IGNORED

Celtic -Too Good For Qualifying Rounds

Major Isewater

I wonder how the top English clubs would get on if they had to play a qualifier in July?

Just a thought.

Well, the last premier league team to fail to reach the Champions League group stages was Everton in 2005.

Since their elimination against Villareal (just aboout the toughest draw they could have got, as evidenced by Villareal reaching the semi finals that same season), of the 36 instances of a premier league team competing in the Champions League, six have been eliminated in the group stage, whereas twenty have reached the quarter finals or beyond (with 13 making the semis or final). The other ten made it out of the group, but were knocked out in the last 16.

Put all 4 premier league qualifiers in a knockout round in July against the champions of Poland (e.g. Legia Warsaw this year) / Kazakhstan (e.g. Shakhter Karagandy, who ran Celtic very close last year) / Slovakia (e.g. Artmedia Bratislava, who beat Celtic 5-0 a few years ago), Czech Republic / Serbia / Iceland etc, and I suspect all would make it through.

Not necessarily. Derry City plays in the League of Ireland.

That was due to politics rather than football. So many of the other Ulster clubs refused to travel to Londonderry due to safety concerns that Derry City had to play in the League of Ireland (Republic) to keep the club going.

Some years ago, the Glasgow pair wanting to play in a stronger league looked round Europe.

At the time Holland had two strong teams as did Belgium and Portugal. They looked at forming their own league, it was for some reason going to be named the Atlantic League. UEFA stopped it though.

Celtic & Rangers want to play in the English leagues though for 1) more revenue and 2) to make them stronger so they can progress in Europe. The only benefit to the English clubs would be extra spectators / gate money when home to the pair. The Prem can not be enlarged though, so two English clubs would have to be expelled from the English Prem. If either of the Scottish teams was then relegated, would they drop into the Championship or revert to the Scottish League?

If that were to happen would Aberdeen or Hearts be admitted to our Prem? Oh no, I forgot, it's only Celtic & Rangers who want to move South.

That was due to politics rather than football. So many of the other Ulster clubs refused to travel to Londonderry due to safety concerns that Derry City had to play in the League of Ireland (Republic) to keep the club going.Some years ago, the Glasgow pair wanting to play in a stronger league looked round Europe.At the time Holland had two strong teams as did Belgium and Portugal. They looked at forming their own league, it was for some reason going to be named the Atlantic League. UEFA stopped it though.Celtic & Rangers want to play in the English leagues though for 1) more revenue and 2) to make them stronger so they can progress in Europe. The only benefit to the English clubs would be extra spectators / gate money when home to the pair. The Prem can not be enlarged though, so two English clubs would have to be expelled from the English Prem. If either of the Scottish teams was then relegated, would they drop into the Championship or revert to the Scottish League?If that were to happen would Aberdeen or Hearts be admitted to our Prem? Oh no, I forgot, it's only Celtic & Rangers who want to move South.

You make a very good point, if a UK league were to ever happen there must be promotion and relegation to and from it. The likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United etc must have the chance of a slice of the cake. Taking the Old Firm and then just cutting off the rest of Scottish football would be totally wrong.

Exactly even Neil Lennon got fed up and quit.

Neil Lennon did not get "fed up" his hands were tied with the budget and the board not offering samaras a new deal was the final straw. Neil Lennon loves Celtic but the money Scottish football gets from television deals compared to England it's bloody hard to get good players when sky pay Scottish football around 65 million a season and the team that gets promoted from the championship is worth 120 million. There's no comparison. You can't blame Scottish football to be at a lower standard when this kind of money is getting thrown around. It's celtics fault for not progressing this season due to the board being scared to spend some of their money. A lot of you people on this board slate celtic for all types of reasons on here. And Scottish football. But a lot of you haven't a clue about Scottish football. A lot of people need to watch Scottish football this season and research it more before you post most of this nonsense that's on here.

Neil Lennon did not get "fed up" his hands were tied with the budget and the board not offering samaras a new deal was the final straw. Neil Lennon loves Celtic but the money Scottish football gets from television deals compared to England it's bloody hard to get good players when sky pay Scottish football around 65 million a season and the team that gets promoted from the championship is worth 120 million. There's no comparison. You can't blame Scottish football to be at a lower standard when this kind of money is getting thrown around. It's celtics fault for not progressing this season due to the board being scared to spend some of their money. A lot of you people on this board slate celtic for all types of reasons on here. And Scottish football. But a lot of you haven't a clue about Scottish football. A lot of people need to watch Scottish football this season and research it more before you post most of this nonsense that's on here.

Scottish football is shit.

Please vote yes next month.

6-1 on aggregate to Legia Warsaw. That's embarassing.

It may be an embarrassing result but did you watch the game? And see how good legia Warsaw played? Stretched the game and played good passing football and were fast on the break. You need to remember celtic were down to 10 men in Poland and lost two goals and they missed two penalties. Last night celtic had to play attacking football and at times had two at the back while the wingbacks bombed up the pitch. I'm not trying to make excuses for them but that's why they lost last night too. Counter attacking goals. Legia Warsaw could easily beat city home and away. All I ask is watch the games before you slate them.

6-1 on aggregate to Legia Warsaw. That's embarassing.

It may be an embarrassing result but did you watch the game? And see how good legia Warsaw played? Stretched the game and played good passing football and were fast on the break. You need to remember celtic were down to 10 men in Poland and lost two goals and they missed two penalties. Last night celtic had to play attacking football and at times had two at the back while the wingbacks bombed up the pitch. I'm not trying to make excuses for them but that's why they lost last night too. Counter attacking goals. Legia Warsaw could easily beat city home and away. All I ask is watch the games before you slate them.

This is actually what the thread is all about and the manager he spake with for ked tongue.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/ronny-deila-celtic-are-too-good-for-champions-league-qualifiers-30432915.html

This is actually what the thread is all about and the manager he spake with for ked tongue.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/ronny-deila-celtic-are-too-good-for-champions-league-qualifiers-30432915.html[/quote

It is a bit of a silly decision of a team who was in the last 16 two years ago and the group stages last year and in the group stages 7 out of the past 11 years. When you have teams like anderlect who are straight in the group stages who have a terrible record in the champions league. And correct me if I'm wrong are the holders of the most consecutive losses in the champions league

Two points.

Firstly; the reason it gets naff all football money is because it is utterly dominated by two teams, with the majority of the rest of those teams in even the top division not being able to pull the sort of support that decently supported league two sides manage.  

Thus, the actual audience (especially TV audience) for matches not involving the Auld Firm is pitiful, even when the better supported sides are involved; I've seen some decent info in the past, back when both Glasgow sides were top level, and when they were doing well in Europe, and other than their games, there was absolutely tiny audiences for the other televised games, and the Celtic/Rangers matches weren't even that great.

Additionally, the standard is absolutely (to use a delightful Scottish term) pish.  Even before Rangers' fiscal discrepancies got discovered and they headed down the leagues, and were even doing well in Europe, the domestic game was a shambles.  Yes, the odd excellent player emerged.  And, yes; the odd top class import shone.  But, frankly, the domestic game is in a tailspin, with any true talent leaving, and often finding themselves well outmatched in England.

Take the likes of Mark Reynolds; currently playing for a successful side in the SPL in Aberdeen, and when back at Motherwell as a youngster was considered one of the best Scottish talents.  But when he got his chance looked totally out of his depth at in what as a poor Sheffield Weds side, ending up moving back.  Or Jamie Murphy; once touted as one of the brightest domestic youngsters, yet isn't even the best player at Sheffield Untied now.  There is a long list of 'stars' of that league looking very poor in the English game.

And secondly; I don't say this as an armchair fan.  I lived in Scotland for a good few years, and have relatives there so have seen domestic football over a significant period, and as I've an avid interest, when I could watched a very good amount.

Safe to say, I can tell you; it is right now of a very, very poor standard.  Worse for years.  And though I respect you standing up for it, defending the sort of embarrassing thrashing Celtic got, saying it doesn't speak for the quality of the domestic game there is plain incorrect.

and so will we in so many ways.

Yeah we both will in different ways. But what's the point when Scotland has no say in what happens in Britain. We have voted against so many things like poll tax and bedroom tax and it just gets approved anyway. Why can't we decide ourselves. Scotland doesn't vote Tory. We are a SNP country by a big majority and then labour. What's the point being in Britain when we have no say?

Archived