IGNORED

Dolman Stand Access - Important Information

Dave L

No way is the current proposal going to lead to anything but carnage.

Not because 4800 are unwilling to meet the club 'half way' and turn up an hour early to stand hope of getting in for kick off but because a lot of the 4800 live in a place called the real world whereby they are victim to circumstances such as work/childcare etc that will not permit them to play a part in such a simple masterplan.

Anyway, good luck with this City for after game 1 you will be forced to review your strategy.

You'd hope so. Love to know where. Its a long drop! :)

We will be installing temporary staircases at the front of the upper tier. 

The project manager from Barr will be doing a presentation for all supporters in a couple of weeks entailing the exact phasing of the demolition and rebuilding works over the next 2 years. It'll be in the DEH.

We'll be announcing the date of this soon.

But Dave we've got 30 foot of space next to the turnstiles, being the Dolman exit gates, that isn't being used pre-match. As three of us have suggested surely that opening can be used - temporary turnstiles, blokes checking season tickets whatever to reduce the pre match chaos.

Because the gates have to be kept clear as an emergency exit

Why can't people access the Dolman via the East end side ?

Because its a building site

The project manager from Barr will be doing a presentation for all supporters in a couple of weeks entailing the exact phasing of the demolition and rebuilding works over the next 2 years. It'll be in the DEH.

Cheers Dave. Have to say I prefer the sound of plane escape slides.

Absolute disgrace. Just bought my first season ticket for a few years as the nomadic ways have stopped. Feel like getting it refunded under mis-selling law. 'Turn up early'.... Bit like Bristol airport telling customers to turn up the day before because they are rebuilding and they have only one check in desk. Joke. Might not be your fault DL but you need to make the feeling known and let those in power come up with a viable solution.

It wont be a presentation for all supporters, it will be for those that can make it to the DEH on a weekday evening with very little notice.

Perhaps it could be streamed live on the club website? And uploaded to youtube afterwards?

Absolute disgrace. Just bought my first season ticket for a few years as the nomadic ways have stopped. Feel like getting it refunded under mis-selling law. 'Turn up early'.... Bit like Bristol airport telling customers to turn up the day before because they are rebuilding and they have only one check in desk. Joke. Might not be your fault DL but you need to make the feeling known and let those in power come up with a viable solution.

Not the best of analogies when most airports/airlines say you need to be at the airport 40+ minutes before departure!

It wont be a presentation for all supporters, it will be for those that can make it to the DEH on a weekday evening with very little notice.

Perhaps it could be streamed live on the club website? And uploaded to youtube afterwards?

Not the best of analogies when most airports/airlines say you need to be at the airport 40+ minutes before departure!

Which is why I stated 'the day before'....

What about letting Dolman STH's through the turnstiles to get into the DEH and issuing them with coloured wristbands with, if practical, the name of the opposition on.

These people can then use the entrance that we use at HT to get into the DEH and then the same entrance to get back out to the stand before kick off, identified by stewards by their wristbands. It at least will deal with the few hundred who have a drink in the DEH pre-match and remove them from the queues.

"Unfortunately the practice was stopped because of people trying to blag their way in without a valid ticket." Or Dave and as seen these past few seasons, fans being unable to blag their way in via the turnstiles with valid tickets! If the figures quoted are true then the licensing authorities I suggest need to quickly ascertain how many tickets you've sold so far and then restrict the capacity until such time as the club can demonstrate it can safely process the numbers given the behaviours fans are known to display. It is wholly unacceptable for the club to place the onus on fans to behave in a manner IT would like - the club has vicarious liability to take reasonable steps to ensure fans are safely accommodated and that includes taking measures in consideration of 'undesirable' behaviour, if that's what expecting to get in within a reasonable time is now considered. The club, in this instance, should have warned fans it could take up to an hour to enter the stadium and we'd have a choice. As for mugs like my son and I , yes we'd love to arrive night matches an hour early - though given he doesn't leave school in SE London until 4:30 unless Steve lends us his private jet that isn't going to be possible.

A few months ago I went to a presentation by Dave L in the DEH about how the rebuild would affect the Dolman. What has happened since has been a shambles as new, unexpected, changes have emerged with frightening regularity. These problems were covered in another thread - the club left it far too late to appoint a contractor with the result we've got this endless firefighting.

One comment from Dave L that I can remember was approx "you in the Dolman won't be affected very much next season". Famous last words.

Maybe incentives can be offered to those who can arrive for 1-1.30, to do so. Free pint for example. This is actually a good opportunity for the club to show they're meeting us plebs half way.

Evening games are going to me a nightmare: "please try to arrive for 18.45" - pure fantasy!

Also, how is any of this going to be communicated to the huge number who aren't regularly on-line?

Calm down! Getting your season ticket refunded because the new stadium construction means slightly longer queues than usual? Jeez.

What do you expect? The stadium is being redeveloped, it's part and parcel of such a large complex project that there will be a bit of temporary upheaval.

I know some people can't get to the ground until "X" time, but the club are advising people to plan their journeys a little earlier, so that it's not 95% turning up at 2.55 after the pub. A little bit of common sense goes a long way. If you can get down there a little earlier, it's sensible to do so.

a) it minimises your own chances of missing KO

b) it allows those who physically can't get down any earlier to hopefully stand a better chance.

- the club left it far too late to appoint a contractor with the result we've got this endless firefighting.

Par for the course in the construction industry.

It is one thing the retailers do really well - involve the contractors right from the very beginning of the project. And Hey Presto! their projects get built on time and within budget.  It really isn't rocket science.  Sadly they are one of the few customers who do so.

All we can do is go with the flow. Many people have offered sensible solutions but unfortunately it seems they have already been considered and mainly dismissed. I can see some turning up early and either getting in ok or being caught up in a big queue as everyone has done the same. Those that do get in and find sitting in the hot sun for an hour kicking their heels bored out of their mind will think bugger that, I'm leaving later next time.

I can remember back in the days of the old, old, Eastend getting there probably around 1.30 or even before for a big game. You had to if you were a short arse like me and wanted to get a decent view. We sang our hearts out and built up our own atmosphere, with the aid of a few well aimed loo rolls. There just isn't any incentive in the days of reserved seating for people to get there early. The prices and quality of food and drink doesn't help either, much better value at local pubs etc.

I think the club have a bigger problem than they appreciate right now.

Dave , rather than the club hiding behind the generic guidance contained within Section 7 of 'The Green Guide' (Guide To Safety At Sports Grounds) the ticket entry system will have logs from the past few seasons showing actual performance metrics of the system of ingress ( I'd suggest to the Architect and Project Manager this to be a base reference.) Perhaps us fans may have access to the data to decide for ourselves whether the 600-660 per turnstile, per hour has been achieved? Should City need help to decipher there's at least one lifelong fan of my acquaintance in the SGSA (FLA as was.)

Presentation from Barr? So they dictate what BCFC and Bristol Sport are allowed to do? Any business worth its salt would have a. thought of this issue and b. arrived at a decision in favour of its customers taking into account the needs of Barr. Nice one, nice to know where we figure in this.....

Presentation from Barr? So they dictate what BCFC and Bristol Sport are allowed to do? Any business worth its salt would have a. thought of this issue and b. arrived at a decision in favour of its customers taking into account the needs of Barr. Nice one, nice to know where we figure in this.....

I think you have distorted what Dave has said.

Barr have been appointed (late) and drawn up their construction programme.  They are presenting this to supporters - they don't have to do this, but it is good practice. This programme will have an effect on us that nobody, such as the highly paid team of QSs and architects who have been in place for ages, thought about - such as the turnstile changes. And there will be more as time goes by; this thread will be repeated regularly in different guises over the next couple of years.

" This programme will have an effect on us that nobody, such as the highly paid team of QSs and architects who have been in place for ages, thought about - " Soft Landings, BIM ? That neither the Architect or technical consultants (building design, construction, m&e, environmental ) is utterly unthinkable and, if true, they'd better check their PII. This is very basic stuff, will have been identified since the get-go and is being released now ( the day the STs come out) as someone's considered it a good day to bury bad news.

" This programme will have an effect on us that nobody, such as the highly paid team of QSs and architects who have been in place for ages, thought about - " Soft Landings, BIM ? That neither the Architect or technical consultants (building design, construction, m&e, environmental ) is utterly unthinkable and, if true, they'd better check their PII. This is very basic stuff, will have been identified since the get-go and is being released now ( the day the STs come out) as someone's considered it a good day to bury bad news.

Or it could be that the contractors have said, 'Hmm, if we do it this way, the build will be finished earlier and you'll save a few quid at the same time' - and the fella who is ploughing tens of millions in to the scheme thought 'Saving a few quid? That sounds like a new of novel approach, we've not really done that here before, let's give it a go!'

They'd of known the turnstiles at the EE end of the Dolman were going a year ago when the plans were first drawn up but Barr were only recently appointed and have come in, assessed the job, and decided another two have to go at the Dolman/Atyeo end. That's what it looks like to me, in which case the late notice is understandable. You can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs!

Archived