IGNORED

Cotterill: Legend

AshtonGreat

He's doing. Great job, as he did last season.

I don't want us to make the same mistake we did with GJ and let him do what he wanted, which externally seemed as though he did exactly that.

My biggest fears history repeating itself and us being back in league one yo yo-ing between here and the championship.

The problem is that a lot of our fans are used to mediocrity, it's completely and utterly justified really, I've been following city for 30 years and there has been a few good moments but generally we are ingrained by mediocrity and the mindset that comes with it.

My comment about sacking SC was more about changing that settling for mediocrity mindset. I personally don't believe based on his past record and from some of the things I witness that he is capable of getting us promoted to the premier league.

I think that I'm justified in my opinion, others may disagree (some already have obviously), however my point is why carry on the way we have for the last 30 years, why not (if we get promoted) aim for promotion straight to the premiere league rather than scraping to survive relegation.

We/us/you need to think big, aim high, everyone has their role to play IMHO Sc is to get us out of this league but then.................THEN instead of thinking about survival, think big, life's too short for mediocrity.

Please note that I think SC is doing a great job, were top of the league and I hope it stays that way but it is my opinion that we will finish in the top 6. It is also my opinion that if we do go up automatically then why not THINK BIG?

I understand where you're coming from. But I feel you have to give him a chance at that level, if we do go up, as he will have earnt it. By all means we don't want to be settling for mediocrity if it wasn't working out, but you have to back your man - he's continuing to do a great job, and if he gets us promoted, then he has earnt the trust to further build on that in the Championship.

Long way to go though, let's focus on Coventry away and keeping this great run going. I'm enjoying the ride, we don't get many times like this as City fans!

I understand where you're coming from. But I feel you have to give him a chance at that level, if we do go up, as he will have earnt it. By all means we don't want to be settling for mediocrity if it wasn't working out, but you have to back your man - he's continuing to do a great job, and if he gets us promoted, then he has earnt the trust to further build on that in the Championship.

Long way to go though, let's focus on Coventry away and keeping this great run going. I'm enjoying the ride, we don't get many times like this as City fans!

There's nothing there that you've written that I could possibly disagree with however there always the chance of a bad start and the chairman/board keeping blind faith in a man digging a huge long term hole for the club ala Gary Johnson.

I'd be gunning for Malkay McKay if we got promoted but again, just MY opinion.

Yep that's correct, my opinion differs from yours, wow you are just a fountain of knowledge, a wealth of intelligence, so. Much so that you can't even respect people's views and aspirations for the club may differ from yours.

Don't bother replying, I've popped you on ignore, I suggest you do the same as I know nothing anyway.

Ah thanks.... you know what they say... heat..kitchen and all that....

Yep that's correct, my opinion differs from yours, wow you are just a fountain of knowledge, a wealth of intelligence, so. Much so that you can't even respect people's views and aspirations for the club may differ from yours.

Don't bother replying, I've popped you on ignore, I suggest you do the same as I know nothing anyway.

Well said Wolfie!  :yes:

Had forgotten about the ignore feature - think i might join you on that one as Tetbury's wit, intellect and debating skills are all getting too much for me!! Sometimes you've just gotta admit you've been beaten by the better man/woman!

There's nothing there that you've written that I could possibly disagree with however there always the chance of a bad start and the chairman/board keeping blind faith in a man digging a huge long term hole for the club ala Gary Johnson.

I'd be gunning for Malkay McKay if we got promoted but again, just MY opinion.

Yeah, that's the key. Southampton sacked Adkins when they realised they were struggling in the new division, and had the foresight to appoint a better equipped manager. Many people thought that was rash at the time, including me, but they've been vindicated. We waited far too long when it was going wrong under Johnson, and I would like to think Steve L et al have learnt from that experience. If we do get promotion this year, we need to continue to back the manager with the policy of signing young, improving players; not highly paid journeymen like Stern John. Our recruitment this summer has shown how it should be done, and long may it continue.

I'd sack him as soon as we got promoted, he's a good lower league manager, if we are to progress then we need to be more cut throat.

My first step would be to get an experienced championship manager who knows the league inside out and has recent success in getting teams promoted from the championship.

This isn't going to be a popular post but if we are to progress then we need to be heartless and cut throat, I honestly don't see SC capable of taking us that far.

Tin hat on.....

I can see where your coming from Wolfie but I agree with RedJim on the fact that the board must give him a chance, however the Championship is a far more difficult league than League 1 and it would be the acid test for SC. If he consolidated and then built on that, then that would be a great thing.

S'OD.... dont you read the forum.......  :facepalm:

Believe it was a combination of SOD, SC and of course Keith Burt

People will deny it... but because of our start, there is definitely an underlying feeling of certain promotion and that we should be promoted.

To be frank....with our squad in this league I'd be disappointed if we were not promoted.

It would be interesting what people think of SC if we failed to get promotion.

We've been 'lucky' so far, in as we've had a settled winning team, with no injuries, and SC has had a choice of a fit squad.

I echo this post spud, I've asked that question before but everyone avoids to answer it especially the expectant ones ;) for me if we do get promotion then great but if we don't, we don't. Years of disappointment season on season has worn my expectancy and enthusiasm.

the luck seems to go with you when you are top or near the top the luck goes against you when we are bottom as we have found out over the last few seasons to our cost

That's true- upto a point.

City are flying at the moment and apart from Baldocks wrongly ruled out goal earlier this season City have had the lions share of good fortune. Scoring the winner with 90 secs is an example of that. Add to that the confidence and belief within the squad it all amounts to City making their own luck.

I'm convinced this will be our season to get promoted.

Well said Wolfie! :yes:

Had forgotten about the ignore feature - think i might join you on that one as Tetbury's wit, intellect and debating skills are all getting too much for me!! Sometimes you've just gotta admit you've been beaten by the better man/woman!

Didn't fancy replying to Nogbad who has made a very good argument, yet you chose to ignore it.

I really don't get this Kid.

I can just about understand - although I didn't share them - people having severe misgivings about his appointment and voicing them at the time. Feelings were running high.

However SC kept City up with some style, his team plays exciting, entertaining, and WINNING football, he's made a number of superb signings, and less than one year on, - almost unbelievably - Bristol City sit unbeaten at the top of the league they looked likely to exit ignominiously under his predecessor.

Whatever your thoughts at the time, how can you fail to be impressed since by the man who has made such a huge improvement to the enjoyment of being a BCFC fan?

What exactly has Mr.Cotterill got to do for you to accept that he's not only proving to be an excellent manager for BCFC, but his appointment is increasingly looking like a masterstroke?

Change his name to Sean and mutter mock profundities in a barely audible monotone.

I reckon that would do the trick, Noggers!

I don't want us to make the same mistake we did with GJ and let him do what he wanted, which externally seemed as though he did exactly that.

My biggest fears history repeating itself and us being back in league one yo yo-ing between here and the championship.

The problem is that a lot of our fans are used to mediocrity, it's completely and utterly justified really, I've been following city for 30 years and there has been a few good moments but generally we are ingrained by mediocrity and the mindset that comes with it.

My comment about sacking SC was more about changing that settling for mediocrity mindset. I personally don't believe based on his past record and from some of the things I witness that he is capable of getting us promoted to the premier league.

I think that I'm justified in my opinion, others may disagree (some already have obviously), however my point is why carry on the way we have for the last 30 years, why not (if we get promoted) aim for promotion straight to the premiere league rather than scraping to survive relegation.

We/us/you need to think big, aim high, everyone has their role to play IMHO Sc is to get us out of this league but then.................THEN instead of thinking about survival, think big, life's too short for mediocrity.

Please note that I think SC is doing a great job, were top of the league and I hope it stays that way but it is my opinion that we will finish in the top 6. It is also my opinion that if we do go up automatically then why not THINK BIG?

I know precisely what you're saying and there's logic behind it especially when you look at the Managerial merry go round at Swansea and Southampton- the best time to change a Manager is when you're doing well.

No one knows how SC will develop but he has my vote and I think he's just what we need in this League and the one above.Let's get there first though!

I really don't get this Kid.

I can just about understand - although I didn't share them - people having severe misgivings about his appointment and voicing them at the time. Feelings were running high.

However SC kept City up with some style, his team plays exciting, entertaining, and WINNING football, he's made a number of superb signings, and less than one year on, - almost unbelievably - Bristol City sit unbeaten at the top of the league they looked likely to exit ignominiously under his predecessor.

Whatever your thoughts at the time, how can you fail to be impressed since by the man who has made such a huge improvement to the enjoyment of being a BCFC fan?

What exactly has Mr.Cotterill got to do for you to accept that he's not only proving to be an excellent manager for BCFC, but his appointment is increasingly looking like a masterstroke?

I don't share your view the football has been that fantastic to be honest. The biggest plus that SC has brought to City is belief, however he's done it he has the players high on confidence at the moment and that's his biggest asset IMO. Tactically, the way he's using his squad - not convinced at all at the moment. The signings were excellent - said that at the time - amazed we got them to be honest, probably 4 summer signings who are C'ship quality. The club clearly made a conscious decision to "go for it" this season and so far it looks like that's paying off - BUT a long way to go before we can start saying he's excellent or his appointment was a "masterstroke"!

He still nauses me off a little only the other night on Sky we had him after the game saying "Cheltenham Town is about more than just Steve Cotterill"! To be honest I just laugh now....

I'm thoroughly enjoying supporting City at the moment Noggers, don't worry about that :thumbsup:

and you can categorically confirm that sacking him will stop the yo yo ing?

and pray who would you give the job to?, ah I see now a bloke who has proved to be racist and sexist, lovely.

Are you really advocating that should we be promoted that the first move after enjoying a celebratory booze up should be to bin the manager?...would be a bold move indeed!..of course this won't happen-SC will be given a crack at the Championship with the team he's led there and rightly so..only time will tell if the board should need to look elsewhere for a chance of pushing on.it may well indeed be the case-just lets get there first as its no stick on just yet.

I don't share your view the football has been that fantastic to be honest. The biggest plus that SC has brought to City is belief, however he's done it he has the players high on confidence at the moment and that's his biggest asset IMO. Tactically, the way he's using his squad - not convinced at all at the moment. The signings were excellent - said that at the time - amazed we got them to be honest, probably 4 summer signings who are C'ship quality. The club clearly made a conscious decision to "go for it" this season and so far it looks like that's paying off - BUT a long way to go before we can start saying he's excellent or his appointment was a "masterstroke"!

He still nauses me off a little only the other night on Sky we had him after the game saying "Cheltenham Town is about more than just Steve Cotterill"! To be honest I just laugh now....

I'm thoroughly enjoying supporting City at the moment Noggers, don't worry about that :thumbsup:

What better than somebody's whose first sentence after the opening game of last season was "we learned a lot" 18 games later it didn't seem like it did it?.

or more importantly one had a 25% win ratio here and another is closing in on a 50% win ratio.

For balance and to to be 'honest' most Forest fans view his reign as one of initially keeping them in the championship (which he did) but overall as being handed a poison chalice.

Particularly as there was a transfer embargo in place

The thing is Spud, whatever one makes of SC's reign at Forest, he had more success there than SOD had here.

He was also successful at Notts County, Burnley - and my Stokie friend said he was well regarded there but was stitched up by the Icelandic board.

It's pretty pointless raking over the past, but reading that old thread that has been dredged up elsewhere shows - among other things - waaaaaaay too much weight was given to the opinion of a handful of bitter Forest fans. And as we all know, they call themselves "the famous club " and think they've got some God given right to be in the PL.

Unfortunately the legacy of some fans insults at the time of Steve's appointment (and I'm not talking about you here) means that those of us who at the time were saying "let"s see how he does" still feel angry at our treatment on Otib.

Same here fella... I also don't want to go over old ground regarding both managers, as I've discussed before, a lot depends on the situation at a Club and how a manager works their.

Not saying either was better or worse at Forest but the stats show this...

G W D L Win, draw and Loss %

32 Sean O'Driscoll 20 Jul 2012 26 Dec 2012 26 10 9 7 38.5% 34.6% 26.9%

31 Steve Cotterill 14 Oct 2011 12 Jul 2012 38 12 7 19 31.6% 18.4%

50.0%

Same here fella... I also don't want to go over old ground regarding both managers, as I've discussed before, a lot depends on the situation at a Club and how a manager works their.

Not saying either was better or worse at Forest but the stats show this...

G W D L Win, draw and Loss %

32 Sean O'Driscoll 20 Jul 2012 26 Dec 2012 26 10 9 7 38.5% 34.6% 26.9%

31 Steve Cotterill 14 Oct 2011 12 Jul 2012 38 12 7 19 31.6% 18.4%

50.0%

A masterful evasion Spud, and one that ignores the point I was trying to make, which wasn't to compare how different people did whilst at the City Ground, West Bridgeford, but to say that Cotts at Forest - where according to some he was a "disaster" - had a 34.43% win rate, whereas SOD's record HERE was a 25% win rate.

I agree with you that different managers suit different clubs at different times. There's no one size fits all prescription. I reckon Mourinho might be a disaster if he tried his hand at Bath City, for example... 

A masterful evasion Spud, and one that ignores the point I was trying to make, which wasn't to compare how different people did whilst at the City Ground, West Bridgeford, but to say that Cotts at Forest - where according to some he was a "disaster" - had a 34.43% win rate, whereas SOD's record HERE was a 25% win rate.

I agree with you that different managers suit different clubs at different times. There's no one size fits all prescription. I reckon Mourinho might be a disaster if he tried his hand at Bath City, for example... 

That wasn't my intention fella... I was actually agreeing with you.

SoD statistically did better than SC at Forest, but it's the other way round here...horses for courses and at different times.

Finding one that fits, at the right time, seems to be the recipe for success.

That will annoy him, how is he supposed to troll you now? I suppose he has kitr in his sights now

This is the best football I've seen us play since I starting watching (2003). 

Anyone who says otherwise must have some sort of agenda. 

There certainly seems a close correlation between those currently offering "constructive criticism" and those most vociferous in opposition to Cotterill's appointment.

Archived