IGNORED

Anyone Not Planning On Going To Wembley If We Get There?

Big Red Rich

I do think that there's a lot of revisionism regarding the original stadium. I went a couple of times nearer to the end and it was falling apart.

All stadiums are out to get your money.

Most tickets prices are overpriced, anywhere.

The new Wembley is fine. I'd argue that the perennial problem lies with the lack of atmosphere which is down to the fans. Poland proved that you can make a racket in that stadium.

I'm almost impressed by the level of 3rd Tier elitism suggested by some of you guys though, it's incredible stuff. If you were a down on your luck former 'giant' like Leeds United then I'd roll my eyes and sort of understand. But you're Bristol City, a team who have reached four(?) finals and have played in this competition in the 1980's, 90's, 00's and 10's thus suggesting that you're not exactly strangers to this dastardly level of football.

I do think that there's a lot of revisionism regarding the original stadium. I went a couple of times nearer to the end and it was falling apart.

The new Wembley is fine. I'd argue that the perennial problem lies with the lack of atmosphere which is down to the fans. Poland proved that you can make a racket in that stadium.

I'm almost impressed by the level of 3rd Tier elitism suggested by some of you guys though, it's incredible stuff. If you were a down on your luck former 'giant' like Leeds United then I'd roll my eyes and sort of understand. But you're Bristol City, a team who have reached four(?) finals and have played in this competition in the 1980's, 90's, 00's and 10's thus suggesting that you're not exactly strangers to this dastardly level of football.

I found the old Wembley a depressing shit-hole, and I find the new Wembley a soulless bowl of money grabbing excess.

I'm in if we make it in March.

I think there are two things being mixed up here a little:

- firstly the fans who will not got to the final if we get there, as it is beneath us. Its a free country, but I disagree;

- secondly the fans, like me, who worry it will get in the way of league success. That is nothing about it is beneath us, but I would not have shed a tear if we had lost, and seen it as maybe a blessing in disguise.

For all of those sitting in the second camp it is nothing to do with elitism. I respect others even then have other views, but see the league as overriding priority. Most of the 'we do not need this cup' I suspect are falling in that second camp. Let me ask you this question. On balance, as a rival for one of those two promotion spots, are you displeased or pleased the more we progress in the cups? If we were mid table, then heck, lets enjoy it.

City only get to England's National Stadium a few times in my lifetime.

Its a no brainer!

Go (as will at least 30,000 others)

30,000 would go but yet only 3k can be fked to turn up for earlier rounds and 300 of us were at Peterborough?

Whoever said we were a club of fair weathers....

I don't consider myself elitist because I consider this competition an embarrassment. Also, quite frankly, I'm getting rather tired of people saying that Bristol City are historically a 3rd tier club so should be content to play 3rd and 4th tier competitions. We spent 10 years in two spells in the top tier but I didn't hear anyone then saying that we should really be joining the FA Cup at the Rd 1 stage coz really we're not a top or top two tier club!

Jeez, Hull City were deffo not historically a top tier club when they played us in the 2008 play off final, coz they'd amounted zero seasons at that level up to that juncture. But look at them now. Plus they've made an FA Cup Final to boot. Good job they didn't have defeatist fans like us who were content to play 3rd and 4th tier cup finals because they're historically a 3rd level outfit!

It is rather like this. Sir Edmund Hillary wasn't content to climb the ant hill in his back garden simply because for most of his life his back garden contained an ant hill and not Mount Everest. No, he knew that climbing an ant hill resulted in zero kudos so he refused to climb it anymore and instead aimed big. Along with Sherpa Van Tensing he became the first man to climb Mount Everest and live to tell the tale! 

- firstly the fans who will not got to the final if we get there, as it is beneath us. Its a free country, but I disagree;

- secondly the fans, like me, who worry it will get in the way of league success. That is nothing about it is beneath us, but I would not have shed a tear if we had lost, and seen it as maybe a blessing in disguise.

For all of those sitting in the second camp it is nothing to do with elitism. I respect others even then have other views, but see the league as overriding priority. Most of the 'we do not need this cup' I suspect are falling in that second camp. Let me ask you this question. On balance, as a rival for one of those two promotion spots, are you displeased or pleased the more we progress in the cups? If we were mid table, then heck, lets enjoy it.

I'm in the second camp with a nodding glance to the first camp.

I don't like this cup. I think it's crap and the fact you get fined for not fielding a strong team means the organisers itself recognize it as tinpot.

I'm embarrassed being in it because it merely reminds me what a crap league we are in...

But for me the main reason I want us out is because we are top.

We've lost 2 games we shouldn't have lost and need to keep our focus to stay top.

More irrelevant games, more risk of injuries etc,

I don't want us to suffer that. Let's focus on the league / end up top and then we don't even have a thread about this shite cup next season.

86' Bolton win was a great day out - the first visit of a Bristol Club to Wembley.

87' Still a good day out.

2000 Disappointing day (Delilah still p***** me off)

2003 I left the Mill Stad thinking so what?!

Younger fans will probably feel like I did in '86 but for me the novelty is over - I won't be going

86' Bolton win was a great day out - the first visit of a Bristol Club to Wembley.

87' Still a good day out.

2000 Disappointing day (Delilah still p***** me off)

2003 I left the Mill Stad thinking so what?!

Younger fans will probably feel like I did in '86 but for me the novelty is over - I won't be going

Exactly how I feel.

On balance, as a rival for one of those two promotion spots, are you displeased or pleased the more we progress in the cups? If we were mid table, then heck, lets enjoy it.

RE: The JPT. I don't think it matters a great deal. I was at your match last night and I can safely say that you won 2-0 without ever needing to get going. In fact in most JPT games I've ever been to the winners on the night have got through without having 'step up' to levels that are required elsewhere.

Swindon Town played an addition 12 matches the year we won Divvy 4. Simply because we had the squad to cater the L2/JPT/FA Cup runs. I think Bristol City have the squad and the finances to see out both.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mourn the JPT if it was ended. 

The reason I am taking interest, is for this scenario.

In 30 years time, wherever the club may be, we will look back on this season as one of the greatest in the clubs history, doing the double, winning both the league, and the JPT.

No-one then will go 'Ah yeah, but we only won League One which is a shocking league, and the JPT means **** all anyway.'

RE: The JPT. I don't think it matters a great deal. I was at your match last night and I can safely say that you won 2-0 without ever needing to get going. In fact in most JPT games I've ever been to the winners on the night have got through without having 'step up' to levels that are required elsewhere.

Swindon Town played an addition 12 matches the year we won Divvy 4. Simply because we had the squad to cater the L2/JPT/FA Cup runs. I think Bristol City have the squad and the finances to see out both.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mourn the JPT if it was ended. 

Why were you there? STALKER!

;)

Had to chuckle reading through some of the opinions on this thread ha. For me if you go or dont go it dosnt make you any more or less of a fan IMO..

We have been in 3 finals of recent times, carlisle, brighton and Hull and on every occasion taken over 30k. For me this will be no different, we will take 30 k plus so the people worrying it will be embarassing neither bother!

Don't forget Stoke as well (2000)

If you look back at the stats (I did a few years back) - our 2nd tier v 3 tier status is damn close - when I get 5 minutes, I will look it up again, so historically we are not a third tier side. (2.5 tier!) - I will be going to Wembley whatever tier we are in!

Tomo

It is very close, but the point still stands about it, but if I can afford it then i, like you, will go to Wembley whatever tier we are in for whatever final

Level 1  -    9 seasons

Level 2  -  47 seasons

Level 3  -  44 seasons

Level 4  -    2 seasons

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bric.htm

If a comparison is required (just for a laugh);

Pikey Gobshites;

Level 1  -    0 seasons

Level 2  -  20 seasons

Level 3  -  58 seasons

Level 4  -    9 seasons

Level 2 = 47 ????

Calculated 46 - pmsl

I don't consider myself elitist because I consider this competition an embarrassment. Also, quite frankly, I'm getting rather tired of people saying that Bristol City are historically a 3rd tier club so should be content to play 3rd and 4th tier competitions. We spent 10 years in two spells in the top tier but I didn't hear anyone then saying that we should really be joining the FA Cup at the Rd 1 stage coz really we're not a top or top two tier club!

Jeez, Hull City were deffo not historically a top tier club when they played us in the 2008 play off final, coz they'd amounted zero seasons at that level up to that juncture. But look at them now. Plus they've made an FA Cup Final to boot. Good job they didn't have defeatist fans like us who were content to play 3rd and 4th tier cup finals because they're historically a 3rd level outfit!

It is rather like this. Sir Edmund Hillary wasn't content to climb the ant hill in his back garden simply because for most of his life his back garden contained an ant hill and not Mount Everest. No, he knew that climbing an ant hill resulted in zero kudos so he refused to climb it anymore and instead aimed big. Along with Sherpa Van Tensing he became the first man to climb Mount Everest and live to tell the tale! 

I don't see where anyone is saying we should be content with being in 3rd and 4th tier tournaments.  Quite the opposite actually.  I want to see us in the Premiership, I want to see us competing at the highest level......there is no reason why a City then size of ours, that has a football club with a man like Steve L in charge....should not be challenging in with the elite.  I also realise that, in the mean time.....we are a League 1 team who, apart from one season where we nearly made the Prem...have for the last 30 years or so, competed at League 1 level, or struggled in the Championship.

Southampton...a club who over the last 30 years, have spent most of their time in the top league, got to an FA Cup final and competed in the UEFA Cup....even took 43,000 to this final.  Cant imagine they had to many turning their noses up at it?

I'm starting to understand what some Sags mean now when they turn round and say we think we are a lot bigger then we are.

I do however....agree with this. 

I won't be able to make it (abroad) and am absolutely gutted about it. Not just because 1986 is still one of my favourite City memories but also because it will be my boy's first match at Wembley and I hate the thought of not being there with him. Thanks to a mate, he will still be there and that's the most important thing - these occasions don't come along often so you have to make the most of them and you can enjoy the JPT a lot more than a play off final because the result isn't as critical. All of this assumes we get there of course - no chickens being counted here!

30,000 would go but yet only 3k can be fked to turn up for earlier rounds and 300 of us were at Peterborough?

Whoever said we were a club of fair weathers....

Alternatively maybe you could perhaps consider just for a second the possibility that most fans have limited financial resources and have to choose their games accordingly?

On this basis many supporters will choose not to go to a match 300 miles away being shown on the TV, but might decide to make a rare trip to Wembley.

It's not "fairweather" support, it's the reality of economics for the vast majority of supporters who have plenty more things to pay for than just football matches.

In other words, get over yourself.

Archived