IGNORED

Dolman Stand Access - Important Information

Dave L

Just reading Dave's original message...only 2 of 10 turnstiles are being closed so 20% of access. But surely we're losing A and G blocks for next season too...about 20% of capacity.

So is this really going to result in the chaos anticipated on here?

Also losing the 4 at the other end of the stand

Just reading Dave's original message...only 2 of 10 turnstiles are being closed so 20% of access. But surely we're losing A and G blocks for next season too...about 20% of capacity.

Don't forget the 4 at the Wedlock end. Therefore turnstiles drop from 14 to 8 which is approximately 45% so much more than any decrease in capacity.

2 are being removed in the corner (Dolman/Atyeo) but they are also removing all the turnstiles at the EE end of the Dolman together with the entrance steps there.

The problem is that the 8 remaining can process 600 people per hour maximum - if everything works, people move quickly,

stewards don't ask to search bags just as people are about to enter the turnstile.

That means it will take 1 hour to process 4800 people (I think even with A, G and N blocks removed/closed capacity is more than this) allowing people to flow through at a rate of one every SIX SECONDS .......hardly likely?

It will be chaos.

This used to be the case back when I had a ST in the Dolman.

Unfortunately the practice was stopped because of people trying to blag their way in without a valid ticket. It's a narrow corridor and there is no space to turn people round or have extra staff to deal with the cheats. Nor is there space to install turnstiles.

Forget the blagging. Make sure every ticket is valid on entry to the DEH. This used to be a system that people preferred.

There's more chance of Lord Lucan turning up on Shergar and you know it. This has the hallmarks of getting your excuses in early.

It takes fifteen minutes to empty with the bloody gates open at both ends. God forbid we have to evacuate.

Stop pretending and come up with an even passably realistic plan.

I'm surprised they can get a safety certificate. What happens if the atyeo end of the dolman goes up in flames?

Dave, can't the layout of the turnstiles be remodeled? You need to be adding turnstiles, not taking them away!

Has any footfall/queuing modeling been done?

As Nibor says, you really do need a workable plan B.

Getting in to the Gate has been a problem as long as I can remember.

I promise you that we have given this full consideration. We have always said that supporters would have to work with us and be patient during the redevelopment. We have always said that there would be access issues in the Dolman and disruption to match day routines. What I'm trying to do now is to flag these up early so we can do everything we can to make things run as smoothly as possible. 

In response to some of the solutions that have been suggested:

It's not possible to install any more turnstiles. There is simply no space to do this.

We cannot use turnstiles in other stands, as our Safety certificate requires us to strictly control access to individual stands, particularly as we are likely to be pretty full next season.

We certainly can't have people using Williams turnstiles and walking pitch-side in front of away supporters and the tunnel while players are warming up on the pitch.

I will take up the suggestion of  restricting DEH access to Dolman ST holders though. If we can allow access via the corridor to those who have already entered via a turnstile then this could help speed up the access flow to the stand.

What we obviously have to is to make sure that the turnstiles we have are working properly and that all scanners etc are fully operational. We deserve to be called to account if we don't get that right.

But supporters will have to meet us half way. If people aren't prepared to change their pre-match routine to a degree, then there will be problems over which we have no control. We are generally sorry for any inconvenience that might be caused, but we're just asking for a small change in your matchday routine for one season.

Well we all got to go through a bit of pain during the redevelopment..... , look at all the messing about with seating etc so not having a pre-match drink in the DEH for a season surely wont be too much of a burden.

I meet friends in the DEH before the game, but I sit in the Atyeo and ~I have no issues with changing things for the season and meeting else where, after all we will all benefit once its all done.

Cheers

Mark

I promise you that we have given this full consideration. We have always said that supporters would have to work with us and be patient during the redevelopment. We have always said that there would be access issues in the Dolman and disruption to match day routines. What I'm trying to do now is to flag these up early so we can do everything we can to make things run as smoothly as possible.

It's not possible to install any more turnstiles. There is simply no space to do this.

We cannot use turnstiles in other stands, as our Safety certificate requires us to strictly control access to individual stands, particularly as we are likely to be pretty full next season.

We certainly can't have people using Williams turnstiles and walking pitch-side in front of away supporters and the tunnel while players are warming up on the pitch.

I will take up the suggestion of restricting DEH access to Dolman ST holders though. If we can allow access via the corridor to those who have already entered via a turnstile then this could help speed up the access flow to the stand.

What we obviously have to is to make sure that the turnstiles we have are working properly and that all scanners etc are fully operational. We deserve to be called to account if we don't get that right.

But supporters will have to meet us half way. If people aren't prepared to change their pre-match routine to a degree, then there will be problems over which we have no control. We are generally sorry for any inconvenience that might be caused, but we're just asking for a small change in your matchday routine for one season.

How do people get in and out when the lower dolman is demolished? Is there more than one way out? There is surely a squeeze point getting in at the top of the stairs. Or is something temporary being put in place?

I will take up the suggestion of restricting DEH access to Dolman ST holders though. If we can allow access via the corridor to those who have already entered via a turnstile then this could help speed up the access flow to the stand.

I don't think anyone has a problem with meeting the club half way, and access to the DEH from beyond the turnstile sounds like a reasonable compromise. If the DEH is available to pay on the day customers as well, it might maintain revenue levels.

A simple hand-stamp might provide a solution to those who want to nip out for a smoke, and if the only way in and out of the DEH is from the turnstile side rather than the lane that runs behind the stand then you won't have an issue with people trying to use incorrect tickets.

Possibly a more convenient solution that maintaining the DEH as a bar for all (for this season) as others have said, some parts of the Dolman are exposed to the elements and I would imagine they would be happier staying dry for longer than feeling like they have to sit in the rain for an extra 30 minutes to see the full game.

But Dave we've got 30 foot of space next to the turnstiles, being the Dolman exit gates, that isn't being used pre-match. As three of us have suggested surely that opening can be used - temporary turnstiles, blokes checking season tickets whatever to reduce the pre match chaos.

Why can't people access the Dolman via the East end side ?

- Allow entrance on the top of Dolman from temporary built stairways

- Enter Dolman before 2 p.m. and get a refund

- Allow entrence to Dolman at the EE side of Williams and on to the Dolman over the lower part (stairs can be built once the lower part is to be demolished)

- Allow entrance to Dolman at the Atyeo side of Williams. A tunnel if away fans necessarilly have to be seated by the pitch. Close the tunnel when players are about to leave after warm up - then open up again. If you have strong concerns about the away fans  - put up a net that be be removed once everyone has boarded.  

- Allow entrance on the top of Dolman from temporary built stairways

Any potential for opening turnstiles earlier Dave? I'm sure they were open from 1 at some point.

Any potential for opening turnstiles earlier Dave? I'm sure they were open from 1 at some point.

Back in the day bla bla bla.....most people used to get in the ground early. I used to stand in the enclosure ( getting wet usually) for an hour or so before the game. The singing was good. I'd bagged my spot and I read my programme, chatted, watched the warm-ups (or was it Gerry Gownhaving a fag?) etc. don't remember it being too harsh in fact it was part of the routine. Problem is now, the routine has changed for most people and there is little pre- match singing in the ground so part of the reason for getting in early has gone.

Now if everyone was to get there early and start the singing again we'd have solved both the atmosphere issue and the turnstile one!

I'll get my coat!

Archived