IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Carey 6

Looks like the application has been successful. Amazing, but anyway, you have to ask the question, why would anyone so young want to become a manager.....

Because the opportunity has come along ???

Why don't you get it ? He could play lower league footbsll for the next 3 years or so or become manager and potentially manage for the next 25 years . Great opportunity for him Best of luck lee

You'd think LJ was re-signing for us the way some people are bickering on about what he did or didn't do.

Was very surprised to hear LJ to manage at such a early age but not surprised he is a manager.It'll be a tough first job with a very short period to impress but fair play to him.

Came across very well in the interview on the BBC, Good Luck LJ.

I'd have probably played as many games as him if my dad was a football manager, His daddy gave him a career.

Without his father being a football manager he'd have barely played a league game outside of Scotland.

31 couldn't find a professional club to play for, Sums it up really

Totally professional - ha ha!!! Comical - Leyton Orient away wasn't it when he gave the City fans the Finger! Hardly professional.

Yes I was there it was Leyton Orient away.

Lee Johnson will have the benefit of having his father as another manager. He'll have learned plenty from him having played under him at Yeovil and at City especially what not to do when your the boss.

Yes, don't get a team promoted as the arrogant fans will get above their station. A team that was in the league for about a decade.

If he's as good a 'conference manager' as his dad then he'll be happy.

Hey Nick,

Best of luck to the bloke. He clearly has done a lot to prepare himself for such a role, and no matter what you thought of him as a player at BCFC, I think it's harsh of you to doubt the work he's put into his future career.

Harry,

Most of the Oldham fans think their chairman is a bit simple and have expressed incredulity. LJ won't be the first to have blagged an interview, full marks to him for identifying the opportunity. I watched the press conference, apparently he spent the last 8-10 years globe trotting the world immersing himself, AVB-esque, in different football cultures. Certainly explains the lack of contribution at Ashton Gate.

I see Mrs J is on the Oldham forum already masquerading as a Bristol City supporter.

Looking forward to educating you in San Marino. :laugh:!

Lee Johnson will have the benefit of having his father as another manager. He'll have learned plenty from him having played under him at Yeovil and at City especially what not to do when your the boss.

:w00t: Hahahahahahaha! Yes indeed, what a rotten job Gary did at City and Yeovil. And he's doing a terrible job there now too. What is it, 6th in the league just outside the automatic promotion places? A promotion from League One with City and 90 minutes from the Premier League.

I know you're fishing, but seriously, your vendetta against our most successful manager of the last 30 years us nothing short of laughable.

Presumably what not to do will include letting a conniving little gossip monger get away with lying about his online comments whilst leading the "supporters" club?

Here fishy fishy!

I can never believe the retrospective Lee Johnson love that surfaces on this forum from time-to-time.

He wasn't awful, he played a neat ball when under no pressure, even scored once in a blue moon, but he had the defensive capabilities of a cardboard cut-out and if he felt under any sort of pressure, he kicked the ball away as if it was an unexploded grenade. Anywhere.

From what I've read, he is a smart, impeccably professional and personable guy, so I'm certainly not an "LJ hater".

I just don't think he was that good - as his subsequent career trajectory suggests.

None of my above observations has any bearing on how good a manager he might make. That simply is an unknown.

Sorry , bloke was average player, not championship class and overrated. Would not have been anywhere near Ist team had his daddy not been in charge, he will mark my words fail at this job inside a year!!

:doh:

Of course, he only got this job because his dad.........................................................................................um.....................................................................um......!!! :dunno:

This place really is a depressing place sometimes, The guy has just got given a manager job at the age of 31. That is some achievement. He must have something about him. He always impressed me in his interviews. He has a very good knowledge of the game. I think when he was with us he was almost always available. Looked after his self off of the pitch. Conducted himself in the right manner and is well respected by his peers because of his attitude and dedication. Something tells me he is going to be a success and I wouldn't be surprised to see him down here one day. He is highly thought of by the staff and owners.

Would it really hurt some people to just come on here and say well done to him? Why the need to put him down when it has zilch to do with us? Forgetting about his footballing ability he is a genuine nice chap and really doesn't deserve all this chap. I wish more footballers were like him.

I find it unbelievable that Lee Johnson has got this job.

When you consider the football knowledge and experience of many of the posters on here, not to mention their contacts within the game, it's quite remarkable that they have all been overlooked!

I can never believe the retrospective Lee Johnson love that surfaces on this forum from time-to-time.

He wasn't awful, he played a neat ball when under no pressure, even scored once in a blue moon, but he had the defensive capabilities of a cardboard cut-out and if he felt under any sort of pressure, he kicked the ball away as if it was an unexploded grenade. Anywhere.

From what I've read, he is a smart, impeccably professional and personable guy, so I'm certainly not an "LJ hater".

I just don't think he was that good - as his subsequent career trajectory suggests.

None of my above observations has any bearing on how good a manager he might make. That simply is an unknown.

Sounds like the midfield at BCFC after he left and up until SOD took over, although they reverted back to type 2nd half home to Barnsley and 2nd half away to Wolves.

Sounds like the midfield at BCFC after he left and up until SOD took over, although they reverted back to type 2nd half home to Barnsley and 2nd half away to Wolves.

Little Lee and Kilkenny do share various similarities, it's true, but NK gets top marks for consistently pointing at players we should be marking - and he isn't.

Looks like he is starting off with a good Q and A session last night - this is shamelessly stolen from their forum - its quite an interesting read

Lee Johnson

Will you be in charge Tuesday night?
LJ: Yes, today training was nice and bright, there’s plenty to work on I’ve seen enough of us over the last couple of weeks in preparing for my interview to know things aren’t right. There’s going to be tweaks here and there but not divulging too much. Interesting that I looked up a player’s stats from the best period in his career compared to now and he is half the player in terms of sheer effort, that needs to improve quickly.

Are you intending to get your boots on?
LJ: No, I’m probably going to register for the reserves so I can keep a close eye on the youngsters and help bring them on.

If the club are relegated, do you have a mandate to take us forward?
Yes, I know my budget for next season. I can’t say we won’t go down, what I will say is we will have a right good go, playing the right way. I tell you now, I am convinced that when my contract is due for renewal we will be in a better position than when we arrived.

How do you think you can win over our famously fickle and underachieving dressing room?
They either want to be professional footballers or not. Some of our squad like being pros but don’t have the desire or application in their game, this will change. Believe me, you will see an improvement, they are all playing for their futures.

We are a team of pussycats, devoid of leadership, where’s the impetus for survival going to come from?
I keep stats on every player, Jonathon Grounds I know well, the lads a leader but it seems to have been driven from him. This will change and quickly, he’s better than this level and we have to get him back there. I want snappier play, I want communication and I want winners out there.

How do you want to set up Oldham Athletic to play?
LJ: Football on the deck, passing at a high temp, good pro-active attitude. Ball down the flanks, pace up front, plenty of crosses and real footballers in centre-midfield. Biggest bug bear I have seen is players not getting beyond down the flanks and in the middle. Central to my plans will be pace on the flanks and up top, hit teams hard and fast.

The squad

LJ: Lack of pace and fitness I believe is a big issue, don’t create enough chances, don’t take enough chances either goalscoring or otherwise. Way too rigid. No tempo, zero desire to get in behind. The dynamic of the whole team needs tweaking. You’ll see us set up different tomorrow night. I made Jose Baxter take 10 penalties today, he slipped on his arse on one, missed another and scored the other 8, he didn’t chip one!

Also considering fines for wrong footwear ie mouldeds on slippy heavy pitches. Unreal how often our players slip (hooray!!!)

Teams get in behind us too easily, back line like a crooked dog’s leg. Need to be one line and straight. Unsure how players will react to Saturday’s slating.

more bits from their forum

He's very articulate (though he does sound a bit like Beckham) and his qualifications are impressive.

He's a real bullet point summary - but im sure the others will fill in & around:

• Very well qualified in terms of badges. Was fast tracked at the FA, hold all the badges, and has taken courses in leadership and sports science
  • Has actually watched out last 6 games and was very honest with his assessments of our current form and players
  • Has bucket loads of contacts - from direct family members all in the game; to friends at PL clubs and players in different countries.
  • He basically signed Korey Smith - after passing on the recommendation to SC even before he got the job!
  • Wants to bring in 1 or 2 more; and SC will give him the funds to do so.
  • At the moment, he'll have no Number 2 - but he has a short list of 3. The one he wants is at another club so will have to wait till summer for him. Happy to work with TP, PG & Byrne and Murray until then if needs be.
  • He has plans for how to set up the current players. There will be changes tomorrow night; someone is playing in a different role "for te team".
  • He's had a meet with 6 players today; the rest tomorrow. Some home truths spoken already.
  • He see's it as a project and he WILL leave the club in a better position than it currently is - his firm words.
  • He ruined the fitness of the side - said he'll do his best to get them up to speed as quick as poss but he'll have to initially set up to cater for the fact that we're "really an unfit side"
  • Players are good enough on the face of it. His job is o get them to believe that.
  • Really engaging and positive chap - impressed in him.
  • Simon went on a bit of rant for a while - i think he was set for a bit of scrap that wasnt our aim - and once he realised that, calmed down.
  • He filled in some more details on Furman, Matt Smith (who is definitely off to the Championship) and of the x2 trailists from the last 2 pre-seasons.

Archived