters during the game).

Ok he didnt have a physical presence but that was not what he was in the team for, he made the most of what he had, he couldnt win headers, he wasnt strong in the tackle but i would by no means say he is a bottler.

So yes i stand by my comment that it is a mornic statement. Have you played football before?

We had our most succesful seasons at this level with Lee Johnson in the heart of our midfield

Lee Johnson was a very competant footballer at championship level....he had a good first touch, he could pick a pass, he could deliver a decent dead ball, he always looked to retain posession even if it meant passing backwards or sideways (something the majority of our fan base cant grasp as something that needs to happen to retain posession), he always looked for the ball, never shyed away from wanting to get on the ball (despite the hate mob giving him belters during the game).

Ok he didnt have a physical presence but that was not what he was in the team for, he made the most of what he had, he couldnt win headers, he wasnt strong in the tackle but i would by no means say he is a bottler.

So yes i stand by my comment that it is a mornic statement. Have you played football before?

We had our most succesful seasons at this level with Lee Johnson in the heart of our midfield

Spot on. Some fans fustrate me with their lack of understanding to a players role in the team. The same people who slate Stead for not scoring enough goals.

Spot on. Some fans fustrate me with their lack of understanding to a players role in the team. The same people who slate Stead for not scoring enough goals.

Exactly mate, the fans used to get on Lee's back if he misplaced a pass, what they dont understand is that he was the player who probably had more touches of the football than any players on the pitch in our first 2 seasons at this level which meant that there was more chances of him giving the ball away if he tried to pick a pass out.....i thought he was a very intelligent footballer and technically very good. He wasnt on the same level as Hartley who is probably the most competant player we have had in midfield at this level but nonetheless he always tried to keep us ticking over and buzzing when he was on the ball.

Regarding your comment on Stead, i posted at the start of the season that i believe he should be the first name on the sheet when fit. He is experienced and also holds the ball brilliantly and can bring other into play with his linking up....a few stated that they thought Taylor was the better target man....no chance stead all the way for me, and he can chip in the odd goal as well. A player of his kind should aim for 10 goals a season but provide the right support to your goalscorer, i think he has tried to do that admirably this season

Exactly mate, the fans used to get on Lee's back if he misplaced a pass, what they dont understand is that he was the player who probably had more touches of the football than any players on the pitch in our first 2 seasons at this level which meant that there was more chances of him giving the ball away if he tried to pick a pass out.....i thought he was a very intelligent footballer and technically very good. He wasnt on the same level as Hartley who is probably the most competant player we have had in midfield at this level but nonetheless he always tried to keep us ticking over and buzzing when he was on the ball.

Regarding your comment on Stead, i posted at the start of the season that i believe he should be the first name on the sheet when fit. He is experienced and also holds the ball brilliantly and can bring other into play with his linking up....a few stated that they thought Taylor was the better target man....no chance stead all the way for me, and he can chip in the odd goal as well. A player of his kind should aim for 10 goals a season but provide the right support to your goalscorer, i think he has tried to do that admirably this season

Spot on

Love the bottling tackle thing to he use to tackle I remember one he sprinted 40 yards to make on the edge of our box

Johnson was there to keep the ball moving and Elliot was there to win headers and tackle it worked extremely well,

Our midfield rarely got overran then like it does today because each player had a clear job and understood it

No, but those of us who understand football know that little Lee made a significant contribution to our midfield.

Look Robbo - no-one has ever suggested that he was the most valuable midfielder, but some of you seem intent on purveying him as the absolute worst player to ever play for City.

He wasn't the worst by a long chalk but at the same time nor was he the dynamo some on here seem to think he was. He was an average Div 1 player but not talented enough for the Championship. He was far too lightweight and got out muscled almost every game. I agree with NickJ that had his dad not been the manager he wouldn't have got a quarter of the starts he got at City. You only have to look at starts under other managers to realise that.

If you care to look back through the forum archives you'll find literally dozens of threads about nepotism and how Lee Johnson benefited.

As I said before I met LJ a few times and he was a top bloke and I hope he does well in his managerial career.

He wasn't the worst by a long chalk but at the same time nor was he the dynamo some on here seem to think he was. He was an average Div 1 player but not talented enough for the Championship. He was far too lightweight and got out muscled almost every game. I agree with NickJ that had his dad not been the manager he wouldn't have got a quarter of the starts he got at City. You only have to look at starts under other managers to realise that.

If you care to look back through the forum archives you'll find literally dozens of threads about nepotism and how Lee Johnson benefited.

As I said before I met LJ a few times and he was a top bloke and I hope he does well in his managerial career.

I'm not sure anyone's ever suggested he was a football dynamo. It's merely a question of respect for a player who played a large number of games in a successful period. That's all.

Funnily enough your description matches what many on here think about Cole Skuse and we all know how you're likely to react to that suggestion.

Still hopefully, one day, the rest of the forum can match your giddy heights of football expertise and critical reasoning.

I'm not sure anyone's ever suggested he was a football dynamo. It's merely a question of respect for a player who played a large number of games in a successful period. That's all.

Funnily enough your description matches what many on here think about Cole Skuse and we all know how you're likely to react to that suggestion.

Still hopefully, one day, the rest of the forum can match your giddy heights of football expertise and critical reasoning.

Agreed and the reaction especially from the guy who vilifies LJ and then claims the moral high ground in his defence of Skuse.

Has anyone else noticed that the most voiciferously critical posters of Skuse are the most 'pro Johnson' and equally the loudest 'pro Skuse' posters are the most 'anti-Johnson'

Odd.

I like them both,

and me, but can see the failings in both............................

Agreed and the reaction especially from the guy who vilifies LJ and then claims the moral high ground in his defence of Skuse.

and me, but can see the failings in both............................

Aye, course there are failings! Trouble is, people look at a complete package midfielder and want our midfielders to do that, where in reality at this level they do specific jobs that suit their strengths. I think if we accepted that Skuse won't score and Johnson won't tackle and appreciated their role more we'd be better placed to judge their contributions.

Archived