IGNORED

Celtic -Too Good For Qualifying Rounds

Major Isewater

Ah the tears taste so sweet this morning.

Actually feel so sorry for Legia, they put in two fantastic performances and shouldn't have been let down by their administration like this, but the rules are very clear and this was seemingly the only outcome.

Credit to the UEFA delegate at the game who noticed and pursued the error.

Celtic are still terrible at the moment but even getting pumped again sees us fall straight into the Europa League so it could be worse.

Looking at the full judgement, this is a very technical decision, the guy sat out 3 games of a ban, but UEFA are saying he wasn't registered for those games, strange.

But as long as the real cheats are allowed to prosper, that's ok.

Had a feeling it was something more complicated like this. However I still feel they should have known and I still feel the match officials should have known.

Right decision that they are awarded a 3-0 defeat but should never have got to that point. Poor from Legia and UEFA IMO.

yes and my point is they been put straight through into the group stage!

No they haven't

From BBC:

Celtic are now seeded for the play-off draw and can face Ludogorets of Bulgaria, Maribor of Slovenia, Slovan Bratislava of Slovakia, Malmo of Sweden or Denmark's Aalborg.

Legia Warsaw are not happy - not happy at all. The Polish club's chairman Dariusz Mioduski vows to "fight" Uefa's decision to kick them out of the Champions League, with Celtic taking their place, for fielding an ineligible player.

"Today, the sport lost behind closed doors. We made a mistake, sorry, but the penalty is disproportionate. Stay with us. We fight on," Mioduski he says on Twitter.

What makes this decision totally reprehensible is an action that had no bearing on a game is punished and actions by cheats that every week have a complete bearing on games go totally unpunished, the game has gone mad.

But should we be surprised of course not, exactly how many retrospective decisions were made during the world cup?, just the one as far as I remember and that was sort of out of their hands because of the media storm and as we speak the little shit is appealing and will probably get a ban reduction.

(In reply to Monkeh)

Not surprised at all.

Was an amazing result for them and to be kicked out for a player appearing for a couple of minutes when the tie was dead must be unbelievably painful.

Also wonder how their captain feels this morning knowing if he'd scored just one of the two penalties he missed in the first leg they'd still be going through.

However, disproportionate though it might seem, it is their error and theirs alone. All because of a name not on a piece of paper. Painful.

Yes but rules are rules. A bit like saying "Yes Officer I was doing 70mph in a 30 limit but it was only for 3 minutes".

Unfortunately Tone in football there are a lot of rules and quite a few are totally ignored by the authorities and they not only spoil the game but also bring the game into disrepute, especially when pathetic decisions like this are made.

i don't think its quite as clear cut as they are thinking,

The player in question had a 3 match ban, he missed the home and away tie against st pats and the home tie against celtic so Warsaw thought his ban was up,

UEFA have said he wasn't registered in the squad so therefore didn't serve his ban,

my question is, if the player was banned why would he have to be registered in the match squad?

I think warsaw have good grounds for appeal here

The player in question had a 3 match ban, he missed the home and away tie against st pats and the home tie against celtic so Warsaw thought his ban was up,

UEFA have said he wasn't registered in the squad so therefore didn't serve his ban,

my question is, if the player was banned why would he have to be registered in the match squad?

They were always going to appeal , odd if they didn't. 

I guess from UEFA's point of view if he wasn't registered he couldn't play and so couldn't 'miss' the game to be counted as suspended.

I agree with you though , odd thinking you have to register a player so he can't play.

Wouldn't be surprised whichever way the appeal goes.

Should n't this be on the "Stockhausen" thread Tone ?

Nah.

Or should that be nee, nah, nee, nah, nee, nah - "hello officer, was I really going that fast?"

Depends what they mean by 'registered'. Don't know the ins and outs of football administration like this but as 1960maan said If he's not registered for a match then how can he miss it.

I know it's very picky but still sounds like an administration error from Legia. Schoolboy.

I'll never understand any fan that wants to display a foreign flag ahead of their own national one (by that I mean Scottish flag, no the Union one, and I don't need a history lesson, I know all about it).

Scottish Premier League Champions, and I have NEVER seen a Saltire, or Rampant Lion ANYWHERE in their shitty ground. Can understand the Saltire, but they dont even have green saltires just bloody Irish Tricolours....kick em out of the Scottish League, put em in the Eire League, thats what the flags are...

and get me going on the anti rememberance day stuff their shitty fans pulled aa few years back. Even Irish people are as obsessively sectarian as Celtic are..

Barcelona are making sure that Suarez is registered pdq.

They are registering his teeth separately.

Has Suarez negotiated a separate imaging rights contract for his nashers?   

This 3-0 'fine' for fielding an ineligible player does seem standard, but rather random. Did not Leeds some years back lose away 3-0, got awarded the home one 3-0 for the same reasons, and had to play a decider?

Does beg the question, If you had won one leg 4-0 and it came out for the second leg, why should you still go through? Putting Celtic to one side, always seemed to be more logical that if you get done on this, its just cleaner to say the other team goes through, whatever.

Does beg the question, If you had won one leg 4-0 and it came out for the second leg, why should you still go through?

Correct. In the early years of Euro competition one team won 7-3 at home and then lost the return leg 7-2 and were out. If they had fielded an illegible player for the return leg they'd have won 7-6 on aggregate instead due to the punishment of a 3-0 defeat.

Correct. In the early years of Euro competition one team won 7-3 at home and then lost the return leg 7-2 and were out. If they had fielded an illegible player for the return leg they'd have won 7-6 on aggregate instead due to the punishment of a 3-0 defeat.

I'm not sure the 3-0 punishment would be enforced if they had lost the game by more than that!

I'm not sure the 3-0 punishment would be enforced if they had lost the game by more than that!

Why? The rules state the punishment is a 3-0 defeat. I'm sure some unscrupulous team may remember that (and remind their lawyers of the precedent).

Archived