IGNORED

Luke Freeman signs (Merged)

HoldenBall

Well according to this thread Watford, though I suspect that's news to both Luke Freeman and Watford FC

so everyone is getting upset about a player we may or may not sign going to a club who are close to getting to the prem going from an agent talk rumour on sky.........yep lets bash the manager for that,

why don't people wait until the season actually starts before we go on and moan about the manager (who has a director of football who should be doing the deals after the manager has identified the player he wants)

City made several bids, to the very limit of what we thought Freeman was worth, and Stevenage turned them all down.

It's accepted by manager, and fans, that City will not overpay for players in the future, and many of us are more than happy about that.

If Freeman has since had a contract extention activated which changes the situation from January then that will have come as unexpected news to just about everyone.

That possibility certainly doesn't seem to be something his agent, or Stevenage, mentioned during any talks with KB or SC in January, so hardly a stick to beat them with now.

SC said during the BBC Radio Bristol show at GCCC that we had bids for Freeman turned down, but was not prepared to pay over the odds for a player that 'didn't have enough goals in him' from the midfield.

That was his major concern. At that time Freeman had score 5 times including a brace in a single match, finishing the season with 3 goals in the last 4 games.

It suggests that he wants someone in that can find those midfield goals on a regular basis. That doesn't often come from a younger player, but an experienced pro with a track record of getting them.

Don't think that kind of player will come cheap either!

As I understand it, we did act in January and simply failed to get the player due to the fee being more than the club thought he was worth. But I don't think for a moment that he would have come here anyway given our position at that time and the knowledge that he'll have better options.

Gloating ? About what exactly ?

Its a bit naive to think that its so easy to get decent players to come to a third division club - why should they think of this club as anything other than that ? SC has done well so far on player recruitment (apart from El Abd).

Hi Cynic.

The gloating I refer to can be witnessed for yourself in the video I shared on post #26 on this very thread.

Click on the video and go to 10 minutes 30 seconds in.  The next minute is all you need to know.  Quite clearly Freeman was wanted, we'd made bids, they were turned down, SC didn't think he was worth paying any more for (even though SL would probably have backed him up if he'd asked), because as he himself said - why pay more than he thinks he's worth when he can get him free in the Summer and you've already spoken to his agent.

I'll tell you why you pay more than you think he's worth - because he is worth it.  And in spite of all the self-congratulation, he ain't free in the summer, and now you've got no chance of getting him.

Watch the video Cynic, and tell me that's not some serious gloating going on at around 11 minutes.

Archived