IGNORED

The Ashes 2013

Lew-T

Read a few tweets about Brtoad being denied a visa this winter, surely bollocks though.

More realistically, he'll truly cop it MCG Boxing Day- near enough 100,000 people shouting abuse is a lot.

Yes, but he'll get that anyway. Or would it all be sweetness and light if he had walked?

Only played since 1978 so not much really. I've never seen anyone not walk when hitting to slip.

Probably true, but in thirty years umpiring, I never saw a player on single figures walk on a fine nick if he thought that I'd missed it.

Probably true, but in thirty years umpiring, I never saw a player on single figures walk on a fine nick if he thought that I'd missed it.

I've played in B&D, Alliance and now WEPL and it's true there are those with a reputation for not walking but Broad's was just too obvious ! Anyway I think he's a cheat, won't change my mind and am obviously in a minority of one !

FFS you can't compare the two ! I've not walked when not sure, I assure you it can happen.

I'm just asking the question Eco. I'm not getting at you. Hadden knew he snicked it. He turned and looked at prior then kept his head down after. It was only a feather edge I accept. Broads was a thick edge into the keepers gloves that deflected onto slip.

I'm just asking your opinion. Are they both cheats for not walking? I'm not being sarcastic in my question

Even Glenn McGrath on tms said Hadden knew he snicked it. He looked around to prior then kept his head down waiting for the decision. That was mcgraths words

Of course, if Haddin knew he snicked it he's also a cheat.

Putting sportsmanship, spirit of game aside etc- had Haddin not looked behind but instead stood there impassive might he have got away with it a'la Broad do we think?

Series wise, always thought it'd be close- Australia are stiill Australia, transition or not.

Broad got away with it because the Aussies ran out of reviews. I went up straight away on the hadden one. You could hear the snick from the stump camera/microphone.

Read a few tweets about Brtoad being denied a visa this winter, surely bollocks though.

More realistically, he'll truly cop it MCG Boxing Day- near enough 100,000 people shouting abuse is a lot.

5000 English fans will get behind him!!

Broad is a brat, it's pretty well known in cricket, I actually think he thrives on this kind if thing.

All those giving him stuck remember that the majority of Aussies would never ever walk, it's the umpires decision, that's the way they've been brought up, so I have no problem in broad not walking and neither did the Australians, yet some on here talk about the spirit of cricket.

Geoffrey Boycott summed it up perfectly for me on TMS when speaking to Aggers, he put a good argument across that the spirit of cricket only works when EVERYONE plays by the same rules and that will never happen, especially when the Aussies are brought up to NEVER walk, as it's the umpires decision to give you out, it may be wrong but it's the way it is, not one Aussie pundit or player could say they wouldn't have done what Broad did.

On a side note, there's no way this will be 5-0, the Aussies can and will bat a lot better at Lords they just need to sort out the order, in 5 years time they will have a great team.

Have to admit i have always liked Michael Clarke, he is obviously the only World Class player the Aussies have but his reaction during and after this test was first class. I liked the way he laughed about his poor use of the DRS. You can see why he is a lot popular than Ponting ever was.

Have to admit i have always liked Michael Clarke, he is obviously the only World Class player the Aussies have but his reaction during and after this test was first class. I liked the way he laughed about his poor use of the DRS. You can see why he is a lot popular than Ponting ever was.

Plus Ponting tended to mouth off at the crowd when they were giving him stick when he was out, Clarke seems to be able just reflect it off and have a joke like as you said with the DRS. Would slightly disagree about him being the only world class player, think Watson is to... although he is currently out of form.

Broad is a brat, it's pretty well known in cricket, I actually think he thrives on this kind if thing.

All those giving him stuck remember that the majority of Aussies would never ever walk, it's the umpires decision, that's the way they've been brought up, so I have no problem in broad not walking and neither did the Australians, yet some on here talk about the spirit of cricket.

Geoffrey Boycott summed it up perfectly for me on TMS when speaking to Aggers, he put a good argument across that the spirit of cricket only works when EVERYONE plays by the same rules and that will never happen, especially when the Aussies are brought up to NEVER walk, as it's the umpires decision to give you out, it may be wrong but it's the way it is, not one Aussie pundit or player could say they wouldn't have done what Broad did.

On a side note, there's no way this will be 5-0, the Aussies can and will bat a lot better at Lords they just need to sort out the order, in 5 years time they will have a great team.

Yep, the criminals will be a very good team in the near future. Especially their bowling attack! Pattinson, Starc and Agar are all very good bowlers. They also have Jackson Bird who is unknown but a huge talent, very similar to Anderson.

Broad got away with it because the Aussies ran out of reviews. I went up straight away on the hadden one. You could hear the snick from the stump camera/microphone.

I certainly heard it, and so must have Prior. That's why it surprised me that it took England so long to call for a review. Maybe they have a (sensible) policy of taking their time.

If it did upset me, which it doesn't, I'd be more bothered by players who walk for the obvious ones and hang about for the little nicks. It didn't bother me when I umpired, because I'd prefer to be left to make the decision anyway.

Claiming a catch when you know you've dropped it is another kettle of fish altogether. That IMO is cheating.

Yep, the criminals will be a very good team in the near future. Especially their bowling attack! Pattinson, Starc and Agar are all very good bowlers. They also have Jackson Bird who is unknown but a huge talent, very similar to Anderson.

I think Agar has the potential to be a very good batsman, too. Glenn McGrath gave the example of Gary Sobers, who was selected as a left arm spinner and seamer, but turned out to be rather a good batsman too :)

I certainly heard it, and so must have Prior. That's why it surprised me that it took England so long to call for a review. Maybe they have a (sensible) policy of taking their time.

If it did upset me, which it doesn't, I'd be more bothered by players who walk for the obvious ones and hang about for the little nicks. It didn't bother me when I umpired, because I'd prefer to be left to make the decision anyway.

Claiming a catch when you know you've dropped it is another kettle of fish altogether. That IMO is cheating.

Their policy is basically that bowler, captain and wicketkeeper must be all in complete agreement before they review, if one says he is not 100% or disagrees then they wont review.

Went to Edgbaston in 2009 for the Ashes and was talking to a couple of Australians during a rain break (which was most the day if I'm honest!) and got on to the topic of Ponting. Still remember what they said when I asked if they understood why we didn't like him:

"He's a world class cricketer, but he is from Tasmania, and we think of Tasmanians in the same way you poms think of the Welsh. Sheep Sh@gging inbreed b@st@rds"

Archived