IGNORED

Cotterill: Legend

AshtonGreat

Luck alone does not get you 28 points from 12 matches.

Yes, we've had some go our way, but Cotts has also put together a capable looking side, played them in a formation best suited to them, and given them the drive to go out and claim the points needed.

He's doing an excellent job; trick will be if we can sustain the performance when luck goes against us, but right now that isn't the biggest factor anyhow.

Exquisitely timed for the 94th minute

The game is 90 minutes of 'playing time', the winner was scored within that 90 minutes of 'playing time'. The points go to the team who score most goals and not for the first time this season we scored most goals in this game. The only fools are in Chesterfields defence who failed to defend right up to the final minute of play.

Absolute nonsense. The timing of a goal is completely unrelated to luck.

Were Man Utd "lucky" to win the Champions League in 1999? No, it was their skill and persistence that was rewarded with two late goals. Nothing to do with luck whatsoever.

In your opinion. Interesting comparison with the best side in Europe at that time.

In mine- we were lucky.

I agree and so is the pathetic nit picking aimed at him, mainly by the people who predicted the apocalypse.

The "pathetic nit picking", as you describe it, is nothing as bad as what SC gets in the ground sometimes within earshot so I'm sure he won't lose any sleep over it - and especially not the majority of criticism on here which is constructive. I've been consistent in my view that SC will be successful at City from the moment the pursestrings were loosened in January and then again he was allowed to spend unbelievable money at this level in the summer, so I don't know who you're referring to in the last part of your one-liner!

The game is 90 minutes of 'playing time', the winner was scored within that 90 minutes of 'playing time'. The points go to the team who score most goals and not for the first time this season we scored most goals in this game. The only fools are in Chesterfields defence who failed to defend right up to the final minute of play.

Well said EMB - that's precisely the point- it was scored in the final minute of extra time- Chesterfield were just as likely to score . They didn't, we did and I believe we were lucky to do so.

Result.

Well said EMB - that's precisely the point- it was scored in the final minute of extra time- Chesterfield were just as likely to score . They didn't, we did and I believe we were lucky to do so.

Result.

You could apply the same logic to any one minute of match from the first to the last; therefore on this basis every goal we ever score is "lucky".

Luck has nothing to do with timing.

It is said that when appointing his Generals, Napoleon asked not whether they were good but whether they were lucky.

Winning a title is a blend of good signings,  astute strategy and luck and Steve has, so far, had all three.

To say we we were anything but lucky in grabbing the winner in the last minute of extra time is fool's talk. 

So I'm guessing that Wellington went with the 'good' Generals then? 

I'd be interested to know a few stats compared to previous seasons.

The amount of shots on target each game, for and against.

Stats prove that the more shots you have on target, the greater the chance you have of winning...which is pretty logical.

But it also depends on another factor... Teams leading for the majority of a game tend to win also.

Plus having greater % of possession.

So if you score first and hold a lead for the majority of the game, have more shots on target and keep possession more, you are more likely to win. Which in theory is pretty logical.

Stats also prove the highest percentage outcome for any game is a 1-1 draw. Which seems rather odd considering score draw predictions.

I'd be interested to know a few stats compared to previous seasons.

The amount of shots on target each game, for and against.

Stats prove that the more shots you have on target, the greater the chance you have of winning...which is pretty logical.

But it also depends on another factor... Teams leading for the majority of a game tend to win also.

Plus having greater % of possession.

So if you score first and hold a lead for the majority of the game, have more shots on target and keep possession more, you are more likely to win. Which in theory is pretty logical.

Stats also prove the highest percentage outcome for any game is a 1-1 draw. Which seems rather odd considering score draw predictions.

take a look @ our GD haven't seen it looking that good for ages :clapping:  :clapping:

Why on earth would you believe that? It makes no sense.

Not everything in life makes sense- particularly so on a forum.  Take the OP and talk of "legend" status for SC- it doesn't any make sense to me any more than my belief that we were lucky to nick it in the final minute of extra time does to you.

It's just good old opinions. Whether it was luck or not matters not to another fantastic result.

It is fortunate to score in the last minute of injury because it leaves the opposition no serious amount of time to respond. Unless you are playing Leyton Orient.

I do not believe in 'luck', though.

fortunate

?f??t?(?)n?t/
adjective

1. favoured by or involving good luck; lucky.

Well said, Tim !!

fortunate

?f??t?(?)n?t/

adjective

• favoured by or involving good luck; lucky.

Well said, Tim !!

Just trying to lighten the mood on here - honest!

OP (who I suspect is fairly young) has explained his silly figure of speech isn't to be taken literally, but was crucified.

Cotterill has delivered our best calendar year to date ever an is being called lucky.

And now even my sophistry has been exposed.

Harsh, people. Very, very harsh.

Cotterill IMO will only be a 'legend' if he takes us to the Premier League...

If he achieves that then he truly deserves that status.

I'd sack him as soon as we got promoted, he's a good lower league manager, if we are to progress then we need to be more cut throat.

My first step would be to get an experienced championship manager who knows the league inside out and has recent success in getting teams promoted from the championship.

This isn't going to be a popular post but if we are to progress then we need to be heartless and cut throat, I honestly don't see SC capable of taking us that far.

Tin hat on.....

I'd sack him as soon as we got promoted, he's a good lower league manager, if we are to progress then we need to be more cut throat.

My first step would be to get an experienced championship manager who knows the league inside out and has recent success in getting teams promoted from the championship.

This isn't going to be a popular post but if we are to progress then we need to be heartless and cut throat, I honestly don't see SC capable of taking us that far.

Tin hat on.....

Some didn't think he'd be able to progress us as far as he has, Wolfie. Remember the sage pronouncements that he was a "hoofball merchant" who favours "over-the-hill journeymen"?

He proved many wrong in that respect, and he may prove others wrong in a higher division. I'm sure Steve can see the potential of having a really successful club in Britain's sixth biggest city. That will to succeed, pushed on by the passion shown by us fans, is driving him to be in the managerial form of his life. 

If we're promoted I'd not take a leap in the dark and break up a successful unit. Yes, squad changes will be required and unavoidable, but I think Cotts has shown his transfer market cannyness and his ability to inspire the team. I'm sure he has something to prove in the Championship, and we could be the team he does that with.

Tin hat on.....

Fair play... its official... you are CLUELESS and know NOTHING about football.......

Archived