IGNORED

The Ashes 2013

Lew-T

Ashes retained though battinjg through most of the last day to a hard fought draw would have been more satisfying!

Few thoughts:

1) If not for rain, very good chance we'd have lost- they were all over us at times this Test.

2) These things are always hugely hard to judge but I did wonder on 2nd day if Aus should have tried to plough onto 600. That'd bring more scoreboard pressure and a bigger target to avoid follow on- given the weather that oddly could have been a very useful option for them. They could have got a 200+ 1st Innings lead then gone all out- would we have survived with another 30 odd overs in yesterday to bat? Given today, no means certain but quite possible all the same.

3) Had Aus had a good spinner we may well have lost this game even allowing for their rain- thought Harris and Siddle were magnificent in both Innings all in all, Starc had his moments too but less class- but no way they could do it all themselves basically given time, if they had a spinner as good as Swann we'd have been in a hell of a lot more trouble I think.

4) In Australia, if they have any sense they'll produce a number of wickets like this one. That, combined with home advantage etc will challenge us more still.

We'll definitely win this series but over there may be a different story.

Our batting from the top order has been very negative and sub par in the last 3 innings (except Pietersens bludgeoning 100)

It needs looking at maybe Root to move down the order in bairstows place and someone else to open. If I was betting now I would bet on the Aussies to win the next series.

It needs looking at maybe Root to move down the order in bairstows place and someone else to open. If I was betting now I would bet on the Aussies to win the next series.

I would agree with that pal, the last test they looked a lot hungrier and well better than us. I know they had nothing to lose in that last test but without the gods smiling on us it would be 2-1. In this test on what was deemed a good batting wicket by both Cook and Clarke, England struggled.

Wonder if Compton will be brought in? Might give Cook more freedom to play his shots.

Was talking about this down the pub this evening

Root needs to come in at 6

drop bairstow No way is he test class

Need an opening bat to open the innings Not sure who

Compton is NOT the answer

The decision not to play Onions was farcical, there's a reason why he takes wickets and Broads shown that reason.

In all fairness to Bresnan, with the series won and the pressure I feel he's been under, I would have rested Andersen and kept Bres in there.

Andersen looks like he needs a rest, undoubtedly a class act but let's get him hungry and fresh for Oz, a series I think we will end up losing quite comfortably!

Archived