IGNORED

Dolman Stand Access - Important Information

Dave L

Surely at least one of those Dolman Gates can be opened? Still got the exit plus if it needs to be evacuated (what are the chances of that?) then people will turn around rather quickly i'd imagine! Just get a few temporary lanes and barriers etc, doesn't have to look pretty and get a few stewards (plenty around not doing a lot)/staff with handheld scanners to let people through.

Still got an emergency exit, stop people with no tickets getting in,couple extra lanes of getting people in and a club that looks like its trying to help fans get in as soon as possible.

Or it could be that the contractors have said, 'Hmm, if we do it this way, the build will be finished earlier and you'll save a few quid at the same time' - and the fella who is ploughing tens of millions in to the scheme thought 'Saving a few quid? That sounds like a new of novel approach, we've not really done that here before, let's give it a go!'

Then they clearly haven't adopted the very basics, let alone SL/BIM. I've delivered enough infrastructure projects where maintenance of operational capability has been pre requisite. The CDM will have been signed off as a key component around how ingress/egress was to be delivered/maintained/changed throughout the project lifecycle. This should never be a 'last minute' trade-off. The questions I've asked remain valid - I could ask what happens if it's found the numbers of tickets already sold exceed the limits at which patrons may safely access/exit the ground? I want as many in AG as possible but perhaps we're already looking at 'adjustments' - POTD only sold until 45 minutes prior to the game, no ticket collection 30 minutes pre kick-off. The club will need to demonstrate they can deliver and based on the past few years experience I'm worried.

Sorry if I missed it but what clauses exist on a season ticket relating to pre match arrival time? The majority sporting event tickets state on the small print to arrive early to guarantee not missing the start of the match. 

The stadium is under going major redevelopment work which as a result has left the majority of supporters being inconvenienced in one way or another over the next few seasons. 

Just seems bizarre to be ranting about a refund because of some extra queuing time but maybe that's just me... 

Correct, cant see no big deal myself, so you may have to arrive earlier for a bit so what, hardly life threatening; at least Dull-moaners can still go in their stand. Its not forever get over it. :facepalm:

Correct, cant see no big deal myself, so you may have to arrive earlier for a bit so what, hardly life threatening; at least Dull-moaners can still go in their stand. Its not forever get over it. :facepalm:

Your attention, Sir, is drawn to Lord Justice Taylor's reports where delayed ingress arrangements were found to be a contributory factor.

• Admin

Try reading the whole thread,you may actually then understand what is being discussed here?

I promise you that we have given this full consideration. We have always said that supporters would have to work with us and be patient during the redevelopment. We have always said that there would be access issues in the Dolman and disruption to match day routines. What I'm trying to do now is to flag these up early so we can do everything we can to make things run as smoothly as possible. 

In response to some of the solutions that have been suggested:

It's not possible to install any more turnstiles. There is simply no space to do this.

We cannot use turnstiles in other stands, as our Safety certificate requires us to strictly control access to individual stands, particularly as we are likely to be pretty full next season.

We certainly can't have people using Williams turnstiles and walking pitch-side in front of away supporters and the tunnel while players are warming up on the pitch.

I will take up the suggestion of  restricting DEH access to Dolman ST holders though. If we can allow access via the corridor to those who have already entered via a turnstile then this could help speed up the access flow to the stand.

What we obviously have to is to make sure that the turnstiles we have are working properly and that all scanners etc are fully operational. We deserve to be called to account if we don't get that right.

But supporters will have to meet us half way. If people aren't prepared to change their pre-match routine to a degree, then there will be problems over which we have no control. We are generally sorry for any inconvenience that might be caused, but we're just asking for a small change in your matchday routine for one season.

Dave, I think most reasonable supporters will take on board what you say - although I think you mean 'genuinely', not 'generally' in your last sentence (or perhaps there are times when you're not sorry?!)

The DEH issue is one that I think should be looked at seriously. I'm not sure why it has to be a case of having a turnstile to get in though: why not allow people to enter the ground through the usual turnstiles, but then restrict access into the bar to the entrance and exit at the bottom of the Dolman Stand steps. That will

a) avoid the rush from the bar to the turnstiles at 2.55

b) incentivise people to arrive early because they'll have something to do for an hour!

I appreciate this limits use to Dolman Stand patrons - but given the reduced numbers in other stands wouldn't that be manageable? And do that many people from the Williams use the DEH anyway??

Just a thought!

• Admin

So if I buy a concert ticket at Wembley which starts at 9.00 and turn up at 8.55 is it Wembley's fault I miss the show?

Clearly not the same context, as we are being told that for everyone to get inside the ground people have to start entering one hour before kick off, remember the times quoted earlier were based on no queuing times.

But yeah I've got to Wembley 5 minutes before an England game on many occasions and still comfortably got to my seat for kick off

Sorry if I missed it but what clauses exist on a season ticket relating to pre match arrival time? The majority sporting event tickets state on the small print to arrive early to guarantee not missing the start of the match. 

The stadium is under going major redevelopment work which as a result has left the majority of supporters being inconvenienced in one way or another over the next few seasons. 

Just seems bizarre to be ranting about a refund because of some extra queuing time but maybe that's just me...

Arrive early? The numaracy has shown us that we're going to average 6 seconds per person for 60 minutes to get everyone in on time. As well as being totally unrealistic to physically achieve, it is also unreasonable to expect supporters to be wholly compliant. I, for example, am lucky to arrive at the ground for 2.45. But that's all the club seem to be suggesting.

Whether nomad is a wum or not, doesn't matter (if he is a sag, he has infinately more problems than us anyway).

The turnstiles couldn't handle the quiet crowds last season and we were waved through gates showing no one a season card.

Like **** this is going to be anything but an absolute shambles. No point saying anything on here before the 1st game we will just have to wait for lessons to be learnt by the club to do something.

Dave perhaps you could play this song to those still queuing outside just before kick off, it might take their mind off things.

http://youtu.be/LElzR8QuXfA

Or perhaps you could put up a giant screen for those who are missing kick off to see what is going on, then they can make up their mind on whether to go in or not.

Clearly not the same context, as we are being told that for everyone to get inside the ground people have to start entering one hour before kick off, remember the times quoted earlier were based on no queuing times.

But yeah I've got to Wembley 5 minutes before an England game on many occasions and still comfortably got to my seat for kick off

But, to be fair, 95% of fans for said England game (many schoolchildren with teachers/parents etc.) have already been in their seats 'savouring the atmosphere' for at least an hour and there only remains the stragglers such as yourself.

Try reading the whole thread,you may actually then understand what is being discussed here?

Done that, its about some moaning fans, moaning cause they might not be able to arrive 10-15mins before the start and walk straight in; the answer is simple get there a bit earlier for a few seasons, or will this be impossible. 

I`ve had a season ticket in the past arrived at 12.30 plenty of time for a drink or 2 and food etc, into the ground just after turnstiles open, job done, rocket science it aint.

Done that, its about some moaning fans, moaning cause they might not be able to arrive 10-15mins before the start and walk straight in; the answer is simple get there a bit earlier for a few seasons, or will this be impossible. 

I`ve had a season ticket in the past arrived at 12.30 plenty of time for a drink or 2 and food etc, into the ground just after turnstiles open, job done, rocket science it aint.

Getting there a bit earlier might not be enough though, unless well over 2000 for the dolman has arrived by 12.30 then you could arrive at 12.31 and still not get in.....

Dave - thanks for the responses.

I take it the Club's Safety Officer is happy with the idea of the route from the gates to the main road being blocked for 40 plus minutes by hundreds, if not thousands, of supporters waiting to get in then. Bizarre. Why not just move the concession van put a few metal barriers in by the side of the Atyeo for season ticket holders and steward people in through the gates.

Assume the safety officer didn't see the mess outside the POTD ticket booths at the first game last year. Assume he/she wasn't concerned that (the assumed) emergency exit between the Williams and Atyeo was blocked by queues for over an hour and a half with people who were getting more and more hacked off with the situation and talk of rushing the gates?

Appreciate there's a building site at the East End but assume a pitch side runoff zone will exist. Even my local park that has a building project going on behind the pitches have retained the run off areas.

Just seems to me we're going for a repeat of last year's farces. Yes, we all understand the building issues ... but a little bit of lateral thinking to ease things up a bit wouldn't go amiss.

Anyhows, it doesn't look like anything's going to change. All I ask is for a decent contingency plan to be put in place, better than away officials taking a grip of the situation at 2.55pm and as they did with the Bradford fans and some City steward opening up the Club shop to process tickets for hundreds of cheesed off supporters at 3:35pm.

Go on then Neil Armstrong, show me the scientific equation necessary to arrive me at AG for the suggested 2.00 when I knock of work from a north Bristol location at 2.00.

Just get to the ground a bit earlier you moaning f-ckwits

The whole point is, if everyone arrives "a bit earlier", many will miss the start of the match. It will take 58 minutes to get a full capacity Dolman crowd into the ground, assuming it only takes 6 seconds per person (not a hope). It will need a lot of people to arrive a lot earlier assuming these people haven't got other commitments. Saturday matches will be bad, but evening matches will be a disaster

I'd like to think we have our Health & Safety Certificates up-to-date, unlike Sheff Wed...

As your epithet befits, you're a 'kid in a riot'. Those who know me will tell you I'm an old school, fat lad who can look after himself. So whilst you were doubtless a glint in your father's eye, or chowing down on a rusk , at our 1990 season opener I was (indeed, recklessly) at the front banging on the gates at Roots Hall. And the reason I'm OK today - I was always nimble on my feet . Had I gone down under the rush that day, I wouldn't be. Such, as the Taylor Report demonstrated, is fate. Now let's assume that day we had 25% of the gate. We're talking < 1,800. Assume 50% were in the ground at 2:55, we're talking 900. By chance serious injuries were avoided that day.

As you're a 'kid' I'll excuse the fact you don't understand the difference between H&S and the licensing responsibilities of the local authority and the SGSA. But I'm a dad who's taken his lad to AG since he was 18 months old. I care for his welfare. I care for the welfare of the old, the young, the infirm who share my sports environment. And that's why the club should be held to account where reasonable questions are being raised and where considered levels of risk management have yet to be demonstrated.

Archived