IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Carey 6

Aye, course there are failings! Trouble is, people look at a complete package midfielder and want our midfielders to do that, where in reality at this level they do specific jobs that suit their strengths. I think if we accepted that Skuse won't score and Johnson won't tackle and appreciated their role more we'd be better placed to judge their contributions.

and precious few assists.

He wasn't the worst by a long chalk but at the same time nor was he the dynamo some on here seem to think he was. He was an average Div 1 player but not talented enough for the Championship. He was far too lightweight and got out muscled almost every game. I agree with NickJ that had his dad not been the manager he wouldn't have got a quarter of the starts he got at City. You only have to look at starts under other managers to realise that.

If you care to look back through the forum archives you'll find literally dozens of threads about nepotism and how Lee Johnson benefited.

As I said before I met LJ a few times and he was a top bloke and I hope he does well in his managerial career.

Average div 1 player and the fact you agree with Nick J, suggest to me you clearly are not a football man

and precious few assists.

True as well, but lots of assist assists if that makes sense?

He's the player we can rely on to spread the play, put his foot on the ball in a congested midfield and have the composure to whip it wide to the full back and create an opening.

Skuse is our pivot, if we're attacking down the flank he's usually the man who's switched the play and that's an aspect of the game that gets missed to readily in my opinion.

Skuse is your scrum half, he's at the break down in play to pick up the ball and dictate the direction we're going to be going with a short calm pass.

I personally think that role is a must, and it was something that LJ did very well for two seasons.

True as well, but lots of assist assists if that makes sense?

He's the player we can rely on to spread the play, put his foot on the ball in a congested midfield and have the composure to whip it wide to the full back and create an opening.

Skuse is our pivot, if we're attacking down the flank he's usually the man who's switched the play and that's an aspect of the game that gets missed to readily in my opinion.

Skuse is your scrum half, he's at the break down in play to pick up the ball and dictate the direction we're going to be going with a short calm pass.

I personally think that role is a must, and it was something that LJ did very well for two seasons.

You must be forgetting that LJ played many many times with Skuse. I doubt they were doing the same job.

You must be forgetting that LJ played many many times with Skuse. I doubt they were doing the same job.

Again, that's true. However Cole's game has altered massively, when he first broke through I thought him to be a tackler, a cruncher and a defensive player. As he has grown he has become more of a cultured player in my eyes, looking for passes and ball retention rather than going about the hard graft he used to do.

Unlike others I don't see that as a bad thing, the role he is asked to play now is much different to one he was asked to play under Tinnion, Johnson and Millen.

He wasn't the worst by a long chalk but at the same time nor was he the dynamo some on here seem to think he was. He was an average Div 1 player but not talented enough for the Championship. He was far too lightweight and got out muscled almost every game. I agree with NickJ that had his dad not been the manager he wouldn't have got a quarter of the starts he got at City. You only have to look at starts under other managers to realise that.

If you care to look back through the forum archives you'll find literally dozens of threads about nepotism and how Lee Johnson benefited.

As I said before I met LJ a few times and he was a top bloke and I hope he does well in his managerial career.

Who ever said he was a football dynamo? You jump to conclusions to make a argument out of it and then always make yourself look silly by doing that. LJ was never a great player, but he was a good team player in a successful team. Nobody can deny that, not even you Robbo. He was a good servant to the club, he was part of the most successful side for 20/30 years and he always gave 100%. I wish him all the best in the future!

If Lee Johnson was called Lee Jones, he wouldn't have got half the stick he got from the AG crowd.

Personally I liked him as a footballer and I always assumed his size put him off the physical side of the game, which would be fair enough.

Good luck to him as a manager - brave move at his age. However he must have stood out to the Oldham Chairman for a reason, so hopefully that will stand him in good stead for his managerial career.

Archived