IGNORED

Celtic -Too Good For Qualifying Rounds

Major Isewater

sky pay Scottish football around 65 million a season and the team that gets promoted from the championship is worth 120 million.

That is an urban myth. For the 2012-2013 season (their most recent in the premier league), Reading FC's audited accounts show total turnover of just over 59 million pounds (compared to just under 15 million pounds for 2011-12, when they were in the Championship).  

Celtic's most recent accounts show annual turnover of almost 76 million pounds.

Two points.

Firstly; the reason it gets naff all football money is because it is utterly dominated by two teams, with the majority of the rest of those teams in even the top division not being able to pull the sort of support that decently supported league two sides

Thus, the actual audience (especially TV audience) for matches not involving the Auld Firm is pitiful, even when the better supported sides are involved; I've seen some decent info in the past, back when both Glasgow sides were top level, and when they were doing well in Europe, and other than their games, there was absolutely tiny audiences for the other televised games, and the Celtic/Rangers matches weren't even that great.

Additionally, the standard is absolutely (to use a delightful Scottish term) pish. Even before Rangers' fiscal discrepancies got discovered and they headed down the leagues, and were even doing well in Europe, the domestic game was a shambles. Yes, the odd excellent player emerged. And, yes; the odd top class import shone. But, frankly, the domestic game is in a tailspin, with any true talent leaving, and often finding themselves well outmatched in England.

Take the likes of Mark Reynolds; currently playing for a successful side in the SPL in Aberdeen, and when back at Motherwell as a youngster was considered one of the best Scottish talents. But when he got his chance looked totally out of his depth at in what as a poor Sheffield Weds side, ending up moving back. Or Jamie Murphy; once touted as one of the brightest domestic youngsters, yet isn't even the best player at Sheffield Untied now. There is a long list of 'stars' of that league looking very poor in the English game.

And secondly; I don't say this as an armchair fan. I lived in Scotland for a good few years, and have relatives there so have seen domestic football over a significant period, and as I've an avid interest, when I could watched a very good amount.

Safe to say, I can tell you; it is right now of a very, very poor standard. Worse for years. And though I respect you standing up for it, defending the sort of embarrassing thrashing Celtic got, saying it doesn't speak for the quality of the domestic game there is plain incorrect.

But remember Scotland is a country of only 5 million. It's going to attract low viewers and attendance due to the fact we are a much smaller country. Secondly. Yes mark Reynolds. And jamie murphy. Mark Reynolds was never going to be a star. He wasn't a great talent. Jamie murphy. Yes your correct but he's still young. Ryan Gauld just moved to sporting Lisbon, Andy Robertson went to Hull for 3 million each. Johnny Russell at derby. Shaun Maloney, Aiden McGeady, James MacArthur and McCarthy. Steven fletcher. James McFadden. Ross McCormack. You are

Missing out a lot of players. Jamie Mcallister and lee Johnson couldn't get a game at hearts but both were key members of the championship play off final season and the promotion season before. Scottish football does have a few talents and it gets a raw deal from a lot of members on here.

Yeah we both will in different ways. But what's the point when Scotland has no say in what happens in Britain. We have voted against so many things like poll tax and bedroom tax and it just gets approved anyway. Why can't we decide ourselves. Scotland doesn't vote Tory. We are a SNP country by a big majority and then labour. What's the point being in Britain when we have no say?

You are joking, every other MP seems to be Scottish and few years ago in the final dark days of new labour we had 2 of you in the top 2 positions and boy they were really shit.

That is an urban myth. For the 2012-2013 season (their most recent in the premier league), Reading FC's audited accounts show total turnover of just over 59 million pounds (compared to just under 15 million pounds for 2011-12, when they were in the Championship).

Celtic's most recent accounts show annual turnover of almost 76 million pounds.

Celtics accounts show that due to SUCCESS in the champions league last 16 and group stages plus the fact they are one of the biggest supported teams in the world. In the top 20? 25? There are celtic supporters clubs all over the U.S and also the stadium holds 60,000 and will bring in good revenue when the crowds come in. The money though in the premier league is disgustingly higher than the SPFL. Celtic can't spend more than 5 million on a player. Bloody Fulham just spent 10 on Ross McCormack. If Celtic were in the premier league. With money they would receive for a squad they would be in the top 10 every year.

You are joking, every other MP seems to be Scottish and few years ago in the final dark days of new labour we had 2 of you in the top 2 positions and boy they were really shit.

Yes they were shit but they were not in Scottish politics. They were in Westminster. Westminster only has England at heart. They don't care about Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland

But remember Scotland is a country of only 5 million. It's going to attract low viewers and attendance due to the fact we are a much smaller country. Secondly. Yes mark Reynolds. And jamie murphy. Mark Reynolds was never going to be a star. He wasn't a great talent. Jamie murphy. Yes your correct but he's still young. Ryan Gauld just moved to sporting Lisbon, Andy Robertson went to Hull for 3 million each. Johnny Russell at derby. Shaun Maloney, Aiden McGeady, James MacArthur and McCarthy. Steven fletcher. James McFadden. Ross McCormack. You are

Missing out a lot of players. Jamie Mcallister and lee Johnson couldn't get a game at hearts but both were key members of the championship play off final season and the promotion season before. Scottish football does have a few talents and it gets a raw deal from a lot of members on here.

RE population; that answers your question on money. 

And I'm not missing players; I'm pointing out that the players you've mentioned were the best in the SPL, yet you've pretty much named all those who are regulars at Prem level, and padded that with some Championship folks too.

And as for McAllister and Johnson not getting games at Hearts; neither could plenty of half decent players, because of the deranged owner, not their ability.

Scottish football, as a whole, is in a ditch right now.  There is little evidence otherwise.

I will argue all night about independence. At the end of the day. Alex salmond says vote on how it will impact yourself the best. And that's what doing. I have a lot of time for Alex salmond after how well he has done In Scottish politics all these years. I get the vote and most of yous won't so it's not for you to decide. If you hate us that much you will be happy for is to be independent.

Celtics accounts show that due to SUCCESS in the champions league last 16 and group stages plus the fact they are one of the biggest supported teams in the world. In the top 20? 25? There are celtic supporters clubs all over the U.S and also the stadium holds 60,000 and will bring in good revenue when the crowds come in. The money though in the premier league is disgustingly higher than the SPFL. Celtic can't spend more than 5 million on a player. Bloody Fulham just spent 10 on Ross McCormack. If Celtic were in the premier league. With money they would receive for a squad they would be in the top 10 every year.

I don't doubt it. What I took issue with is your previous statement that 'the team that gets promoted from the championship is worth 120 million' - it simply isn't true. The Reading example shows that the incremental impact of promotion to the premier league is between 40 million and 50 million pounds per annum (still a heck of a lot of money, admittedly).

If the big two in Scotland were to join the English league, I don't doubt that in time they'd be pushing for top ten / top six / top four (although to challenge for the title they'd probably need Chelsea or Man City scale financial support, which is a different scale altogether).

I will argue all night about independence. At the end of the day. Alex salmond says vote on how it will impact yourself the best. And that's what doing. I have a lot of time for Alex salmond after how well he has done In Scottish politics all these years. I get the vote and most of yous won't so it's not for you to decide. If you hate us that much you will be happy for is to be independent.

Um... "hate you so much"?

Pointing out Scottish football is, bar a handful of players outside the domestic game, terrible right now has naff all to with politics.

Get that chip off your shoulder; you're embarrassing yourself by losing your temper like that.

RE population; that answers your question on money.

And I'm not missing players; I'm pointing out that the players you've mentioned were the best in the SPL, yet you've pretty much named all those who are regulars at Prem level, and padded that with some Championship folks too.

And as for McAllister and Johnson not getting games at Hearts; neither could plenty of half decent players, because of the deranged owner, not their ability.

Scottish football, as a whole, is in a ditch right now. There is little evidence otherwise.

The Scottish championship is not in a Ditch right now. Plus it's hard for the wee clubs to gain income. The gap between all divisions in England and Scotland between the premier leagues and the lower leagues is shocking. The fact that rangers went down is actually doing some good to us "wee" clubs. And bringing the divide closer. The Scottish championship will be a bloody good league this season. Due to "Scottish football standards". And jamie Mcallister and lee Johnson wasn't good enough for hearts. Fact. Lee Johnson better than Paul Hartley? No. Jamie Mcallister better than takis fyssas? No. He was a Greek international who played with benfica. The point I'm making is. Most Scottish prem teams are far better than Bristol city at this moment

Um... "hate you so much"?

Pointing out Scottish football is, bar a handful of players outside the domestic game, terrible right now has naff all to with politics.

Get that chip off your shoulder; you're embarrassing yourself by losing your temper like that.

My temper is intact and I was replying to a person regarding independence.

The Scottish championship is not in a Ditch right now. Plus it's hard for the wee clubs to gain income. The gap between all divisions in England and Scotland between the premier leagues and the lower leagues is shocking. The fact that rangers went down is actually doing some good to us "wee" clubs. And bringing the divide closer. The Scottish championship will be a bloody good league this season. Due to "Scottish football standards". And jamie Mcallister and lee Johnson wasn't good enough for hearts. Fact. Lee Johnson better than Paul Hartley? No. Jamie Mcallister better than takis fyssas? No. He was a Greek international who played with benfica. The point I'm making is. Most Scottish prem teams are far better than Bristol city at this moment

Yeah, no.

It is as poor as it has been; I've seen it with my own eyes.

The divide might be closer, but bridging the gap between poor and not-so-poor doesn't make them better overall; Celtic will still walk the league playing in the lowest gear.

You need to stop taking the decline of the domestic game up there so personally, pal.

Yeah, no.

It is as poor as it has been; I've seen it with my own eyes.

The divide might be closer, but bridging the gap between poor and not-so-poor doesn't make them better overall; Celtic will still walk the league playing in the lowest gear.

You need to stop taking the decline of the domestic game up there so personally, pal.

It is better for the wee clubs to bridge the gap. And I am a wee club supporter. Queen of the south. Stephen Dobbie. There's a player that came from us to Swansea and look what that man done. City fans were wanting him signed not so long ago. The Scottish game is in decline regarding the premiership title and that's all down to rangers and mr Murray trying to win the champions league by making silly signings like tore Andre flo at 11 or 12

Million. And all those EBT's. I am sorry and not trying to argue with you atall. Yes it's declining but it's not as bad as all these people on here say it is with barely a handful who even have watched Scottish football. Ive made my point but people who criticise it so much have never watched it. I never win this argument anyway haha.

It is better for the wee clubs to bridge the gap. And I am a wee club supporter. Queen of the south. Stephen Dobbie. There's a player that came from us to Swansea and look what that man done. City fans were wanting him signed not so long ago. The Scottish game is in decline regarding the Premier League title and that's all down to rangers and mr Murray trying to win the champions league by making silly signings like tore Andre flo at 11 or 12

Million. And all those EBT's. I am sorry and not trying to argue with you atall. Yes it's declining but it's not as bad as all these people on here say it is with barely a handful who even have watched Scottish football. Ive made my point but people who criticise it so much have never watched it. I never win this argument anyway haha.

Except I have, and over a period of many years, so take that as you will.

I know what I know, while you clearly find it hard to accept for some reason that seems tied to issues that have nothing to do with football.

Bored now; I'm out.

My temper is intact and I was replying to a person regarding independence.

Guarantee Scottish Independence, give the English a vote.

The bit I find amazing about the whole affair is that you have to vote first and then sit down and work out the terms. How can you all fall for that Salmond rubbish about keeping the pound and automatic entrance into the EU.

Anyway back to Scottish football, I watched a bit of Rangers v Hibs, if you thought Celtic were poor you should have watched that rubbish. League 2 at best.

UEFA have just announced that there is some question about the legibility of one Legia Warsaw players, depending on outcome Celtic may be saved yet!

If that one ineligible player can influence a 6-1 aggregate score so much, he must be Superman.

Good you have a choice on independence as far as I'm concerned.  If you do leave the UK my concern is years of right wing government the rest of us.  Think I'll move to Cornwall and agitate for independence if you go.   :yes:

It may be an embarrassing result but did you watch the game? And see how good legia Warsaw played? Stretched the game and played good passing football and were fast on the break. You need to remember celtic were down to 10 men in Poland and lost two goals and they missed two penalties. Last night celtic had to play attacking football and at times had two at the back while the wingbacks bombed up the pitch. I'm not trying to make excuses for them but that's why they lost last night too. Counter attacking goals. Legia Warsaw could easily beat city home and away. All I ask is watch the games before you slate them.

Hello.

I watched St Patricks of Ireland play Legia off the park in Poland, but for a 92nd minute equaliser, would have won.

I suppose they're on a par with Man City tho...

But... surely the game is as long as the game is; you haven't 'held on' if you buckle in the last minutes.

Agreed.

The other thing that amazes me is people talk about BCFC moving 4 places up the league when we are 1 - nil up after 20 mins. I always thought the game was 90 minutes long.

I for one am all for Scottish Independence. The problem for you all is that in a few years your country, economy etc will end up in a ditch called "The Salmond Fault" in equal proportions to the ditch in which your football lives. As with the state of your football the recovery will be very slow and very painful to watch.

Archived