IGNORED

Luke Freeman signs (Merged)

HoldenBall

Billy Jones situation all over again. I don't know the figures involved for our offers in January for Freeman but as with Billy Jones we should have overpaid and got our man when we could. I know we have to be sensible with our money and not go completely over the top but sometimes for the right player (I.e. young, talented and in demand players) it pays to spend a bit more to ensure you get them when you're in a position to do so.

When SC joked in january about not overpaying and that he would just get him in the summer for free/cheaper I had a feeling he was being a bit ambitious. Hate to say I told you so, Steve. Freeman will go to a bigger team than us, just as Billy Jones did.

I can agree to a certain extent, but how attractive did we look in January? It seems as a league 1 team right now we aren't top of his list, so what real hope did we have back then, except if we offered much, much more than he was worth. We could have made a very expensive signing and still gone down and once again been in the situation we are just managing to escape from.

I'm not saying don't go for these players, just that it possibly wasn't as clear cut as all that.

Because overpaying for players and giving them big wages has worked out so well for us hasn't it

Perhaps you would like to continue losing 18 million a year just so you can say we have "ambition"

I know I wouldn't

He was out of our price range we are trying to be self sufficient as a club over paying for one winger may well mean we'd have been weak in other areas

I never understood the over paying part in January, last year of his contract (at the time) so how much would we really have had to pay, a couple of hundred thousand? If Freeman really then became the player many believe he could he would be worth a lot more than that so we probably would have been looking at a profit anyway.

Billy Jones situation all over again. I don't know the figures involved for our offers in January for Freeman but as with Billy Jones we should have overpaid and got our man when we could. I know we have to be sensible with our money and not go completely over the top but sometimes for the right player (I.e. young, talented and in demand players) it pays to spend a bit more to ensure you get them when you're in a position to do so.

When SC joked in january about not overpaying and that he would just get him in the summer for free/cheaper I had a feeling he was being a bit ambitious. Hate to say I told you so, Steve. Freeman will go to a bigger team than us, just as Billy Jones did.

Yes, agree was a daft thing to say by SC. He also obviously hadn't considered that Freeman might of had an extension option on his contract meaning he won't be going cheap now anyway... There will probably be little difference in the amount he goes for now as there would have been in January. SC has been made to look a little silly on this one, let's hope our recruitment "tactics" for the rest of the summer pan out a bit better...

Why would LF come to us in january, no matter how much we offered, when he would know full well that he could move to a championship club in the summer?

We wouldnt of bid anything unless we got a heads up from the players agent that he was interested in speaking to us.

I agree with BCFCRobbo & KITR. Football's all about timings (espec in the transfer market) and SC will be made to look a fool all for the sake of a few extra grand

All those moaning that we've "missed out" again blah blah...are you all just presuming that the guy was ever interested in coming here, or is it based on anything?

I seem to remember reading that we were going to make an offer but were priced out...but I don't recall reading anything about him chomping at the bit to join us. Especially seeing as we looked nailed on for relegation ourselves back at Christmas time!

All those moaning that we've "missed out" again blah blah...are you all just presuming that the guy was ever interested in coming here, or is it based on anything?

I seem to remember reading that we were going to make an offer but were priced out...but I don't recall reading anything about him chomping at the bit to join us. Especially seeing as we looked nailed on for relegation ourselves back at Christmas time!

It's one thing to get turned down by the player, its another not to even put the bid to have contract talks

We wouldnt of bid anything unless we got a heads up from the players agent that he was interested in speaking to us.

I agree with BCFCRobbo & KITR. Football's all about timings (espec in the transfer market) and SC will be made to look a fool all for the sake of a few extra grand

where does the money come from? because we aren't rolling in it last time I checked our owner had to write off 30 million quid and now you lot are suggesting we actually add to it?

where does the money come from? because we aren't rolling in it last time I checked our owner had to write off 30 million quid and now you lot are suggesting we actually add to it?

SL can put money into the club by way of equity meaning the club would owe him nothing.

SL was clearly willing to pay a transfer fee for Freeman in January as we had bids turned down.

This makes interesting viewing.  Quote from SC "I won't pay over the odds for him....not when I can get him for free in the summer....and I've already spoken to his agent.  Straight as a dye this game"

"If it gets to the point where we've got to pay a little bit over the odds, because come the summer there'll be a bigger market for him and we won't get him, then I'll speak to the board about that"

Check out this video from 10 minutes 30 seconds and look at the smugness displayed at 11 minutes 30 seconds.  This sounds very much like a broken promise to me.

As I previously said, I don't know what the situation was in Jan or the fees discussed but we haven't got a hope in hell of getting him now!

No chance now.  As I said back in January, we should have acted then.  Too late now, despite SC's gloating at the Q&A.

I don't think we had a hope in hell of getting him in January!

"Right Luke; you can move to a team currently below Stevenage in the table now or wait until the summer, probably get a contract with a championship team, higher wages AND a massive signing on fee"

"Urm... Can I think about it?!"

Unless we offer him mega-bucks or things Fal through with all the suitors from higher leagues, signing Luke Freeman was ALWAYS a fantasy, no matter what hope anyone took from what Cotterill said at a meeting

I don't think we had a hope in hell of getting him in January!

"Right Luke; you can move to a team currently below Stevenage in the table now or wait until the summer, probably get a contract with a championship team, higher wages AND a massive signing on fee"

"Urm... Can I think about it?!"

Unless we offer him mega-bucks or things Fal through with all the suitors from higher leagues, signing Luke Freeman was ALWAYS a fantasy, no matter what hope anyone took from what Cotterill said at a meeting

has he actually signed for some one?

Archived