IGNORED

Road-Rage Corner

U had a blazing arguement the other day for this exact same reason. I was driving down past filton airfield where there is a cycle path on the pavement but instead this idiot wanted to drive down the road which caused me to slow down to 5mph as I couldn't pass. When I did pass him after exchanging a few words I then got as close to the kerb as I could and drove really slow so he knew how I felt. Maybe would have been better forbhim to use the cycle path.

If they won't use the cycle lane, I will with my car. Start giving them abuse then get as close as you can and get hold of their handle bar and keep revving the engine while politely asking if they would kindly use the provided cycle paths in future to avoid a possible accident due to the fact that there are some really bad drivers out and about

Some quite astonishing views on here against non four wheeled road users!

Until the government changes the law then cyclists and horses have just as much right on the roads as cars. There is no law that states cyclists have to use a cycle lane, some of them are unusable.

The view that a car has more rights to be on the road than a cyclist/horse is a grossly misunderstood one. Usually drivers will say that they pay road tax so have the right of way etc. Road tax does not exist, drivers pay vehicle excise duty which is a tax on cars not a tax giving the right to use roads.

Roads are paid for through central and local taxation.

Not all car drivers have to pay VED either.

So... cyclists and horses legally and morally have just as much right to use the road as cars.

Some comments on here about ramming groups of cyclists off the road I hope are tongue in cheek. I am not sure how the posters would deal with a death by reckless driving charge.

Some cyclists/horse riders are inconsiderate, so are some car drivers (towards other car drivers). Some cyclists and horse riders are thoughtful and will pull over (when safe to do so).

As football fans we hate being stereotyped in the press and by the law but we seem to be pretty good at stereotyping other groups within society.

Until the government changes the law then cyclists and horses have just as much right on the roads as cars. There is no law that states cyclists have to use a cycle lane, some of them are unusable.

The view that a car has more rights to be on the road than a cyclist/horse is a grossly misunderstood one. Usually drivers will say that they pay road tax so have the right of way etc. Road tax does not exist, drivers pay vehicle excise duty which is a tax on cars not a tax giving the right to use roads.

So... cyclists and horses legally and morally have just as much right to use the road as cars.

Some comments on here about ramming groups of cyclists off the road I hope are tongue in cheek. I am not sure how the posters would deal with a death by reckless driving charge.

Some cyclists/horse riders are inconsiderate, so are some car drivers (towards other car drivers). Some cyclists and horse riders are thoughtful and will pull over (when safe to do so).

As football fans we hate being stereotyped in the press and by the law but we seem to be pretty good at stereotyping other groups within society.

Sorry but I do about 20,000 miles on the road a year and can honestly say cyclists are the most dangerous road users I've come across.

Coincidence, yeh maybe....

Sorry but I do about 20,000 miles on the road a year and can honestly say cyclists are the most dangerous road users I've come across.

Coincidence, yeh maybe....

As someone who cycles, rides a motorbike and drives I can say that generally car drivers are the worst. Your sat in a comfy seat, radio on, nice temperature, perhaps talking on your hands free. Car drivers tend not to be bad drivers but are blissfully unaware of all their surroundings due to comfort and distractions. When I drive I know I am less aware and anyone who drives and uses two wheeled transport I'm sure will testify the same. 

That said cyclists who jump red and unnecessarily hold the lane are morons and of course there are the bikers who ride at 100mph everywhere. There are idiots in every group, but the two wheelers fall victim to the four wheelers mistakes more often to see. 

A final note is many car drivers don't get that push bikes have as much right to be there, and if you overtake me when I'm keeping up with traffic as a car would you can jog on.

As someone who cycles, rides a motorbike and drives I can say that generally car drivers are the worst. Your sat in a comfy seat, radio on, nice temperature, perhaps talking on your hands free. Car drivers tend not to be bad drivers but are blissfully unaware of all their surroundings due to comfort and distractions. When I drive I know I am less aware and anyone who drives and uses two wheeled transport I'm sure will testify the same. 

That said cyclists who jump red and unnecessarily hold the lane are morons and of course there are the bikers who ride at 100mph everywhere. There are idiots in every group, but the two wheelers fall victim to the four wheelers mistakes more often to see. 

A final note is many car drivers don't get that push bikes have as much right to be there, and if you overtake me when I'm keeping up with traffic as a car would you can jog on.

So basically, you're trying to generalise motorists and cyclists, though people in cars are worst? Then say anyone on the road can be unsafe.

Swings and roundabouts....

I think it would be more or less fair to say that vehicle safety and awareness is down to each individual on the road. It can't be generalised.

So basically, you're trying to generalise motorists and cyclists, though people in cars are worst? Then say anyone on the road can be unsafe.

Swings and roundabouts....

I think it would be more or less fair to say that vehicle safety and awareness is down to each individual on the road. It can't be generalised.

You have two kinds of road users

1. Idiots
  2. Non-idiots

Idiots, no matter what they are driving/pedalling will drive recklessly and dangerously. These are your 100mph bikers, BMW drivers, cyclists who jump reds etc.

Non-idiots, people who drive safely and considerately but are prone to mistakes as all humans are. All I'm saying is that the conditions in a car increase the chance of honest yet potentially disastrous mistakes. 

You have two kinds of road users

1. Idiots
  2. Non-idiots

Idiots, no matter what they are driving/pedalling will drive recklessly and dangerously. These are your 100mph bikers, BMW drivers, cyclists who jump reds etc.

Non-idiots, people who drive safely and considerately but are prone to mistakes as all humans are. All I'm saying is that the conditions in a car increase the chance of honest yet potentially disastrous mistakes. 

You're probably right, it's partly down to the vehicle dimensions compared to motor/push bikes - risk of harm are also lower if a collision occurs.

I'd go with that, you are so insulated and basically safe within a car that your attention is not fully focussed upon the road as it is when you are cycling or motorbiking (I cycle now, I have motorbiked).

However to compensate for this I drive carefully and haven't had an accident (touch wood) for about fifteen years despite driving over 20k a year.

Driving on the M6 and in bad weather leaving myself a good amount of space due to the weather and cars constantly pulling into the space i've left deliberately for safety reasons.

So someone is in the outside lane but is no longer overtaking so pulls into your safety gap. You then re create that gap by dropping off a little bit again. Sounds like how the roads should work to me

I'd go with that, you are so insulated and basically safe within a car that your attention is not fully focussed upon the road as it is when you are cycling or motorbiking (I cycle now, I have motorbiked).

However to compensate for this I drive carefully and haven't had an accident (touch wood) for about fifteen years despite driving over 20k a year.

I always drive with a window open so I can hear things and so I'm not wrapped in a cocoon. OK hearing can't be relied upon but many times I have had a biker come up fast on my inside and had my window been shut would most likely have hit him.

What I don't understand is how so many people are willing to risk their lives and that of others just to get somewhere that little bit quicker. My motto is better to arrive late than not at all. People fail to understand that cars and bikes are killing machines and should be driven with respect.

It makes me so angry when I come accross an idiot on the road and they put mine and my children's lives at risk by their reckless driving.

I always drive with a window open so I can hear things and so I'm not wrapped in a cocoon. OK hearing can't be relied upon but many times I have had a biker come up fast on my inside and had my window been shut would most likely have hit him.

They should ban drivers who wear earphones whilst driving.

You are, of course, absolutely correct.

Nevertheless, you will surely understand most drivers' frustration (and that some of the comments, as you say, are 'tongue in cheek').

Always love it when the 'I pay my road tax' card is played.

Is it inconceivable that some people who ride a bicycle or a horse might also have a car and therefore pay said tax too?

Or if they don't have a car/don't pay vehicle tax/don't have a right to be on the road, then by the same logic, can somebody tell me how Auntie Gladys is supposed to cross the road to get to the clinic when there is no footbridge or underpass. Presumably as a tax paying vehicle owner I am within my rights to scream abuse at her before mangling her under my shiny alloys?

So someone is in the outside lane but is no longer overtaking so pulls into your safety gap. You then re create that gap by dropping off a little bit again. Sounds like how the roads should work to me

I don't mind cars pulling in front after overtaking, its more when I'm overtaking, just because I'm not rammed up the back of the guy in front and leaving no space doesn't mean that the space in front if me is good to use when often there is a massive gap behind me where if they wait for 20 seconds or so I will have overtaken them and there be a big space behind me, instead darting into a smaller space between 2 cars and as I said, in bad weather being close in front of me enough so that its hard to see through the windscreen because of how much spray I'm getting even with the wipers, meaning I have to slow down while not really being able to see what's now in front of me.

Bit of patience is all that's required to be overtaken tbh.

I am guessing those who pull in front of someone after overtaking really need to go on a driver awareness course. Terrible thing to do, even worse in front of a lorry. Complete pig ignorance for everyone around them. Should be made to hand their licenses in immediately.

People who weave around slower moving traffic p**ses me right off too. Quite a satisfying feeling when you successfully block one of those morons off.

And also those who stick to the middle lane and constantly accelerate to sit behind the next car in front when one moves into the 1st lane.

Someone tried it on me this morning. I was is lane 3 overtaking some slower traffic (about 60mph) on the M4. Once past it, I go to move in, only to have some dappy bird pushing up to 80mph. I had to accelerate to get in front to then sit in.

If this person wanted to go faster, don't undertake the person doing a sensible speed in the lane to your right of a 3 lane motorway. WAIT!!!

They had the cheek to throw their hands about the place as if it was my fault of their incompetence. Moments later, they went back down below 70mph and into the first lane. WTF?!

I once had an asshole behind me in the 3rd lane so I gave him the finger and slowed down a little to match the middle lane traffic as you describe. It was at this point the unmarked police car put on his flashing lights and siren. I decided to move over.

My favourite trick is when I'm in the 3rd Lane and I have an asshole behind me flashing lights I find a mini bus or something in the middle Lane that's doing about 60 and match their speed.

I once had an asshole behind me in the 3rd lane so I gave him the finger and slowed down a little to match the middle lane traffic as you describe. It was at this point the unmarked police car put on his flashing lights and siren. I decided to move over.

I can relate to both scenarios, minus the police being the arse sitting on my bumper.

Yeah I notice that quite a lot, I do the same speed someone will overtake me pull in (whether right in front or few hundred yards) and slow pretty much all the way down until I overtake them again doing the same speed and repeat.

Anyone who can't understand rights of way at a roundabout ............

IT IS NOT DIFFICULT.

"Give way to traffic from right". That's it!

Some geyser t'other day carved me up at a mini-roundabout, but 'unluckily' for him, the exit was blocked, so we stopped right next to each other.

"Nice".

High-way code says a flash of the headlights means 'I am here'. So I did just that.

Full-on verbals from the bloke! The SOB cuts me up proper, and then gives ME verbals.

No.

:nono:

No, my friend. Not there, not then.

What to do? I always think, if you get out of the car, you have to be ready to fight - or don't do it.

TFR out of the car, on roundabout: "you were saying, pal".

More verbals.

"You cut me up, then give me the f-ing verbals??"

"Repeat what you just said, punk".

At this point his Mrs is sinking into her seat, thinking world eat me up.

Did he get out, did he defend his wife's honour.

He did not.

The result? TFR 1 Likely gas-head 0.

Thank you, and goodnight.

:mf_sleep:

TFR

Archived