IGNORED

Cotterill: Legend

AshtonGreat

I'd sack him as soon as we got promoted, he's a good lower league manager, if we are to progress then we need to be more cut throat.

My first step would be to get an experienced championship manager who knows the league inside out and has recent success in getting teams promoted from the championship.

This isn't going to be a popular post but if we are to progress then we need to be heartless and cut throat, I honestly don't see SC capable of taking us that far.

Tin hat on.....

Funnily enough you're not the first person I've heard advocating we get rid of SC if we get promoted!

Personally I'd give him a season up there as I think he'd keep us up comfortably but I'd be looking for a replacement, a manager proven at that level or even higher to progress us up the table and onto the top flight.

It has worked for other clubs. Everyone thought Southampton were mad to sack Adkins and they haven't looked back since...

People will deny it... but because of our start, there is definitely an underlying feeling of certain promotion and that we should be promoted.

To be frank....with our squad in this league I'd be disappointed if we were not promoted.

It would be interesting what people think of SC if we failed to get promotion.

We've been 'lucky' so far, in as we've had a settled winning team, with no injuries, and SC has had a choice of a fit squad.

I'd sack him as soon as we got promoted, he's a good lower league manager, if we are to progress then we need to be more cut throat.

My first step would be to get an experienced championship manager who knows the league inside out and has recent success in getting teams promoted from the championship.

This isn't going to be a popular post but if we are to progress then we need to be heartless and cut throat, I honestly don't see SC capable of taking us that far.

Tin hat on.....

You have summed up why I hate the modern game in one post.  Fairplay to you.

People will deny it... but because of our start, there is definitely an underlying feeling of certain promotion and that we should be promoted.

To be frank....with our squad in this league I'd be disappointed if we were not promoted.

We've been 'lucky' so far, in as we've had a settled winning team, with no injuries, and SC has had a choice of a fit squad.

Who made that squad?

Funnily enough you're not the first person I've heard advocating we get rid of SC if we get promoted!

Personally I'd give him a season up there as I think he'd keep us up comfortably but I'd be looking for a replacement, a manager proven at that level or even higher to progress us up the table and onto the top flight.

It has worked for other clubs. Everyone thought Southampton were mad to sack Adkins and they haven't looked back since...

Well you have changed your tune haven't you...... We you not the leader of the pack that didn't want him here under any circumstances.....??

When are people going to realise that its not about what THEY want..... its all about what Mr Lansdown wants.........

Still not convinced by this 'luck' business.

Although unknown to us, everything that can happen has a mathematical probability attached to it and if extrapolated out ten billion times, analysts would spot trends.

We only associate good or bad 'luck' to it if what does actually happen is to our advantage or not.

The law of averages would dictate, given a large enough number of seasons, that one year we will go a whole season with no injuries at all. Over the course of a million seasons, there is also a probability that we will have every single player injured at the same time.

This season it could be the affect of the desso pitch, it could be that the current group are less physiologically prone to injury, it could be some very subtle alteration in training, who knows?

Labelling it 'luck' seems a little 15th century in that just because we can't explain something, doesn't mean to say that there are no reasons for it.

Although unknown to us, everything that can happen has a mathematical probability attached to it and if extrapolated out ten billion times, analysts would spot trends.

We only associate good or bad 'luck' to it if what does actually happen is to our advantage or not.

The law of averages would dictate, given a large enough number of seasons, that one year we will go a whole season with no injuries at all. Over the course of a million seasons, there is also a probability that we will have every single player injured at the same time.

This season it could be the affect of the desso pitch, it could be that the current group are less physiologically prone to injury, it could be some very subtle alteration in training, who knows?

Labelling it 'luck' seems a little 15th century in that just because we can't explain something, doesn't mean to say that there are no reasons for it.

Luckily you were able to explain that ;)

Well you have changed your tune haven't you...... We you not the leader of the pack that didn't want him here under any circumstances.....??

When are people going to realise that its not about what THEY want..... its all about what Mr Lansdown wants.........

Just because I'm not a massive fan of SC doesn't cloud my judgement as to what I feel he can achieve here. We already have several first-teamers who are C'ship standard and with further backing from SL we know we can survive in the C'ship at least for one season under SC.

I would like to see us have a plan going forward though. Last time under GJ there appeared to be no plan, just let him see how far he can take us...

I can assure you tetbury no-one is more aware of who runs this club than me!! However I would advise you read the text at the top of this page: Bristol City FANS' FORUM.

Just because I'm not a massive fan of SC doesn't cloud my judgement as to what I feel he can achieve here. We already have several first-teamers who are C'ship standard and with further backing from SL we know we can survive in the C'ship at least for one season under SC.

I would like to see us have a plan going forward though. Last time under GJ there appeared to be no plan, just let him see how far he can take us...

I can assure you tetbury no-one is more aware of who runs this club than me!! However I would advise you read the text at the top of this page: Bristol City FANS' FORUM.

Sorry Mr S Lansdown........ I didn't realise you were a regular poster... apologises.

Interestingly enough, Steve has talked on several occasions about needing "that little bit of luck" - luck alone will never win a title but can change a loss to a draw and a draw into a win. Were we better than Chesterfield ? - same no of corners/shots on target/possession and we nick it in the final mitute of extra time.

I believe we were "unlucky"  not win the Orient match but it all gets a bit subjective/philosophical - e.g. bad ref decision or unlucky to have a bad ref?

That point we hang on to when we would've lost a year ago..late winner our way,rather than t'uther?...It's called belief..you can't buy it,you can only find it and when you do it's a priceless commodity.

This goes right to the top of the most idiotic OTIB threads. Legend, promotion, sacking manager when we get promoted what on earth are you all on about.. Fans to earth, fans to earth...

After the last 4 years, I would rather focus on the away game at Coventry and staying top of the league. 

Cool...focus away...what are you going to do by focusing on it... how are you going to beat them and continue this great run?

I have to agree with you here.

Without sounding boring (which I probably will) what we are talking about here is probability rather than luck. Take a pack of cards, pick one, before turning it over you tell me if it is red or black, get it right you have a one in two chance. Same pack, take a card out, before turning it over, tell me what card it is...1 in 52 chance, i.e. do it 52 times and you will eventually get in right (in theory).

So apply that to football. Joe Bryan has picked the ball up on the left side of the box, he hits a low hard cross in to the near post, and their defender scores an own goal. Luck or probability that do it enough times and something will happen? Its no coincidence that we often hear 'hit the cross low and hard'.

You make your own luck, but that is because if you do things enough times, the result you want will come off.

I have to agree with you here.

Without sounding boring (which I probably will) what we are talking about here is probability rather than luck. Take a pack of cards, pick one, before turning it over you tell me if it is red or black, get it right you have a one in two chance. Same pack, take a card out, before turning it over, tell me what card it is...1 in 52 chance, i.e. do it 52 times and you will eventually get in right (in theory).

So apply that to football. Joe Bryan has picked the ball up on the left side of the box, he hits a low hard cross in to the near post, and their defender scores an own goal. Luck or probability that do it enough times and something will happen? Its no coincidence that we often hear 'hit the cross low and hard'.

You make your own luck, but that is because if you do things enough times, the result you want will come off.

So if I chose a card and then turn up that very one on my first go - is it probability at work or luck?

If there had been only 3 minutes of extra time then we wouldn't have been so lucky...... or were we destined to score the winner no matter how much extra time was added?

I really should stop smoking this stuff.

What an entertaining read.

Suggesting SC is a legend would be bonkers but probably isn't what the OP meant in a literal sense.

So to re-dress the balance we have the manager that has taken us from bottom to top of the league inside 12 months, with entertaining football and scoring goals for fun, is lucky, makes poor substitutions,has unsound judgment because certain players are playing and others aren't, is stubborn because he won't change a winning team, and we should be preparing for his sacking 7 months before promotion is confirmed because he won't cut the mustard in the Championship.

Keep it coming folks I am in stitches.

Quite, asfred.

So if you manipulate factors in your favour, you are more likely to receive the desired benefits. 

Having come home, in the light, with company, avoiding known notorious streets: I was lucky not to get mugged last night.

Or put it another way... Having come home, in the light, with company, avoiding known notorious streets: I was unucky to get mugged last night.

What an entertaining read.

Suggesting SC is a legend would be bonkers but probably isn't what the OP meant in a literal sense.

So to re-dress the balance we have the manager that has taken us from bottom to top of the league inside 12 months, with entertaining football and scoring goals for fun, is lucky, makes poor substitutions,has unsound judgment because certain players are playing and others aren't, is stubborn because he won't change a winning team, and we should be preparing for his sacking 7 months before promotion is confirmed because he won't cut the mustard in the Championship.

Keep it coming folks I am in stitches.

And finally, someone talks sense. In response to the earlier poster who said we should sack SC as soon as he gets us promoted, I'd sue BCFC if I was SC and they did that to me.

I really don't get this Kid.

I can just about understand - although I didn't share them - people having severe misgivings about his appointment and voicing them at the time. Feelings were running high.

However SC kept City up with some style, his team plays exciting, entertaining, and WINNING football, he's made a number of superb signings, and less than one year on, - almost unbelievably - Bristol City sit unbeaten at the top of the league they looked likely to exit ignominiously under his predecessor.

Whatever your thoughts at the time, how can you fail to be impressed since by the man who has made such a huge improvement to the enjoyment of being a BCFC fan?

What exactly has Mr.Cotterill got to do for you to accept that he's not only proving to be an excellent manager for BCFC, but his appointment is increasingly looking like a masterstroke?

I can just about understand - although I didn't share them - people having severe misgivings about his appointment and voicing them at the time. Feelings were running high.

However SC kept City up with some style, his team plays exciting, entertaining, and WINNING football, he's made a number of superb signings, and less than one year on, - almost unbelievably - Bristol City sit unbeaten at the top of the league they looked likely to exit ignominiously under his predecessor.

Whatever your thoughts at the time, how can you fail to be impressed since by the man who has made such a huge improvement to the enjoyment of being a BCFC fan?

What exactly has Mr.Cotterill got to do for you to accept that he's not only proving to be an excellent manager for BCFC, but his appointment is increasingly looking like a masterstroke?

Got to agree with you here.

Was never a fan of Cotterill before he came here and was pretty worried when we appointed him, but I don't think you can offer anything except praise for the way he's turned the whole club around in the past 12 months. 

I still had reservations going into this season, as I was a bit worried he'd bring in stereotypical League One lump footballers over the summer and gradually mould us into 'that' sort of team...

However, the start to the season has been beyond my wildest expectations, we're scoring loads of goals, playing great stuff with exciting young players and a homegrown talent in the side every week. My first 'live' game of the season will be at Coventry on Saturday, and I haven't been this excited about attending a game in years.

Lansdown has backed him, and the players also need a lot of credit, but Cotterill has done a fantastic job so far. If he gets us promoted this season he will fully deserve his chance to build on that in the Championship. The suggestion of getting rid in the summer as he's not a 'Championship manager' is both disrespectful and ridiculous.

He likes to be different, always has been.

I don't understand either Nogbad, SC has been nothing but a breath of fresh air since he's come in. Fantastic!

Oh and this lucky business is trash, trouble is if we lose a few.. ' I told you so ' threads appear!

He won a aword as  manager. Cotts said it was the team and supporters and the whole Club who won the price. Liked Cotts in the first intewiev. The results speak for itselfs. Can we go all the way, thats good. As I understands it he is a very good manager. He sees the player everyday and knows how to put the right formation. Confidence is also important for the gaffer. So far so good. Coyr

He's doing. Great job, as he did last season.

I don't want us to make the same mistake we did with GJ and let him do what he wanted, which externally seemed as though he did exactly that.

My biggest fears history repeating itself and us being back in league one yo yo-ing between here and the championship.

The problem is that a lot of our fans are used to mediocrity, it's completely and utterly justified really, I've been following city for 30 years and there has been a few good moments but generally we are ingrained by mediocrity and the mindset that comes with it.

My comment about sacking SC was more about changing that settling for mediocrity mindset. I personally don't believe based on his past record and from some of the things I witness that he is capable of getting us promoted to the premier league.

I think that I'm justified in my opinion, others may disagree (some already have obviously), however my point is why carry on the way we have for the last 30 years, why not (if we get promoted) aim for promotion straight to the premiere league rather than scraping to survive relegation.

We/us/you need to think big, aim high, everyone has their role to play IMHO Sc is to get us out of this league but then.................THEN instead of thinking about survival, think big, life's too short for mediocrity.

Please note that I think SC is doing a great job, were top of the league and I hope it stays that way but it is my opinion that we will finish in the top 6. It is also my opinion that if we do go up automatically then why not THINK BIG?

Fair play... its official... you are CLUELESS and know NOTHING about football.......

Yep that's correct, my opinion differs from yours, wow you are just a fountain of knowledge, a wealth of intelligence, so. Much so that you can't even respect people's views and aspirations for the club may differ from yours.

Don't bother replying, I've popped you on ignore, I suggest you do the same as I know nothing anyway.

Archived