IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Carey 6

I can never believe the retrospective Lee Johnson love that surfaces on this forum from time-to-time.

He wasn't awful, he played a neat ball when under no pressure, even scored once in a blue moon, but he had the defensive capabilities of a cardboard cut-out and if he felt under any sort of pressure, he kicked the ball away as if it was an unexploded grenade. Anywhere.

From what I've read, he is a smart, impeccably professional and personable guy, so I'm certainly not an "LJ hater".

I just don't think he was that good - as his subsequent career trajectory suggests.

None of my above observations has any bearing on how good a manager he might make. That simply is an unknown.

Agreed. Nothing exceptional about him as a player as you say. Never shirked from getting the ball good workrate and I suppose a few goals. Behaved very well despite the stick he got here being bomb-proof from being dropped.

As a bloke he seems a nice guy, very switched on and very professional. Very best of luck to him.

Yes I was there it was Leyton Orient away.

It was indeed. When he was subbed. I still believe the crowds anger was aimed at GJ who set us up to defend when Orient were on a terrible run near the bottom and we surrendered the initiative after taking a lead.

Errrr where have I heard that before?

he wants a number two, who is currently at another club...

could he be looking at alex russel? who else might he know from here, who is now in coachign, or may be moving into it...? carey?

or someone from one of his other clubs...or his dad?!

he wants a number two, who is currently at another club...

could he be looking at alex russel? who else might he know from here, who is now in coachign, or may be moving into it...? carey?

or someone from one of his other clubs...or his dad?!

Maybe he will do his utmost to try and get Scotty Murray as his No' 2, i personally don't think Lee Johnson has the same discipline as Gary. He comes across as 'too nice' to me but that is not to say he won't be a good manager. Look at SOD, he's a tactician not a dictator.

It was indeed. When he was subbed. I still believe the crowds anger was aimed at GJ who set us up to defend when Orient were on a terrible run near the bottom and we surrendered the initiative after taking a lead.

The score was 1-1 at the time and although LJ had scored, he was having a shocker. He was subbed for Noble, I think many City fans thought he should have started in the first place and the substitution was met with ironic cheers.

Of all the hundreds/thousands of substitutions I've witnessed, never seen LJ's response before or since.

• Admin

Certainly a VERY brave move by the Oldham board

Appointing an unproven Manager, who has never managed a club before.

It's amazing from a footballing perspective that he was there preferred choice

Certainly wish the lad well, but unless he hits the ground running the short term is going to be a very hard job.

I wonder how understanding the crowd will be with his style of football?

You couldn't post without making a sly dig at Gary could you?

The point I was making that Lee Johnson will learn how to handle 'big' players ( should he ever come across any) and that he'll have learnt that being a bully not only gets you nowhere but quickly loses the respect of the players and results go down hill. He'll also have learnt that using the loan market inappropriately also gets you nowhere and de-stablises the squad as does blaming the players for poor performances..

Hopefully Lee will have learnt that getting 1-0 up and hanging on rather than trying to kill the game also doesn't work very often.

The point I was making that Lee Johnson will learn how to handle 'big' players ( should he ever come across any) and that he'll have learnt that being a bully not only gets you nowhere but quickly loses the respect of the players and results go down hill. He'll also have learnt that using the loan market inappropriately also gets you nowhere and de-stablises the squad as does blaming the players for poor performances..

Hopefully Lee will have learnt that getting 1-0 up and hanging on rather than trying to kill the game also doesn't work very often.

A problem sadly still inherent at our beloved club, judging by last saturday.

The score was 1-1 at the time and although LJ had scored, he was having a shocker. He was subbed for Noble, I think many City fans thought he should have started in the first place and the substitution was met with ironic cheers.

Of all the hundreds/thousands of substitutions I've witnessed, never seen LJ's response before or since.

never seen ian Baird Mario at man city, ronaldo at man u, and the countless other players who have reacted badly to being subbed, anyway I though his dad never subbed or dropped him

A problem sadly still inherent at our beloved club, judging by last saturday.

It's not just a common problem at our club , it can be seen throughout football. But to listen to Robbored , you'd think GJ invented it !!

It's not just a common problem at our club , it can be seen throughout football. But to listen to Robbored , you'd think GJ invented it !!

I agree totally and it probably says more about the pressure managers are under than anything revealing about the manager themselves and that is another sad fact about modern football.

never seen ian Baird Mario at man city, ronaldo at man u, and the countless other players who have reacted badly to being subbed, anyway I though his dad never subbed or dropped him

Correct, I never saw Ian Baird. I dont claim to have watched every game City ever played. Would be a daft claim to make, as I haven't. But I've seen lots.

As I say, of all the substitutions I've witnessed, I've never seen any City player other than LJ give their own fans an abusive gesture.

Can't remember when Dan? I do remember being 2, 3 and 4 nil up regularly though. Let's not dwell on the Play-Off final before you mention it..... I also remember John Ward at home to Bournemouth. I hate those tactics.

Danny Wilson played with totally negative tactics when playing Brighton at home towards the end of the play off disaster, ending in a 0-0 only about 6 weeks after dicking them 4-0 away and that is when when any chance of automatic promotion fell by the wayside.

Maybe Lee has learnt from his Dad how to handle a bitter old keyboard warrior/chairman of the supporters club and how to embarrass a confession out of them when asking them into his office for a friendly conversation about why they post such drivel?

Can't remember when Dan? I do remember being 2, 3 and 4 nil up regularly though. Let's not dwell on the Play-Off final before you mention it..... I also remember John Ward at home to Bournemouth. I hate those tactics.

Most of the 03-04 season, including that run of 12 wins, 8 of which were by a single goal and 4 were 1-0. That season also saw 7 1-1 draws in which we'd been in front and conceded.

Wilson's earlier sides were more exciting, I'll grant you that, though they lost 4-0 as often as they won. By the end, though, he'd become extremely dour and negative in his tactics.

Most of the 03-04 season, including that run of 12 wins, 8 of which were by a single goal and 4 were 1-0. That season also saw 7 1-1 draws in which we'd been in front and conceded.

Wilson's earlier sides were more exciting, I'll grant you that, though they lost 4-0 as often as they won. By the end, though, he'd become extremely dour and negative in his tactics.

Well winning by a single goal might just prove that if you keep attacking you don't let the opposition get near your own goal!

Once I remember and that was a crucial game when the importance of the final obviously affected Wilson's thinking.

it might interest you to know that from the middle of february to the end of the season during the run in for Wilson's Cardiff play off surrender, we played 15 games and only managed to score more than 1 goal twice and managed to lose one of those games, 6 wins, (5 at 1-0 and 1 at 2-1), 6 defeats and 3 draws, we scored 12 goals and conceded 14. So actually Wilson had set out his stall way before the play off final, ah memories eh.

Harry,

Most of the Oldham fans think their chairman is a bit simple and have expressed incredulity. LJ won't be the first to have blagged an interview, full marks to him for identifying the opportunity. I watched the press conference, apparently he spent the last 8-10 years globe trotting the world immersing himself, AVB-esque, in different football cultures. Certainly explains the lack of contribution at Ashton Gate.

I see Mrs J is on the Oldham forum already masquerading as a Bristol City supporter.

Looking forward to educating you in San Marino. :laugh:!

Ha ha, looking forward to it too Nick. Should be a good trip.

:englandsmile4wf:

Though I don't think either of us will :surrender: , ha ha.

Be fair, that's anyone over 5ft 5 for him....

Looks like he is starting off with a good Q and A session last night - this is shamelessly stolen from their forum - its quite an interesting read

Lee Johnson

Will you be in charge Tuesday night?

LJ: Yes, today training was nice and bright, there’s plenty to work on I’ve seen enough of us over the last couple of weeks in preparing for my interview to know things aren’t right. There’s going to be tweaks here and there but not divulging too much. Interesting that I looked up a player’s stats from the best period in his career compared to now and he is half the player in terms of sheer effort, that needs to improve quickly.

Are you intending to get your boots on?

LJ: No, I’m probably going to register for the reserves so I can keep a close eye on the youngsters and help bring them on.

If the club are relegated, do you have a mandate to take us forward?

Yes, I know my budget for next season. I can’t say we won’t go down, what I will say is we will have a right good go, playing the right way. I tell you now, I am convinced that when my contract is due for renewal we will be in a better position than when we arrived.

How do you think you can win over our famously fickle and underachieving dressing room?

They either want to be professional footballers or not. Some of our squad like being pros but don’t have the desire or application in their game, this will change. Believe me, you will see an improvement, they are all playing for their futures.

We are a team of pussycats, devoid of leadership, where’s the impetus for survival going to come from?

I keep stats on every player, Jonathon Grounds I know well, the lads a leader but it seems to have been driven from him. This will change and quickly, he’s better than this level and we have to get him back there. I want snappier play, I want communication and I want winners out there.

How do you want to set up Oldham Athletic to play?

LJ: Football on the deck, passing at a high temp, good pro-active attitude. Ball down the flanks, pace up front, plenty of crosses and real footballers in centre-midfield. Biggest bug bear I have seen is players not getting beyond down the flanks and in the middle. Central to my plans will be pace on the flanks and up top, hit teams hard and fast.

The squad

LJ: Lack of pace and fitness I believe is a big issue, don’t create enough chances, don’t take enough chances either goalscoring or otherwise. Way too rigid. No tempo, zero desire to get in behind. The dynamic of the whole team needs tweaking. You’ll see us set up different tomorrow night. I made Jose Baxter take 10 penalties today, he slipped on his arse on one, missed another and scored the other 8, he didn’t chip one!

Also considering fines for wrong footwear ie mouldeds on slippy heavy pitches. Unreal how often our players slip (hooray!!!)

Teams get in behind us too easily, back line like a crooked dog’s leg. Need to be one line and straight. Unsure how players will react to Saturday’s slating.

more bits from their forum

He's very articulate (though he does sound a bit like Beckham) and his qualifications are impressive.

He's a real bullet point summary - but im sure the others will fill in & around:

• Very well qualified in terms of badges. Was fast tracked at the FA, hold all the badges, and has taken courses in leadership and sports science
  • Has actually watched out last 6 games and was very honest with his assessments of our current form and players
  • Has bucket loads of contacts - from direct family members all in the game; to friends at PL clubs and players in different countries.
  • He basically signed Korey Smith - after passing on the recommendation to SC even before he got the job!
  • Wants to bring in 1 or 2 more; and SC will give him the funds to do so.
  • At the moment, he'll have no Number 2 - but he has a short list of 3. The one he wants is at another club so will have to wait till summer for him. Happy to work with TP, PG & Byrne and Murray until then if needs be.
  • He has plans for how to set up the current players. There will be changes tomorrow night; someone is playing in a different role "for te team".
  • He's had a meet with 6 players today; the rest tomorrow. Some home truths spoken already.
  • He see's it as a project and he WILL leave the club in a better position than it currently is - his firm words.
  • He ruined the fitness of the side - said he'll do his best to get them up to speed as quick as poss but he'll have to initially set up to cater for the fact that we're "really an unfit side"
  • Players are good enough on the face of it. His job is o get them to believe that.
  • Really engaging and positive chap - impressed in him.
  • Simon went on a bit of rant for a while - i think he was set for a bit of scrap that wasnt our aim - and once he realised that, calmed down.
  • He filled in some more details on Furman, Matt Smith (who is definitely off to the Championship) and of the x2 trailists from the last 2 pre-seasons.

Wonder who to, hopefully us.

Archived