IGNORED

Dolman Stand Access - Important Information

Dave L

I can remember quite a few years ago when going to see The Who at Ashton gate, these gates between the Atyeo and dolman were open to allow people in. They had a barrier down through the middle, right hand section was for people going into the golden circle area and left hand side for people going into the dolman. Are the rules for these gates different for alternate venues? There was a security steward just checking tickets as people came in which was quick and easy. Are the rules different for football?

No point debating it here.

Just wait until after the Colchester game and it won't be debate, it will be melt down.

No doubt 'lessons will be learned', again.

And people moan football fans are taken as mugs, this is why they are.

We've got the equivalent of the Environment Agency telling us there are storms brewing and the equivalent of the politicians telling us not to be silly, if we can manage just that.

Apart from uttering sarcasm and blasphemies, this club has finally left me lost for words.

Has the idea of a metal security fence between where the burger vans are and the houses opposite, leading into the Dolman, with 6 man sized doorways, manned by six stewards, likewise where the gates between the Atyeo and the players cars, with six man sized gateways been muted, yet?

This idea of everbody just turning up early is amateur in the extreme.

Pathetic 'solution' for a suppossed professional football club, Dave. You know it and we know it.

As your epithet befits, you're a 'kid in a riot'. Those who know me will tell you I'm an old school, fat lad who can look after himself. So whilst you were doubtless a glint in your father's eye, or chowing down on a rusk , at our 1990 season opener I was (indeed, recklessly) at the front banging on the gates at Roots Hall. And the reason I'm OK today - I was always nimble on my feet . Had I gone down under the rush that day, I wouldn't be. Such, as the Taylor Report demonstrated, is fate. Now let's assume that day we had 25% of the gate. We're talking < 1,800. Assume 50% were in the ground at 2:55, we're talking 900. By chance serious injuries were avoided that day.

As you're a 'kid' I'll excuse the fact you don't understand the difference between H&S and the licensing responsibilities of the local authority and the SGSA. But I'm a dad who's taken his lad to AG since he was 18 months old. I care for his welfare. I care for the welfare of the old, the young, the infirm who share my sports environment. And that's why the club should be held to account where reasonable questions are being raised and where considered levels of risk management have yet to be demonstrated.

Digressing slightly (immensely) from the main thrust of your post, I was also at that game - a beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon. 

I remember well the crowd waiting to gain entry to Roots Hall, but do you also remember the poor couple getting married in the church opposite and the typical chants (You'll be sorry, Divorced in the morning, Get your tits out for the boys etc.) and the blushing bride?

How about incentives to reward early arrivals?

A free grease burger and cold cup of tea for arriving before 2pm.

A free paper napkin for arriving before 1:30pm

If this is too much perhaps vouchers for the above or the offer of a free programme issued at a match you are least likely to attend.

Perhaps a signed photo of Buster Footman to anyone there by noon?

Timings would obviously have to change for night matches.

If there are queues for the dolman and you sit in the atyeo will you be able to get through to the stand. Only 2 ways to get into that stand and if people are blocking up that entrance to get into the dolman it will be very hard to get in.

If people have to queue for tickets then queues will be by club shop and other entrance will be difficult to get through. Just hope all cars etc. that use both entrances are in early otherwise could well be an accident waiting to happen.

" A free grease burger and cold cup of tea for arriving before 2pm...."

You've missed the point. If you wish to eat any of the fare on sale at AG you have to have purchased by 2pm as then it'll be an edible temperature by kick off.

Of course the solution to all this is Dave will bring back PRE MATCH ENTERTAINMENT! We can expect:

A parade of the ground by the finest motor vehicles Korea has to offer, ruts all over the corners and a Top Gear type farce trying to get the last one out given it's been bucketing down all morning;

The community copper from Knowle digging out his padded arm and treating us to the savagery of plod's last toothless and mange riddled mutt being able to capture the fat bloke fleeing 'the scene of the crime' - kept me on the straight and narrow did that one;

Parade of animals from whatever circus is in town, though despite the best intentions of animal welfare directives I'd still prefer to see the camel cr***ping on the pitch rather than the Latvian high wire troupe;

I'm assuming Shag Conners is now bothering God with his chickens so it'll be Stoney on the mic with a selection of jokes we won't have heard in ages....and the Away Fans won't hold this against us, for EVER;

And finally he'll bring back the chimps tea party. As with the circus there will be no live primates but our non league neighbours could help out by providing a few of their smaller players and from what I've seen one or two of them wouldn't even have to dress the part.

Open the turnstiles at 12.00 to allow Dolman ticket-holders into the DEH, as mentioned previously issue a diff colour "festival" style wristband to them at each game to allow them to access the stand from the bar. It might require an increase in security staff etc to police it, but a drop in the ocean considering the overall budget for the rebuild. Increased revenue will probably cover it anyway, get a Natch can bar in there too and it'll be a quick turnaround for a lot of people.  

The club should be looking at this as an opportunity, not a problem.

Digressing slightly (immensely) from the main thrust of your post, I was also at that game - a beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon.

I remember well the crowd waiting to gain entry to Roots Hall, but do you also remember the poor couple getting married in the church opposite and the typical chants (You'll be sorry, Divorced in the morning, Get your tits out for the boys etc.) and the blushing bride?

I was there too, don't remember the wedding though. I think I must have been fairly near the front of the queue as I remember seeing the metal panelling being ripped off the fence or turnstiles by city fans. I think we arrived, possibly late, to find only one turnstile open. It was back in the days when you paid cash so each transaction took ages with the operator sorting out change etc. So the turnstiles got busted open and hundreds of us just poured in..to this day I still owe Southend a few quid.

The point being that thankfully Southend was a dump and the fencing easily gave way. It would have been a hell of a crush if the fences were stronger and very frightening. I was crushed at the Gate before, I'm sure it was a night match between us and the Gas, not too long after Hillsborough? Lots of confusion at the time, people being ordered to move to other areas of the ground and then redirected, just a mass of people pushing against each other with no where to go. Gates opened, or were busted open and we all surged in, being swept along with your feet not able to touch the ground is not a nice experience, all the time you are praying you won't fall and be tramped on as you've had it then. You can't breath either, bad enough for an adult never mind a child or an elderly person. We were there early, just sheer volume of people and lack of or slow turnstyles caused the problem as well as misinformation by the club saying stands were full. ( maybe it wasnt the Gas as it wasnt all ticket?) The club had so many complaints and didn't want bad publicity they gave out free tickets for another match, I remember both of us getting a pair of tickets each.

My point is these things happened so easily and could have been avoided. The strong walls and fences we have now won't be as forgiving as those back then, advantages and disadvantages in that if handled well or not.

Please consider DaveL

Open the turnstiles at 12.00 to allow Dolman ticket-holders into the DEH, as mentioned previously issue a diff colour "festival" style wristband to them at each game to allow them to access the stand from the bar. It might require an increase in security staff etc to police it, but a drop in the ocean considering the overall budget for the rebuild. Increased revenue will probably cover it anyway, get a Natch can bar in there too and it'll be a quick turnaround for a lot of people.

The club should be looking at this as an opportunity, not a problem.

Festival style wrist apparel is so mid-1990s, all the cool kids are wearing loom bands these days.

As your epithet befits, you're a 'kid in a riot'. Those who know me will tell you I'm an old school, fat lad who can look after himself. So whilst you were doubtless a glint in your father's eye, or chowing down on a rusk , at our 1990 season opener I was (indeed, recklessly) at the front banging on the gates at Roots Hall. And the reason I'm OK today - I was always nimble on my feet . Had I gone down under the rush that day, I wouldn't be. Such, as the Taylor Report demonstrated, is fate. Now let's assume that day we had 25% of the gate. We're talking < 1,800. Assume 50% were in the ground at 2:55, we're talking 900. By chance serious injuries were avoided that day.

As you're a 'kid' I'll excuse the fact you don't understand the difference between H&S and the licensing responsibilities of the local authority and the SGSA. But I'm a dad who's taken his lad to AG since he was 18 months old. I care for his welfare. I care for the welfare of the old, the young, the infirm who share my sports environment. And that's why the club should be held to account where reasonable questions are being raised and where considered levels of risk management have yet to be demonstrated.

I was at that Southend game and it was one of the scariest situations I've encountered at football. Turnstiles at the bottom of a slope and a massive crush of people trying to get in. I think I was just about the last person to go through the turnstile before they opened the gates and just let everyone in without paying. I know my brother was next to me and got in for free whilst I went through the turnstile and paid!

While there are faults which need ironing out, this above statement is BS.

Really? A few faults that need ironing ironing out inc averaging a 6 second per person admittance for 60 minutes - the professional attitude is that this is both realistic and reasonable. No problem here, is the 'professional' take on it. The professional attitude is that 4800 people can simply get queing at 6.45 on a Tuesday night before the 6 second/60 minute miracle occurs.

This professional approach has been designed by a board with a history of failings to organise a piss up in a pub.

If it was Rovers, we'd be mocking them as tin pot.

• Admin

I was crushed at the Gate before, I'm sure it was a night match between us and the Gas, not too long after Hillsborough? Lots of confusion at the time, people being ordered to move to other areas of the ground and then redirected, just a mass of people pushing against each other with no where to go.

Yeah it was against Rovers, it was the night that season ticket holders were stopped from entering the ground as too many had gone in as POTD

Yeah it was against Rovers, it was the night that season ticket holders were stopped from entering the ground as too many had gone in as POTD

The gates of the Williams were certainly lifted that night and hundreds poored in.

Another total balls up by City - selling the same seat twice on that occassion.

Really? A few faults that need ironing ironing out inc averaging a 6 second per person admittance for 60 minutes - the professional attitude is that this is both realistic and reasonable. No problem here, is the 'professional' take on it. The professional attitude is that 4800 people can simply get queing at 6.45 on a Tuesday night before the 6 second/60 minute miracle occurs.

This professional approach has been designed by a board with a history of failings to organise a piss up in a pub.

If it was Rovers, we'd be mocking them as tin pot.

Exactly. If this was NLBR there would be endless posts on the forum about how disorganised and out of touch they are.  The only difference would be the scale of the problem.  They would be talking about the difficulties getting a few hundred into the ground before kick off.

The gates of the Williams were certainly lifted that night and hundreds poored in.

Another total balls up by City - selling the same seat twice on that occassion.

Crazy night that was. I was initially refused entry to the ground despite having a ST. Luckily I bumped into a steward I knew and he let me in. When I got to my seat there was a bloke sat in it, when I asked him to move as it was my ST seat he replied "F Off mate, this is my seat, I bought my ticket in December" Much hilarity ensued!! and he finally vacated the seat.

Mind you, I wish I had missed it now.

Crazy night that was. I was initially refused entry to the ground despite having a ST. Luckily I bumped into a steward I knew and he let me in. When I got to my seat there was a bloke sat in it, when I asked him to move as it was my ST seat he replied "F Off mate, this is my seat, I bought my ticket in December" Much hilarity ensued!! and he finally vacated the seat.

I was on my way down to the Gate when I heard about the chaos - I turned round and went home and have never regretted it.

It was when the gates were lifted our old man made the call to get his four young sons out of it and head back home.

Very greatful to him in hindsight.

One of the very few physical fights I've ever been apart of followed in school the next day. There's only so much a 12 year old can or should be expected to take!

But it was a hairy night and much anger was directed at the directors boxes in the grandstand.

So shock horror there may be some inconvenience while the works are done.

As this thread points out on numerous occasions, our current ground in its current layout is not fit for purpose. So we are remodelling it....surely a positive.

In the meantime if I have to sit somewhere else, drink somewhere different or queue for longer its not really the end of my world.

Grow a pair people.

So shock horror there may be some inconvenience while the works are done.

As this thread points out on numerous occasions, our current ground in its current layout is not fit for purpose. So we are remodelling it....surely a positive.

In the meantime if I have to sit somewhere else, drink somewhere different or queue for longer its not really the end of my world.

Grow a pair people.

Which bit of us sceptics observations that hoping to admit 4800 people, at a rate of 6 seconds per person, for 60 minutes is going to be helped by us growing a pair?

What's most worrying about all this, is that a simple message put out on an internet forum is deemed an adequate solution to the inevitable carnage that awaits.

Still, the proof will be in the pudding and no doubt

I don't think that is fair, didn't DL say all the ST holders would be e-mailed?

Archived